Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

Nah, they're saying don't make your character better IF they perceive they feel the item belongs in someone else's inventory.

and what if you percieve it doesn't.

For sake of argument, lets say you're rolling against a tank, for a tank item, as a DPS, for your companion.

The ONLY bonus the tank gets is like, +5 end. But for your companion its...+30 end, +15 strength, +20 crit.

Who "needs" it more..?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, if i roll greed, i have to roll against everyone. If the players who can't use it roll greed, and THEN i hit need(knowing they don't need it) or ask. Who does it hurt. Since i'd be using it i clearly NEED it more than them.

If you ask and people are okay with it, well there's no problem at all. If you can use it for a companion and nobody else can use it on their actual character, tell people with applicable companions to roll need. That's fine. My problem isn't with rolling need, it's with competing against someone who could put the item to ten times better use.

I just ran with a Mercenary a while ago on my Operative. A very nice vibroknife dropped, and I lost the need roll. When I asked why she had rolled on the BoP item, she said it was for Mako. That's not cool.

anyone who rolls need on companion gear is most likely terrible at the game.

or likes to max out everything, their gear, companion gear, pvp gear, ect ect ect....

Its like saying, anyone that reads a newspaper vs reading the news online is most likely terrible at reading.

or likes to max out everything, their gear, companion gear, pvp gear, ect ect ect....

Its like saying, anyone that reads a newspaper vs reading the news online is most likely terrible at reading.

anyone who plays all the classes in the game is terrible at end game.

Then they pitch a fit. Call you names (People in this thread have been called "filth" for example) and they try to start some inane crusade on the forums to speak out against people losing loot rolls.

Loot drama. :)

For sake of argument, lets say you're rolling against a tank, for a tank item, as a DPS, for your companion.

The ONLY bonus the tank gets is like, +5 end. But for your companion its...+30 end, +15 strength, +20 crit.

Who "needs" it more..?

I'm a jerk. And so I'm probably gonna say I have zero problem with the DPS guy rolling on it. And I don't care who wins it since it's a roll.

But jerks like me, we're rare.

;)

Who "needs" it more..?

The tank. That's simple courtesy. You run things for loot, typically. If you decide he's just running it for fun and you deserve the item more because your 66% of a player gets more out of it, I wouldn't much care to group with you.

I mean, what if a tank item drops and the tank only gets, say, +5 End out of it. Well, I could sell that same item and make 2000 credits. I need credits more than he does. Who needs the item more?

Edited by Valin_Thren

Who "needs" it more..?

the player, always the player. ALWAYS.

ME ME ME I WANT IT YOU DONT GET IT ME

Why do people keep accusing those who roll need of a having a "ME ME ME, ALL MINE" mentality. That's the way the other side thinks.

Let me ask this. If some guy rolls need on an item for his companion, and you roll need for yourself and win, would he scream and yell about how you took his item? Of course he wouldn't. He doesn't feel entitled to the item, just a fair chance at it. But when you lose the roll you scream that you were robbed.

He losses a roll: "Oh well, it was a fair roll"

You lose a roll: "HE'S A THIEF, I WAS ROBBED!!!"

Who has the "ME ME ME" mentality here.

Why do people keep accusing those who roll need of a having a "ME ME ME, ALL MINE" mentality. That's the way the other side thinks.

Let me ask this. If some guy rolls need on an item for his companion, and you roll need for yourself and win, would he scream and yell about how you took his item? Of course he wouldn't. He doesn't feel entitled to the item, just a fair chance at it. But when you lose the roll you scream that you were robbed.

He losses a roll: "Oh well, it was a fair roll"

You lose a roll: "HE'S A THIEF, I WAS ROBBED!!!"

Who has the "ME ME ME" mentality here.

Bill Gates and I meet in the street and spot a $20 bill. We both lunge for it. He wins. Now, he totally doesn't need that $20. It'll help him, but I could use it a lot more. It was a fair competition. Does he deserve it more than I?

Bill Gates and I meet in the street and spot a $20 bill. We both lunge for it. He wins. Now, he totally doesn't need that $20. It'll help him, but I could use it a lot more. It was a fair competition. Does he deserve it more than I?

You've convinced me, I'm going to roll need for everything from now on.

I roll need on every group I am in...there is no way I am gonna be nice in an mmo..no way. It doesn't pay to be nice in an mmo...always always always roll need when given the option,..because if you do not....someone else will

Law of the MMO Jungle...always roll Need

you know, its not about losing a roll to a guy on one instance at all. Its about changing the mentality of some people because I feel the are using the loot system incorrectly or not as intended. (i know its a losing battle to change internet anons minds but...)

The reason why i think alot of you companion loot ninjas dont see the problem is because well, you get everything. you never have to feel like your missing anything because you "need" all our ****. You have never had to experience going through a flashpoint healing all the team to get your medic bracers ganked by some dude companion resting on his ship.

Treat others as you want to be treated. Companion loot ninjaing IS aproblem that needs adressing.

I am a person in a greater MMO community NOT and NPC in your personal single player game.

No, neither of you DESERVE it more. You could use it more, but you both had an equal chance. Thats not deserving.

I roll need on every group I am in...there is no way I am gonna be nice in an mmo..no way. It doesn't pay to be nice in an mmo...always always always roll need when given the option,..because if you do not....someone else will

Law of the MMO Jungle...always roll Need

It doesnt have to be that way. I would see you all banned and blacklisted. Community and grouping is important

Was the companion in the group when the item dropped? Did his or her AI directly contribute to the acquisition of this new item?

No? Then don't push need on it.

Yes? ...You should still probably check with other human players, first.

That would be the same as me running a flashpoint with 3 strangers. Say I'm on my Vanguard, and a End/Will BoE robe drops. I have a friend that plays a Shadow, and we actually have a static (neither of us do quests without each other). I push "need" on the robe because, hell, 90% of the time I'm doing stuff with my buddy. So what if he's not here, that item still benefits me because when he does better, we do better.

you know, its not about losing a roll to a guy on one instance at all. Its about changing the mentality of some people because I feel the are using the loot system incorrectly or not as intended. (i know its a losing battle to change internet anons minds but...)

The reason why i think alot of you companion loot ninjas dont see the problem is because well, you get everything. you never have to feel like your missing anything because you "need" all our ****. You have never had to experience going through a flashpoint healing all the team to get your medic bracers ganked by some dude companion resting on his ship.

Treat others as you want to be treated. Companion loot ninjaing IS aproblem that needs adressing.

I am a person in a greater MMO community NOT and NPC in your personal single player game.

Sorry, Ive lost out on loot that others *shouldnt* get before, its part of life. Its not fair and it happens. I'll continue to roll "need" on anything that know is an upgrade for me or my companion. If it doesnt upgrade either of those, than Ill continue to select pass.

It doesnt have to be that way. I would see you all banned and blacklisted. Community and grouping is important

and i would see anyone who wants to BAN SOMEONE FROM A VIDEO GAME, just because they're a jerk, kicked in the junk.

Doesn't mean either of us get our way.

Yea, hes a jerk. But he paid for the game just the same. If you don't like him being a jerk, report him(if he breaks a rule), and ignore him. But its his RIGHT to be a jerk.

Wow, you're absolutely right. The rich guy should give the $20 that's rightfully his to the guy who needs it more.

By the way, do you have a job? I am currently unemployed so why don't you give me your address so I can stop by an pick up my cash. I think we can start at a months pay. I'll probably be bringing along a moving truck for all of the things in your house that I need more than you.

But don't worry, once I take all our stuff, we can both find some guy who has more than us, then we will take all his stuff. It's like a reverse pyramid scheme.

I posted this in another thread, but maybe I need to put it here as well.

No, neither of you DESERVE it more. You could use it more, but you both had an equal chance. Thats not deserving.

Poor wording then, or a different connotation. My apologies.

I, myself, think the solution to this issue is to add another tier. Need/Companion/Greed - with Need only being unlocked if it actually has your class's stats on it.