Changes coming to PvP in 7.2.1 / Season 2

JackieKo

3 hours ago, krackcommando said:

I disagree. I don't personally care if ppl leave an FP.

but there are fundamental differences between the two systems. you have total control over the queue for FPs (you pick the maps you want, the level of competition, etc.). the NPCs don't have the ability to subvert the game by (e.g.) changing the rules or ignoring the objectives. you have control over who your teammates are, and you know exactly who your "enemy" is (the NPCs). AND you can ignore players to keep them from ever randomly joining your team if you choose to solo queue.

it's just fundamentally different in a way that makes rationalizations for leaving significantly less meaningful.

anyway, I've said all I care to on the pvp deserter debuff. we're just spiraling out of control now. so gonna try not to reply here again. 😁

edit:

while I happen to agree with the guy, you'll notice I only quoted and responded to one line, which I pulled out of context to make a joke about myself. alone. in a room. surrounded by inanimate objects. that all agree with everything I say. get it? a joke. at my own expense. have a nice day.

It's not different at all:

- If you want the rewards, you need to select all flashpoints - there goes the control over the maps you can choose. In fact, if pve players want rewards, someone else, ANYONE else in the queue can control what the others in the group will get. HS is still strong with the playerbase. It still pops 90% of the times, no matter what level people are.  I have started to use nothing but basic attack when I am forced to play HS. If those people are incapable of selecting more than one flashpoint out of 28, I'm also incapable of using more than one ability. At least I get a lot of mats by scavenging everything.

- If you end up in a group with bad/toxic players, adding them to ignore won't remove them from the group. They won't be in the group next time I queue, but they ruin the fp from me and I can't leave either because apparently avoiding toxic people is something the devs think we need to be punished for. 

- I don't care either if people leave my flashpoint. The problem is I can't leave. 

So there really is no difference in pve/pvp regarding being forced to be in a group we don't want to be in. The reasons for wanting to get out may be different for pvp or pve, but neither has  better or worse reasons than the other. They are equal. Just because someone plays pve, doesn't mean they should be forced to play in a group they don't want to play in. Forcing people to stay in any content they don't want to do is wrong. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meddani said:

maybe i missed it but how about some matchmaking? tired of playing against two healers while your team has 4 DDs....

Supposedly they will be improving matchmaking. But I wouldn’t hold your breath on it working as you think it should or would like. It’s been 11 years and they still haven’t been able to do it or make sure premades aren’t put against pugs. Always take their announcements with a grain of salt until you test it. 

On 3/12/2023 at 11:31 AM, cacophonycat said:

CAN WE PLEASE ADDRESS THIS LOCKOUT PROBLEM?!

I haven't heard how they are being adjusted yet, but at least twice a week I'm getting locked out because when I join a warzone after it's already started it takes me closer to 50 seconds to load in. Then I'm stuck behind a respawn barrier or just spawn point barrier for a good 10-15 seconds. If I'm not then kicked from the match, I usually get kicked because of a 5 second feedback delay of information or just space-barring through cut scenes I can't disable kills my remaining time so I get booted. This has made it much harder on me grinding through Season 1.

I NEVER have this problem if I"m among the first of those clicking the "join" when the queue pops. It's only if someone leaves right at the start, and I'm the last to join or join mid-match. ESPECIALLY with the Attacker position in Void Star and any other War Zones that have battle cut scene intros that I can't turn off. (I've tried)

My computer and connection isn't so laggy that I get this lock out at any other time other than in these specific instances.

All you're doing is punishing me for a situation that's out of my control because I'd opt out of joining mid-match if I could or otherwise only join specific war zones that I know I don't have as much problem with. 

I like try to curb my content to only do what my computer, connection, and disabilities are capable of doing, but you're making it impossible for me to do the handful of content I do enjoy with this obsession over penalizing people who are just sitting in the match doing nothing anyways.

Seriously, they've stopped quitting the match and just stand there, run around, and do nothing or just dance and run emotes if they really don't want to participate. So now we're stuck with the players who don't want the match or don't like it just not trying and going into some corner to sit, while those of us who are trying to play but get stuck with 20 seconds of extra lag we couldn't avoid get locked out.

i heard one of the youtuber said that lock out will be change to 5 min from 20 min which is much better 

On 3/9/2023 at 4:53 AM, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

Wanted to confirm with all of you what will be coming with the next season of PvP. Though I’ll save the reveal of the rewards for a future blog post. Shabir covered a lot of what was happening with the Medals when PTS went live on February 9th. Slight adjustment have been made since then, so we wanted to establish what players will be experiencing beginning PvP Season 2: 

• Defender points per tick have been increased to 700 points per tick (up from 500 points per tick).
  • Turret Control Zones have been increased.
  • When within the control zones of a turret controlled by the player’s team, they will receive 500 defender points when defeating a player. 
  • When within the control zones of a turret controlled by the opposing team, players will receive 500 attacker points for every player they defeat. 

Currently, the changes above are only applied to the Alderaan Warzone map, but as Shabir wrote previously, we are working on rolling out the changes to the other maps in batches over time. 

One change that is applied to all maps beginning with 7.2.1, is the amount of Medals earned for full credit has been adjusted to players needing only to obtain 7 Medals instead of 8. 

Additionally, players who tested out PvP matches while PTS was open also saw updates made to the matchmaking process. As stated in the initial announcement for 7.2.1 PTS, matchmaking has been adjusted to make it more likely that large groups are matched up against each other. Appreciate everyone who submitted feedback whether that was in this thread, messages, or other social channels.

Based off the comments we’ve read since PTS has opened, there needs to be some clarification on what the matchmaking changes mean in practice and the impact it has on the player experience. 

With that in mind, starting in 7.2.1 there will now be a much higher priority during matchmaking to pair premades against each other when possible. There are two considerations that we will be monitoring very closely: 

• This will likely increase queue times for all players as we are enforcing harder matchmaking rules up front to pop a match.
  • With this in mind, as time passes with a player in a queue there becomes a delta where we will prioritize popping a match over everything else. Meaning you can still be paired with a premade but it will take a longer duration of time to pass in the queue for that to happen.

A reminder that there is a careful balance we have to consider between the quality of matches and the queue time of players. Catering to this balance is also why we have moved away from having solo vs group queues. As stated, we will be reviewing and monitoring data and feedback as the season progresses, and if it is found that the matchmaking system is causing excessive queue times, we will explore other options to improve the overall experience for players. 

After PvP Season 2 begins, the team will be keeping a close eye on queue pops, feedback, and determine what changes can be made for PvP Season 3 if any. 

We will be communicating more about Game Update 7.2.1 and PvP Season 2 in the coming weeks. 

Jackie 

EDIT: Adding the following change that will be live with 7.2.1: 

• The requirements for the Arena Advocator and Warzone Warrior Achievements have been reduced from 25 weekly completions to 12.

the weekly requirement is what players ask for and i am glad bioware listen to their players , kudos 

1 hour ago, KumbayaGOD said:

i heard one of the youtuber said that lock out will be change to 5 min from 20 min which is much better 

5/20/60 minutes as I remember reading awhile ago.

Still crap.  Still unsubscribed, and will continue to be so until this absurdity is removed.  I'll still play, and might even pvp.  But I ain't paying for it.  Either I won't log in again or I will just do pve stuff.  Not sure.  Depends on where my mood takes me.

We need:

• removal of deserter debuff
  • 8man reduced to 4man maximum for regular warzones
  • better matchmaking
  • pvp limited to 5 matches unless subscribed

I will keep beating this drum until something these issues are addressed to satisfaction or I am no longer permitted to post.  First come, first done.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sappharan said:

Can i ask you why? You want to play vs premades exclusively? Because that is how you get it. They have initiative to play at any terms, anyone else do not...

Edited by Glower
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Glower said:

Can i ask you why? You want to play vs premades exclusively? Because that is how you get it. They have initiative to play at any terms, anyone else do not...

I don’t think many people realise that under the old system, preferred players could circumvent the old play limit by grouping up with subscribers in premades. Which allowed them to play more pvp games than their status allowed. 

But what I would like to see discussed is possibly the reverse situation because they now have no play limits. Making F2P & preferred players not be able to group as pre-made might (or might not) alleviate the pre-made issue a little 🤷🏻‍♀️

10 hours ago, Sappharan said:

Still crap.  Still unsubscribed, and will continue to be so until this absurdity is removed.  I'll still play, and might even pvp.  But I ain't paying for it.  Either I won't log in again or I will just do pve stuff.  Not sure.  Depends on where my mood takes me.

We need:

• better matchmaking

I will keep beating this drum until something these issues are addressed to satisfaction or I am no longer permitted to post.  First come, first done.

last point is horrible...rest i agree

20 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Supposedly they will be improving matchmaking. But I wouldn’t hold your breath on it working as you think it should or would like. It’s been 11 years and they still haven’t been able to do it or make sure premades aren’t put against pugs. Always take their announcements with a grain of salt until you test it. 

i know, i've been here since launch. oh well, my sub runs out soon anyway. probably gonna resub when season 2 is starting.

edit: i'm f+++in done with this game , unsubbing until they get rid of this garbage deserter buff system on DCs.

Edited by meddani
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glower said:

I suspect that is the of pool players from which these premades are formed.  If I am right they're not paying, but they're playing and making their presence felt.  Were premades (8man) not an issue, I would not begrudge Bioware permitting f2p or preferred (whatever the status) from doing pvp as often as they like. 

Edited by Sappharan
  • Confused 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:11 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

and yet you're still here playing the game/pvp

21 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I don’t think many people realise that under the old system, preferred players could circumvent the old play limit by grouping up with subscribers in premades. Which allowed them to play more pvp games than their status allowed. 

But what I would like to see discussed is possibly the reverse situation because they now have no play limits. Making F2P & preferred players not be able to group as pre-made might (or might not) alleviate the pre-made issue a little 🤷🏻‍♀️

Put a limit on how many time folks can play, wow that's literally the best idea for making BW money lol.  no....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, darksidenerd said:

Put a limit on how many time folks can play, wow that's literally the best idea for making BW money lol.  no....

Actually I’m not playing & I’ve unsubscribed. Not sure what your point is 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Confused 1

On 3/14/2023 at 3:10 AM, Sappharan said:

We need:

• better matchmaking

On 3/14/2023 at 12:59 PM, Glower said:

On 3/14/2023 at 1:36 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Da&&m! I feel St&pid haven pay a monthly subscription. 

'Solo Player'   https://fsb.zobj.net/crop.php?r=bS2X7QjjlNCBnImnwoaDOKIsNOTBxuKe4_1U1ee2tsZEmEfp1OhEqxJ9T16EUtjHcL87AuhkJYqd5i-MmPV75-6AHK7PiF_sk_OpVXhjGoDkWQX21Wzl7GO4K_RTkUjPEUUgMwD4mXMCiRFe

Edited by Monhnich

5 hours ago, darksidenerd said:

so....You've been in here QQ-ing about Pre-mades in PVP the last 3 months and..you....dont even play.. ???  

They're (premades) why she doesn't play.  Premades were pretty obnoxious before the introduction of the 8man premade experiment, but I am not going to begrudge "playing with friends," or however people want to style it, when premades are limited to 4man.  Why was it good for 10+ years, but suddenly 4man premades are a thing of the past? 

Bioware knows it's a problem else they would not have commented on it.  However, the best solution and their solution are light-years apart. 

There are three things that combine to produce an awful pvp experience in this game:

• 8man premades
  • deserter debuff (of any kind, no matter how lenient)*
  • unlimited pvp decoupled from subscription status*

Remove any one of those and PvP becomes less odious.  Remove the 8man premades alone and you may see people return to pvp.  Let's not forget how AWFUL the matchmaking* is in the game; no healer on one team, where the other team has healers and tanks.  Premades exacerbate this.  The queue prioritizes speed over quality, which is baffling.  Just last night I saw someone asking, on the fleet, for people to queue for pvp.  It appears 8man premades and other factors* are negatively affecting queues. 

As stated in another post, I would not object to Bioware telling me to go touch grass because I would know that it is time to move on.  Right now the game stubbornly keeps me...around, albeit only a couple of hours a week which is an significant uptick in play time over past months.  But, as I have been very clear, I am not subscribed.  Subscription lapses in April.  April is nearly here.  If I had known the game would be in this state 5 months ago when my 6 month subscription renewed I would have quit then. 

8 hours ago, darksidenerd said:

Perhaps I do not understand.  You're suggesting that limiting the number of pvp games that people who are not subscribed (not paying) can play is somehow costing Bioware money?  In the event I poorly communicated my point:  people who are not subscribed (not paying) should have a limit placed on the number of games they're able to play in a day/week.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, darksidenerd said:

so....You've been in here QQ-ing about Pre-mades in PVP the last 3 months and..you....dont even play.. ???  

I’m not playing since I unsubscribed last month. That doesn’t mean anything in the game has been changed since then. Which is why I’m still advocating for it. I still don’t see what your point is other than to try & troll me 🤷🏻‍♀️

Because I never said to limit how many games they could play. I suggested that free to play people & preferred could be limited to playing solo only. If they want to play in pre-made, they can subscribe.

That in no way reduces player numbers or BioWares income. If anything, people who only want to pre-made are encouraged to pay for the privilege, which makes BioWare more money. 

How hard was that to understand?

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2023 at 5:35 AM, Sappharan said:

I suspect that is the of pool players from which these premades are formed.  If I am right they're not paying, but they're playing and making their presence felt.  Were premades (8man) not an issue, I would not begrudge Bioware permitting f2p or preferred (whatever the status) from doing pvp as often as they like. 

As a compromise, BioWare could prevent free to play & preferred from being able to pre-made. If they want to pre-made, they have to pay for it. That’s no different to the same sort of people being limited in credits, task bars, GTN posting, crafting etc. They can now play as many pvp games as they want, so limit them to only playing solo. 

Edited by TrixxieTriss
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

So I'm going to give you some logic here, take it or leave it.

SWTOR is a mmo, meant to be played in groups. It is very easy to find people to play with if you are even somewhat of a half bearable person. Hence, making friends is the solution to the premade problem. Make friends, queue against premades, now pvp is fair again.

Through the power of positivity and friendship, the premade problem is solved. Unless you have issues making friends, of course, I know you forum warriors have some trouble with that. If you can't play well with others, I'm sorry that your kindergarten teacher forgot that lesson, and MMOs may not be the setting for you. I suggest games like jumpstart preschool or webkinz.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, AMAirlines said:

SWTOR is a mmo, meant to be played in groups. It is very easy to find people to play with if you are even somewhat of a half bearable person. Hence, making friends is the solution to the premade problem. Make friends, queue against premades, now pvp is fair again.

Through the power of positivity and friendship, the premade problem is solved. Unless you have issues making friends, of course, I know you forum warriors have some trouble with that. If you can't play well with others, I'm sorry that your kindergarten teacher forgot that lesson, and MMOs may not be the setting for you. I suggest games like jumpstart preschool or webkinz.

Here's some logic for you too.

The game, like many other MMOs has this thing called activity finder. With that people can group up with other people, random people. Some of us are more socially sophisticated than others. We can actually group up with random people, people we don't know already. We don't need a bunch of socially challenged bullies to pat our backs, to laugh at our jokes even when they are not funny, to validate our existance and what not.

We, the solo queuers are social and courageous enough to meet new people and play with them for the first time, unlike the premade fanatics who are scared of queing on their own. They are afraid of losing. They are afraid of disappointment. I guess their kindergarten teacher (and parents) forgot to teach them how to deal with disappointments and losing, so yeah, it must be scary now. Imagine having to play with random, unknown people against other random, unknown people on an even playground. Imagine using the tools the game provides, instead of stacking the deck to gain advantages over others because random people make you feel vulnerable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeannaVoyager said:

Here's some logic for you too.

The game, like many other MMOs has this thing called activity finder. With that people can group up with other people, random people. Some of us are more socially sophisticated than others. We can actually group up with random people, people we don't know already. We don't need a bunch of socially challenged bullies to pat our backs, to laugh at our jokes even when they are not funny, to validate our existance and what not.

We, the solo queuers are social and courageous enough to meet new people and play with them for the first time, unlike the premade fanatics who are scared of queing on their own. They are afraid of losing. They are afraid of disappointment. I guess their kindergarten teacher (and parents) forgot to teach them how to deal with disappointments and losing, so yeah, it must be scary now. Imagine having to play with random, unknown people against other random, unknown people on an even playground. Imagine using the tools the game provides, instead of stacking the deck to gain advantages over others because random people make you feel vulnerable. 

so in a mmo you want to restrict players' ability to group up and do content with their friends? yea best of luck buddy

you play the way you want, others can play the way they want, not seeing the point in trying force others into playing the game the way you want instead of letting others enjoy the game the way they want

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AMAirlines said:

to be fair, the premade whining makes anyone who groups with friends into a dirty underhanded exploiter. when the truth of the matter is that all different skill levels grp ip all the time in pvp and elsewhere. 

what they’re really complaining about is getting their stuff pushed in and run off the map by groups who absolutely dominate them. and ppl tend to grp with others at a similar skill level. in other words, there can be 10 grps in queue every night, but that one grp of 4-8 just rolls everyone or purposely holds up the match to farm ppl. 

to be fair, this is the only reason solo rated lasted as long as it did. if the team compositions were not redrawn every match, the queue would have been as empty as grp. 

nevertheless, it’s patently absurd to abolish all grps or force those other 8/10 grps into a much smaller separate queue where they constantly have to get rolled by the one or two dominant or large grps. 

anyway and fwiw, most of the good players i’ve seen since returning are solo queued in arenas. there’s been a few 2m grps and like 1 4m (<hysteria>), and they were not running trinity nor all meta specs. in fact, WZs on the whole are a little better now than they were in 6.x when NOBODY was playing to win. now, it’s much better outside of quesh and vandin. most ppl cannot be bothered on those garbage maps and i don’t blame them…except scoring fast gets you out of there quicker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krackcommando said:

to be fair, the premade whining makes anyone who groups with friends into a dirty underhanded exploiter. when the truth of the matter is that all different skill levels grp ip all the time in pvp and elsewhere.

You're framing it so that it appears we're persecuting premades as a whole.  I am only really concerned with 8man premades.  I believe most people would agree.  More to the point, I would like to see 4man premades be the maximum number again.  That should not be considered a radical position.

what they’re really complaining about is getting their stuff pushed in and run off the map by groups who absolutely dominate them. and ppl tend to grp with others at a similar skill level. in other words, there can be 10 grps in queue every night, but that one grp of 4-8 just rolls everyone or purposely holds up the match to farm ppl.

Again, bad framing.  At the center of all of this controversy is matchmaking.  Matchmaking is abysmal in the game because the queue grossly favors speed of games presented over quality of matches.  We're complaining about premades because it's easier to reverse premades to 4man, and we have no faith that adjusting matchmaking will work.  We'll see.  That Bioware will address the issue properly is highly dubious.  I know my rhetoric has been rather strong, but if the matchmaking is really addressed, I may come to prefer playing (as a solo player) on a team with a premade. 

nevertheless, it’s patently absurd to abolish all grps or force those other 8/10 grps into a much smaller separate queue where they constantly have to get rolled by the one or two dominant or large grps.

Though I would love a solo only queue if the game could support it, because I believe it would improve my quality of games, I agree.  Abolishing groups for PvP would be patently absurd. 

Again, if you look at my post history, you will not find me advocating for the abolition of 4man premades.  I once mentioned a solo queue would be "ideal."  I still believe that.  But that is a bit selfish.  I know that the game could not support a premade only queue. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sappharan said:

You're framing it so that it appears we're persecuting premades as a whole.  I am only really concerned with 8man premades.  I believe most people would agree.  More to the point, I would like to see 4man premades be the maximum number again.  That should not be considered a radical position.

I'm not misframing anything. the screaming loud voice and its hangers on are adamant about separating all grps. which is absurd and a non-starter. and if YOU want to separate yourself from that, then I suggest you push back by stop liking those posts, and calling out the extremism.

to be clear, whenever you "like," "thank," or vocally support absurd posts about creating separate queues, and only even number groups, or anything that only says "premades" without specifying exactly what premades and how you're going to differentiate a handful of 17-20k all-galaxy players from groups of 2-4 anybodies, then you're lumnping yourself in with the absurd "all premades are bad" crew of complainers.

Edited by krackcommando
trying to tell the truth w/o getting hit with another infraction

26 minutes ago, Sappharan said:

Again, bad framing.  At the center of all of this controversy is matchmaking.  Matchmaking is abysmal in the game because the queue grossly favors speed of games presented over quality of matches.  We're complaining about premades because it's easier to reverse premades to 4man, and we have no faith that adjusting matchmaking will work.  We'll see.  That Bioware will address the issue properly is highly dubious.  I know my rhetoric has been rather strong, but if the matchmaking is really addressed, I may come to prefer playing (as a solo player) on a team with a premade. 

Though I would love a solo only queue if the game could support it, because I believe it would improve my quality of games, I agree.  Abolishing groups for PvP would be patently absurd. 

Again, if you look at my post history, you will not find me advocating for the abolition of 4man premades.  I once mentioned a solo queue would be "ideal."  I still believe that.  But that is a bit selfish.  I know that the game could not support a premade only queue. 

It’s always been about the matchmaking for me. Pre-made drama is just a symptom of a poorly setup matchmaking system. 

You hit the nail squarely on the head regarding player confidence that BioWare can or is even willing to properly fix the matchmaking. They’ve had 11 years to do it & the closest they came to success was in solo ranked queue. 

My issue has never been pre-mades being in the game. I’ve played in them many times myself. My issue & I think every reasonably player’s issue is the matchmaking puts pre-mades against pugs of dubious quality. 

The problem as I see it, is no matter how much BioWare play with the matchmaking algorithm, it will never work properly while ever it still allows pre-mades to be put against pugs. BioWare have shown repeatedly they can’t make this work. If they could, no one would be here complaining about pre-mades because the matchmaking would only put pre-made a vs pre-mades.

My suggestion to split the queue is purely because I’ve zero faith that BioWare can get the matchmaking algorithm to work while ever pre-mades & solos are in the same queue together. If they could get it to work, why did they need seperate queues for solo ranked & group ranked?

So in the absence of an algorithmic software solution, the simplest & easiest way to enforce a pre-made vs pre-made situation in the queue is to have a hard split into seperate queues. Seperate queues also means BioWare can apply different matchmaking algorithms to each type that might be needed to balance groups better. 

Splitting the queue isn’t a perfect solution, but in the absence of BioWare being unable to guarantee that the matchmaking wont ever put pre-mades vs pugs in a combined queue, there aren’t any other options.

In a perfect world, the matchmaking would work properly. But sadly, this isn’t a perfect world & BioWare will be BioWare, for better or worse & they always think pop times are the holy grail of pvp above all else. That is the number 1 KPI that’s driven BioWares pvp development. Not player enjoyment or fair matches. 

• Like 3