Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

Again, there's absolutely no data nor economic theory to support that consumers would behave that way. It's total nonsense and nothing but a random, baseless assumption you've invented for, well, who knows why.

I've bought games many times and not opened them that day. Unless I am the only person in the world who does this, there is a percentage of people who have not entered a code.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, at the 6 month mark you see how well it will do. Same thing happened with warhammer it had 1.2 Million people in 12 days but see how that turned out. 6 months from now will tell.

This game is light years more polished than Warhammer ever was. Did you play Warhammer at launch--I mean, it's not even a comparison.

So now the haters think EA is lying in their financial reports.

But, but, but, I thought all the haters would be gone after the first 30 days??? I remember people saying this. It's not that people hate the game, they're disappointed in the corners cut all through the game and it shows. Pointing out negatives that need to be fixed is not hating.

So now the haters think EA is lying in their financial reports.

Anything to justify clinging to their chosen reality. They so desperately want SWTOR to fail and for people to believe that it already is that they'd deny it even if EA came to their house and brought their financials with them.

of course you do , and I'm sure you drive you Ferrari to work everyday , expect on Wednesday when your super model girlfriend drops you off after a late night , Please give it up already.

BMW actually. And i don't have a supermodel girlfriend.

Believe whatever you want. The proof is when you log in, very few people are playing, and i refuse to believe people will continue to pay for a game they aren't playing.

So whoop it up in the forums, scream triumph or whatever it is you want to do to make yourself feel better and then go log into dead servers champ.

I thought we were going to see the real numbers after the 20th when everyone left? Now we aren't going to see the real numbers till "later"? And I suppose when "later" comes around, if they don't jive with what people think, we will have to wait "even later"?

Why is this such a moving target?

I am enjoying the panic of the haters so much.

They are grasping at straws now.

short story long:

The numbers mean mostly nothing. All we know is that at the time of the report, 2 million boxes and been purchased, of that, 1.7 million were "subscribing".

It's possible (albeit unlikely) that all 1.7 million still subscribing purchased (or at least activated their free month) after January 1st, and are thus still in their free month, and the retention rate of paying subscribers is 0%.

It's equally possible (and probably even more unlikely) that all 1.7 million subscribers bought and activated their accounts before Jan 1st and that 300k haven't even opened the box yet, and thus the retention rate of not paying into paying subscribers is 100%. The truth, probably, is somewhere in the middle. And we have NO idea where that middle is. Until we actually see trend numbers.

We can make a pretty good guess. We know that a couple of days after new year they had sold one million. That gives us a retention rate of ca 70% on that million. The other million is a wilder guess, but it will probably be pretty close (like +-10% units).

I wonder what those 1.7m are doing.

They certainly are neither on the imperial nor republic fleet.

That's the one thing I struggle with. That's like 7,900 subs per server. Where the heck are those people in game? I guess this game could really have broken the mold and there is just a low % at any given time of active subs actually playing. It's strange.

no. look at the date. nice try.

Yes, the press release says February 1, 2012 and the dude being quoted quite clearly says "CURRENT" when referring to "ACTIVE SUBSCRIPTIONS." Want to explain to the class how "current" means December 31, 2011 when said on February 1, 2012?

But, but, but, I thought all the haters would be gone after the first 30 days??? I remember people saying this. It's not that people hate the game, they're disappointed in the corners cut all through the game and it shows. Pointing out negatives that need to be fixed is not hating.

When they grasp at the incredibly flimsy straws that massive companies are illegally forging economic reports to lie to investors..

They're baseless haters

Edited by CupieFoxtail

Please, i work in management at a multi-billion dollar company.

i could care less what you 'think' is going on here. I'm telling you that large bonuses are on the line to make things look good.

The numbers are skewed to show what the investors want to see. Whatever parameters they needed to use to make this look good, they did.

Sorry, but with this statement you just lost all credibilty as a reliable contributer to this thread.

You're telling me that you work for a "multi-billion dollar company" presubably a US company, who's management sanction falsifying company figures to ensure they get thier bonues...

Sorry, but without wishing to flame, you clearly do not have a grasp of the legalities involved here and the types of sanctions the CotB, CEO, COO, CFO, etc could face if your claims were true...

Anything to justify clinging to their chosen reality. They so desperately want SWTOR to fail and for people to believe that it already is that they'd deny it even if EA came to their house and brought their financials with them.

Seems like you want the game to fail. I'm trying to convince you that less than 300k have cancelled because some of the 2 million just haven't registered yet, and you keep insisting that no, they all cancelled.

Not according to the graphs posted by the other guy trying desperately to prove to everyone that these numbers still show that the game is already dead or dying. Server populations started off with a massive massive spike because it was the holidays and everyone could glue their butts to a chair in front of the computer for a few days. Furthermore, you're just making crap up. There's no data to support and no theory of economic behavior that suggests people would run out and buy the game on release day and then sit on their thumb not playing it for a month. If consumer behavior were that arbitrary and erratic, not a single business could make the forecasts required to survive or even flourish.

desperately to prove to everyone that these numbers still show that the game is already dead or dying.

I wont it too Succeed, But In game Is showing Its not, So i look Up stats, And 300 k peeps ATM.

And Having Ability delay, And other problem's with the game. When you cant have more than 16 players on Screen at once, On NASA computer, I'm worried. Play an alt for story, nooo.

To not have an MMO Still.

What i got told when I cancelled.

• Highest operational cash flow in 31 quarters.
  • 1.7 million active subs and sold more than 2 million units (that's an 85% conversion rate).
  • Revenue exceeded expectations- guidance was 1.55 billion to 1.65 billion, and they pulled down 1.651 billion.

I'm on the earnings conference call now, and everything I'm reading and hearing makes me glad I bought EA at $17. Tomorrow will be quite interesting.

Please, i work in management at a multi-billion dollar company.

i could care less what you 'think' is going on here. I'm telling you that large bonuses are on the line to make things look good.

The numbers are skewed to show what the investors want to see. Whatever parameters they needed to use to make this look good, they did.

Possible Translation in red:

Please, i work in management at a multi-billion dollar company. I'm the team leader of a Mcdonald's outlet.

I could care less what you 'think' is going on here. I dispute you using facts to back up your argument.

I'm telling you that large bonuses are on the line to make things look good. I prefer to use my own opinions to further my argument. My opinions>facts!!!

The numbers are skewed to show what the investors want to see. Numbers that don't agree with my argument must be false.

Whatever parameters they needed to use to make this look good, they did. EA lied and made up their numbers. I don't have numbers so therefore I don't lie

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Seems like you want the game to fail. I'm trying to convince you that less than 300k have cancelled because some of the 2 million just haven't registered yet, and you keep insisting that no, they all cancelled.

Or, one subscriber owns two versions of the game.

Sorry, but with this statement you just lost all credibilty as a reliable contributer to this thread.

You're telling me that you work for a "multi-billion dollar company" presubably a US company, who's management sanction falsifying company figures to ensure they get thier bonues...

Sorry, but without wishing to flame, you clearly do not have a grasp of the legalities involved here and the types of sanctions the CotB, CEO, COO, CFO, etc could face if your claims were true...

No, he is right. This kind of things happen daily in the finance world of big corporations.

Edited by RamzaBehoulve

LOL, one of the things I find harder to identify than the truth in a politicians speech is the actual sub numbers as reportied in gaming company's share holder meetings.

I have absolutely no idea how many people paid for their first month after the free 30 days was up to this point. I did and am not sure I really care what the one, three, or six month retension rates are or are going to be. At this point though, I do not feel motivated to rush out and buy EA stock.

" Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through

more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Spot the part that proves you wrong.

Hint: I bolded it for you.

You know nothing about multimillion/billion dollar businesses at all then if you believe that proves anything. They use a word quite often called preception. Also anyone that deals with databases or numbers higher than 10 knows that ANY graph with a recordable (number or metric) can be adjusted to what ever favor or spin you want on it. Now in this case, did they specify what month it was over?

Hint: There's 3 months in a quarter.