Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

Let's see those numbers come next month when the REAL truth will come out. People got sucked into subscribing for the first month. So what? What the hell is your point?

Next month is when we find out how this game is REALLY doing.

I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger.

I still disagree with you, but yeah... quoting Palpatine FTW. :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they aren't.

Those types of press releases are for quarterly results - they are not results of actual real time that exact day and minute numbers. Please learn how companies conduct business. Invest in something at the very least so you can get reports of your own and realize that they are never about here and now, but what the company did over the last quarter.

Eh, no, again, you are wrong.

Earnings releases are a mixed bag of (1) financial statements and operating results as of the statement date (here 12/31), (2) operating metrics, which are often stated currently and are not tied to the statement date and (3) forward looking statements.

The statements about active subscriptions and sales are stated in the release itself as being "in a little over one month", which means that they absolutely cannot be as of 12/31/12. Therefore this falls under the category (2) type of statement, which is consistent with the word "active".

I think you understand much less about how to read earnings releases than you think. Have you ever written or edited one with your license on the line? I have.

I'll say it a 3rd time. Not everyone who buys a box registers a code the same day. A significant number of the 2 million sales have not registered a key yet.

Not according to the graphs posted by the other guy trying desperately to prove to everyone that these numbers still show that the game is already dead or dying. Server populations started off with a massive massive spike because it was the holidays and everyone could glue their butts to a chair in front of the computer for a few days. Furthermore, you're just making crap up. There's no data to support and no theory of economic behavior that suggests people would run out and buy the game on release day and then sit on their thumb not playing it for a month. If consumer behavior were that arbitrary and erratic, not a single business could make the forecasts required to survive or even flourish.

Do you mind telling me which company you work for? I am not going to do anything against you, I just want to know which company I should completely avoid in my future dealings.

Maybe just the industry you work in?

You say it as if i care about any future involvement with you.

You clearly don't understand what you're looking at if you think that data shows that the sky is falling. It shows that in the first month, server population over time started out at a massive spike and slowly dropped as it is stabilizing and finding its level. This is to be expected for all sorts of reasons, not least of which is that 2M units sold AT XMAS WHEN EVERYONE COULD SPEND ABOUT A WEEK OR SO PLAYING NON-STOP ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Attrition was about 300K, so 1.7M active subs are ongoing, but that means a slight drop in server populations is to be expected. That is what the graphs show. They don't show the end of the world as we know it.

You clearly don't understand what you're looking at, O im sorry, i see.

Yearly overall population graph for SW:TOR servers. @300 Yeah you get People unsubbing for sure,

But saying 2 mill sold, and 300, ACTIVE SUBS, Yearly overall population graph for SW:TOR servers.

And you talk about sky falling. No Sky is noisy ATM. But not falling.

I tend to glaze over at any talk of numbers, percentages, or any information that can be displayed in a colorful Power Point graph. I got lost somewhere around the last thread that got closed but I really did try to follow it.

So what is the latest consensus? Should I just uninstall the game because it is failing worse than I did Algebra 2?

Or should I keep playing, having fun, and just hope for the best? :o

short story long:

The numbers mean mostly nothing. All we know is that at the time of the report, 2 million boxes and been purchased, of that, 1.7 million were "subscribing".

It's possible (albeit unlikely) that all 1.7 million still subscribing purchased (or at least activated their free month) after January 1st, and are thus still in their free month, and the retention rate of paying subscribers is 0%.

It's equally possible (and probably even more unlikely) that all 1.7 million subscribers bought and activated their accounts before Jan 1st and that 300k haven't even opened the box yet, and thus the retention rate of not paying into paying subscribers is 100%. The truth, probably, is somewhere in the middle. And we have NO idea where that middle is. Until we actually see trend numbers.

Please, i work in management at a multi-billion dollar company.

i could care less what you 'think' is going on here. I'm telling you that large bonuses are on the line to make things look good.

The numbers are skewed to show what the investors want to see. Whatever parameters they needed to use to make this look good, they did.

of course you do , and I'm sure you drive you Ferrari to work everyday , expect on Wednesday when your super model girlfriend drops you off after a late night , Please give it up already.

Let's see those numbers come next month when the REAL truth will come out. People got sucked into subscribing for the first month. So what? What the hell is your point?

Next month is when we find out how this game is REALLY doing.

I thought we were going to see the real numbers after the 20th when everyone left? Now we aren't going to see the real numbers till "later"? And I suppose when "later" comes around, if they don't jive with what people think, we will have to wait "even later"?

Why is this such a moving target?

when you factor in that a significant but unknown number of people have bought a box but not registered it

Again, there's absolutely no data nor economic theory to support that consumers would behave that way. It's total nonsense and nothing but a random, baseless assumption you've invented for, well, who knows why.

You clearly don't understand what you're looking at, O im sorry, i see.

Yearly overall population graph for SW:TOR servers. @300 Yeah you get People unsubbing for sure,

But saying 2 mill sold, and 300, ACTIVE SUBS, Yearly overall population graph for SW:TOR servers.

And you talk about sky falling. No Sky is noisy ATM. But not falling.

From their own FAQ:

Can I make guesses on overall subscription count based on these graphs?

No you shouldn't be relying on them to make so guesses. These graph purely relies on instantaneous server population values provided by Bioware, nothing more.

It's funny how some people believe these numbers to be true.

A company can get numbers to look however they want to by adjusting the parameters of measurement.

The company I work for makes up numbers all the time to make things look good. The shareholders only want to see what looks good on paper, whether it's the truth or not.

Some people just have no idea how businesses these days operate.

Anyone who thinks this game held at least 85% of subscribers is nuts.

Do a quick test for those of you who are in large guilds.

What percentage of people are still playing in your guild. If the number is over 25% I'd be shocked.

You sitting down? Please don't faint. My guild has 55 members and only 2 quit. You do the math (hint: it's over 25% :))

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

So over 2 million sold and 300k+ people already didn't sub in Jan? That says a lot. It's easy for a big popular IP like Star Wars produced by Bioware to sell big at first, it's what that figure is 6 months-1 year from now that determines the success of the game.

Exactly, at the 6 month mark you see how well it will do. Same thing happened with warhammer it had 1.2 Million people in 12 days but see how that turned out. 6 months from now will tell.

You say it as if i care about any future involvement with you.

Its not because you care whether I have any future involvement with you. Its because I care about not having future involvement in a company that has management being proud of illegal activities.

of course you do , and I'm sure you drive you Ferrari to work everyday , expect on Wednesday when your super model girlfriend drops you off after a late night , Please give it up already.

Keep in mind, "management at a multi-billion dollar company" can mean "I'm manager of the bed and bath department at a Target."

short story long:

The numbers mean mostly nothing. All we know is that at the time of the report, 2 million boxes and been purchased, of that, 1.7 million were "subscribing".

It's possible (albeit unlikely) that all 1.7 million still subscribing purchased (or at least activated their free month) after January 1st, and are thus still in their free month, and the retention rate of paying subscribers is 0%.

It's equally possible (and probably even more unlikely) that all 1.7 million subscribers bought and activated their accounts before Jan 1st and that 300k haven't even opened the box yet, and thus the retention rate of not paying into paying subscribers is 100%. The truth, probably, is somewhere in the middle. And we have NO idea where that middle is. Until we actually see trend numbers.

its 1.7 million that paid past their free month bro

I thought we were going to see the real numbers after the 20th when everyone left? Now we aren't going to see the real numbers till "later"? And I suppose when "later" comes around, if they don't jive with what people think, we will have to wait "even later"?

Why is this such a moving target?

Why are you quoting me like I was the one who said that last month? I never did and always maintained that it takes a few months to see how an MMO is really doing, so your lame point is moot.

I wonder what those 1.7m are doing.

They certainly are neither on the imperial nor republic fleet.

I think people are leveling pretty slowly. I got my Juggernaut to 50 pretty quickly, and was fairly alone Alderaan+

Now I'm leveling my BH, and Nar Shadaa and Tatooine were pretty crowded.

Also, there's not that much reason to go to the fleet.