Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

these number definately must be inflated. I can't, as a logical critical thinker, find any reason for these numbers to be true.

You mean you do not like the game, ergo others do not like it either?

Based on server populations and known player behavior when a MMO launch, I actually suspected around 2 million.

Dear God.

It says ACTIVE subs. It has 2 numbers.

2 million sold

1.7 million active

I believe you should take your own advice and learn how to read "those."

If it said SWTOR has had over 2 million players that would be spin.

But it's as clear as day. 2 mil sold. 1.7 mil active.

They don't WANT to see it...they were prolly all doomsdayers saying it would fail. And now that it hasn't they can't TAKE THAT

The 1.7 million includes people still on free month.

Well, according to vgchartz (http://www.vgchartz.com/game/31584/star-wars-the-old-republic/Global/) about 1.8 million people bought the game before december 31st, and none of those people are still in their free month

Only ~250k could still be in their free month, based on these measurements

As far as I know, vgchartz doesn't show digital sales, but I think the ratio of december to january buyers would be about the same given the big sample size on vgchartz

Edited by CupieFoxtail

these number definately must be inflated. I can't, as a logical critical thinker, find any reason for these numbers to be true.

Other than the fact that it would be massive MASSIVE fraud on stockholders and investors to be making reports like this that aren't true and likely result in numerous criminal charges for all sorts of high up executives?

^This.

85% of people who bought TOR decided to re-up.

TORtanic, what?

Since the other thread I replied to was closed:

The following forward-looking statements, as well as those made above, reflect expectations as of February 1, 2012. Electronic Arts assumes no obligation to update these statements

Basically, the 1.7 sub touted isn't backed up by hard data, as the only numbers EA has put out is the quarter ending 12/31/11. I myself have subbed for a second month, and second month only. Other MMORPG that ended a failure had "record breaking" sales. Rift developers have claimed over 2 million active subs, yet the way they got that number was from the number of people that were posted in their forums (lawl).

I mean, don't get me wrong. Even with half that number, SWTOR is in great shape sub wise (850k ain't nothing to sneeze at considering WoW NA numbers are ~3.5 mill). But whether this game remains strong depends on what happens development side. It can go up or down, as I'm sure majority of the playerbase hasn't reached 50 yet. Most bugs and issues posted thusfar is mainly end game issues that doesn't effect the leveling process. If SWTOR can fix the issue by the time majority of the playerbase reaches max lvl, they can have a huge success in their hands.

So over 2 million sold and 300k+ people already didn't sub in Jan? That says a lot. It's easy for a big popular IP like Star Wars produced by Bioware to sell big at first, it's what that figure is 6 months-1 year from now that determines the success of the game.

Actually I'd say that a 15% attrition rate off of the hype of launch is pretty darn good.

Or to put it another way, 85% of people who tried this game liked it enough to carry on play (and therefore paying) after their free month was up.

I agree that the more interesting numbers will be the 3 month, 6 month and 9month figures, but I, for one, find this news extremely encouraging.

Other than the fact that it would be massive MASSIVE fraud on stockholders and investors to be making reports like this that aren't true and likely result in numerous criminal charges for all sorts of high up executives?

Such minor facts like corporate law are wasted on the majority of nay-sayers here...

What is interesting is those numbers are from word of mouth and internet buzz alone. the real world advertising campaign has just recently started, with ads in major periodicals and on various cable stations. It's going to be VERY interesting to see how well those numbers increase between now and April, once the prime time spots have cycled through (on major networks, like Fox, NBC and USA).

Well done BioWare, everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Don't guess I need to remind everyone that Rift had 1.2mil subs after the first month. Look at it now. Give the game 6 months, if it still has over a million subs it will be successful.

Even though I have subbed through February, I can for sure tell you I will not be playing this game in May which is when EA has to release numbers again.

Edited by Ganix_tx

I like the way people keep on bringing up EAs stock figures as if this game is the only thing they are working on and everything is riding on it. Really guys, EA has nearly as many projects going as Sony does. SWTOR is not the end all be all of their current business. The fluctuations in their stock are NOT solely in relation to how well SWTOR is doing.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

When I got the game, I was required to activate a subscription to get my free month. I think this accounts for up to the end of the year, when the game was out for 10 days, really don't tell us much more than how it released.

As for the difference, there's plenty of people who bought it as christmas presents and the person didn't activate yet, remember it's over a vacation. Or resellers, or people buying multiples.

I don't think anybody will know for sure what the long term prospects are for a few months when things have time to settle down.

It's true but these are current active subs... for now it's going good so people should relax and stop hating geez... like all the gamers want this to fail...

Basically, the 1.7 sub touted isn't backed up by hard data, as the only numbers EA has put out is the quarter ending 12/31/11. I myself have subbed for a second month, and second month only. Other MMORPG that ended a failure had "record breaking" sales. Rift developers have claimed over 2 million active subs, yet the way they got that number was from the number of people that were posted in their forums (lawl).

I mean, don't get me wrong. Even with half that number, SWTOR is in great shape sub wise (850k ain't nothing to sneeze at considering WoW NA numbers are ~3.5 mill). But whether this game remains strong depends on what happens development side. It can go up or down, as I'm sure majority of the playerbase hasn't reached 50 yet. Most bugs and issues posted thusfar is mainly end game issues that doesn't effect the leveling process. If SWTOR can fix the issue by the time majority of the playerbase reaches max lvl, they can have a huge success in their hands.

It's true but these are current active subs... for now it's going good so people should relax and stop hating geez... like all the gamers want this to fail...

At this point the nay sayers lost some ground.. with the doomsday crap.

SO maybe they will now leave the game finally or at least just be a null issue now.

Then we can move past that and get going with more content and fixes... updates and so on.

That should be the focus now.

I like the way people keep on bringing up EAs stock figures as if this game is the only thing they are working on and everything is riding on it. Really guys, EA has nearly as many projects going as Sony does. SWTOR is not the end all be all of their current business. The fluctuations in their stock are NOT solely in relation to how well SWTOR is doing.

:csw_redsaber::csw_bluesaber:

This ^

What probably going to be more of a concern is they have lowered guidance for Q4 rev and EPS. That won't be received well unless it is explained well to analysts. Bottom line is they have between 1 and 2 million active customers which is pretty good this early on. (I only say between because it isn't clear to me how they are defining active yet)

Why do you think anyone wants it to fail? I've personally cancelled but I hope they get 40 million subscriptions. That would mean they made the game really good and I'll be happy to resubscribe.

Uh, no.

Again, the forward looking statements are their expected future earnings, characterized as "expectations". The statements about "active" are current statements, not forward looking statements under the 34 Act.

The 1.7m is as hard as data gets. It's active subs as of now. Note the "in over one month" part. Limited to Q3, that would be only around 15 days of sales, counting early access.

This is a financial statement. As someone above me noted, lying in something like this can bring criminal charges.

My only point though, was that the people who flooded these claiming the game was "objectively" crap and only "blind fanbois" couldn't see it, and the game was going to shut down, have now been proven objectively wrong.

It's funny how some people believe these numbers to be true.

A company can get numbers to look however they want to by adjusting the parameters of measurement.

The company I work for makes up numbers all the time to make things look good. The shareholders only want to see what looks good on paper, whether it's the truth or not.

Some people just have no idea how businesses these days operate.

Anyone who thinks this game held at least 85% of subscribers is nuts.

Do a quick test for those of you who are in large guilds.

What percentage of people are still playing in your guild. If the number is over 25% I'd be shocked.

When I got the game, I was required to activate a subscription to get my free month. I think this accounts for up to the end of the year, when the game was out for 10 days, really don't tell us much more than how it released.

As for the difference, there's plenty of people who bought it as christmas presents and the person didn't activate yet, remember it's over a vacation. Or resellers, or people buying multiples.

I don't think anybody will know for sure what the long term prospects are for a few months when things have time to settle down.

If you really did not like the game and don't plan on going over your included month, you won't wait until the last day to unsubscribe...

Don't guess I need to remind everyone that Rift had 1.2mil subs after the first month. Look at it now. Give the game 6 months, if it still has over a million subs it will be successful.

Yes, but RIFT did not have the ongoing, active IP of Star Wars to generate a growing player base.

Let's not forget that Star Wars is heading back to theatres in a few short weeks and that a TV show is now back in active development.

These alone will generate interest, without all the Word of Mouth and advertising that is going on.

Heck, even that WoW stalwart Felicia Day started playing today....! The woman who reconstructed her acting career on the back of MMO gaming. :D

:cool:

World of Warcraft Surpasses One Million Customer Milestone in North America 8-29-2005

http://web.archive.org/web/20051029025007/http://www.blizzard.com/press/050829-wow.shtml

Outstanding.. yeah so like... now the SWTOR ratio is more then WoW was and then some.

Ok so that could be scarey but yeah.. nice reference.

That should help with the negative nancy's lol