WHY IN THE GALAXY Do You Now Have To Pay For Quick Travel?!!

GalaxyWeasel

What sad in the past that they didn't always listen to feedback like now, but there would be moments where they would. Like the 6.0 gearing, when everyone complained they came up with solutions on the PTS, added vendors, and many were happy when 6.0 launch. When galactic command came out it was disliked, but few months later 5.1 came out and started to listen to feedback, and make big steps fixing galactic command. 7.0 gearing been out for a year and made really no changes or improvements to it or a lot of things. However they did cut the 4,000 Cartel Coins, cutting them in half to 2,000 and raise the collection prices. Because according to them they somehow came to the conclusion that so many CC were responsible for inflation, even though it impossible for that to be the case, if anything it would of brought gtn prices down.

Now they added QT charges that only hurt new players and makes the game worse, and ignored all feedback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, commanderwar said:

What sad in the past that they didn't always listen to feedback like now, but there would be moments where they would. Like the 6.0 gearing, when everyone complained they came up with solutions on the PTS, added vendors, and many were happy when 6.0 launch. When galactic command came out it was disliked, but few months later 5.1 came out and started to listen to feedback, and make big steps fixing galactic command. 7.0 gearing been out for a year and made really no changes or improvements to it or a lot of things. However they did cut the 4,000 Cartel Coins, cutting them in half to 2,000 and raise the collection prices. Because according to them they somehow came to the conclusion that so many CC were responsible for inflation, even though it impossible for that to be the case, if anything it would of brought gtn prices down.

Now they added QT charges that only hurt new players and makes the game worse, and ignored all feedback.

The quick travel prices could be capped at the starter and capital worlds or at least take legacy levels into account.

New players have a cooldown of 6 minutes and they can not reduce that timer until they level up and unlock their legacy. They will also be too busy enjoying SWTOR for the first time, not speed runnig every world like veteran players do. 

The most expensive distance to travel on Hutta is the space port to the Evoccii Workcamp costing 734 credits. Most were around 350-400 credits. I think that may still be a bit too expensive for new players the first time playing. I would suggest capping new legacies to 100 credits on the starter worlds and capital worlds only.

This kind of credit sink will remove billions from the economy each day. There should be dozens of these small credit sinks but it seems Bioware has done nothing but remove them over the last few years.

As a new player I am not worried about other new players not being able to afford quick travel in this economy. In less than a month I have over 5 billion credits. I should not have that kind of money in less than a month as a new player no matter how good I am at playing the auction houses. And no, I did not buy cash shop items to resell for credits. I bought and sold items and crafting materials already on the auction house.

Edited by remylion

bruh, just kill a few mobs and you will loot enough credits to Quick Travel for a week.

Or sell ANY item on GTN in this economy and you'll have Quick Travel credits for the rest of your life!

And, you know, travelling costs fuel and stuff, it's an RPG after all...

19 minutes ago, vanonipro said:

bruh, just kill a few mobs and you will loot enough credits to Quick Travel for a week.

Or sell ANY item on GTN in this economy and you'll have Quick Travel credits for the rest of your life!

And, you know, travelling costs fuel and stuff, it's an RPG after all...

I sold a bunch of artifact rank 1-5 crafting mats I got from my companions. Some of those sold for 300k or more each. This is why I'm not crying for the "new players" who are too busy enjoying the game instead of speed-running every planet only doing MSQ missions like veteran players.

New players can't even reduce the quick travel time until they start their legacy so they are stuck with a 6 minute timer until then and it will cost them 600k once they gain access.

Edited by remylion

Having to pay 5,000 credits just to quick travel to the senate tower on Coruscant is completely absurd. Instead of making people pay for quick travel, they could have done something else that actually goes after the richer players, like increasing the tax on Galactic Trade Network- especially for things selling for ridiculously high prices.

And arguing that paying for quick travel is no different from travelling to other planets is wrong- you are NOT going to be hopping planets multiple times throughout the most missions, especially ones in the original class-stories. And if I have to pay 5,000+ credits to move from one planet to another, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY THAT SAME AMOUNT JUST TO MOVE ACROSS THE SURFACE OF A PLANET. If they're going to be charging money on quick travel, it should be at an equivalent rate compared with travelling across planets. And it should be lower on early planets like Coruscant and Dromund Kaas, which new players are more likely to be on and therefore need to allow for the fact that they don't have much money on them.

All of this is a real pity, because I really like the new changes to the lighting that they've done. It's just the quick travel payments that are the problem.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GalaxyWeasel said:

Having to pay 5,000 credits just to quick travel to the senate tower on Coruscant is completely absurd. Instead of making people pay for quick travel, they could have done something else that actually goes after the richer players, like increasing the tax on Galactic Trade Network- especially for things selling for ridiculously high prices.

And arguing that paying for quick travel is no different from travelling to other planets is wrong- you are NOT going to be hopping planets multiple times throughout the most missions, especially ones in the original class-stories. And if I have to pay 5,000+ credits to move from one planet to another, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY THAT SAME AMOUNT JUST TO MOVE ACROSS THE SURFACE OF A PLANET. If they're going to be charging money on quick travel, it should be at an equivalent rate compared with travelling across planets. And it should be lower on early planets like Coruscant and Dromund Kaas, which new players are more likely to be on and therefore need to allow for the fact that they don't have much money on them.

All of this is a real pity, because I really like the new changes to the lighting that they've done. It's just the quick travel payments that are the problem.

the devs should have increased the GTN limit before items commonly hit the 1 billion credit limit. If they had increased the GTN limit to keep up with inflation every sale could have been taxed. Instead we have billions of credits being traded hourly that are not taxed because inflation has made the GTN obsolete for selling anything over 1 billion credits.

Edited by remylion

14 minutes ago, remylion said:

LARGE MASSIVE CREDIT SINKS that only the top 1% will use will remove less credits over time than a mico-credit sink that everyone uses multiple times a play session.

Completely false. A 1% increase in the GTN tax alone would drain more credits in one transaction than thousands of quick travels. 1% of 1 billion is 10 million (how many quick travels is that?). Now start taxing the stuff off the GTN (a very simple addition to the transaction) and boom, hundreds of millions drawn out each day.

3 minutes ago, DWho said:

Completely false. A 1% increase in the GTN tax alone would drain more credits in one transaction than thousands of quick travels. 1% of 1 billion is 10 million (how many quick travels is that?). Now start taxing the stuff off the GTN (a very simple addition to the transaction) and boom, hundreds of millions drawn out each day.

I totally misread the person's post as asking for a single large credit sink. The GTN tax could work but won't as long as the GTN limit is 1 billion credits and inflation has made even gold sets and weapons over 1 billion credits.

Basically a higher tax on the GTN, with the GTN limit of 1 billion, would only tax items worth less than 1 billion credits.

GTN limit needs to be raised so more items can be taxed or Bioware could add a tax to any credit transfers between accounts, trade, mail, etc.

Edited by remylion

2 hours ago, remylion said:

I totally misread the person's post as asking for a single large credit sink. The GTN tax could work but won't as long as the GTN limit is 1 billion credits and inflation has made even gold sets and weapons over 1 billion credits.

Basically a higher tax on the GTN, with the GTN limit of 1 billion, would only tax items worth less than 1 billion credits.

GTN limit needs to be raised so more items can be taxed or Bioware could add a tax to any credit transfers between accounts, trade, mail, etc.

They could put some of those things(like white/white dyes) on a vendor for credits. allow credits to pay for collections unlocks. This whould have a massively bigger effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivanhedgehog said:

They could put some of those things(like white/white dyes) on a vendor for credits. allow credits to pay for collections unlocks. This whould have a massively bigger effect.

it would also directly complete if not completely replace the sale of similar dyes on the Cartel Market. Very rarely do companies allow in game currency to directly compete with cash shop currency.

6 hours ago, remylion said:

it would also directly complete if not completely replace the sale of similar dyes on the Cartel Market. Very rarely do companies allow in game currency to directly compete with cash shop currency.

And therein lies the rub.

There are very effective ways to syphon credits from the economy from where it matters - from people that have accumulated them.

But it will inevitably eat into the company bottom line, because any items going to a credit bidding house will be items that would have otherwise gone to the CM.

Won't take long to see just how serious they are about addressing the economy.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:51 AM, bncsmom said:

Exactly. 

And some of us paid with REAL MONEY to use QT through using Cartel Coins we purchased to open it up. So, what the actual heck, Bioware??? Why did you do this when you KNEW we paid with REAL MONEY to have this feature??? 

I couldn't agree more! I purchased Cartel Cartel in order to open up my instant Quick Travel perk. I thought it was a good buy considering how much it increased my enjoyment of the game. Boy, do I have egg on my face now!

I'm not a wealthy person in RL or in the game. I'm a casual player with a couple of level 80 characters who's still using any extra credits that come my way to open up stronghold rooms, level up my crafting and the like. I would like to level up other classes in the future as well.

Because of the recent change, I'm avoiding QT because the fees do make a dent. It has decreased my enjoyment of the game. I hate that this is the first thing that the developers implemented in their 'fight inflation' plan.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, peterschlossersw said:

and if these and perhaps other tax fees could be pulled directly from my legacy bank, in case I git low on funds in the field, I'm not sure I would mind one bit they are assessed.

I have gotten into the habit of carrying 1 billion in my inventory. This is in case I see something nice on the GTN I don't have to close it, withdraw credits, run back, and hopes it is still there.

It would be nice if there was just "credits" on your account and not two separate credit storage systems.

Edited by remylion
  • Like 1

Can't say I'm a fan of the QT costs, but I get why they're necessary.  What I wish would happen is that QT to the *closest* point could be free, but to skip around elsewhere costs credits.  Or alternatively QT to one point on each planet is free (the "hearth point" of the planet if you will) and the others cost. 

That said, how about getting rid of special in-game currency (like tech shards, or marks of conquest) and just use credits?  Wouldn't that be a major credit sink in much the same way as I can spend 1 million credits to get HK-51 on any character since unlocking him?

More info is available at https://forums.swtor.com/topic/927608-credit-economy-initiative-beginning-with-721/

Quick Travel now has a credit cost associated, with a minimum cost of 100 credits and a maximum cost of 5000. The cost to travel is dependent on the distance traveled.
Priority Transport Terminal now costs the original planet travel costs to transfer between daily areas.
Travel to Strongholds now costs the original planet travel costs to transfer between planets.
Repair cost formulas have been adjusted across the entirety of the game so that repair costs increase in relation to item level.
Durability of equipment should now be lost at a LOWER rate on death, but a slightly HIGHER rate in normal gameplay. 

I'd actually rather see them reduce mission payouts by 10% across the board than see this nickel and dime crap with quick travel and everything else they've introduced.

Reduce mission payouts by 10%

Increse crew skill mission costs by 10%

leave it alone for awhile, see what it does.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Darev said:

I'd actually rather see them reduce mission payouts by 10% across the board than see this nickel and dime crap with quick travel and everything else they've introduced.

Reduce mission payouts by 10%

Increse crew skill mission costs by 10%

leave it alone for awhile, see what it does.

I just thought of this, why not reduce the cost of PvP stims and only sell them through the vendor. No more stims in reward crates, just vendors as a credit sink. I end up with a surplus of both heal and damage reduction stims every match with the current system. PvP has no real credit sink, this could be one of them.

Edited by remylion

On 3/29/2023 at 12:10 PM, remylion said:

it is a credit sink. We already have these when we travel between planets or use speeders (speeders are much cheaper though).

Most MMOs use credit sinks liberally to fight inflation. Credit sinks alone do not fix inflation issues, but they help lower the rate at which inflation increases in the games economy.

Every MMO I have played has tiny credit sinks like this for traveling. I was shocked to find I could travel around instantly for free in this game. I guess having almost no credit sinks in the game is why inflation is so high and simple cosmetics from the GTN cost hundreds of millions if not billions of credits.

Do you want credit sinks that have very little individual impact but reduce inflation by billions a day or do you want inflation to keep increasing until credits are completely worthless?

Except it's not a credit sink at those prices. Tons of players have billions of credits. This quick travel cost doesn't make a fraction of a dent in those players' wallets. All it does it make the poor and/or new players poorer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XxHazenxX said:

Except it's not a credit sink at those prices. Tons of players have billions of credits. This quick travel cost doesn't make a fraction of a dent in those players' wallets. All it does it make the poor and/or new players poorer.

let me cut and paste another response for you. 

On 4/3/2023 at 5:00 PM, remylion said:

oh, I get it, you think the devs designed and created the quick travel fee to single-handedly fix inflation.

No single credit sink can fix years of neglect. The devs should also not spend valuable resources and time developing high cost credit sinks before they gather data to come up with a design that will work. I have seen developers create features that no one is interested in because people on the forums say they wanted that feature.

It's cool, a lot of people on this forum assumed the quick travel fee was designed and implemented to fix the economy without any further credit sinks being planned. But the devs have stated that the quick travel fee was not meant to fix the economy and more credit sinks will be developed in the future. You can check out their blog post if you want more information.

if the devs keep to their plans, this is one of many future credit sinks to be implemented. It's no different than the credit sink to travel to different planets. You are right, that the quick travel credit sink won't fix anything on it's own, but you are wrong that this isn't a credit sink.

The quick travel fee was probably one of the safest to design credit sinks considering it piggy backs off an already existing feature with 11 years of metrics versus a brand new untested feature with no metrics to back up its design.

Though I think they are missing the most obvious one with the GTN limit still being 1 billion credits when I can't find any good platinum items on it because they are easily worth more than 1 billion credits.

Edited by remylion

No, the devs designed it so that it would look as if they were doing something. Inflation will continue to build out of control for months while they read their metrics on this ridiculous approach and hum and haw and decide what the next nickle and dime approach they should take, while ignoring the great suggestions in the forum.

Your entire rationale is "they said they're going to do new stuff soon™, but suppose they don't do anything new to fix the problem anytime soon. Suppose they're just content to leave it like this. What then? Oh well then you would of course be singing the praises of a company without any evidence whatsoever that they're going to do what you claim they're going to do. "But they said!" lmao why do you think so many veterans who have been playing this game for a decade are so cynical about Bioware promises? We have good reason to be skeptical. Stop and think instead of just endlessly defending.

They need credit sinks that people want. And the people why people say "let us buy stuff from the CM with credits" isn't because they want free stuff. Good credit sinks should be stuff that Bioware creates themselves, not just taking existing assets. Unfortunately, they can't do that for the same reason that for the same reason none of the GS reputations have corresponding vendors, unlike all previous reputation tracks in the game: because Bioware has no money to make any new assets that people might wanna buy. 

Others have said that Bioware should scrap all the currencies and let us buy it all with credits, but if they do that it will be a sign that 7.0 was a mistake. And they really don't like to admit mistakes especially so soon, especially when a new guy just took over the creative director helm and is the reason for this problem in the first place (and was around for similar gearing nightmares and should have known better). So they won't do that either. Of course the currency buildup has been going on for a long time, it's not all his fault, but the op-1, fp-1 etc etc definitely is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whykara said:

This issue is being blown ridiculously out of proportion, just deactivate the pop up message and continue playing the game exactly the same as you did before lmao

this is what I did. I do feel travel fees could used balanced on some planets like Tarsis and starter worlds could be limited to 100 credits for new legacies; veteran legacies should be able to afford to quick travel.

I started a month ago and have over 5 billion credits. I'm not going to hide behind the "what about the new players, will anyone think of the new players!!" I'm still a new player and have over 5 billion credits. There is something seriously broken with this economy when a player can have that many credits without buying anything from the cash shop.

Edited by remylion

If you are a new player with 5 billion credits, you must have not purchased any of the existing credit sinks. Crafting. Outfits. Companion gifts.  Because I've been playing for 10 years and don't have 5 billion credits.  I play across multiple servers, my most "experienced" characters are on Star Forge, and my wealthiest characters are on Darth Malgus. And even there I just have around a billion credits spread out across 15 characters. 

• Like 1