High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

So the game has been out for 2 1/2 weeks and how many patches have the implemented? Also, with the game only having been out 2 1/2 weeks, BW is already releasing an update targeting bugs and new content.

BW is doing what they can it appears to bring the game up to standard and what the patches I have seen equals slow progress but progress all the same. Give them a few months and I am sure the texture issues will be addressed and corrected.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what the game is supposed to look like in textures.

(Hit full screen, obviously.)

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/jedi-shadow-0

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/sith-sorcerer-0

Especially check out this Powertech armor, how clean it looks in high-res with lots of detail.

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/powertech-0

That's straight from the offical website.

Looks like BioWare got some 'splainin' to do...

We don't ask them to fix it right away, but just to admit it and post official response.....

Yeah that's all I ask for. If we get this my worries would just go away and I'd say "okay at least I know this is something they are working on."

AA was definitely a nice surprise and a very welcome addition. Once this is done I will be very, very happy =)

If you think this is just lighting then all of you blind people have no say in anything.

Before - http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8974/screenshot2012010710454.jpg

After - http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/553/hirez.png

Examine the Glove and Arm piece you see the contours in the arm piece Do an AB on that Glove you see a definate change,The 1st screen the arm piece is a mess,2nd screen you see the red and blue capsules and the contours connected , This has to be the high rez thats been removed.

So the game has been out for 2 1/2 weeks and how many patches have the implemented? Also, with the game only having been out 2 1/2 weeks, BW is already releasing an update targeting bugs and new content.

BW is doing what they can it appears to bring the game up to standard and what the patches I have seen equals slow progress but progress all the same. Give them a few months and I am sure the texture issues will be addressed and corrected.

Considering how basic this issue is, it's quite laughable that you would say something like that. This issue is just as bad as if the LOW opetion hadn't exsisted, so the players with low specs wouldn't be able to play. Likewise people with high specs, which has paid additional ammounts of money for greater eyecandy are left in the dark, and not able to enjoy the beutiful graphics this game has to offer on high settings.

It's nice to see that AA is being added, but I would prefer that they fix the textures, before adding something as optional as AA.

Just read through the topic and saw the high/medium comparisons and noticed that while the textures do switch during the holocall to high, the lighting does seem to be a bit weird.The lighting is almost reversed. Maybe they have it disabled because of that?

Also, as for the AA issues, I've gladly had AA enabled since a few hours after I got the game. I simply forced it on through the Catalyst Control Panel. Without it, there are so many jaggies its crazy. Even Minecraft has less jaggies with no AA.

Bumping this with hopes of getting an official reply to the original question and an explanation of the removal of the medium setting on the PTR.

Ill bump it as well. Im headed back up north (to school) so i will reconnect with my desktop (much faster than my laptop) and i would like to play it in its full glory. Please Bioware just let us know whats happening!

That's straight from the offical website.

Looks like BioWare got some 'splainin' to do...

Those 2 pictures look pretty good. which is the low one?

edit: that second set of pictures posted by someone else has a huge difference though. i want to see the game like that!

Edited by Aisar

TextureQuality = 0

add it to your ini file

???

profit

Does this actually work?

Edit: that setting in my ini file is already 0

Man, I have to say, if BW's "fix" for this issue is to just turn Medium into High and just forget about it, well I don't know. This is something that bugs me a lot - especially every time I turn around and see my gf play WoW. Seriously disappointed.

Edited by eskachig

The truth is, at THIS moment, WoW's textures are better than SWTOR's. And that's a fact.

Much as i came to hate that game with wrath came out... that is in fact a very true statement. I've said the same thing many of times to friends as well. It's very sad that World of Warcraft beats this game up texture wise. Blizzard works to improve their engine and gfx qul with every expansion release. So far bioware has worked to undo their gfx qul with every beta release and launch. Take a look at the game textures and shadows way back when, like a year or two ago, look at the gfx qul, yeah. I'm not just talking about the char armor textures either... I know a lot of you just focus on that but I'm upset with the world gfx as well. Some of them are fairly nice and a lot of the textures looks like old playstation 1 games. What a joke and the joke is on us for paying them for it! I'm not a me me me person at all but when you release a game you better have did your homework and did your very best to ensure the game is awesome. Not just awesome in story and voice acting, but awesome in every aspect it can be. Folks have a right to say its 2012 and that games are to live up with modern tech. It's 2012 and we're playing a game that should've came out in 2005 at most. I played games back in 2000 that had textues that were sharper and more detailed. Forget your voice acting bioware... you're not going to fool me with your garbage. If your DEVs or power-to-be can't back up the talk with the walk than its time to stop making games.

Though I agree that the game should be completely finished and so on upon release. The reality of it is, with the MMO, they never have enough time. The main reason is time and money. You can only finance a project for so long before it just either has to come out, or you cancel it altogether. This happened to Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Not saying I like it, but I understand why games in this genre come out incomplete.

There is also the question of timing. WoW is in a decline with enough people leaving to support a few MMOs (yeah, I realize they currently have 10million subs, which is down by 2mil, but a decline it still is). MoP is also due out sometime this year, and a good number people are tired of Cata. The period before an xpac is when WoW is at it's most frail. EA had to strike with TOR now in order to take advantage of this, whether or not SWTOR was completely finished.

EA can draw on WAR to fully understand why timing is important. That game came out just two months before WotLK (which looked amazing for the time) after a well loved xpac, and WAR got pretty much destroyed. SWTOR is coming out with enough time to iron out the kinks, in between it's least popular xpac, and before an xpac that is showing more early disappointment by players than any other (if anything, it has people more divided between love and hate for it).

PS. Yes, I do know about the 'vocal minority' and so on, but that minority seems bigger and louder than before, so there may be some weight to it.

Here's the thing though what you do is you release a game with less content and save that for later. However at the very least you should always release your game with a working, stable and feature proof engine. TOR has more than enough content for any release and I'd much rather them have release this game with less content if it meant a working and feature proof engine.

Its a MMO and I know MMOs take time to fill out with content. That much i expect, but what I don't expect and will not accept is a broken old no feature engine. They spent all them years and all of that money on voice acting, and when it came down to crunch time what we got is a game engine that's more broken and feature lacking (gfx) than windows 95!

Comparing some of the screenshots BW offers us in the mediasection of the official website you can clearly see there is something wrong with the in game textures. Either they deliberatly lowered them so people on even slower computers can easely play the game and they will on a later moment activate the high res textures. Either it is somekind of bug that BW prolly is aware of and working on it. I do find there should be a little more communication from BW concerning some problems addressed by players;

Greetings

If you want a really good example of the difference in textures, grab yourself some of the republic dancer gear, equipped its a pale looking thing but on character select and in cut-scenes its a nice red color with gold edges.

It looks like you are wearing underwear with the medium textures and needs to be fixed.

Really not impressed that there are only two settings for texture in patch 1.1 and even more un-impressed that the specific details are not mentioned.

Sad to hear that the game used to have better shadows and they got 'snipped out' as well.

I'll be watching this thread...

BW meeting...

Dev.. hey boss the player base is in a uproar over high settings not working. Should we get on fixing that asap?

Boss.... Naw just take out the medium setting and label what was medium as high and any new players wont know the difference.. Man i am good i just saved Our company truck loads of time and money!

Devs hey boss the player base has noticed that when you zoom in close to your characters that the armor looks blurred.

Boss... Here is what you do code it so that when you try to zoom in close the game puts you in first person view! BOOM now players cant noticed the blurry armor textures!