More than one regualar downtime a week is a SERIOUS problem...

Cancrizans

The only way the OP's complaint concerns me is an online game that needs multiple maintenance downtimes a week makes me wonder about its overall stability or program integrity.

That being said, I couldn't help but notice just how many people in this thread are here to panhandle for praise from strangers on the internet.

That has to be at least a dozen times more pathetic than some guy complaining about a double downtimes in one week of a subscription online game.

We get it, you're better than the OP. Nobody is impressed and a monkey ontop of a music box would be more entertaining.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They wouldn't have brought it down if it wasn't something they deemed important. They know better then you do i assure you. And it wasn't that long seriously it was an hour and a half and it was supposed to be 2 hours. I mean, come on man get a life.

ok i aint even gonna read through the entire thread. I am getting sick and tired of reading about people ******** about every little thing that happens. If they feel it is nessecary to take the game down for a small amount of time let them do it. Find something else to do. It is as simple as that let them fix the issues. World of Warcraft, when it first came out would go up and down all week to fix the issues and if u say they didnt ur a ******* liar. You make it out to seem that if you cant play the game that your life is over well get used to disappointment cuz it wont be the last time. Edited by Sireene
lang

To try and put this as plainly as I can, taking the servers down as often as they have been is completely unacceptable. It is also painting Bioware as completely amateur regarding their understanding of both how MMOs are run and what customers expect.

It is NOT acceptable to take servers down every couple of days to fix minor exploits, performance issues that affect less than a majority of customers, or any other reason besides extreme stability issues which make the game unplayable. Because I can guarantee that most people would rather deal with such issues than not play the game at all.

I realize this is a young game and there will be some growing pains. But I know for a fact a LOT of people are becoming really turned off by this attitude of "OOoooo! We found a bug, let's take the servers down!". I am mad enough as it is and I am on EST. Can you imagine how pissed people in the West Coast are who are getting their service shut down at midnight every couple of days because of relatively insignificant issues?

I am not sure what the reason is for this apparent total lack of concern for industry standard patching schedules, but it had better end quick or this game is going to lose a lot of subs. That is not a threat, it is just reality.

EDIT: If you are going to make some comment about "I am glad the servers are down at least they are fixing the game", save your breath. Every other MMO I have ever played has fixed their games by taking the servers down once a week. And I will add this: I guarantee you wouldn't be singing the same song if they took them down during YOUR prime playing hours.

Or does it paint you as an amateur to MMOs?

then again. . .

TLDR: I have no life so I'm online all day every day so taking the servers down more than once a week means I have to interact with the real world and that upsets me.

that about sums it up

Edited by FourTwent

Wait, I thought it was a good thing that they take things down frequently to repair them? Or at least people were claiming that Trion did it with Rift and it showed they cared, that they were on top of things, and they were trying.

Now it's not a good thing?

I really need to be updated on these things and know when they change.

Can you imagine how pissed people in the West Coast are who are getting their service shut down at midnight every couple of days because of relatively insignificant issues?

My friends in the game and I are on the West Coast so I don't really to have to use my imagination, we're not pissed at all that a game is unavailable for a few hours in the middle of the night.

Wait, I thought it was a good thing that they take things down frequently to repair them? Or at least people were claiming that Trion did it with Rift and it showed they cared, that they were on top of things, and they were trying.

Now it's not a good thing?

I really need to be updated on these things and know when they change.

It changes all the time, really. It's like this: "This issue has been here since beta for **** sake. FIX IT!" Then a couple of days later when they finally fix it it's like. "NOOOO! What the hell are you doing I WANNA PLAY!" I just don't get people, but then again this is the Internet.

What I find to be a "SERIOUS" problem is all the QQ'ing going on about taking the dang servers down to FIX things. This is a new game. This is an MMO. This is actually quite par for the course and it has been a lot worse for other games. Do you forget that this game launched only a month ago? Do you forget that it's an MMO? There are going to be serious problems that simply can't wait a week to get fixed. One thing that comes to mind is the ganking that was going on in Illum. While I'm personally not there yet and I still don't understand why they are focusing on fixing PvP so much over PvE, I do appreciate the fact that they saw something so big and fix it asap.

BTW: The other MMO I play only goes down once a week for maintence, yes, however when it launched, it was going down several times for maint for a few months in the beginning.

And to you're statement: Yes I would be singing the same tune if it was taken down during my prime playing time. My world doesn't revolve around the virtual one in the computer. I read sometimes too as well as go out with friends. You should try it sometime.

TL;DR Version:

Get over it.

What I find to be a "SERIOUS" problem is all the QQ'ing going on about taking the dang servers down to FIX things.

I don't see it as a problem at all. I find it quite entertaining and I'm thankful I have these posts to fill the downtime at work :)

To try and put this as plainly as I can, taking the servers down as often as they have been is completely unacceptable. It is also painting Bioware as completely amateur regarding their understanding of both how MMOs are run and what customers expect.

It is NOT acceptable to take servers down every couple of days to fix minor exploits, performance issues that affect less than a majority of customers, or any other reason besides extreme stability issues which make the game unplayable. Because I can guarantee that most people would rather deal with such issues than not play the game at all.

I realize this is a young game and there will be some growing pains. But I know for a fact a LOT of people are becoming really turned off by this attitude of "OOoooo! We found a bug, let's take the servers down!". I am mad enough as it is and I am on EST. Can you imagine how pissed people in the West Coast are who are getting their service shut down at midnight every couple of days because of relatively insignificant issues?

I am not sure what the reason is for this apparent total lack of concern for industry standard patching schedules, but it had better end quick or this game is going to lose a lot of subs. That is not a threat, it is just reality.

EDIT: If you are going to make some comment about "I am glad the servers are down at least they are fixing the game", save your breath. Every other MMO I have ever played has fixed their games by taking the servers down once a week. And I will add this: I guarantee you wouldn't be singing the same song if they took them down during YOUR prime playing hours.

Funniest thing I've read all day.

Only twice a week is pretty good in my experience. Especially for a new release.

They don't take the servers down just to fix bugs. They also do server maintenance.

not if there is more than one serious problem that needs to be addressed that week. that hitching and stuff they are talking about wasnt minor. it was making the game pretty much unplayable for anyone that it was affecting me included and no I wouldnt just live with it till next tuesday either because it was impossible to just live with it. the last two days or so ive gotten did my dailies and daily dungeon, that was about all i was able to do. i raided tuesday night with this problem and it was a big pain to try to raid with that issue. it needed to be addressed and it was, good going bioware. I dont care how many times they have to take the servers down to fix issues that make the game unplayable for any amount of the subscriber base, if its unplayable for 10 percent then that is unacceptable. at least bioware has the decency to bring it down at 2 in the morning when their is probably going to be the least amount of people affected by the downtime except overseas people and stuff which i can understand is rough on them but this is a necessary evil.

when the game is down go do something else, I promise you swtor will still be here when you get back and you wont miss anything super spectacular while the servers are down.

Given the alternative of waiting a week to have issues fixed, I'll take the downtimes.

*eeehhhh* wrong answer.

The "fixes" they are performing take from 6 to 8hrs and fix hardly anything and in fact they broke the game last "patch".

I for one would rather be broke a week then have every other day down 6 to 8hrs. The fact that they feel they need to shutdown the servers every other day smells like a memory leak to me. I for one don't enjoy that kind of disruption every other day a new patch. I loose the consistency of game play by wondering "what did they break this time".

The exception to the rule was last nights patch. They pretty much had to do that...mistakes happen. I crashed 4 times last night and that is the first time ever the game has simply GPF'ed out to windows.

Edited by Lorealin

Have you ever played a mmo at launch? even peoples so called beloved WoW had one of the worst launches in history. be thankful that this is a company that cares enough to squish the bugs.

They brought it down for 2 hours....You're really going to complain?

Lets not mention that if they brought it down during my primetime I have a whole list of other games that are gathering dust.

I also hate their current patching policies for a variety of reasons. It's a paid for service and uptime should be a consideration for customers.

Just because Blizzard had a crappy launch doesn't mean we should just sit and accept crappy things Bioware does. On top of that, you're suggesting we should be happy about it... I agree squashing the bugs is important but at least credit time back for downtime that is unplanned from the routine schedule.

They already do this at the times I play. And I'm OK with it.

I'd still rather have them fix things than leave them broken.

Agreed.

SWG used to be down every day when I wanted to log on, then it would crash when I could finally get on, but I stayed with it because I liked the game. If missing the game a few hours during the week is enough to drive someone away from the game, I doubt they really liked the game very much in the first place.

At some point the system will be stable enough to do maintenance only once a week. Then people will say "why didn't they do that sooner instead of making us suffer?", but the simple fact is, it will happen when it can happen and no sooner. Until then, enjoy what you've got.

I also hate their current patching policies for a variety of reasons. It's a paid for service and uptime should be a consideration for customers.

You pay for a service. You are not happy with the service. You stop paying for the service and move on to one you are happy with. Such a simple solution.

Does anyone think that venting on the forums is going to make BW change their patching schedules?

Just because Blizzard had a crappy launch doesn't mean we should just sit and accept crappy things Bioware does. On top of that, you're suggesting we should be happy about it... I agree squashing the bugs is important but at least credit time back for downtime that is unplanned from the routine schedule.

so you want your whole 2 hours back? You're really complaining about less than a cent.\

Go take a nap during it....Downtime happens in every MMO...Bioware and Blizzard aren't the exceptions. They are going to bring things down for emergencies. As the game matrues this will happen less and less. Its the way of MMOs. You must be new here

Your sub never guarantees you the servers will be up.

Edited by Mormack

I agree....

I think they have a lack of real cohesive deployment strategy. I think some poor schmuck is batch loading every instance verifying data and world integrity with "ghost toons or GM toons etc".

Rift was the best MMO roll out of any MMO I can recall playing in the last 8 years. The fact they can roll out patches and bounce all servers and be up gain in 15 minutes is simply amazing.

I would put Rift devs up againts bioware devs any day.

What is the difference? Different game engines for one..but the fact that Rift actively involved the community early on (months of beta testing) and actually listened and reacted accordingly.

I believe because bioware purchased the hero engine and apparently don't have many true experts in house, they are suffering from "quick grab your butts we need this part fixed read read read test test". I feel sorry for those devs that have to fix this stuff. And on top of that the devs are told you have hours if days to fix something using an old engine. I pray they at least have deviated from the source tree a bit for this game and tweeked etc.

:eek: