Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

I don't think anyone *actually* rolls need for companion gear, they may talk big on the forums but they know if they pulled this **** in-game they'd be flamed across the server to tatooine and back. it's just some aspie kids trying to get attention by saying they will on the forum. seriously, i've done tons of hard mode FPs and not a single person has done this. then again i'm on the EU servers so who knows what the americans are doing over there, they still have religion :rolleyes::o so they're still a few decades behind us, more advanced societies.

lawl apart from your post being pretty silly..

I am 25, I think religion is murder and I be in your FPs, ninja'in your oranges.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. VERY replaceable.

***other ways of gearing companions without stealing from the players that helped get the item for you.***

1) GTN, just buy whatever you want. And help the economy work.. other players benefit

2) Craft them stuff. you worry about your companions having the best gear? take a crafting skill that will always keep them up to date.

3) take the items designed specifically for them at the end of certain quests. thats what its there for.

4) overlevel then try to do heroics solo with companion. Take all you want...

5) PVP to get gear for them

6) use eqiupment commedations to buy them new gear.

look i can go on and on. Gear your comps all you want. just dont need on gear dropped in a 4 man flashpoint where a player could use it.

I'm not sure why the people who support need for companions ignore two basic facts, but I'd like an answer:

First , the above is important. You can gear your companion many ways without rolling on something that you can't actually use. If the only places to get decent gear was in FP/OP, then there would be some validity to this. But it isn't -- and unlike all of the above examples, we have a situation where in some cases there's good gear that can be obtained for companions, but NOT for actual characters -- some of the stuff that is very useful for a PC only drops on FP.

Second, I'm running the numbers myself, but it doesn't look like slapping a pile of purps or blues instead of equal leveled greens does much of anything for the majority of companions. I'm working the first and second companions now, and while I'm not done the outlines are:

Ranged Tanks get almost no utility or boost

Melee Tanks live about 5 to 10 seconds longer

DPS get more damage

Healers get only a very minor boost

The next tests I'm doing is how much highly coveted pieces of gear improve a PC vs an NPC -- the test will be Trooper vs. Aric , since they're both nearly identical (a commando is what I will use for the AC since both use assault cannons).

Why not just use other methods to gear your companion?

I usually look to see if anyone needs the piece, if they dont appear to I will politely ask if I can roll for my companion.

Just wait, if they put in a LFD tool, this will be every post on the forum.

^This is the way to loot for you companion right here.^

Now I say you can loot NEED for your companion if your comp can use it regardless of who needs it in team. This is fine because the companions are apart of you he is a weapon he is a tool. I mod my armor and weapons why not my companion. The companion is a form of auto attack and is needed for like someone said 99% of the game. He/I NEED the gear to make my character more viable in the game. If you got a problem with that try to find a group that agrees with you or like people have been saying communicate with group. We do not need some general rule or whatever for this.

Edited by Dstackm

I don't think anyone *actually* rolls need for companion gea...
I do this all the time if my companion needs the gear. Which is not that often since I keep him up to date via the GTN. I'm gonna NEED it for the same reason I would NEED it if the drop was a mod for my weapon/armor. The companion is a weapon or more armor a tool for my character.

I find this post meaningless and pointless. Its not upto anyone to dictate how people should behave. Its quite simple agree looting rules at the start of the run. I say something along the lines of "I dont need for companions and I would appreciate if if you didnt either" but if someone does its hardly the end of the world I just know that person for next time and if I join a group with that guy in I make my apologies and leave. No need for stress and drama over these things.

I do this all the time if my companion needs the gear. Which is not that often since I keep him up to date via the GTN. I'm gonna NEED it for the same reason I would NEED it if the drop was a mod for my weapon/armor. The companion is a weapon or more armor a tool for my character.

Yeah it just doesn't work in PUG's. In a guild group where everyone knows that's what you do though I imagine it works fine.

I think some people just have a hard time wrapping their minds around the reasoning of rolling need on flashpoint loot for a companion not being used in the flashpoints or future flashpoints those are really the only places where you really need said loot. Let's face it, a companion in all greens is good enough for the solo content in this game.

Edited by alkanterah

This is the way I do it.

If a piece drops for my companion I wait and see if any of the other group-members need it first. If they don't, then I will roll need.

So I don't think it's bad form to roll need for companion gear outright. Just depends on the circumstances.

How many of the people that say "Im needing for my companion, I dont care that you are tanking or healing, my companion needs it just as much:mad:" are actually in a guild? Play with friends you know? Would your friends be ok with you taking a piece of gear for your companion over that they could have used? Its basically saying "My companion, an extension of me, deserves this more than you". Its incredibly greedy and if the veil of anonymity wasn't there, chance are you wouldn't be pulling these things.

What are you doing with the armor itself? Selling it? You're just taking a mod, and selling the rest of the gear for profit. Selfish.

I'm rolling on an item to upgrade my character.

This is beyond silly. You're now calling me a ninja and all sorts of other names because I might win a roll on an item that's an upgrade. That's the reason why these threads are so stupid. Loot drama is loot drama.

How many of the people that say "Im needing for my companion, I dont care that you are tanking or healing, my companion needs it just as much:mad:" are actually in a guild? Play with friends you know? Would your friends be ok with you taking a piece of gear for your companion over that they could have used? Its basically saying "My companion, an extension of me, deserves this more than you". Its incredibly greedy and if the veil of anonymity wasn't there, chance are you wouldn't be pulling these things.

I'm in a guild. With some of my best friends from RL. When we group for stuff, we usually talk about loot and the like. It's all very casual and drama free.

Thing is, they're my friends. People I meet in a PuG are not.

But as you can see from a lot of my responses in this thread, I'm not rolling on much in groups. I don't even pay attention to anything that is green.

Blues I tend not to look at.

Purples with mods I might consider. Or anything above that. But even then, that's not something that drops quite a lot you know?

But I guarantee that the most vocal people in this thread accusing Need for Companion folks as being jerks and being filth, are going to cite loot drama that involves someone rolling need on a green item.

That's what makes this topic so sad. And yet entertaining. Like a train wreck.

Edited by SnoggyMack

ill continue rolling "need" for anything my companion can use as it improves my pve solo game play.

you said that so matter-of-factly and without remorse that this HAS to be sacarsm.

It would appear that there are those out that that actually have this mentality though.

Good news for them is they keep it up then all they will ever have to worry about is theier "solo game play" cause they aint finding groups on my server.

ME ME ME I WANT IT YOU DONT GET IT ME

Please, people. At least ASK first.

I always ask, i treat companions the same way i treat offspec in wow.

But still, asking people to NOT ROLL AT ALL, is asinine. You're basically saying "Don't make your character better"

I strongly encourage you to roll. Greed.

But, if i roll greed, i have to roll against everyone. If the players who can't use it roll greed, and THEN i hit need(knowing they don't need it) or ask. Who does it hurt. Since i'd be using it i clearly NEED it more than them.

you said that so matter-of-factly and without remorse that this HAS to be sacarsm.

It would appear that there are those out that that actually have this mentality though.

Good news for them is they keep it up then all they will ever have to worry about is theier "solo game play" cause they aint finding groups on my server.

Flat out truth. Im on Hedarr Soongh and have 3 toons atm. Let me know if you want the names of them as to not group with them, ill be more than happy to oblige.

I've got a large guild and a close group of friends. I dont group with random people because the lfg/lfm system is lacking. Even if I did, I'd continue to roll need on companion items and expect anyone else in the group to as well as it improves a part of you're game play.

people are going to have different opinions on it, and I have mine, which wont be changed by any threat of not getting a group because well, It will never be a problem for me.