More than one regualar downtime a week is a SERIOUS problem...

Cancrizans

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to point something out to the common response "its only once a week and a couple of times they had to do something during the week".

Game launched on Dec 20th. There have been 20 patches since launch. Never have 2 been applied the same day. For us that can only play during patch hours that means in 44 days this game has been unavailable to us about 45% of the time.

In other words no, its not once a week, its 3 out of 7 days. Love paying for things i cant use half the time... feels good.

That many patches since launch is inexcusable, period.

This just proves that the game was, like many other mmo's, absolutely not ready for launch.

When are game companies going to learn to NOT rush things? I can almost guarantee that Blizz's "Titan" will run smoother than this at launch. After seeing so many games fail due to rushing a release I am positive they will take their time.

Do I like it when the servers come down on my one day off during the 7 day week? No, but I also don't come on the forums and complain about it.

no you just come on the forums to read about it and comment about it ;)

@ bega

I am not offended & i also hope you read my reply the same

this is a game PPL pay to enjoy a game

so if it is not up to expectations is it the player of the spin doctors fault ?

it is both

I want this game to improve but if my expectations & 1000's of others are not managed

people will leave

this 2012 player base you talk may be the most greedy self absorbed demanding player base BUT it is the player base

it is also good to see you re subed

maybe you should change your sig

So I am paying for BETA? Well I won't be paying again. Mark my words.

Bye!

Just to reiterate:

Some additional TOR-related statistics and Q&A from today's EA earnings call: "2,000,000+ copies sold, 40% sold through Origin; 1,700,000+ active subscribers, 1 million concurrent." The company also notes that "Active subscribers means anyone paying OR in their trial period. MOST of those 1.7m are paying at this point.

Perhaps a solution would be having alternate times, this week have downtime at 2am CST, next week have downtime at 2am GMT.

That way fair is fair and everyone will have at least 1 week where they have their playtime interrupted.

But today's downtime is the 3rd time this week, I understand having to fix bugs and problem, in fact I appreciate the fact that they are onto this so quickly. But couldn't Saturday's have been held off until Tuesday?

And weren't these issues found on the Test Servers when they first deployed the pach there?

oh cmon it is a 2hrs downtime and is supposed to fix the freeze issues many players have!

All this QQing cause bioware tries to fix gamebreaking problems??

This forum is not even funny anymore ^^

The is no try! There is only DO! ;-p

I'm 44, and not some kid who just started working at night, been doing it for 25+ years so I know the routine, probably more so than you. Because I do have a life, and a family, I can only play at certain times (the same time the servers are down). Now while that may indeed be my problem, I may choose to go back to "lord of the rings" where the down time is limited to once a week (at worst). Since I am a paying customer, it's my right to bring this issue to their attention.

I too was born in 1967, an I am very well aware of the issue. As I siad, it is your responsibility to work around bio's playtime's not theirs to work ro8und yours.The game has also been out a month, now I am not ther biggest fan of bioware, but they are working at fixing the game, so obviously it isn't going to ideal for a while.

Bye!

Just to reiterate:

Some additional TOR-related statistics and Q&A from today's EA earnings call: "2,000,000+ copies sold, 40% sold through Origin; 1,700,000+ active subscribers, 1 million concurrent." The company also notes that "Active subscribers means anyone paying OR in their trial period. MOST of those 1.7m are paying at this point.

So are you asserting that because that many are playing at this point, no significant number will ever leave over the kind of issues this thread is about?

Or are you just spamming those stats all over the forums as a mindless response to any critical comments?

Now that is 100% false. CCP takes 24 to 48 hours for a patch.

The daily reset at 0 GMT is for a minor restart.

You obviously don't play Eve. For an expansion it may take 8 hours and sometimes a little more but that is once every six months.

EDIT

If you really do play Eve you ever log on and it says you have to update and download a 1-30 meg patch? They do those in 30 minutes. Its incredible I know.

Edited by HarryFarina

reposting what I wrote from a very similar closed thread.

I too am unsettled by this.

the patches tend to start at 12 a.m(pst). and end at 8 in the morning. Which is nice, but for me, my main gametime is from 11 pm-2 am. Now, I understand why you're picking those times, but couldn't you pick other time-frames for the minor patches. Such as todays 2 hour patch. You could easily move patches such as these anywhere from 2am-5am.

Also, as the OP has said, you should mix it up a bit. Throw 8 hour patches that start at early morning intervals as well ( starting anywhere from PST 0500-0800). Yes one day will be gone for the community, but instead of aliagnating one group over and over again, have different timezones be burdened instead. Because if this keeps up, I may have to cancel.

I am not paying $15 a month to not play when I can. But i do love this game, and I do WANT to play. If everyone takes a little of the burden, it will be better than one group getting shafted every time.

all in all, if we're going to continue to keep getting patches every few days, mix up the times you implement them. If you can knock it down to once a week, then there is no major problem having a stable time frame. The problem is the time AND the frequency combined.

I too was born in 1967, an I am very well aware of the issue. As I siad, it is your responsibility to work around bio's playtime's not theirs to work ro8und yours.The game has also been out a month, now I am not ther biggest fan of bioware, but they are working at fixing the game, so obviously it isn't going to ideal for a while.

I'm not sure what is sadder, the fact that you cancelled 15 days ago and are still posting on the forums or that you are 5 years older than me and still have such a spineless attitude regarding corporate to customer relations.

He is a paying customer and has a right to complain about irregular service, as do I, and as does anyone who subscribes. Don't assume that being gullible before authority makes you responsible, in fact just the opposite.

True, not funny anymore.

I just wonder...

[...]

ok i did never play rift so cant argue with you on this one.

Regarding the "But this game ist great" part i want to give you my pov:

First i do feel that swtor is great and for my playstyle and for what i expect from the game it is even the best game i've played so far.

This is because for me swtor is - 60% story, 30% pvp and 10% PVE-Endgame.

1. Story:

I plan on playing through all the 8 class-storys cause i love the approach to see the story of the game from 8 different perspectives... this is a novum in the history of games!

On each class i do only around 30% of the sidequests so i will have new quests with each class. This works fine and i fill up the levels with flashpoints and pvp.

That alone will keep me subbed for 12 month at least.

2. PVP:

I just love the post patch 1.1 warzones as they are more skill AND team-oriented than in most games. Ilum is a mess sometimes, but there are times on my server where you can have great open world pvp. (note i chose a rp-pvp server, cause they have more balanced factions)

3. PVE:

I did some Operations in normal and hardmode but i mostly did them to see the story and the atmosphere... I am not so much interested in farming pve gear cause i dont see the point. For me there was no bug during the EV and KP operations and we had a lot of fun... only problem that i see is that the Hardmodes are way to easy ...

So to sum it up ...

yea i do like the game very much and as i said befor i still think it is simple qq'ing to call 2hrs downtime a SERIOUS problem. It is annoying for those who like to play during the night or in the morning (its 10p.m. here in the EU) but would you rather like Bioware to wait till next week with the freeze-fix? This is just a bit egoistic i.m.o.

Edited by Davenmor

So to sum it up ...

yea i do like the game very much and as i said befor i still think it is simple qq'ing to call 2hrs downtime a SERIOUS problem. It is annoying for those who like to play during the night or in the morning (its 10p.m. here in the EU) but would you rather like Bioware to wait till next week with the freeze-fix? This is just a bit egoistic i.m.o.

Two hours isn't a serious problem but tonight isn't the only downtime has ever happened. Your missing the argument entirely. It's about the frequency and length of downtime not just tonight.

I'm not sure what is sadder, the fact that you cancelled 15 days ago and are still posting on the forums or that you are 5 years older than me and still have such a spineless attitude regarding corporate to customer relations.

He is a paying customer and has a right to complain about irregular service, as do I, and as does anyone who subscribes. Don't assume that being gullible before authority makes you responsible, in fact just the opposite.

Well said. One minor point: he could have cancelled today, half way through the monthly sub cycle, & has just now decided to share the sand in his ****** with the rest of us. It takes all sorts you know <BFG>.

I agree OP it is... and a sub losing problem especially when they book an 8 hour slot for it then muck something up and have to pull another 4 hours.. then a further 2...

Sloppy very sloppy all that's being fixed is what they've broken... considering there are still bugged class quests and bugs that have been around since beta...

I have seen them come up early more than I have seen them have to extend dt.

It's a new game, lots of issues, the maintenance has yet to be refined. It will get better, have no doubt.

They released an unfinished game with a lot of bugs.

Their patches aren't tested well so it's normal that they need to do this.

It's their approach on these issues.

I've seen companies do a much better job but also a much worse so well take it or leave I guess.

I'm a bit fed up with things being still bugged one month after release even small stuff (social points) or bigger things ( about every raid boss).

To try and put this as plainly as I can, taking the servers down as often as they have been is completely unacceptable.

at the moment they take them down once or twice a week for maybe 4 to 6 hours (usualy they are done prior to schedule) unless you play 24/7 which you shouldnt that makes a loss of barely a few % of hours per week, and that is during work times and off peak.

what are you complaining about ?

Two hours isn't a serious problem but tonight isn't the only downtime has ever happened. Your missing the argument entirely. It's about the frequency and length of downtime not just tonight.

No i dont miss the argument... they could just put everything in one single weekly-patch. This would mean that everyone with a gamebreaking problem would not be able to play for 6 days in the worst case. So you have to prioritise ... whats more important?

1. the 20% of the playerbase (that have a gamebreaking bug) will not play for 6 days!

2. 100% of the playerbase will not be able to play for 2-8 hours

The only answere to this is: OPTION 2 ^^ and thats what Bioware is doing. I agree it would be best if those bugs would not occure in the first place ... but cmon

They are taken down while America sleeps.

If you are in Europe they servers have gone down every single time when Europe is awake.

Lots of people want to play during the day such as :

- People who work from home and have breaks during the day

- People who are retired

- People who are on holiday

- People who work weekends

- People who are unemployed

- People who work odd shifts

There are just lots of examples of people who want to play the game at some point during the day.

They are taken down while America sleeps.

If you are in Europe they servers have gone down every single time when Europe is awake.

Lots of people want to play during the day such as :

- People who work from home and have breaks during the day

- People who are retired

- People who are on holiday

- People who work weekends

- People who are unemployed

- People who work odd shifts

There are just lots of examples of people who want to play the game at some point during the day.

there are people in america who are affected by the downtime too....

but you dont hear me complain...