High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Stop posting hires vs lowres pictures everyone, it makes me wanna cry!

We're missing out, big time!

I was just about to post something similar to this. The game can look so good and it's such a shame how much we're missing out. Hopefully BioWares fixes the issue soon.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey look, another person offended to hear peoples completely valid gripe they have with the game that could be fixed by giving their players actual options.

Barely anyone in here is complaining about the shading of the world and the effects. They are complaining about their characters armor textures looking like junk and providing factual evidence showing how the game cuts their definition.

Edited by Caonimah

That's the funny thing though. With the current restrictions the game can be amazingly pretty and then jarringly ugly in alternates. How pretty the game *can* be makes it all the worse when some godawful texture butts its way into the scene. Like for example, my character's face outside cutscenes. You design the character with highrez textures, then play with medium ones...it took me awhile to realize the difference.

Hey look, another person offended to hear peoples completely valid gripe they have with the game that could be fixed by giving their players actual options.

Barely anyone in here is complaining about the shading of the world and the effects. They are complaining about their characters armor textures looking like junk and providing factual evidence showing how the game cuts their definition.

People are moaning that good enough textures aren't already in game.

I agree, but that doesn't mean the game is hideously unplayable.

Edited by Hessen

we will get high resolution textures everytime and not only during dialog cutscenes?

I think textures in cut scenes are just as low res. I do see higher res textures in random places around the game world though, one example is the Varantikus on Voss.

Edited by milmo

People are moaning that good enough textures aren't already in game.

I disagree.

Zoom into those characters and tell me that the armor textures look good. Even a turd my look good at a distance.

And "good enough" is incredibly conformist when you know that the game is capable of giving you more.

I recon we also only have medium shadows aswell and it was just labled as high (they;re far to blocky to be considered high IMO).

This! I look at what would otherwise be a beautiful game (even with the permastuck medium settings, though I have everything maxed out), and for some reason I look at my shadow...especially when on snow in Hoth, and it makes me sad how poor the shadow rendering is. I know it's not my computer, which would be the typical CS response "ensure your computer is set to so on and so forth..."

Edited by aramisx

Your missing the entire point.

The textures ARE in the game.

I'm not too sure, It seems they have been partially implemented. I think the cut scene textures look like crap, so I'm not sure what people calling them high res are smoking. There are high res textures at random around the game world, but I've yet to see them on any armors.

You're missing my entire point. It doesn't matter.

"It looks good enough for me, so its good enough for everyone else"

I'm not too sure, It seems they have been partially implemented. I think the cut scene textures look like crap, so I'm not sure what people calling them high res are smoking. There are high res textures at random around the game world, but I've yet to see them on any armors.

A lot of the armor do look like crap even when in cutscenes. The issue is that they look sharper while in them. Sharper is better than blurrier/muddier.

Edited by Caonimah

What on earth? They just closed off this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=139660&page=8

And then posting some ridicolous workaround that isn't working at all?!

Bioware, I wrote in my last post that you shouldn't keep us in the dark but this is exactly what you are doing, don't do this towards your players.

We NEED a threat about this in the general AND PTS forums, don't close threads, just don't.

What on earth? They just closed off this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=139660&page=8

And then posting some ridicolous workaround that isn't working at all?!

Bioware, I wrote in my last post that you shouldn't keep us in the dark but this is exactly what you are doing, don't do this towards your players.

We NEED a threat about this in the general AND PTS forums, don't close threads, just don't.

No, there doesn't need to be a thread about a known issue on the PTS forums at all, the current patch on there has nothing to do with this.

That was five years ago...please don't tell me you're comparing the textures in a game from 2007 to a game in 2012.

next time read the post i am responding to beforehand. the poster said he thinks games from 2007 have better graphical models and detail then SWTOR.

No, there doesn't need to be a thread about a known issue on the PTS forums at all, the current patch on there has nothing to do with this.

Yes, there is a need of a topic regarding this in the PTS, as the thread was created when there was an update note regarding this.

Now this update note might have been misunderstood but no matter what, there was an ongoing discussion about the matter at hand and to shut down a relatively big thread just like that is simply not positive in any matter of way.

Yes, there is a need of a topic regarding this in the PTS, as the thread was created when there was an update note regarding this.

Now this update note might have been misunderstood but no matter what, there was an ongoing discussion about the matter at hand and to shut down a relatively big thread just like that is simply not positive in any matter of way.

Don't get me wrong I know it's an important issue but if that board is just filled with threads about things people want fixed and nothing actually relevant to the PTS builds it's not much use at all. Better to keep them here in general.

Yes there is because they 1.1 patch is trying to hide the problem with the setting options change, i consider this part of the problem and pertinent to the patch. They shouldn't have closed and they should also stop repeating that silly work around.

I honestly think that the high res textures has something to do with the heat issues many have with SWtor.

The PC's heat up A LOT during cutscenes, where high res seems to be enabled.

Even on PC's that play crysis, skyrim etc on ultra and maxed AA without any heat issues at all.