WHY IN THE GALAXY Do You Now Have To Pay For Quick Travel?!!

GalaxyWeasel

I agree with you, we already paid in our legacy to unlock quick travel as a convenience this makes no sense and is dumb on EA/Biowares part. I hope they see the community reaction to this and reverse it. If you wanted to fix the broken economy then reset everyone's credits to 0 and shut down GTN for 24 hours, sucks but fair.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

It just awful, making bad changes simply because they refuse to do anything about broken economy for years, and the fact that we don't have a lot to spend credits on. Even after we gave a lot of feedback and better suggestions. 

Edited by commanderwar
  • Like 6

The 120 credits that I have to spend to get from my stronghold to the fleet is going to save the economy. 

The funny thing is before the patch, I never used to loot blue things. Now I do all the time. It's going to inject more money into the economy. Lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

it is a credit sink. We already have these when we travel between planets or use speeders (speeders are much cheaper though).

Most MMOs use credit sinks liberally to fight inflation. Credit sinks alone do not fix inflation issues, but they help lower the rate at which inflation increases in the games economy.

Every MMO I have played has tiny credit sinks like this for traveling. I was shocked to find I could travel around instantly for free in this game. I guess having almost no credit sinks in the game is why inflation is so high and simple cosmetics from the GTN cost hundreds of millions if not billions of credits.

Do you want credit sinks that have very little individual impact but reduce inflation by billions a day or do you want inflation to keep increasing until credits are completely worthless?

Edited by remylion
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gimpeline said:

I doubt they read any of the feedback. If they did, they would have done it diffrent

Eh, I assume they read at least some feedback that was passed on, they simply ignored it. Although i've often wondered how many of the devs read the forums--or reddit, or twitter, or other platforms--directly, and how much of it is a summary digest prepared by the community manager who can pick and choose what they want to highlight or minimize. Either way, they're looking for very specific feedback, and it's not "should we do this or do x player suggestion", that has never been the way for any change they've made.  

1 hour ago, remylion said:

it is a credit sink. We already have these when we travel between planets or use speeders (speeders are much cheaper though).

It's not really that it exists as a credit sink but that it is way out of whack with other travel costs and targets a very specific group of players (players that have nothing to do with the "inflation" to start with), the ones who are playing or repeating the story content on new characters as opposed to those farming the repeatable content with max level characters.

• Like 2

The amounts involved are tiny.  You can use a speeder and not incur a cost.  You will loot more credits in fights than you will spend on travel.  At launch you had to pay to level up abilities and other such things - players have been crying out to deflate the economy and now when they take baby steps in that direction everyone gets mad.

if the devs introduced really nice toys or armor sets as credit sinks, some would chose not to buy them or those that couldn't afford them would moan about the fact.

Hard to win.

• Like 1

I absolutely hate this change and I don't use the word "hate" lightly. I already paid for all of the Legacy unlocks including the Quick Travel one. I paid for every stronghold, except the newest one (and fully decorated more than half of those). And now I'm being nickel-and-dimed for using the things I already paid millions for (or in a case of decorated strongholds, it's billions) and in some cases Cartel Coins. I didn't like this change when they first announced it, but now what it's here it really bothers me every time I need to use QT or exit a stronghold (I didn't expect it to bother me this much, but it does).

Edited by VegaMist
  • Like 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb remylion:

Most MMOs use credit sinks liberally to fight inflation. Credit sinks alone do not fix inflation issues, but they help lower the rate at which inflation increases in the games economy.

This right here. The change is not about having one measure that fixes everything. It's about having a measure that contributes in stopping the drain. Or in this case increasing it a little bit.

It's like saying a tax increase of 1% on tobacco isn't rescuing the governments finances. It isn't. But it helps. Now, if you're arguing that it's targeting the wrong people: You can already see rich people crying havoc and threating to quit the game over any measure that would reduce their wealth. And compared to newer players suffering from a few thousand credits quicktravel cost (use the speeders if you can't pay for QT), those players are being subscribers for the past ten years. You're not gonna mess with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exocor said:

This right here. The change is not about having one measure that fixes everything. It's about having a measure that contributes in stopping the drain. Or in this case increasing it a little bit.

It's like saying a tax increase of 1% on tobacco isn't rescuing the governments finances. It isn't. But it helps. Now, if you're arguing that it's targeting the wrong people: You can already see rich people crying havoc and threating to quit the game over any measure that would reduce their wealth. And compared to newer players suffering from a few thousand credits quicktravel cost (use the speeders if you can't pay for QT), those players are being subscribers for the past ten years. You're not gonna mess with them.

More like taxing coffee for 200% tax and say it will fix the inflation.

You think those fat cats flipping the stock market would care if their coffee cost $5 or $50? lmao

And instead of fixing laws that allow those .1% billionaires to possess the majority of the country's wealth, you gonna tell yourself that coffee tax is going to "help" the government? The only thing you'll achieve is to make low-middle class people's life more miserable while the billionaires flip millions by making some twitter posts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, remylion said:

Why would you want to remove another possible credit sink from the game?

Because they're making us pay double for a convenience.  Quality of life advantages do not contribute to the quality of life when players are bled for using them.  It only hurts newer players...and while I have a lot of credits, it's annoying as crap.  I cannot stand being nickeled and dimed for everything in life, or in a game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sappharan said:

Because they're making us pay double for a convenience.  Quality of life advantages do not contribute to the quality of life when players are bled for using them.  It only hurts newer players...and while I have a lot of credits, it's annoying as crap.  I cannot stand being nickeled and dimed for everything in life, or in a game.

so the current state of SWTOR's credit economy is hyper-inflation due to there not being enough credit sinks in the game for years... and your fix for this is to remove more credit sinks to save the "new players" and that you can not stand being nickeled and dimed?

Edited by remylion
  • Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb eabevella:

More like taxing coffee for 200% tax and say it will fix the inflation.

You think those fat cats flipping the stock market would care if their coffee cost $5 or $50? lmao

And instead of fixing laws that allow those .1% billionaires to possess the majority of the country's wealth, you gonna tell yourself that coffee tax is going to "help" the government? The only thing you'll achieve is to make low-middle class people's life more miserable while the billionaires flip millions by making some twitter posts.

A 200% tax on coffee would not increase it's cost by a factor of 10. The tax on coffee in my country is €2,19 per kilogram. A 200% increase would be to €6,57 per kilogram. If we assume 25g of coffee for one cup, the increase comes down to €0,11 - 11 cents more for one cup of coffee. That's a minor inconvenience and less than the amount of inflation we had, both, in the game and in the real world over the past two years.

if you want to make an argument, at least get your math right.

Also, please reread my comment. This measure is not one to single-handedly fix inflation. It's part of a bigger picture. The Devs even said that it is the first set of changes. It's not designed to fix inflation, it's part of a bigger plan to reduce the rate inflation is increasing by - by draining some credits out of the game without people noticing it. Yes, without people noticing. The cost for quick travels is between a few hundred credits and 5.000 credits. Do 40 minutes of content, buy one OEM or RPM for 4000 Tech Fragments, sell it for 100m in the GTN and you can afford 20.000 Quicktravels at maximum cost. That's the equivalent of increasing the tax on coffee by 1 cent for each cup. If you work a real job and are not living on the street, you won't notice it in your monthly balance. In order to afford the increased price for 20.000 cups of coffee, you have to work for two days for minimum wage. In order to pay for the increased price of 1 cent per cup of coffee, with a presumed three cups you drink every day, you will have to work for 15 seconds for minimum wage.

Do you want to know what is affecting the credit economy that is not Quicktravel? The changed Repair cost formula. I've paid 500000 credits for one night of raiding yesterday. And do you know why I don't care? Because I can sell what I got in fragments from that day and will be able to afford an entire year of raiding just with one sale.

Edited by Exocor

10 minutes ago, Exocor said:

Because I can sell what I got in fragments from that day and will be able to afford an entire year of raiding just with one sale.

You just hit the nail on the head here. The Quick travel costs are so insignificant on the scale of excess credits in the game that it won't make any difference at all in the economy but makes leveling your character or playing through the story on a new character more tedious (which doesn't generate many Tech Fragments or even that many credits compared to the excess already in the game).

A faster drain on credits is what is needed (like making sure every player to player trade is taxed appropriately) or we will be in the same place three years from now wondering why the QT costs didn't fix the economy. Also, anyone who has been around knows that Bioware has a terrible track record when it comes to following up on things the "have planned". It could be years before they try anything else. This approach is sort of like trying to carve a statue out of a block of granite starting with your tiniest chisel and then wondering why it is taking so long to get anything done. The QT tax doesn't even remove any credits from the game only slightly slows the increase.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DWho said:

The Quick travel costs are so insignificant on the scale of excess credits in the game...

They are, but the cost is significant enough that it is garnering attention.  If BW had instead made the costs lower, so that it was a trifling insignificance, then people would be more apt to ignore it (to click off the pop-up), they would more apt to just quick travel without regard to the cost, and more credits would end up coming out of the game.  As it is, because there is so much focus on the cost, and how disproportionate it is to taking a taxi, the tax is not going to be as effective as it could be.  And just as I predicted in February, people on Reddit (where F2P and preferred can voice their opinion since BW is so snobbish with their forums) are stating that they will just take a taxi rather then pay the far higher QT costs.

The smarter option would have been to cut credit awards across all missions.  Smaller reductions at low level, up to 10% at high level.  That would have made a significant impact on the amount of credits entering the game and likely would have hardly even been noticed.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, peterschlossersw said:

If we must pay to use QT, maybe don't charge us to unlock it.

isn't QT a free ability given by default to every character at creation?

Unless you're talking about the legacy perks to lower the cooldown of your ability, you didn't pay to use QT, you paid to use QT more often.

38 minutes ago, ceryxp said:

And just as I predicted in February, people on Reddit (where F2P and preferred can voice their opinion since BW is so snobbish with their forums) are stating that they will just take a taxi rather then pay the far higher QT costs.

I predict that people will be upset about this for the next few weeks, realize that the cost doesn't eat into their early level experience nearly as badly at people say it does and then move on and use their QT just as much as they used to because they'll soon have more than enough credits to cover their daily QT use.

Edited by BladedDingo

Also, anyone who has been around knows that Bioware has a terrible track record when it comes to following up on things the "have planned". It could be years before they try anything else.

This is true. I've seen a number of people defending the new costs by saying they are only the first step in a much larger plan to bring the economy under control. But what makes anyone so sure that there IS going to be anything else, or that it's going to happen any time soon? I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented the second step two or three years from now, and it turned out to be just another cost to existing abilities like this one.

4 hours ago, Exocor said:

A 200% tax on coffee would not increase it's cost by a factor of 10. The tax on coffee in my country is €2,19 per kilogram. A 200% increase would be to €6,57 per kilogram. If we assume 25g of coffee for one cup, the increase comes down to €0,11 - 11 cents more for one cup of coffee. That's a minor inconvenience and less than the amount of inflation we had, both, in the game and in the real world over the past two years.

if you want to make an argument, at least get your math right.

Also, please reread my comment. This measure is not one to single-handedly fix inflation. It's part of a bigger picture. The Devs even said that it is the first set of changes. It's not designed to fix inflation, it's part of a bigger plan to reduce the rate inflation is increasing by - by draining some credits out of the game without people noticing it. Yes, without people noticing. The cost for quick travels is between a few hundred credits and 5.000 credits. Do 40 minutes of content, buy one OEM or RPM for 4000 Tech Fragments, sell it for 100m in the GTN and you can afford 20.000 Quicktravels at maximum cost. That's the equivalent of increasing the tax on coffee by 1 cent for each cup. If you work a real job and are not living on the street, you won't notice it in your monthly balance. In order to afford the increased price for 20.000 cups of coffee, you have to work for two days for minimum wage. In order to pay for the increased price of 1 cent per cup of coffee, with a presumed three cups you drink every day, you will have to work for 15 seconds for minimum wage.

Do you want to know what is affecting the credit economy that is not Quicktravel? The changed Repair cost formula. I've paid 500000 credits for one night of raiding yesterday. And do you know why I don't care? Because I can sell what I got in fragments from that day and will be able to afford an entire year of raiding just with one sale.

Oh yeah, you are so smart by focusing on the coffee tea water tax math in order to distract people from the fact that this QT fees won't fix/help anything.

Good job!

Sure, I'm SO STUPID I can't even get the coffee tea water tax math right. WHAT IS MATH?!

Unlike you. You are SO SMART, you don't care about 500K credits spent a night, but somehow thinks max 5k QT fees is part of a great plan to fix the inflation, the great first step even!

You and BW should totally apply for the Nobel Prize for Economy! *slow clap*

• Sad 1