High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, no matter what the high res textures during gameplay aren't working.

Try it. Stand in an area and look down, now cycle the low/medium/high texture options and you can clearly see a difference between low and medium BUT there is zero difference between medium and high (not even onboard ram usage goes up - i monitored it).

I recon we also only have medium shadows aswell and it was just labled as high (they;re far to blocky to be considered high IMO).

During the first beta weekend there were 4 shadow settings: Off, Low, Medium, High. Then a patch changed that to Off, Low, High, with the new High being the old Medium. The old High is not available at all any more. There has not been any explanation as to why they did it, it was just mentioned in some patch notes and there it was. I can still remember having absolutely sharp shadows before that change.

If you think this is just lighting then all of you blind people have no say in anything.

Before - http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8974/screenshot2012010710454.jpg

After - http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/553/hirez.png

there was a similar issue in DNF aswell, people thinking there were low res textures in the release compared to beta. in reality they changed the lightning effects a bit.

yes lightning can have a drastical impact on how you perceive details.

ignorance blinded you perhaps.

I don't know how anyone can look at those screenshots and deny the existence of high-res textures.

Only a few deny.

I am more baffled as to why it can't be on permanently.

Whatever flag / call / trigger the conversations set off can't be set to always on?

This seems.... childish for such a big company. Which makes me think there is another reason why they wont. Such as how some computers are already struggling with no AA and with it looking like blurrycrappyville.

Clearly, as what company goes "yeah oops no AA" There must be a serious issue with the engine and these features are victims in order to still have the game playable.

That being said your before picture isn't nearly as detailed as I think it should be. You may want to research your video card control panel, there was a setting that was artificially limiting the graphics for some people's cards.

I have Nvidia control panel quality set to high. It doesn't change anything.

For most of the planets I play the game around the 16 percent gamma mark - anything higher and it just looks..kinda bad? I do enjoy this game a lot, but I have a rig that's circa 2004 and I would love to use it. Rift is just blatenty beautiful, and although i really do enjoy the art in this game (mostly from a distance) up close the textures are sub par..i have to agree.

Lotro, Rift, and now swtor are the extent of my mmo history. For me, the idea of a giant world to explore is enticing when it feels real, and therefore looks amazing. 90 percent of the time i find swtor reminds me a lot of lotro, but even that has a myriad of graphic options (to enhance or decrease).

This does need to be implemented, and i can't wait for it!

there was a similar issue in DNF aswell, people thinking there were low res textures in the release compared to beta. in reality they changed the lightning effects a bit.

You might want to get a pair of prescription glasses... :rolleyes:

You speak rubbish.

No lightning affect will improve those textures. A lot of modern effects are to make overly crisp textures look more real. Multisampling methods etc. But no lighting effect will improve those textures.

Ok, from public test realm forums:

"There are now only two textures options low and high, I checked the public test client.

I guess medium is the new high lol."

ROFL.

For the love of jedi knights!, so instead of fixing the issue they simply removed the option.

:rolleyes:

Edited by MajorMelchett

For the love of jedi knights!, so instead of fixing the issue they simply removed the option.

:rolleyes:

Well if they don't have an ETA to fix the bug its best to just remove the option to remove the confusion. There is already a substantial difference from low to medium so the new comers that see these will assume this is the highest settings. I tell you what though the shadows on High are not high quality shadows at all not unless you call Minecraft shadows "high".

Edited by Phoenixblight

Public test servers just when live and I checked the texture settings and can confirm that the new high setting is in fact the old medium setting with no improvement. Disappointing to say the least I guess the recently posted IGN review of 8.5 on graphics for SWTOR was spot on. I would have given it more like a 8.0 for its graphics. I overall metascore also dropped today to 8.6/10

Public test servers just when live and I checked the texture settings and can confirm that the new high setting is in fact the old medium setting with no improvement. Disappointing to say the least I guess the recently posted IGN review of 8.5 on graphics for SWTOR was spot on. I would have given it more like a 8.0 for its graphics. I overall metascore also dropped today to 8.6/10

Very disappointing.

Well if they don't have an ETA to fix the bug its best to just remove the option to remove the confusion. There is already a substantial difference from low to medium so the new comers that see these will assume this is the highest settings. I tell you what though the shadows on High are not high quality shadows at all not unless you call Minecraft shadows "high".

I'd say it's hiding the issue in the hope that people who haven't checked will think it's ok, i find it kind of insulting that they've simply removed the medium setting and made medium to high instead. We know the high textures are there (we can see them) so removing the option is a bit cheeky IMO.

As for the shadows, totaly agree, they are so blocky it's quite shocking really.

---

Here's hoping this isn't the actual fix and it's just a stop gap until they sort it out properly (a responce to this would be nice).

You can also get a taste of what you are missing out on with the item preview.

Whenever you ctrl+click an item it previews it on your character. This preview window seems to use the lowest texture setting possible (it looks even worse than the medium pea soup we play with) but if you hit the companion tab, bam you can see what the equipment is supposed to look like.

So we're stuck with medium in-game, the item preview for your own character is super low res, but the item preview for your companions appears to be the correct, high resolution texture.

Crosspost from the PTS Forum:

Well, forcing MipMaps fixes the Muddy PaperDoll issues in the UI. But fails to fix the player object ingame.

Seems like they're forcefully rendering the player objects at a lower resolution.

e: Sitting in the city with a ton of players around I'm only using up about 35% - 40% of my Video Memory.

Should be able to handle Players and NPCs at Full Resolution.

Edited by Lemon_King

Why don't you people fix it yourselves, didn't think anyone was still running with the in game graphics. Whole Thread here I use the one on about the 7th page by Exilious, but I would try out the first page one first and see what your FPS is first than go to the last one.

http://au.gamespot.com/star-wars-the-old-republic/forum/comprehensive-list-of-swtor-ini-tweaks-keep-bumped-61343050?page=0

You might also want to run the game in Windows XP service pack 3, at the moment it dosn't run very well with windows 7, there was a whole thread on it, that explained the reason why, but no search I can't find it. The jist of it was that the game was made before windows 7 came out and dosn't play with the graphics ram nice (something like that been awhile since I changed it so can't remember the full reason), running in Windows Xp the far away objects seem to be a lot clearer.

To do that you need to right click on your launcher shortcut, click properties and go to compatibility, in the drop down menu it should have Windows XP (service pack 3). There was something about Windows Vista not having it and a work around for it, maybe somebody else has the answer there as I didn't read it.

Hope that helps some people, the graphics in this game with the high settings are amazing I know I spend a lot of time looking at the sceneary and using the camera that came with the CE.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/100/screenshot2012010201455.jpg/

Crosspost from the PTS Forum:

Well, forcing MipMaps fixes the Muddy PaperDoll issues in the UI. But fails to fix the player object ingame.

Seems like they're forcefully rendering the player objects at a lower resolution.

e: Sitting in the city with a ton of players around I'm only using up about 35% - 40% of my Video Memory.

Should be able to handle Players and NPCs at Full Resolution.

This coupled with the fact this is the only name backed game in how many years without AA, shadows with edges the size of pool table triangles and still so many people complaining about horrible fps?

I really really think there is an issue here they are trying to mask and they are forcing low settings.