More than one regualar downtime a week is a SERIOUS problem...

Cancrizans

What is the point in paying a fee when I can't play it whenever I want ?:mad: 3 times this week: scheduled maintenance for a patch. I think I'll be back in a year, when hopefully will hire some professionals. I already suspended my payments until I'll see some progress.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the "yes its good to take down the servers to make sure they working correctly mentality" but also with the "no, its not good to take them down so much"

The servers are just down very long when they take them down, I have no issue with fixing the problems but I do wish BioWare would just put our mind at ease somehow but telling us why they are down...you know try and justify it to us.

I appreciate them wanting to fix the game of its bugs but as many have said the amount of money we spend on the game a month...its just a waste with all these interruptions. If you gonna take the server down, then just do it for shorter periods, maybe arrange once every 2 weeks or once a month for a extensive patch of 8 hours. Just tell us beforehand.

Also the comments about them taking servers down over such small bugs...I am not clued up on the patching processes but I find it hard to believe that for the size and amount of fixes they have in some if not most of these patches does not justify the time spent and like I said time is money, our money.

Without wanting to contradict myself, I want to say thank for the patches but try and streamline your patching methods to maximize our game time, we pay for this game and we promote it everyday (so i believe of most Star Wars fans)

Give us some indication that BioWare reads these forums and considers us and try and explain to us why these long offline periods need to be so regular and long, piece of mind will go a long way for me.

I suspect this has less to do with fixing 'game breaking bugs' and more to do with poorly developed change control processes. As a developer of line-of-business systems, I've seen this pattern of hurried deployment all too often, particularly with new teams. They need to get builds locked in quickly or it'll quickly become a gigantic mess.

As well as being a huge inconvenience to users, deployments cost a fortune. I can scarcely imagine how much money they're wasting right now.

But give them time; they'll sort themselves out eventually.

Just canceled my sub. Maintenance every 3 days? No way I'm paying for this anymore.

I still have 2 moths payed in advance, but this is a deal breaker for me since it happens mid day!

If BW get their act together by the time my sub ends, I'll consider re-subbing. But as it is now, no way.

And to the people saying ITS ONLY 15 BUCKS QQ......Its more then that. The price of the box, for me the CE. Not to mention the collateral money we pay just to play..Internet, electricity and on and on.

Thats alot of money. Period. And in this economy?

I bust my butt, and I want service for it. No service/no money...simple

You're paying for internet access and electricity simply to play TOR? I somehow doubt that.

Edited by Tewnam

I'm trying to understand why they need 4-6 hours for regular maintenance, I seem to remember all my other mmos taking 1 hour a day to reboot the servers and then it was business as usual.

Technology seems to be going backwards.

It takes 1 hour to reboot once you're into regular maintenance and you're not implementing continuous patches. Many MMOs are down for 4-8 hours a week for the first several months of their lifetime.

I've already cancelled my sub and had actually even stopped coming to the boards but apparently I subscribed to this thread awhile ago and got an update. I find it hilarious that they are doing another patch this week. Now, I understand the whole stance that they should fix breaking bugs quickly, but if you read the patch notes for what is going into this next patch, you can easily see what the real problem is:

This patch will resolve the following:

Killing players on Ilum will now consistently grant Valor and mission credit as intended.

See, the real issue is that first, they broke this with their 'regular' patch on Tuesday, and now they are having another patch JUST to fix this 1 bug which wasn't there on Monday!

Now, I have experience in the software industry both as development and project management. I know what a typical dev lifecycle looks like and my guess is that BW pushed out a product before it was ready, hired on a bunch of new devs/qa resources that were not familiar with the code or platform, and sealed the deal by NOT implementing safeguards and processes to take into account that fact.

What results is a bunch of code that is not implemented well, is not tested well, and is pushed out without proper verification that it is production ready. I'm not saying it's the devs fault, or the qa's fault. I actually think it's management (no idea at what level) that is forcing this situation.

And of course, it all started with releasing a product that was not ready for production launch. I don't care how many other mmo's in the past launched with more issues, etc. I personally have experienced a mmo launch that I would say was 'smooth' and this is far from it.

Do I think this game can be saved? Maybe, depending on what management plans as far as how things should be run once they ever get out of this launch nightmare. But I don't think this will smooth out for at least another 2 months, which is how long I think it will take for devs/qa to become much more familiarized with the code, and for some better change control processes to be implemented.

Then again, if BW thinks the current trend is acceptable, and continues pushing out content/changes with such poor oversight, it may never end. It will be interesting to see how well the next content patches fare. While it's great that they have separate teams to split up new content and bug fixes, the way things have been going, I completely expect new content patches will break stuff that used to work due to lack of integration testing with existing code, etc.

I'm considering canceling my subscription because of this. 12 am on the west coast is way to early to take the servers down. I work late, I have a life and can play during the night. This is totally unacceptable to me, how about 3am PST and give Europe their own servers.

Quite honestly I don't care if they take it down during when I have the chance to play. I don't really plan my life around the game, if servers are up, then great I'll veg out. If the servers are down, whatever, it'll be there tomorrow.

People have complained non stop for the past month that the the change their fixing is game breaking, and they've responded. To that end, there will always be someone inconvenienced by whatever downtime they choose... they're in a lose / lose situation.

I'm considering canceling my subscription because of this. 12 am on the west coast is way to early to take the servers down. I work late, I have a life and can play during the night. This is totally unacceptable to me, how about 3am PST and give Europe their own servers.

/play sad violin

How about acknowledge the fact that they've managed to have no server crashes since release and the downtime at 12pm PST affects people the least?

They have crews working through the night to do this. They could very well patch middle of the day……. when people should be working or in school…. but no…. they do it late for us.

These are patches which improve the game........ and having them too frequently is problem for you? You're EST and aren't affected by them at all...... but 'b' about them anyways. :rolleyes:

Go try an Indy game and see how often you even get a chance to play. Servers crash endlessly and feedback from the developers on upcoming fixes are almost non-existent. When they do patch, it’s middle of the day because their employees only work 9-5.

This is 'best practice' and BioWare is creating a standard here to be followed by other MMOs.

Sry OP..... you don't know what you're talking about..... which is probably why this thread is so long........ either that or I broke rule and got trolled hard having responded after only reading the OP……

Edited by stem

You can always find time to do it again, but never enough time to get it right the first time.

It's an old saying.

Bioware, I'd appreciate it if you'd test your "patches" a little better before production release. If you continue to make these fixes that break fixes, you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

How about the ability to copy over our characters to the PTR instead of trying to level on them so we can test better?

To the OP.

As much as I hate them taking down the servers during the day for the whole europe, and they just keep doing it over and over even though we specifically stated that europe HATES IT I still think that leaving the patches and downtimes for 1 time a week is bad. The sooner they can fix stuff the better.

I just wish they didn't make Europe pay.

That wall of text is just the mewlings of another MMO virgin who's apparently never participated in a new game launch.

These things taper off with time. All of the new games I've played in the last few years have had the same issue, which eventually settled into the weekly downtime. Hell, even Blizzard can't launch an expansion without having to fix things several times a week for the first few weeks.

Get over it already. For a first time MMO launch, BioWare is not doing badly at all.

Can you imagine how pissed people in the West Coast are who are getting their service shut down at midnight every couple of days because of relatively insignificant issues?

We actually have jobs out here, so most of us are already in bed, or headed in that direction. Don't really see why having the server go down at 4AM EST is such a big deal, don't you have school in the morning?

It is also painting Bioware as completely amateur regarding their understanding of both how MMOs are run and what customers expect.

Newsflash Professor. This is their first MMO. You might want to actually look up the word 'amateur' when you get to school today.