Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

So? Most modern FPS games use a modified game engine from the 90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quake_-_family_tree.svg

Not true... the sturdy and robust engines used today are only similar in name only to their older counterparts. It's like saying that Windows 7 is just a modified version of Windows 3.1. Absolutely, not.

Unreal Engine 3

Cry Engine 3

id Tech 5

For instance, id Tech 5, uses a process known as "Virtual Texturing" supporting textures with resolutions up to 128,000 x 128,000 pixels. It also comes with id Studio. The way it processes and handles various assets is drastically different from its previous counterpart. It also comes with new tools and bundles.

Edited by Sizzurps

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is as good as it gets folks for this engine. This is why the 1st 3 battlegrounds are small scale so they could hide the problem. The person from BW that choose this steaming pile is no longer with them. Seems he is getting the last laugh. Most do not notice it till they get to a zone where more than 20 peeps are fighting and the game crawls to snail status.

300 million dollars are they pick a free engine: Go Figure!

Bioware wanted to develop a MMO. That's fine...if they wanted a MMO, then why did they chose an engine that:

1) Cannot handle a 20vs20 fight without FPS and ability lag

2) Cannot handle many players in a specific zone without sharding and separating them

3) Cannot handle zone transitions without massive and oh-so-often reoccurring loading screens?

4) Has so much difficulty syncing ability animations with their damage/effect

I would really like to have these questions answered. Thank you!

i think most of this is how they programmed it not so much a limitation of the core.

1. this one not sure if a hero limit or just fault coding.

2. sharding was a choice they did to keep poepel fighting for mobs/items in the worlds lower so not hear alot of " dude this guy keep killing X i need for a a quest."

3. as in one, and could speed up as coding streamlined.

4. my animations vs effects pretty spot on, or at lest seem so to me. my ravage goes off as a click it and the animations seel to fit the timing.

Not true... the sturdy and robust engines used today are only similar in name only to their older counterparts. It's like saying that Windows 7 is just a modified version of Windows 3.1. Absolutely, not.

Unreal Engine 3

Cry Engine 3

id Tech 5

For instance, id Tech 5, uses a process known as "Virtual Texturing" supporting textures with resolutions up to 128,000 x 128,000 pixels. It also comes with id Studio. The way it processes and handles various assets is drastically different from its previous counterpart. It also comes with new tools and bundles.

I think you mean Mega Texturing?

Unreal Engine 3

Cry Engine 3

id Tech 5

Lol? if you knew anything about game development you would know we cannot use 128k textures. When developing? Yes you could. While playing? nope you cannot, max textures for games (PC) are currently 2048 x 2048, other than that its not worth the problem that 4068 x 4068 will cause.

Bioware wanted to develop a MMO. That's fine...if they wanted a MMO, then why did they chose an engine that:

1) Cannot handle a 20vs20 fight without FPS and ability lag

2) Cannot handle many players in a specific zone without sharding and separating them

3) Cannot handle zone transitions without massive and oh-so-often reoccurring loading screens?

4) Has so much difficulty syncing ability animations with their damage/effect

I would really like to have these questions answered. Thank you!

1. Not everyone has that problem.

2. Guess what, WoW does this too, its called phasing... look it up.

3. Load screens? really complaining about load screens!!

4. What? No it doesnt.

Your welcome.

I don't feel like wading through 80 odd pages of this so...

Has anyone in this thread actually proven that the Hero engine is causing performance issues 'cause it's garbage, or is this just getting tossed around with no evidence? How do we know it's not, say, the way Bioware utilized the engine, or some odd compatibility issue with DirectX, or about a billion other things?

Has anyone in this thread actually proven that the Hero engine is causing performance issues 'cause it's garbage, or is this just getting tossed around with no evidence? How do we know it's not, say, the way Bioware utilized the engine, or some odd compatibility issue with DirectX, or about a billion other things?

Mostly "I dont like TOR so blame it on the engine". The hero engine is quite actually good.

Nope, nobody has proved a thing. This thread is full of opinion presented as fact, and a LOT of speculation and conjecture.

It's also full of a number of armchair developers who should probably be starting their own companies as they seem to know more about software development than EA and BioWare.

Nope, nobody has proved a thing. This thread is full of opinion presented as fact, and a LOT of speculation and conjecture.

It's also full of a number of armchair developers who should probably be starting their own companies as they seem to know more about software development than EA and BioWare.

I'm not convince they don't know more about software development than EA at least. :D

Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, EA and BW make enough, you could have outsourced your Engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision.

Why?

Crikey this guy knows everything. Maybe he will be the next trillionaire!

100% correct, this guy knows everything about engines, why isnt he some amazing developer like EA or Blizzard yet?

I don't need to know everything about game engines to know, that something with lower res textures and models should run at least as smooth as any other game with similar graphics and similar design. I played a lot of MMOs before, took part in 150 vs 150 battles in Lineage 2, in massive zerg fights in Aion, did raids and PvP in WoW and nothing, I mean nothing compares to the crap here. I had 80fps fighting at the gates of Aden, I could actually see the animations in gargantual zergfights in Abyss, but somehow I have 2fps all the time in 40vs40 fights on Ilum. That's how I know this engine sucks old socks. I don't have to be an engine developer to say that much.

Regards,

Kalantris

I don't need to know everything about game engines to know, that something with lower res textures and models should run at least as smooth as any other game with similar graphics and similar design. I played a lot of MMOs before, took part in 150 vs 150 battles in Lineage 2, in massive zerg fights in Aion, did raids and PvP in WoW and nothing, I mean nothing compares to the crap here. I had 80fps fighting at the gates of Aden, I could actually see the animations in gargantual zergfights in Abyss, but somehow I have 2fps all the time in 40vs40 fights on Ilum. That's how I know this engine sucks old socks. I don't have to be an engine developer to say that much.

Regards,

Kalantris

Lower textures? Maybe, lower models? Lol I cant help but laugh at that. Do we need screenshots of how bad other MMO's models are? WoW is boxes.

I don't need to know everything about game engines to know, that something with lower res textures and models should run at least as smooth as any other game with similar graphics and similar design.

Can you prove that it's the engine at fault?