Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

Wow. I'm shocked so many of you think it's cool to roll 'need' for your companion over a player, it should be a no brainer for anyone who's played an MMO before. No wonder this game/forum is in such a ****** state. Never again will I play an MMO based on such a popular IP, brings out all the ******es, like the people who think it's cool to roll need for a pet.

God, I loathe this community.

And the community returns the sentiment. Go back to your previous MMORPG where the "established" rules work. This is a new MMO, with new mechanics. The old way doesn't work here. Unless there's a companion option between need and greed you'll just have to deal with people rolling need for companions, which is viable and understandable.

Now stop crying.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you are a Bounty Hunter and none of your Companions can use that loot! <- Companion need roll logic. So the guy still thinks he is doing it right ;)

The enhancement socket in the saber was an upgrade for a companion. We saw the guy need rolling everything (even random green drops), so the other 3 of us whispered each other and agreed to need roll everything too.

ps. Got some good credits when I vendored the rest of that saber. I sent the person a tell too letting him know what it vendored for.

Edited by RycheMykola

I usually look to see if anyone needs the piece, if they dont appear to I will politely ask if I can roll for my companion.

Just wait, if they put in a LFD tool, this will be every post on the forum.

This is the same logic as saying everyone on the street is going to rob you.....

If you are not level 50 you do not NEED any of the gear. Its getting replaced in several hours probably just by some random green drop...

So I will "need" roll pre 50 as neither of us really need it. If you tell me you are only doing this insance for x item and the group agrees than that item is yours else it's up for grabs.

Once you start doing end game content though need rolls apply, you only need for your character.

no other mmo has been so heavily based around running with your companion as swtor is, so of course you never played an mmo before with people that think this way.

Until people are using their companions in raids, then my comment still stands, it's a pet.

Unless there's a companion option between need and greed you'll just have to deal with people rolling need for companions.

Wrong, YOU are going to have to deal with it. I won't be dealing with this sub-par game and community.

Edited by OldBenSmokin

Wow. I'm shocked so many of you think it's cool to roll 'need' for your companion over a player, it should be a no brainer for anyone who's played an MMO before. No wonder this game/forum is in such a ****** state. Never again will I play an MMO based on such a popular IP, brings out all the ******es, like the people who think it's cool to roll need for a pet.

Its not the game. Its people. There are people like this in every MMO.

Heck, in WOW with the LFD, there are DPS who wait in a 30 min queue just for the sole purpose of pulling mobs trying to wipe the group.

Like I say, the people who need roll for there companions or just need roll everything will be crying in a month or two when they can't find groups anymore. These are also the same people who are currently saying this game needs a LFD tool.

When I do dungeons in wow I need everything I can so I can disenchant it. It will always happen and the only thing you can do to fix it is not pug.

I don't understand why people can't just politely ask "Hey guys, mind if I roll some items for my companions?".

They can, and should. It's the ones who just do it and think it's ok to do so. I just can't believe how many of those "players" there appears to be.

Edited by OldBenSmokin

I don't understand why people can't just politely ask "Hey guys, mind if I roll some items for my companions?". Almost 7/10 the answer is go ahead for me when I ask it.

why should they have to ask, it should be stated during the group forming process what the rules are. If nothing is state then i will default to what the game allows me to do and my own personal judgement on whether i need an item or not.

Its mostly the forum trolls. Out of all the pugs ive been in, Ive only s**t listed a handful of these self-centered kids who've rolled on gear for their. Majority of players wont actually do it. In truth, thats really all we can do ... let they play alone or with themselves. Either way, theyre only doing it to you once.

They can, and should. It's the ones who just do it and think it's ok to do. I just can't believe how many of those "players" there appears to be.
Perhaps they were unaware that they must follow the unwritten rules that were developed in some other game that didn't have companions and which they didn't play. Edited by sjmc

Its mostly the forum trolls. Out of all the pugs ive been in, Ive only s**t listed a handful of these self-centered kids who've rolled on gear for their. Majority of players wont actually do it. In truth, thats really all we can do ... let they play alone or with themselves. Either way, theyre only doing it to you once.

So true.

And these ones need rolling everything will be gone in a few months when they need to spend hours trying to find a group, or they get into a group where everyone else is need rolling for companions and cry themselves that they are getting loot taken from there main.

Stuck by the fence long enough on this one...

I think it could work like this:

When loot shows up, you have these options Need / Greed / Disassemble / Companion

Let's say for instance that some clicks on Companion and 1 person clicks Need, while the other clicks Greed or whatever.

Now, let's say that Character Need trumps Companion need, as well as Character Greed!

So unless the actual party players passed on the gear - people who need companion gear don't get squat unless it's a pass for the players.

To sum it up, give the Companion Need button, but Character Need/Greed/Disassemble trumps the companion each time, unless all players pass...THEN the companion can get the gear.

I never did get the point of a need/greed system. All it does is cause arguments and stupidity over statistics on an item or vanity, or even someones reasoning for needing something.

The way some of you go on about this I'm surprised you ever have anyone to play with.

Better that the game just assigns stuff out randomly in my opinion. Saves all the aggrevation really.

Edited by Lifeshield

If you are not level 50 you do not NEED any of the gear. Its getting replaced in several hours probably just by some random green drop...

So I will "need" roll pre 50 as neither of us really need it. If you tell me you are only doing this insance for x item and the group agrees than that item is yours else it's up for grabs.

Once you start doing end game content though need rolls apply, you only need for your character.

^^ +1

besides, your pet is nothing but craft bot after 50 anyway. I rarely care gearing my pet, hell, sometimes they are on a mission and I don't bother to wait till they come back and summon them, so i can compare the stat of an item. I just sell that damn thing and move on.

And never have I had any problem going thru the game and reach 50.

My point is, don't worry about gear for your pet, worry about the real players that will be in raids with you some days in the future

why should they have to ask, it should be stated during the group forming process what the rules are. If nothing is state then i will default to what the game allows me to do and my own personal judgement on whether i need an item or not.

Because most people dont roll on gear for pets, therefore it falls on you to ask since chances are the people you are grouped with will not be ok with it!

You dont steal a guys car for the night without asking him if its ok just because you think "its not really stealing." You KNOW chances are they wont like it ... and the fact you stay quiet about it until to roll need shows how much of an egotistical selfish brat you are and no one should ever group with you.

To sum it up, give the Companion Need button, but Character Need/Greed/Disassemble trumps the companion each time, unless all players pass...THEN the companion can get the gear.

Right idea, but not done that way... since Greed trumps Companion then there would be no reason to pick the companion option - people would just greed (or keep picking need).

A better version (in my opinion) would be one I suggested earlier in this thread, with loot rolls in the following order of priority:

1. Need: But cannot be chosen unless your character can actually equip/use the item, otherwise the option would be greyed out
  2. Companion Need
  3. Greed
  4. (Pass)

Greying out the option to pick Need if your character can't equip it would stamp out ninja'ing for the most part. I think so anyway.

Fairly simple solution, saves debate and without change to the current mechanics. Agree before you start the run on whether N/G is ok for companions. If not everyone agrees you can decide to stay and deal with it or leave the group. Companions need gear and while I will never Need gear for my companion if someone else needs it, i know before hand how the group feels on the subject and possible outcomes simply because I ask before we start.