Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>.< Ignorant post.

How is it ignorant to say that a company wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on game where you can't even sit in a chair?

Not only did they choose a horrible engine they don't even know how to implement minor features with it.

Edited by Baalazar

Agreed. Why anyone would choose the same tried and failed engine, that Cryptic uses for all of its games, is beyond me. I've never seen anyone look at Champions or Star Trek Online, and say:

"I want my game to run that poorly!"

Edited by Fiachsidhe

The technical aspect why and who is interesting to discuss but it's not something for this forum.

My respect to all people who are well studied programmers but well this forum is full of trolls and people that are full of them selves, so pardon me if I don't take every ones word for it.

I did some programming myself during education but It was more the necessary basics as a part of a different study, I wouldn't claim that I know the fine points this engine and Biowares decision or the complexity of coding.

How ever what I can point out is this.

MMO's tend to be CPU depended, this translates into that the CPU has a big impact on your FPS.

Now think of it like how the average player experiences this engine.

1: It doesn't support dual/quad cores (even though Bioware stated that SWTOR would) this automatically means a FPS loss.

This is a common question asked by people, why is the FPS bad well this a part of the reason.

2: Another thing is people asking why the loading screens a long.

Well no matter if you use a SDD and have a fast computer the loading screens are pretty long.

This has also something to do with the hero engine.

3: Character responsiveness, basically the choppy gameplay.

Well I don't know if it is hero engine related so I can't point a finger.

Seen some claims here and there.

What I can say is that I've seen this done much better.

4: No DX 10/11 , DX 10 has been out for a long time DX11 improves FPS.

This is engine related.

The lack of AA and other eye candy is something I will leave in the middle.

Point is many problems people run into are because of the engine choice.

Now I am not stating that making their own engine that would be tuned to their MMO needs would have been a better option financially and time wise.

I'm just stating that this engine has limitations and does cause some problems.

Lol Wow... So stop trolling I guess?

How is it ignorant to say that a company wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on game where you can't even sit in a chair?

Not only did they choose a horrible engine they don't even know how to implement minor features with it.

Ever considered the possibility that perhaps they disparately decided other things were more important that sitting. I am not saying that its the correct choice, but it could be that they know how and do not.

They went with the HEROengine because it was dirt cheap.

Proprietary Engine (v4.0)

Directional Light Shafts

Color Grading

Point Light Shafts

Plus much much more...

Water effects:

Mass PvP:

______

Unreal Engine 3

Directional Light Shafts

Color Grading

Point Light Shafts

Plus much much more...

http://www.unrealengine.com/awards_accolades/

DCUO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfMx9TTUas0

Tera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-1gDZBcsWY

Mass PvP:

______

SWTOR Water Effects (/facepalm)

HEROengine (/facepalm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEuFZbdJsKk

Mass PvP:

Edited by Sizzurps

Thats wierd, I sit in the captains chair of my ship whenever I craft....

But it does seem like there could have been room for a new engine somewhere in that $200mill.

:(

Well, for starters you CAN sit in chairs, it is limited to active chairs like some of the ones in your ship. I have found that the Captain's seat and lounge area chair work fine. They aren't all over the common areas to reduce lag I suppose.

I'm happy with the engine overall. I hate the capes clipping through everything, but for the most part it does many things very well on my machine. I can't speak to your experience, but at the least you are exaggerating. I would not call you on it if it weren't for others being misinformed by your erroneous statements.

AMEN I have a good gaming pc

and everything is slow loading, major lag if you play for long time due to memory leak

I play a lot, being disabled it allows it haha, but after 3 hours of gameplay the game is eating over 2 gigs of ram and slows to a crawl.

oh and don't log out using quit button in game it takes FOREVER for the game client to quit.

what I do is alt tab, open task manager and end task on swtor.exe then the game instantly exits.

then i relog for another 3 hours of gameplay before the memory leak monster eats it all up again.

and this is on a SSD hard drive.

Same thing here, except it's not a SSD. I like the Alt-Tab quitting. Will do next time. Also, if I just quit and restart the game it will run smother. I thought I had to reboot comp?

Thats wierd, I sit in the captains chair of my ship whenever I craft....

But it does seem like there could have been room for a new engine somewhere in that $200mill.

:(

I pictured you sitting with your armor on and knitting.....making a sweater for your companion.

Back on topic....here is my contribution.

Budget for SWTOR was approximately $200,000,000, as disclosed in the year end financial reports of EA. With that amount of money, we have what we have.....

DICE built from the ground up Frostbite 2.0 for about $100,000,000. Then you add the cost of BF3 itself, which hasn't been disclosed yet but is said to be between $100,000,000 and $150,000,000. We aren't asking for BF3 graphics.....

There is no reason why SWTOR could not have a proper engine built for itself within that $200,000,000 budget. Or in the least a better engine than HE.

Edited by PostalTwinkie

Interestingly enough Blizzard added better Fire, water effects, and Quad core support to their MMO Engine way way after game launch.

Yet people for some reason think Bioware won't be able to improve the changes needed in this engine.... seriously people wake up. When it comes to programming, anything can be changed. They have made huge improvements over ability delay over the short time it has been released. I'd take a guess in a short few months most major issues will all be addressed.... just like WoW's were.

Hero Engine is really a pile of crap, at least compared to whatever WoW uses.

Compared to what WoW uses? You have looked at the graphic models WoW uses right? That engine is so out dated sub par and you are trying to compared it to anything else? Seriously?

Edited by Deyjarl

Compared to what WoW uses. You have looked at the graphic models WoW uses right? That engine is so out dated you are trying to say its crap compared to what WoW uses? Seriously?

There's more to game engines than how many polygons they can render on screen.

Bioware wanted to develop a MMO. That's fine...if they wanted a MMO, then why did they chose an engine that:

1) Cannot handle a 20vs20 fight without FPS and ability lag

2) Cannot handle many players in a specific zone without sharding and separating them

3) Cannot handle zone transitions without massive and oh-so-often reoccurring loading screens?

4) Has so much difficulty syncing ability animations with their damage/effect

I would really like to have these questions answered. Thank you!

AMEN I have a good gaming pc

and everything is slow loading, major lag if you play for long time due to memory leak

I play a lot, being disabled it allows it haha, but after 3 hours of gameplay the game is eating over 2 gigs of ram and slows to a crawl.

oh and don't log out using quit button in game it takes FOREVER for the game client to quit.

what I do is alt tab, open task manager and end task on swtor.exe then the game instantly exits.

then i relog for another 3 hours of gameplay before the memory leak monster eats it all up again.

and this is on a SSD hard drive.

I have exactly the same behaviour and I have top notch PC specific for MMO gaming. The IO rate is incredible and multiply per player on screen activity hence not allowing any mass player activity at the same time (see Ilum PVP area - a mass drainage of performance). 16 players within refresh rate area is the maximum swtor can take at the moment.

Well just hope they can fix this and it is not a core infrastructure problem based on the engine chosen because if so we are all ......