High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

The ineptitude of this development team makes the Age of Conan team at Funcom look like rocket scientists.

Not even close. The game runs and is pretty stable. AOC was still in beta six months after release.

Just because this game has no higher res textures or Anti-aliasing doesn't make AOC development better. The game plays where AOC wasn't stable at all for 6 months. AA and Higher res textures are eye candy and don't make the game better if they do then you are doing it wrong.

Gameplay > Graphics.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just going to throw my reply in here as well...

Bioware, hiding the problem behind a reduced High/Low texture dropdown is NOT a valid fix and isn't acceptable in the slightest; you either need to give us a -valid- reason for not allowing high resolution textures outside of dialogue (that they exist in dialogue lets us know they exist in the client we just can't have them) or tell us that you are fixing it.

Changing the slider to high/low only gives the impression that you've decided not to bother or are unable to fix it, and are simply burying the issue.

Edited by Kithzyan

Seems to me it's likely that if it's possible to get them via .ini tweaking, then they're withholding the option from the general gaming populace because while hirez might run smoothly most of the time for most players (e.g. in beta), there would likely be some problems that your average paying gamer would complain about, and BW want to tackle one thing at a time in an orderly fashion (currently the main issues being avatar responsiveness and high end fps).

Agreed with Kithzyan and many others this this thread.

If they are going to make a change like that on PTR, where medium is the new high, I think that those of us who are concerned about this issue, as well as the honesty of bioware are in at least some way due an explanation.

I love this game, but this turn of events is a bit shady.

For many people this game barely runs smoothly with the textures in the game now. You really think BW wants to risk more QQ by putting hi-res textures into the game and then having people figure out it drops them to 12 FPS? I'm not saying no one will be able to run them but putting them in the game now will just exacerbate the perception that this game is poorly coded. I'd say leave them out until they fix whatever flaws are making the lower-res version run like crap on so many systems.

Because the problem isn't solely related to hardware. There are people with beastly machines who can't get the game to run smoothly and there are people running machines barely above the minimum specs who (so they claim) are having no issues at all. The game obviously has its problems with certain hardware configurations that have nothing to do with the relative power of that hardware but are related to something else like drivers, bios versions or memory management.

Until the game runs in a way one might expect given the relative power of a machine, Bioware's just going to create more problems for themselves by putting in hi-res textures. Because the guy sitting on an SLI machine clocked to 4 GHZ with 16 GIGS of performance RAM isn't going to be happy when his machine can only run the game at 12 FPS with hi-res textures while some dude with a dual-core and a 460 is running at 60 FPS. It's just going to exacerbate the "Bioware can't code" complaints.

Please stop trolling, just because you believe the game is poorly coded does not mean that you suddenly know why Bioware's high detail option is broken. Not to mention your logic makes zero sense. You think by having a broken link labeled "high" people will be more likely to believe that bioware can successfully code games? If they were really following your strategy they would just have two options, low and high, with high being the current medium.

They are not going to trick anyone into thinking the game is well coded by having a broken graphics setting, please stop spewing nonsense.

Edited by Culveren

For many people this game barely runs smoothly with the textures in the game now. You really think BW wants to risk more QQ by putting hi-res textures into the game and then having people figure out it drops them to 12 FPS? I'm not saying no one will be able to run them but putting them in the game now will just exacerbate the perception that this game is poorly coded. I'd say leave them out until they fix whatever flaws are making the lower-res version run like crap on so many systems.

Because the problem isn't solely related to hardware. There are people with beastly machines who can't get the game to run smoothly and there are people running machines barely above the minimum specs who (so they claim) are having no issues at all. The game obviously has its problems with certain hardware configurations that have nothing to do with the relative power of that hardware but are related to something else like drivers, bios versions or memory management.

Until the game runs in a way one might expect given the relative power of a machine, Bioware's just going to create more problems for themselves by putting in hi-res textures. Because the guy sitting on an SLI machine clocked to 4 GHZ with 16 GIGS of performance RAM isn't going to be happy when his machine can only run the game at 12 FPS with hi-res textures while some dude with a dual-core and a 460 is running at 60 FPS. It's just going to exacerbate the "Bioware can't code" complaints.

clocked to 4 GHZ!!!!!!!!!!

lol that is all.

Edited by Harower

Please stop trolling, just because you believe the game is poorly coded does not mean that you suddenly know why Bioware's high detail option is broken. Not to mention your logic makes zero sense. You think by having a broken link labeled "high" people will be more likely to believe that bioware can successfully code games? If they were really following your strategy they would just have two options, low and high, with high being the current medium.

They are not going to trick anyone into thinking the game is well coded by having a broken graphics setting, please stop spewing nonsense.

Reports on the Test Server forums indicate that the underlined is indeed true. Medium is gone, and "high" is the current medium.

Reports on the Test Server forums indicate that the underlined is indeed true. Medium is gone, and "high" is the current medium.

Ah, so they do not know how to fix it yet then. Or perhaps the guy i quoted is correct, they do not want to much qq about performance. Regardless it does not make them look like better coders.

If medium is the new high, I won't be playing past the free month.

It may be shallow, but I don't want to play a game in 2012 with textures as muddy as TOR's.

Same, whilst I do enjoy this games gameplay, aesthetics are important to me, I like to feel like I've accomplished something in a game when I obtain high level gear. But the high level gear just looks terrible right now, no detail at all, I haven't seen graphics this low for a while

9 pages. No Bioware answer, and they are posting about ability delay. Guess you guys are right: they are just "patching" this issue so no new players notice that there won't be real high textures in the game for a while.

I'm curious what the new "low" will be then, or maybe they're lazy and will make medium and low be the same.....

We all know that high quality textures work at the log in screen and during chat, what is your point?

I think you misunderstood me. The other too pictures showed both as medium quality detail, with differences in lighting. I was not suggesting that high quality was working in gameplay.

While there is certainly an increased level of detail lighting, I made this gif so that you can a bit more easily see the shift in the actual texture quality, pay attention to the circled areas and the level of detail of the objects circled, you should pretty easily be able to see the difference in quality, and hopefully we can stop the argument.

http://m.uploadedit.com/bac/1325903803236.gif

Still hoping that Bioware posts an update on this, even just an answer to the original post would be great.

While there is certainly an increased level of detail lighting, I made this gif so that you can a bit more easily see the shift in the actual texture quality, pay attention to the circled areas and the level of detail of the objects circled, you should pretty easily be able to see the difference in quality, and hopefully we can stop the argument.

http://m.uploadedit.com/bac/1325903803236.gif

Still hoping that Bioware posts an update on this, even just an answer to the original post would be great.

Oh yeah that is a difference, so does that mean the medium and high settings are working as intended?

Oh yeah that is a difference, so does that mean the medium and high settings are working as intended?

That's what it shows when you click on the holoterminal on your ship, for a split second it switches to high textures then goes back to medium.

If you guys truly believe that Bioware is going to "fix" the issue by simply renaming the medium textures as high... I don't honestly know what to say. Just the idea that you would see something like that on the PTR and automatically assume that they're just trying to cover it up is, well, unbelievably ignorant.

They've said they know it's an issue, they've said a fix is in the works. They're obviously having issues with textures and shadows. At one point in beta both were significantly better, and then they were removed for refinement. When they're ready to be re-released they will be. If they intended to sweep it under the rug they wouldn't have acknowledged that the issue was there in the first place.

Edited by VicSkimmr

The first "Low" res textures are what the current game considered "medium" (and high, because high doesnt work and simply displays the same quality as medium).

Like the poster after you said, this is an example of what happens when you click your space mission terminal on your ship, for some reason it very briefly turns the textures on your character from medium to high.

Additionally, I agree with VicSkimmr - We cant assume that the removal of the medium setting means its not going to be fixed. But as I'm sure many will agree that it is cause for a fair bit of frustration, and all we are asking in this thread is for a bit of clarification.

Edited by GTownsend

If you guys truly believe that Bioware is going to "fix" the issue by simply renaming the medium textures as high... I don't honestly know what to say. Just the idea that you would see something like that on the PTR and automatically assume that they're just trying to cover it up is, well, unbelievably ignorant.

They've said they know it's an issue, they've said a fix is in the works. They're obviously having issues with textures and shadows. At one point in beta both were significantly better, and then they were removed for refinement. When they're ready to be re-released they will be. If they intended to sweep it under the rug they wouldn't have acknowledged that the issue was there in the first place.

Then why are they sweeping it under the rug with the "new" High and Low settings?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Bob-ombaFett