High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

If you guys truly believe that Bioware is going to "fix" the issue by simply renaming the medium textures as high... I don't honestly know what to say. Just the idea that you would see something like that on the PTR and automatically assume that they're just trying to cover it up is, well, unbelievably ignorant.

They've said they know it's an issue, they've said a fix is in the works. They're obviously having issues with textures and shadows. At one point in beta both were significantly better, and then they were removed for refinement. When they're ready to be re-released they will be. If they intended to sweep it under the rug they wouldn't have acknowledged that the issue was there in the first place.

I think they will address it at a later date, but they do not seem to be very hopeful if they are removing the three option system do they? Sure it may be fixed later, but if it were going to be really soon they would have left all three options in i think.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys truly believe that Bioware is going to "fix" the issue by simply renaming the medium textures as high... I don't honestly know what to say. Just the idea that you would see something like that on the PTR and automatically assume that they're just trying to cover it up is, well, unbelievably ignorant.

They've said they know it's an issue, they've said a fix is in the works. They're obviously having issues with textures and shadows. At one point in beta both were significantly better, and then they were removed for refinement. When they're ready to be re-released they will be. If they intended to sweep it under the rug they wouldn't have acknowledged that the issue was there in the first place.

Game is live. Live. Live. Live.

They shouldn't be "masking" missing features or functionality that should have been working at release. As an MMO your first impression has to be good. It has to. TOR is bungling the hell out of certain things, from combat responsiveness to this texture fiasco. Brushing it aside to fix at an as-yet-unannounced date (or maybe to never fix at all) is not a good strategy.

Here's my character (1280x1024).

Medium: http://imgur.com/NqI7j

High: http://imgur.com/M7Geg

I loaded both of those images into photoshop as two seperate layers, zoomed in, and flipped the top layer's visibility on and off. They are, in fact, different armor textures.

On the bright side, it's just characters that are affected. :/

Edited by Daemonjax

Game is live. Live. Live. Live.

They shouldn't be "masking" missing features or functionality that should have been working at release. As an MMO your first impression has to be good. It has to. TOR is bungling the hell out of certain things, from combat responsiveness to this texture fiasco. Brushing it aside to fix at an as-yet-unannounced date (or maybe to never fix at all) is not a good strategy.

I agree, I hate not being able to see the hi-res textures too, it sucks balls. But we just need to have patience. On the plus side, AA is making it back in, so that's half the problem solved (and was another thing that was removed during beta for refinement). Maybe they needed to fix AA before they could fix the textures, who knows?

Wanna see something funny.

Stand at your intercom on your ship. Zoom in close to your character. Click the intercom

Vioala!!! For .5 seconds you have high res textures for your armor!

BioWare trolled us with the textures in this game and they have yet to own up to the fact they are missing features from a shipped product that have representations in the game.

I tried this, & the results were amazing, and no its absolutely not a lighting trick.

I saw the jagged edges on the seams in my robe completly go smooth, next the wrinkles in my robe had more of a 3d depth it was like a total high texture flash of what my armor could look like, Cleaner smoother detailed, more depth and sharper with no jagged edges. and definately not due to lighting.

If they fix this the armors going to look 50% better.

The details no longer look painted on, they have depth,as if they are seperate pieces instead of one painted texture.

I'm looking forward to a High rez texture patch, It may take awhile but there truely is a differance.

Edited by CygnusMX

Because the problem isn't solely related to hardware. There are people with beastly machines who can't get the game to run smoothly and there are people running machines barely above the minimum specs who (so they claim) are having no issues at all. The game obviously has its problems with certain hardware configurations that have nothing to do with the relative power of that hardware but are related to something else like drivers, bios versions or memory management.

Until the game runs in a way one might expect given the relative power of a machine, Bioware's just going to create more problems for themselves by putting in hi-res textures. Because the guy sitting on an SLI machine clocked to 4 GHZ with 16 GIGS of performance RAM isn't going to be happy when his machine can only run the game at 12 FPS with hi-res textures while some dude with a dual-core and a 460 is running at 60 FPS. It's just going to exacerbate the "Bioware can't code" complaints.

So, how about we don't have to pay sub-fee's until it's fixed then?

Sounds like a fair trade too me, if they want our money, give us what it's suppose to be.

It is really annoying seen such bad textures, you can see that the game can look really great.

In the cut-scenes with the depth of field it can down right look great.

So when the first 30 days come up for all of us soon, they might lose more than a few subs.

So, how about we don't have to pay sub-fee's until it's fixed then?

Sounds like a fair trade too me, if they want our money, give us what it's suppose to be.

It is really annoying seen such bad textures, you can see that the game can look really great.

In the cut-scenes with the depth of field it can down right look great.

So when the first 30 days come up for all of us soon, they might lose more than a few subs.

Well the games still in grace period,your not actualy paying subscription yet.

I'm a detail and texture freak.but If it takes time to patch the high textures I'll still enjoy the game, Its still nice looking but (speculation) They may be trying to implement the high textures with caution.

I know Dragon age 2, they pleased many single core users that complained about not being able to run the game, Even though these single core users KNEW the minimum requirement was a dual Core CPU.

They ASSUMED that the game would run fine on their systems, They were Wrong, but bioware worked hard, pleased those people who ignored minimum requirments and they fixed the game for single core users even though they had absolutely no obligation due to the minimum requirements were listed for every customer to see and make a judgement call on their purchase.

there was a similar issue in DNF aswell, people thinking there were low res textures in the release compared to beta. in reality they changed the lightning effects a bit.

yes lightning can have a drastical impact on how you perceive details.

ignorance blinded you perhaps.

There is ZERO chance for lighting to up texture quality like that, don't be silly.

Lighting is LIGHT, it can only affect shadows and light.

It can't make a FUZZY texture sharp with higher detail.

The picture of the gloves in comparison is extreme. It is LOW to HIGH in an instant.

I guess your ignorance about lighting "shines" through.

Besides, the argument is moot since they already acknowledged there IS a problem with high textures not displaying.

Okay, I found another way to show the difference between med and high textures completely by accident.

Go to the GTN and stand your character in front of a kiosk, maybe about 3-6 in game feet from the kiosk. Now start rotating your camera around real slowly to where it's bumping into the kiosk. If you get it just right you'll zoom up closer to your character and see the textures stream in. It reminds me of the Unreal Engine texture streaming.

I hope that makes since. But it appears some kind of flag that says "damn you are too close to camera, load better textures now!". What's weird is it won't do that with mouse wheel zoom in, only when it's forced by objects in the camera's way.

I have no idea...but I'm actually doing that right now. I doubt we're gonna get a response so I decided to just go ahead and reinstall. I will let you all know once I'm done. *sigh* =(

I know some people will say I am really shallow for this but I think I am going to take a break until this is fixed if the reinstall doesn't work.

Textures for me are really important in a game and as I play through it I feel as if I am missing out seeing the beautifully crafted worlds, armor, etc. on low texture detail. Once I hit a dialogue conversation and see how gorgeous it is supposed to look it makes me more bummed out during gameplay =.=

This is an example of the modern mmo customer. They will never stay around and support a game. Its gimme this now or I quit! How many games failed to reach its true potential because it had too many customers like this? The game is not even a month old and you have these types quitting. Do you types realize that the things you want are much more likely to be implemented when a game has a solid subscription base? What exactly is the big hurry?

How about instead of being one of the gimme now crowd you become one of the people who work with the developers to develop a great game over time. You think WOW would have been the great game it is if everyone quit over every problem they have like you?

Edited by KROSSDARK

Wrong, I recorded a video of it.

The difference is mind boggling.

Why would you use that as an example when you clearly (no pin intended) cannot see anything? At least you can see him before the switch, after he is all covered in shadow.

This is an example of the modern mmo customer. They will never stay around and support a game. Its gimme this now or I quit! How many games failed to reach its true potential because it had too many customers like this? The game is not even a month old and you have these types quitting. Do you types realize that the things you want are much more likely to be implemented when a game has a solid subscription base? What exactly is the big hurry?

How about instead of being one of the gimme now crowd you become one of the people who work with the developers to develop a great game over time. You think WOW would have been the great game it is if everyone quit over every problem they have like you?

Wow you live in a seriously crazy fantasy world. You need a reality check and I mean that in the nicest way possible ^^

I loaded both of those images into photoshop as two seperate layers, zoomed in, and flipped the top layer's visibility on and off. They are, in fact, different armor textures.

On the bright side, it's just characters that are affected. :/

umm... I'm pretty sure the world textures are also stuck on Medium. If they weren't, you would still have another load screen when swapping from Medium to High, only your character would be the one with no texture change.

You fail to see that we as the consumer, buy a product that we want finished and polished, so that is the producers duty to ensure. It's like buying a Porsche with fake leather seats, and a broken engine.....

umm... I'm pretty sure the world textures are also stuck on Medium. If they weren't, you would still have another load screen when swapping from Medium to High, only your character would be the one with no texture change.

That is a good, but saddening point :(

Im not sure if anyone knows about this, as I didnt bother reading through all the pages, but...

If you're on Vista/Windows 7, I have a possible solution that worked for me!

Basically, set your launcher.exe and the actual swtor.exe's compatibilities to Windows XP Service Pack 3. Now everything looks better in game and RUNS better too.

I've been playing on max settings for weeks, never noticed anything suspicious. The high/medium thing i guess was a leftover as they only have 2 settings in 1.1.

I noticed chars are more detailed in cutscenes but THATS NORMAL in games. If everyone would look mega detailed the imperial fleet would be a lag-fest.

Wow you live in a seriously crazy fantasy world. You need a reality check and I mean that in the nicest way possible ^^

Though I agree that the game should be completely finished and so on upon release. The reality of it is, with the MMO, they never have enough time. The main reason is time and money. You can only finance a project for so long before it just either has to come out, or you cancel it altogether. This happened to Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Not saying I like it, but I understand why games in this genre come out incomplete.

There is also the question of timing. WoW is in a decline with enough people leaving to support a few MMOs (yeah, I realize they currently have 10million subs, which is down by 2mil, but a decline it still is). MoP is also due out sometime this year, and a good number people are tired of Cata. The period before an xpac is when WoW is at it's most frail. EA had to strike with TOR now in order to take advantage of this, whether or not SWTOR was completely finished.

EA can draw on WAR to fully understand why timing is important. That game came out just two months before WotLK (which looked amazing for the time) after a well loved xpac, and WAR got pretty much destroyed. SWTOR is coming out with enough time to iron out the kinks, in between it's least popular xpac, and before an xpac that is showing more early disappointment by players than any other (if anything, it has people more divided between love and hate for it).

PS. Yes, I do know about the 'vocal minority' and so on, but that minority seems bigger and louder than before, so there may be some weight to it.

I've been playing on max settings for weeks, never noticed anything suspicious. The high/medium thing i guess was a leftover as they only have 2 settings in 1.1.

I noticed chars are more detailed in cutscenes but THATS NORMAL in games. If everyone would look mega detailed the imperial fleet would be a lag-fest.

Which would then be a problem on their end. They never came up with a good solution to the problems they created from day one so they have to dumb down the game >.>

What about instancing? Is this not suppose to significantly reduce lag and load on us by putting people into a second "world" once the first becomes full? There are things in place to solve the problem you described.

They simply botched it.