7.4 GTN Preview Live on PTS

JoeStramaglia

1 hour ago, Darkestmonty said:

I'm fine with limited favorites. It's not a feature we had before and not something most players will need a lot of. Favorites is the perfect feature to sell additional unlocks for on the Cartel Market.

Limiting players to 10 purchases, something which we had no limits on before, just to sell us back our purchasing power is a crap move.

I don't understand the argument here. Only because we never had this featured, doesn't mean it has to be implemented now in a annoying way. I don't get what the reasoning to limiting the favorites is. Also, to such a low number. Makes no sense to me and should definitely be higher.

6 hours ago, Swuuutor said:

I don't understand the argument here. Only because we never had this featured, doesn't mean it has to be implemented now in a annoying way. I don't get what the reasoning to limiting the favorites is. Also, to such a low number. Makes no sense to me and should definitely be higher.

New features like Favorites on the GTN can be introduced with limitations. If the company is smart they can later sell greater access to that new feature stating "we hear you players requesting more Favorites so put the unlock on the CM!!"

Existing features which traditionally had no limitations, like the ability to buy items on the GTN, suddenly being limited to 10 is like hearing Broadsword arrogantly scream "hey idiots, buy that feature back because we know you will" and that creates ill will in the population.

It's mainly a PR and marketing.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 1

i have question about the favorites system from the new GTN if @JoeStramaglia can answer it.

if you have set up 5 favorites in the GTN and you drop back to preferred status what will happing to the 5 favorietes then you have set up on the GTN?

will there be gone or will there be stay.

Edited by Spikanor

Finally had a chance to have a look at this on the PTS. I'll have more to say but the first thing I noticed is that the suggested pricing seems massively off right now?

As an example, I wanted to sell 1138 warzone medpacs.

The new GTN suggested I sell them at 159,320 credits PER UNIT.

However, when I search for the same item on the "buy" tab, the current cheapest and median price shown is 5300 credits. That's a pretty wacky difference.

12 minutes ago, Tiranea said:

Finally had a chance to have a look at this on the PTS. I'll have more to say but the first thing I noticed is that the suggested pricing seems massively off right now?

As an example, I wanted to sell 1138 warzone medpacs.

The new GTN suggested I sell them at 159,320 credits PER UNIT.

However, when I search for the same item on the "buy" tab, the current cheapest and median price shown is 5300 credits. That's a pretty wacky difference.

Maybe their plan is to stabilize the economy with warzone medpacs.

• Dev Post

Hello folks! Thank you so much for all the feedback, especially from those of you that have hopped on PTS and given it a fair shake! I wanted to take a moment to answer some of your questions.

On 10/27/2023 at 1:36 PM, BenKatarn said:

Am I correct in assuming you are talking about gear that usually has a prefix to its name that is based on one of Star Wars' many companies, i.e. Adascorp, InterroTek, QorWorks etc, or in the case of low level gear, named after a race, i.e. Cerean, Gamorrean, Echani, with each of those prefixes implying a specific stat distribution?

Yes, these are the type of items that currently are incompatible with the new GTN due to the way the random elements of the items work. The system currently would make those pieces become unidentified and the item the buyer would receive would not necessarily be the item you listed.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:06 PM, Darcmoon said:

Is this going to work like the current suggested price does?  As I understood it, the price that is suggested is supposed to be based of recent sale prices.  Unfortunately I’ve had it list the suggested price at 1/3 or more than the going price for items.  That doesn’t seem like it is keeping a record or history very well. I worry that this will have the same issue. 

It's important to note that these are medians, meaning if the price has historically been higher and is now trending downwards there will be a bit of lag between the median price and the currently listed price (also listed prices don’t affect the median only successful sales). However you will see more information in the new Market Data section detailing both the median, as well as highs and lows (of successful sales) to give you a better idea, you will also see what folks are currently listing at.

On 10/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, Darkestmonty said:

Are trade taxes changing?

Not currently planned, due to the way trade works with both parties being taxed the effective rate is 16% which is still slightly higher than the maximum effective tax rate on the GTN. The goal is to drive transactions between players through the GTN to ensure players get the best prices and to mitigate fraud.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

can you please explain the difference between the marginal rate & the effective rate? Why is there a difference? 

Of course! So in a progressive system, you are only charged a specific % on the credits that fall within that range. Meaning you only pay 6% on the first million credits, even if the listing in question is 1 Billion. This means that while the marginal rate increases as the list price increases, the effective rate does not match the marginal rate outside of the first bracket. Think of “effective” as the true percent being paid on a listing at that specific price, whereas marginal is the amount charged to a specific “margin” or bracket.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:27 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Will the buyer or seller see that fee on the list price when they are browsing or making the purchase? Or will it be a hidden cost that will automatically be deducted when they make the purchase?

The seller will see what the total price including the fee is, the buyer will have the fee included into their purchase price so it is not listed separately. Ultimately, how many credits the seller will receive shouldn’t be of any concern to the buyer.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

If we can’t see the sellers names, how will we report anyone suspected of gaming the CM or GTN systems? 

Removing seller names actually makes it a lot harder for bad actors to do things they like to do with our GTN. We’ve also greatly improved our systems for monitoring activity, so when someone starts doing something suspicious we’ll know.

On 10/31/2023 at 12:24 PM, LadyAdmiral said:
  • Recent range is what, a week? or more or less?
  • Historic range - is this a month? a year?

Part of why this is a little vague is because it might not be exactly the same for each item depending on volume. For items that do trade fairly often, Recent should be a week (give or take depending on if we’ve done any new patches in the period since). Historic would be all data we’ve collected up to a certain point (we began taking snapshots in 7.2.1). Some items may have no data as they haven’t been sold in the timeframe, some items may have only one or the other depending on volume. Low volume items may have skewed data because we only take snapshots when sales occur.

On 10/31/2023 at 12:24 PM, LadyAdmiral said:

For the ranges, what do the colors of the boxes on the slider mean? I've seen red and green.

Red means it is in the top 3rd of its range, blue means it's in the middle 3rd, and green means it's in the bottom 3rd. It's meant to be a visual indicator of where the price is compared to its highs and lows.

On 10/31/2023 at 3:21 PM, Balameb said:

What happens if there is no item listed currently? Let's imagine a rare limited mat as was the case when 6.X lauched. We know the item exists but is on so high demand while limited supply that was hard to spot. Other games with similar search/list do show the item and you can even see trends in value and volume.

The current implementation will only show items that have listings but when we do Buy Orders our intention is that you will be able to find items that are not listed.

On 11/1/2023 at 11:53 AM, Spikanor said:

if you have set up 5 favorites in the GTN and you drop back to preferred status what will happing to the 5 favorietes then you have set up on the GTN?

You will still have those favorites but will lose them when you unset them. It works a bit like a soft cap, you won’t lose it but you won’t be able to add any others, and if you remove the ones you have they will be gone. If you re-sub you’ll keep the ones you have and be able to change them again freely.

A Change

Something else I wanted to touch on, while items cannot sit in the claim page for eternity, we have been able to extend it. So instead of expiring after 30 days they will now expire after 60. I'll update the main post to reflect this. We’ve also added some warning states that will let you know a week ahead of time if you happen to look at the Claim Page. 

A big shout out to those that have found bugs, especially with regards to missing QoL we’ve had previously! We’re working to incorporate things like Shift+Click back in. We’ll be continuing to improve this system up to release and will have further improvements in the future! Keep the feedback coming and let me know if you have further questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10

47 minutes ago, JoeStramaglia said:

Yes, these are the type of items that currently are incompatible with the new GTN due to the way the random elements of the items work. The system currently would make those pieces become unidentified and the item the buyer would receive would not necessarily be the item you listed.

So, since you are using the word "currently", do you have any intention of addressing this issue? You are killing half the GTN's armor listings this way, unless you are trying to move people more into dealing with Cartel Market gear. If I put this gear into the outfitter, yeah, it'll list it as "Unidentified Guardsman's Chestguard" instead of "Echani Guardsman's Chestguard", but that isn't the issue here. People are not buying this old gear for the stats (usually, at least), they are buying it for the appearance, usually also because of unique color variants. The blue prototype versions of these armor pieces usually also feature a different coloring form the normal green premium quality versions.

It really cannot be your intention to make so much gear unavailable to be sold, not unless you have something in mind to keep this stuff somehow available, like making it all available for crafting.

Edited by BenKatarn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nice to see Joe reading along and responding to comments here. 👍

Meanwhile, some more observations from my own experience on the PTS:

I was somewhat disappointed to see that for all the improvements, I still need to manually go to the buy tab to check an item's current price if my main goal is to sell it. If at all possible, it would be nice if the current listings would appear on the sell tab for price comparison purposes as soon as I put an item into the sell slot. Modern World of Warcraft's auction house works like that and it saves you from having to go back and forth between the two tabs all the time to price check.

I agree with the previous comments that it's unintuitive that the price you enter on the sell tab is not what will be the actual sale price. It would be better if the default or at least an option was to set what you want the TOTAL price (including buyers' tax) to be. As it is, it's kind of hard to figure out what you need to enter to achieve a specific sale price. As a seller, I care more about setting a price that will be appealing to buyers than about specifying the EXACT amount of credits I'll receive after tax.

Finally, this may just be a PTS thing and the UX not being finalised, but I hope there are some more sound effects planned. I was actually somewhat confused at first when I cancelled a listing and made a purchase because there was no sound feedback or flashing icons or anything else I could see to indicate that the command had actually gone through.

• Like 1

• Dev Post
19 minutes ago, BenKatarn said:

So, since you are using the word "currently", do you have any intention of addressing this issue? You are killing half the GTN's armor listings this way, unless you are trying to move people more into dealing with Cartel Market gear. If I put this gear into the outfitter, yeah, it'll list it as "Unidentified Guardsman's Chestguard" instead of "Echani Guardsman's Chestguard", but that isn't the issue here. People are not buying this old gear for the stats (usually, at least), they are buying it for the appearance, usually also because of unique color variants. The blue prototype versions of these armor pieces usually also feature a different coloring form the normal green premium quality versions.

It really cannot be your intention to make so much gear unavailable to be sold, not unless you have something in mind to keep this stuff somehow available, like making it all available for crafting.

Our data shows these items do not sell on the GTN very often, however we immediately realized the problem to solve here was not about access to the gear, but about access to the appearances. They will still be tradable and available outside of the GTN the way they currently are and we want to give additional avenues to get them. Although that won't happen in 7.4, we are already looking at how we can start getting players access to those appearances in-game. Hopefully as soon as our next patch (7.4.1) but we'll let you know once we have details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

49 minutes ago, JoeStramaglia said:

Removing seller names actually makes it a lot harder for bad actors to do things they like to do with our GTN. We’ve also greatly improved our systems for monitoring activity, so when someone starts doing something suspicious we’ll know.

You can say that, but I don't see HOW removing seller names could possibly make things harder for gtn manipulators, as opposed to easier.

This combined with the 'must buy lowest priced item' is removing player choice.

When I buy I prefer skipping by multiple listings of the '1 credit below' type undercutters and buying from whoever actually started the current listing price.  (for example: an item listed for 5 million credits, and then 1 million credits, and then multiple listings of the same item for 999,999 credits, 999998 credits, 999997 credits ect.  I'll buy the 1 million credit listing.  It's ludicrous that the new GTN will force players to buy the 999,997 listing.

Also keep in mind that crafted items have 'made by' on them, which means you can currently tell if a seller is selling their own crafted item vs an item they may have bought low from the maker and relisted.  Removing the seller name takes away the player choice to buy from the actual crafter.

I'm clearing out my inventories on all my crafters right now, and have no intentions of using the GTN if it goes live as it currently is on the PTS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeStramaglia said:

You will still have those favorites but will lose them when you unset them. It works a bit like a soft cap, you won’t lose it but you won’t be able to add any others, and if you remove the ones you have they will be gone. If you re-sub you’ll keep the ones you have and be able to change them again freely.

Could you explain, why there is a limit of 5 pieces anyway? It such a nice feature I am looking forward since a long time. But I don't understand why you want to limit it. It would be so useful for comparing items from the same category that you want to choose from or if you are looking for crafting materials all the time. But all of this makes no sense if you are going to limit it to 5 pieces. Please increase this to like 100 items. I don't see any counterarguments for that and will make it so much better.

42 minutes ago, JoeStramaglia said:

They will still be tradable and available outside of the GTN the way they currently are and we want to give additional avenues to get them.

The problem with this line of thinking is that nobody would advertise these items in Trade Chat. Yeah, sure, the items will still drop and you can still get them from other players, but the accessibility of them is severely diminished. You have created this problem with your new GTN.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JoeStramaglia said:

Of course! So in a progressive system, you are only charged a specific % on the credits that fall within that range. Meaning you only pay 6% on the first million credits, even if the listing in question is 1 Billion. This means that while the marginal rate increases as the list price increases, the effective rate does not match the marginal rate outside of the first bracket. Think of “effective” as the true percent being paid on a listing at that specific price, whereas marginal is the amount charged to a specific “margin” or bracket.

Since a picture/graph is sometimes helpful, here's a example of how the new fee brackets seem to work for a hypothetical 3,000,000,000 credit item:

Rate From To Portion Taxed Fee
Bracket I 6% 1 999,999 999,999 59,999.94
Bracket II 8% 1,000,000 9,999,999 9,000,000 720,000.00
Bracket III 10% 10,000,000 99,999,999 90,000,000 9,000,000.00
Bracket IV 12% 100,000,000 499,999,999 400,000,000 48,000,000.00
Bracket V 14% 500,000,000 999,999,999 500,000,000 70,000,000.00
Bracket VI 16% 1,000,000,000 3,000,000,000 2,000,000,001 320,000,000.16

Fee Total: 14.926%     3,000,000,000 447,780,000.10

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

You know, it might have been helpful if you had told us HOW ... 

Offhand, it's probably that Credit Sellers can't use the GTN to deliver their product:  As I understand it, a Credit Sale is often competed by the 'purchaser' putting a 'trash item' on the GTN for the amount of credits purchased (possibly adjusted for the GTN fee) and the 'seller' just purchases the item so the game transfers the credits for them. 

Without the ability to tell whose item you are purchasing, Credit Sellers will need a more direct means of delivering their product...

Edited by Ominovin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

You can say that, but I don't see HOW removing seller names could possibly make things harder for gtn manipulators, as opposed to easier.

This combined with the 'must buy lowest priced item' is removing player choice.

When I buy I prefer skipping by multiple listings of the '1 credit below' type undercutters and buying from whoever actually started the current listing price.  (for example: an item listed for 5 million credits, and then 1 million credits, and then multiple listings of the same item for 999,999 credits, 999998 credits, 999997 credits ect.  I'll buy the 1 million credit listing.  It's ludicrous that the new GTN will force players to buy the 999,997 listing.

Also keep in mind that crafted items have 'made by' on them, which means you can currently tell if a seller is selling their own crafted item vs an item they may have bought low from the maker and relisted.  Removing the seller name takes away the player choice to buy from the actual crafter.

I'm clearing out my inventories on all my crafters right now, and have no intentions of using the GTN if it goes live as it currently is on the PTS.

• sellers can get into an undercutting contest for personal gripes against specific sellers and destroy a markets value. I have seen sellers do this and drop a markets price below 30% in less than a day. Great for buyers who will swoop in to buy everything, bad for every other seller trying to sell anything in that market.
  • players who manipulate the above type sellers because they recognize the seller by name and that sellers habitual need to be the lowest priced seller on the board.
  • tactic of credit buyers is to mark an item for 3 billion credits and have credit sellers buy that item to make it appear to be a more legitimate auction. Two things eliminate this for 7.4, no names and the inability to buy all but the lowest price listed. Still very possible if you find an item with no postings but no names makes it a bit harder.
  • players who stalk others for and harass them when they see their auctions
  • collusion and price fixing certain markets

Am I going to miss seeing certain players names? Yes, because I recognize a lot of rare collectors names when looking through the GTN. I also tend to see a fellow trader and because I'm not desperate for credits, if I like the person I'll not even bother posting a lower price, I'll post the same price they do or higher to let them sell first.

I am also going to miss seeing a certain item I want slightly higher than I want to pay, then mailing the player to work out a lower price or trade item for item.

But I can see why player names are no longer going to be listed.

Edited by Darkestmonty
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BenKatarn said:

I have started buying of the bracers that look like silver spiral bracelet along with other lving gear that i like using in outfits. stocking up for alts and future chars

As a Founder player who has played since Day 1 and subbed without a break, the GTN kept me entertained for many of these years.

This new GTN system is an overcomplicated mess and would deter me from bothering with the GTN and potentially the game itself from here onwards.

The fee system looks more to do with deflating the economy than serving as a useful function towards trading.

Yet again the devs are giving players something nobody has asked for.  A can't say any more as it'll only be swear words etc that will earn me a ban.  Lets just say I'm not a happy camper.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, JoeStramaglia said:

Our data shows these items do not sell on the GTN very often, however we immediately realized the problem to solve here was not about access to the gear, but about access to the appearances. They will still be tradable and available outside of the GTN the way they currently are and we want to give additional avenues to get them. Although that won't happen in 7.4, we are already looking at how we can start getting players access to those appearances in-game. Hopefully as soon as our next patch (7.4.1) but we'll let you know once we have details.

Please add some vendors to each planet with these world drops. Add three vendors, one each for green, blue, and purple. You can set the prices high like 1 million credits each for green, 2 million credits each for blue, and 5 million credits each for purple.

3 minutes ago, ThanderSnB said:

Please add some vendors to each planet with these world drops. Add three vendors, one each for green, blue, and purple. You can set the prices high like 1 million credits each for green, 2 million credits each for blue, and 5 million credits each for purple.

i would say dont set prices that high. i know a lot of free and preff players use these as alt to cartel sets . pricing above 1mill cuts them all out

Edited by TalLura
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeStramaglia said:

A Change

Something else I wanted to touch on, while items cannot sit in the claim page for eternity, we have been able to extend it. So instead of expiring after 30 days they will now expire after 60.

depending on how Buy Orders work, time limits to pick up items that are purchased or expired can become an issue down the road if a player stops playing for a while.

If buy orders have an unlimited amount of time (like they do in some games) players place an order for an item, the credits for the price they want to pay are taken from the player, then the player waits for the order to be filled. Once the order is filled they can "claim" their order from the GTN and pick up their item.

The issue comes up if someone puts in a buy order on a character, forgets about that buy order because it wasn't filled and quits for a few months. If that order was filled while they stopped playing they will miss any notices about the item and it will self delete.

Even if Buy Orders can only be posted for a certain time span, the issue of a player forgetting about it and quitting before it is filled can still happen.

Buy Orders will drastically change how people interact with the GTN and time limits deleting purchased items will eventually backfire.

Is it possible to put any "expired" items from the GTN into "Item Recovery" if they time out for deletion?

Edited by Darkestmonty

5 hours ago, JoeStramaglia said:

Hello folks! Thank you so much for all the feedback, especially from those of you that have hopped on PTS and given it a fair shake! I wanted to take a moment to answer some of your questions.

It's important to note that these are medians, meaning if the price has historically been higher and is now trending downwards there will be a bit of lag between the median price and the currently listed price (also listed prices don’t affect the median only successful sales). However you will see more information in the new Market Data section detailing both the median, as well as highs and lows (of successful sales) to give you a better idea, you will also see what folks are currently listing at.

Not currently planned, due to the way trade works with both parties being taxed the effective rate is 16% which is still slightly higher than the maximum effective tax rate on the GTN. The goal is to drive transactions between players through the GTN to ensure players get the best prices and to mitigate fraud.

The seller will see what the total price including the fee is, the buyer will have the fee included into their purchase price so it is not listed separately. Ultimately, how many credits the seller will receive shouldn’t be of any concern to the buyer.

Part of why this is a little vague is because it might not be exactly the same for each item depending on volume. For items that do trade fairly often, Recent should be a week (give or take depending on if we’ve done any new patches in the period since). Historic would be all data we’ve collected up to a certain point (we began taking snapshots in 7.2.1). Some items may have no data as they haven’t been sold in the timeframe, some items may have only one or the other depending on volume. Low volume items may have skewed data because we only take snapshots when sales occur.

Red means it is in the top 3rd of its range, blue means it's in the middle 3rd, and green means it's in the bottom 3rd. It's meant to be a visual indicator of where the price is compared to its highs and lows.

The current implementation will only show items that have listings but when we do Buy Orders our intention is that you will be able to find items that are not listed.

A Change

Something else I wanted to touch on, while items cannot sit in the claim page for eternity, we have been able to extend it. So instead of expiring after 30 days they will now expire after 60. I'll update the main post to reflect this. We’ve also added some warning states that will let you know a week ahead of time if you happen to look at the Claim Page. 

A big shout out to those that have found bugs, especially with regards to missing QoL we’ve had previously! We’re working to incorporate things like Shift+Click back in. We’ll be continuing to improve this system up to release and will have further improvements in the future! Keep the feedback coming and let me know if you have further questions.

I've read the original list of changes and this reply... and I just... this all feels overall like a bad system. Rolling out something that makes some items incompatible with the system? These insane taxes are getting out of hand. You don't need a graduated system. Just leave that part alone (while you are at it, can you fix trading consumables again?).

I disagree with forcing buying low. Don't show who the lister is, fine, but let me buy the one I want to buy.

Trying to force people to the GTN is also bad. Having a thriving trade economy is good.... but with everything you've pretty much ruined that. Tax one side of the trade, not both (OR cut the rate on both sides).

It is still really lame that you've killed giving away items... that was a huge part of our community that we've just had to scale back because we have to both get items AND pay the trade taxes.

Don't get me wrong, there has been some good QOL changes... but the rest of this just feels like punishment to everyone who actually plays and enjoys the trading aspects of the game.

Why are so many random vendor items that were given out in groups while having fun and being silly are now bind to legacy or bind on pickup? The tax on sparkle powder is just insane.

I understand y'all want to help... but this just feels like people hate fun to me.

• Like 3

@JoeStramaglia I’m not sure if youre also following a similar thread to this one in the general section. But we have been discussing and debating the non-refundable listing fee for sellers.

https://forums.swtor.com/topic/931789-coming-74-gtn-changes-on-the-pts/?do=findComment&comment=9783798

Most of us (not all) agree that having this non-refundable fee for items that don’t sell & time out is a huge mistake.

It will encourage people to stop selling or severely reduce the number of listings they put on the GTN. Which will create a situation on the GTN of demand outstripping supply. And when that happens you’ll create upwards inflation & prices will rise again. 

And while we agree that people canceling listings & relisting items to undercut other players is disruptive to the market. We also have a more elegant solution than your non-refundable fees on items, that won’t reduce competition & won’t hurt the market & will still have a deterrent to the behaviour you are trying to curb. 

Currently on the live system, the deposits that the seller pays to list an item are not refunded if they cancel a listing. The problem is those deposit fees aren’t currently high enough on live to deter that behaviour. So why not just apply your proposed fee amounts to the current deposit system? That way if someone cancels the listing, they aren’t refunded. But if an item fails to sell, the deposit amount is still refunded like it is now. 

This way players (especially crafters) won’t stop listing things on the GTN & you won’t accidentally trigger more inflation with your current non-refundable idea of no refunds of fees on items that don’t sell. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 10