Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

lol you honestly believe a multi million dollar company won't falsify financial reports to investors in order for them to invest more money. Are you serious? You must be a lil guy(age wise).

You really think a company of this size would get away with that? After 2001? After Sarbanes-Oxley? Falsifying financial statements is ethics violation 101.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news, but those saying it got a 85% retention rate is off. You can only count those who bought the game a month or more ago, meaning approximately 1 million. That gives us a 70% retention rate this far.

Still, congratulations BioWare!

If it was merely branding a lot more would have dropped off after the free month.

My gf and I don't even like Star Wars much. Neither of us have seen the movies but we like the game and have each gone for 3 month subscriptions.

So no it's not just branding.

With all due respect, you and your girlfriend aren't everyone.

And ofc it haven't dropped after the free month. Sure the most hardcore MMO players might have dropped after that, but it does take a little more than a month for people to:

a) Give up on the game, for whatever reason that might be

b) Get bored enough to actually cancel their sub.

I like these numbers, don't get me wrong and I really hope it's gonna continue like that. I still haven't fully given up on this game, seeingas I don't want it to fail. But I also realize, that if the game keeps going in the direction it's going, these numbers will be reduced.

So yes, it does have a lot to do with branding.

The name "Star Wars" alone, is a customer magnet, due to earlier success. Same goes for BioWare.

Translation for those who are too busy assuaging their confirmation bias against this game:

"Star Wars: The Old Republic is developing a committed community of players with more than 1.7 million active subscribers and growing." "

This means there are, as of the date of that statement, i.e., TODAY, $1.7M active subscribers.

"Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

This means that from the date of release, 12/20/12, it sold 2M units. Coupling that with CURRENT active subscriptions of 1.7M means about 300K didn't stick around. Tthat's 15% attrition, which is NOT a giant sign that the game is failing...nor is it a very high attrition rate. Moreover, you can't tell anything about it without trend lines to show when the attrition took place. Is it steady from the get-go and therefore representative of what percentage of the population who buys the game is likely to stick with it? You just can't know what it really shows, and Occam's Razor would suggest it really just means that probably about 15% of the people who buy it will decide it's not really for them. Not bad...in fact, 85% retention is actually a fantastic number.

Do you guys need help with Engrish?

Your conclusions are not valid until 2 quarter post on attrition rates after 1st 60 days no resub

So over 2 million sold and 300k+ people already didn't sub in Jan? That says a lot. It's easy for a big popular IP like Star Wars produced by Bioware to sell big at first, it's what that figure is 6 months-1 year from now that determines the success of the game.

ALSO know that some have lapsed and some might be on the fence.. some may come back.

That is not shocking at all. I would be more worried if it was half.

All in all this report doesn't shock me. The general forum hate is such a small percentage.. it really is.

Improv-, good sir, do you know how branding works?

Seeing as these numbers are highly because of branding (it being Star Wars and it being created by BioWare).

Once the effect of said branding wears off, the numbers will drop.

I fully understand why you're proud of the said numbers, seeing as they are quite high, but a huge chunk of those numbers are simply nothing else, but a victim of branding.

Nothing but conjecture. Word of mouth from those who are happy with the game may have it growing. In fact, the guy explicitly says it's growing in the linked report. Newsflash: Pretty much NOBODY is reading this forum and paying attention to the very very tiny percentage of the game's population (and the population of people who ragequit or whatever) that trolls the forums relentlessly trying to convince everyone else to hate the game with them.

why are there people facepalming and all that?

I'll tell you why..they expected the game to fail and were the same doomsdayers that said this game will have no more than 200,000 subs after 30 days are up...

and now that stuff like that didnt happen and the game is growing and growing...THEY CAN'T TAKE THEY WERE WRONG!

Say it isn't so!!!! you mean they are not as smart as they think they are ???

NOOOOO~~~

Folks might want to consider one fact about the 300k discrepancy. Some people purchased more than one version of the game (i.e. upgraded to a collector's edition or digital deluxe).

So, for each person that bought another unit, there are two units of sales for that one subscriber. I'm sure that can account for a portion of the 300k.

Edited by Depredator

Yeah i know the company says the game is thriving and people are increasing. Now in game the players notice mass exodus guilds are empty no server is heavy most are in the yellow or green. You have a flist of over 50 people who don't log in anymore. Shouts to form high level Fp go from 15-20 min to form to over an hour if at all...but the game is thriving. Most 3 prty forums and even this forum is filled pissed off customers but the game has people subbing by the masses lmao gfto. Post a report and people will believe anything.

You probably are looking at the server population at 10 am in the morning on a monday morning, becaaaaause, when I get on. Most servers are standard to very heavy. That includes EU servers as well. Soooo, yea :p haha

LOL

If everyone was in their free month, and every copy sold has a free month.

Why 1.7m subscribers with 2m copies sold? ;)

Guessing 300k found a way to cancel their free month?

Some common sense and a bit of reading comprehension when trying to trololol please.

Do you think every single person who owns a box has activated their code yet? Not everyone is hard core. I know I have bought many games in the past and didn't open them for a few weeks to a few months. There are a large number of boxes out there that haven't been registered yet, which accounts for the difference between boxes sold and subscriptions.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Massive drop huh?

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

You do the Math's. Stats for population, If above is true, Then Dam. What a shame.

Side note: it appears 15 percent of people who bought game did not subscribe

This figure does not include the amount that did subscribe and are not renewing will have to wait for 2nd quarter to see the fallout of people quiting game

Source : 2 million units sold retail .... 1.7 million subs

Eh, no.

2 million sales. 1.7 million active subs. That last number is (1) people who are in first free month (who bought the game later) and (2) people who are in first paying month now. Both are active subscriptions.

So over 2 million sold and 300k+ people already didn't sub in Jan? That says a lot. It's easy for a big popular IP like Star Wars produced by Bioware to sell big at first, it's what that figure is 6 months-1 year from now that determines the success of the game.

Aww, you haters don't like being owned or proven wrong now do ya? Well, get used to it.:p

these number definately must be inflated. I can't, as a logical critical thinker, find any reason for these numbers to be true.

Your foray into logical thinking is a relative failure.

Go back to what you were doing before. I don't care what it was, you were better at it.

are you dense or just cant read , by your logic it would be 2 million , how could they lose 300k subs in the free month?

Because there are always more boxes sold than people who have registered. Not everyone registers a code the second they buy a game.