High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Ive been complaining about this SINCE JULY. Yep thats how long textures have been broke. They USED to work, then they broke, and not ONCE have they ever said anything about fixing them.

The game ran just fine on high textures.

I mean seriously, look at this texture, its laughable. See her pants? Completely horrible. As an artist I would be ashamed to see that texture quality in my game. I made better looking textures for Quake 3 then that.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/screenshot2012010322113.jpg/

Point is they have completely ignored pretty much any discussion about the texture being broken since the last Dev QA. Its like they have no interest in it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing on max settings for weeks, never noticed anything suspicious. The high/medium thing i guess was a leftover as they only have 2 settings in 1.1.

I noticed chars are more detailed in cutscenes but THATS NORMAL in games. If everyone would look mega detailed the imperial fleet would be a lag-fest.

Yep Bioware is treating us like scum, allowing to see those "hi textures" in cutscenes and preventing from playing 'em! Thats outrageous i say:mad::mad::mad:! 'Cos RPG is all about characters for a lot of players, and I just dont want to pay money and see a bloody mess, where my char is supposed to be!!! FIX IT !!!!!!! NOW!:mad::mad::mad:

Yep Bioware is treating us like scum, allowing to see those "hi textures" in cutscenes and preventing from playing 'em! Thats outrageous i say:mad::mad::mad:! 'Cos RPG is all about characters for a lot of players, and I just dont want to pay money and see a bloody mess, where my char is supposed to be!!! FIX IT !!!!!!! NOW!:mad::mad::mad:

THey arent that bad but seriously, the game used to run with high res textures just fine. THEY BROKE IT, but refuse to give us any information on it.

Notice that they changed the UI settings to only give you two options in the new patch but they DIDNT LIST it in the patch notes. Hrmmm I wonder about that.

THey arent that bad but seriously, the game used to run with high res textures just fine. THEY BROKE IT, but refuse to give us any information on it.

Notice that they changed the UI settings to only give you two options in the new patch but they DIDNT LIST it in the patch notes. Hrmmm I wonder about that.

Most intelligent move they could have made tbh. If they can't fix it (which obviously they cannot) then you need to remove the problem altogether.

Problem solved. Good night everyone!

I still have three options in mine. You may want to check yours twice before using the world's largest font.

Edited by imtrick

Ah then he was trolling. However I still stand by that post heh

And im not trolling. I SWEAR TO GOD high res textures were in game, working fine back in march,-june time frame. They broke them then just completely ignored the huge number of threads about it and bug reports and drove on with launch without ever fixing or addressing the issue.

Anyone who was in beta for a long time will remember and back me up on this one. Just like High res shadows got broke and never fixed.

Most intelligent move they could have made tbh. If they can't fix it (which obviously they cannot) then you need to remove the problem altogether.

Problem solved. Good night everyone!

The problem is not in the amount of texture options we have! The problem is that we can see hi textures only in cutscenes... If they will lower the quality of em too, I'll definitely quit this game:mad:

Originally Posted by Harower

Wrong, I recorded a video of it.

The difference is mind boggling.

Why would you use that as an example when you clearly (no pin intended) cannot see anything? At least you can see him before the switch, after he is all covered in shadow.

How can you not see the difference?

Are you watching it 1080 fullscreen? I run a 2560x1600 samsung 30inch LED, but still.... watching it in fullscreen it is so clear. Look at the gloves, the lines on the arms etc.

It really worries me people can't see it ><

Edited by Harower

And im not trolling. I SWEAR TO GOD high res textures were in game, working fine back in march,-june time frame. They broke them then just completely ignored the huge number of threads about it and bug reports and drove on with launch without ever fixing or addressing the issue.

Anyone who was in beta for a long time will remember and back me up on this one. Just like High res shadows got broke and never fixed.

At least you got to see them in action full-time at all. They were alreaddy gone by the 15th Beta Weekend. I bet they were nice and shiny. But yeah like I said get rid of the problem and there you go lol.

At least you got to see them in action full-time at all. They were alreaddy gone by the 15th Beta Weekend. I bet they were nice and shiny. But yeah like I said get rid of the problem and there you go lol.

No no, seriously i love this game, but stuff like this;

Thats fricken bad. Look at her leg texture. Without high res that texture on her legs looks mega bad, like Quake 3 90s mega bad. See how pixelated and horrible it is? IVE made better textures then that in Microsoft PAINT.

Thos epants are suppose to have a web vien texture to them because they are like leggings.

You can CLEARLY see this when you see her in a cutscene, but in game it looks like someone smeared white and black paint on her legs.

I dont mind having to run at medium texture settings, but if THATS an example of medium textures, someone needs to take a look at their art team and tell them to do a better job, cause a first year art student could do better.

Thats fricken bad. Look at her leg texture. Without high res that texture on her legs looks mega bad, like Quake 3 90s mega bad. See how pixelated and horrible it is? IVE made better textures then that in Microsoft PAINT.

Thos epants are suppose to have a web vien texture to them because they are like leggings.

You can CLEARLY see this when you see her in a cutscene, but in game it looks like someone smeared white and black paint on her legs.

I dont mind having to run at medium texture settings, but if THATS an example of medium textures, someone needs to take a look at their art team and tell them to do a better job, cause a first year art student could do better.

Nope, they just need to shoot that guy, responsible for texture development....

Oh you do not need to convince me. All I need to do is play this game at max graphics settings to know there is a problem. It's right in front of my face ^^

Oh you do not need to convince me. All I need to do is play this game at max graphics settings to know there is a problem. It's right in front of my face ^^

Yeah, I mean hell, I will admit its been a while, but i use to work on

http://www.moddb.com/mods/spiderman-dynamic-forces

Im not saying I was a god by any means, but i did the shriek texture and spidey texture that looked better, and this was with the limited tools and engine we had back then.

I mean seriously BioWare, add some damn Bump mapping at least, give your textures a little depth so they dont look so flat and washed out.

This problem is definitely starting to get under my nerves. I'm not asking BioWare for an "instant fix" but they need to at least give us an ETA for something that should have been implemented during the game's initial release. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I agree, they havent said a word about it since last Dev QA which was I "think" before launch.

Can we please get a response on this ****? Just say "it's on our to do list" even if it takes 50 years to do it, or come out with it and tell us no we won't be doing it in the foreseeable future. Seriously how hard is it to communicate some, stupid developers.

Can we please get a response on this ****? Just say "it's on our to do list" even if it takes 50 years to do it, or come out with it and tell us no we won't be doing it in the foreseeable future. Seriously how hard is it to communicate some, stupid developers.

This!

Im not sure if anyone knows about this, as I didnt bother reading through all the pages, but...

If you're on Vista/Windows 7, I have a possible solution that worked for me!

Basically, set your launcher.exe and the actual swtor.exe's compatibilities to Windows XP Service Pack 3. Now everything looks better in game and RUNS better too.

This is true, it's not the same quality as in cutscenes, but the improvement is significant.

Rating this thread also.

You know whats funny... That this game took around 200 million $ and 7 years to make...:eek:

You what else is funny? People quoting vastly different amounts for the budget ... from 90 million to 300 million.

Looks like people like to talk out of their arse.

As for the textures though, there is obviously issues with it and it will be addressed. It would be nice to hear an official word though.

When I do the trick to see the better lighting (and I agree textures on the character only get better) it also manages to make any other character or companion in the area vanish for that .5 seconds.

Hopefully soon.