Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how some people believe these numbers to be true.

A company can get numbers to look however they want to by adjusting the parameters of measurement.

The company I work for makes up numbers all the time to make things look good. The shareholders only want to see what looks good on paper, whether it's the truth or not.

Some people just have no idea how businesses these days operate.

Anyone who thinks this game held at least 85% of subscribers is nuts.

Do a quick test for those of you who are in large guilds.

What percentage of people are still playing in your guild. If the number is over 25% I'd be shocked.

100% of the people I started with are still here.

I've actually grown my guild by 28% since we started.

That's right, you're shocked right now.

I don't think you've seen them operate before....

Please, i work in management at a multi-billion dollar company.

i could care less what you 'think' is going on here. I'm telling you that large bonuses are on the line to make things look good.

The numbers are skewed to show what the investors want to see. Whatever parameters they needed to use to make this look good, they did.

Let's see those numbers come next month when the REAL truth will come out. People got sucked into subscribing for the first month. So what? What the hell is your point?

Next month is when we find out how this game is REALLY doing.

And then when the game's doing even better, you guys will be telling us that next year is when we'll find out how the game is REALLY doing.

Let's see those numbers come next month when the REAL truth will come out. People got sucked into subscribing for the first month. So what? What the hell is your point?

I'll bet next month thay have MORE subscribers.

Are all haters ignorant?

No, they aren't.

Those types of press releases are for quarterly results - they are not results of actual real time that exact day and minute numbers. Please learn how companies conduct business. Invest in something at the very least so you can get reports of your own and realize that they are never about here and now, but what the company did over the last quarter.

If it is Q3 only, how can they have sold the game over one month, as stated by the report? No to mention how they could have possibly lost subscribers before the free month is up. Or sell 2 million units in Q3 and also report they had sold just one 1 million a couple of days later.

The financial results are for Q3, but a lot of the other numbers are for February the first.

unless the numbers hold.

then you will state that people got suckered for 3 months and we have to wait longer to REALLY FIND OUT.

you will move this goal post forever.

the only mystery is why anybody bothers arguing about this matter at all. this corporate meta-gaming is bizarre.

your still here ? I am sure that in this climate of fiscal uncertainty and the magnifying glass on wall street there breaking the law just to make you look bad .

don't you blizzard employees ever get a coffee break?

Edited by Trineda
removed quote

You are incorrect. A press release claiming 1.7M "active subscriptions" and using the word "CURRENT" would be fraudulent if it was referring to numbers from a month ago. Butu whatever. Belive what you want. Confirmation bias is an ugly thing...especially when yuo see normally rational people clinging so desperately and irrationally to the version of reality they've chosen to believe that they will go to great lengths to invent a rationalization as to why facts and numbers contrary to their chosen reality just magically aren't true or don't matter.

Actually Jan 1st they could of pulled the numbers for the quarter. Everyone was one their 2nd week fo the free month then.

Don't forget preorders as well.

Edited by Buddhalux

yes! because their bonuses depend on it.

Does the name Enron mean anything to you? Or the SOX act?

Because the first caused the 2nd, because of shady stockholder reports, and the SOX act was put into law to prevent such a thing from happening.

LOL, its all the same. RIFT has tanked and is not even a year old yet. Was released in March 2011.

As I have said in another thread, summer will be the real test. If they can keep subs through the summer when people are not usually inside on their PC... then you can call it a success.

And for the people saying that the game has already broke even profit wise need a dose of reality on the cost of keeping a game like this running.

Well you threw numbers out three and they were not accurate. Not really close. You said it was the exact same: 1 million first month. Which it wasn't. It was a million six months. This is 2 million one month. There is a discrepancy in the ratio that you tried to say was equal.

What is interesting is those numbers are from word of mouth and internet buzz alone. the real world advertising campaign has just recently started, with ads in major periodicals and on various cable stations. It's going to be VERY interesting to see how well those numbers increase between now and April, once the prime time spots have cycled through (on major networks, like Fox, NBC and USA).

Well done BioWare, everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Do you really need to change your font? I mean, what do you hope to accomplish? lol

Edited by Liberate

i could care less what you 'think' is going on here. I'm telling you that large bonuses are on the line to make things look good.

The numbers are skewed to show what the investors want to see. Whatever parameters they needed to use to make this look good, they did.

Do you mind telling me which company you work for? I am not going to do anything against you, I just want to know which company I should completely avoid in my future dealings.

Maybe just the industry you work in?

Awesome, may I have the name of your company? Always wanted to be a whistleblower.......

Edited by Nomarker

and yes..he's right. I've read financial statments sent to shareholders...and then the internal email that follows a few minutes later. There is always spin.

Doesn't matter to me though...I still like the game.

Yeah, and im the CEO of Starbucks....

I doubt you work in management, if you did you would know that lying to investors, submitting false documents is illegal.

LMGTFY.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wikipedia+securities+and+exchange+commision&l=1

Knowledge is power!

APart from the 1.7 million who regiastered a key and THEN carried on playing after the 30 days free play...? :rolleyes:

No, what I was saying is this.

They sold 2 million boxes and have 1.7 million subscribers. People say that means they have an 85% retention rate. However, when you factor in that a significant but unknown number of people have bought a box but not registered it, the actual retention rate would higher than 85% as a good portion of the 300k difference isn't cancellations but people who have just not entered their key yet.

:p

WOW 10 months to reach 1 million.

Now that was spin. They were talking about 1m in North America only. This is what was actually said.

"This brings the total population for Blizzard's critically acclaimed game, the largest MMORPG in the world, to more than four million paying customers."

Actually Jan 1st they could of pulled the numbers for the quarter. Everyone was one their 2nd week fo the free month then.

Don't forget preorders as well.

" Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through

more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Spot the part that proves you wrong.

Hint: I bolded it for you.