1 HOUR LOCKDOWN BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT TO WAIT TILL MY RAVAGE WAS OVER AND QUIT???

Yettofall

On 1/3/2023 at 7:09 PM, Anyaka_Jedi said:

Guess 5 threads isnt enough for a nonissue... This thread is about the lockout timers whichare particularly harsh towards dcs, not another platform for you to be annoyed about dsync issues

The lockouts are perfectly reasonable, and necessary in order to stop players from quitting games whenever they feel like. Ranked players like you want the lockout removed so you can exploit and wintrade games. IMO it should be 6 hours right on the first violation, 20 minutes is too lenient.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mycroft-Tarkin said:

The lockouts are perfectly reasonable, and necessary in order to stop players from quitting games whenever they feel like. Ranked players like you want the lockout removed so you can exploit and wintrade games. IMO it should be 6 hours right on the first violation, 20 minutes is too lenient.

Mycroft, your assumption is that im a ranked player and wintrade... I used to pvp alot but i detested the arena format so stopped. Never did ranked, never wintraded. So yes if you leave the game you should be penalised, game crapping out on you however shouldn't be.

8 hours ago, Anyaka_Jedi said:

. So yes if you leave the game you should be penalised,

game crapping out on you however shouldn't be.

The problem is, unless a player types actual commands like /logout or /stuck,  the current  SWTOR 'detection system'  cannot tell the difference between the 2 ^ you mention ( as far as i'm aware* ) .

In other words, SWTOR game code  doesn't know whether or not  Player-X  goes 'LD' (link dead) because of accidental ISP outage (whereby Player gets auto-booted back to prior 'phase' ) or from purposefully manually clicking the Exit Area button because they're rage-quitting a "bad team" out of protest or pouting.

Either way, SWTOR game priority at that point is twofold:  Fill the missing queue spot and apply the timer penalty to gone Player-X.

That's it.  The code can't/doesn't  play favorites nor discern any potential mitigating circumstances (or nuance) .

*BioWare: please correct me if i'm wrong here but.... Within your server-logs, the game prompt doesn't specifiy whether 'Exit Area' effect was specifically initiated/clicked by the PLAYER or just generally resulted by the GAME , correct?

Edited by Nee-Elder

9 hours ago, Chryptyk said:

has anyone figured out the threshold for how many quits in whatever time yet for the longer lockouts?

So if you leave 3 matches in less than 1 week, you get a 6 hour lockout.  If you leave more than 3 matches in less than a week? Nobody knows if it will keep being 6 or if the time will increase.

On 12/15/2022 at 11:05 AM, JackieKo said:
  • Leaving 1 match = 20 minute lockdown
  • Leaving 2 matches = 1 hour lockdown
  • Leaving 3 matches = 6 hour lockdown

32 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

The problem is

this isn't a problem, the issue is players leaving warzones being a detriment to their team, be it cause they are salty they are losing or cause they have a bad connection, shady cable or mom unplugs the router the core issue is the same, and as such the punishment should be the same

8 minutes ago, RikuvonDrake said:

this isn't a problem, the issue is players leaving warzones being a detriment to their team, be it cause they are salty they are losing or cause they have a bad connection, shady cable or mom unplugs the router the core issue is the same, and as such the punishment should be the same

Yeah i'm pretty sure that's what i was saying & implying in my post too.  As in, we are in agreement here, no?

The "problem" i spoke of was in terms of  BIOWARE's problem (quandry, predicament, situation, etc. ) , as well as in terms of my trying to explain things a bit for the  Anyaka_Jedi  poster.

Edited by Nee-Elder

13 hours ago, Chryptyk said:

has anyone figured out the threshold for how many quits in whatever time yet for the longer lockouts?

If u leave match prematurely more than 3 times within a week,u'll get a 6 hours lockout everytime u leave again. So God forbid if u have connection problems or if u get stuck on the frequent bugs and lags u'll find in pvp that just kicks u out of the match. Ppl that agree with these insane lockouts probably dont pvp very often,and maybe they dont even pvp at all,otherwise they would know about bugs and dc that makes u leave the match even if u dont want to.

I get that something needs to be done about the players leaving match due to rage or feeling like they'll lose anyway,but not like they doing now,which is just penalizing everyone that gets a random dc or get stuck on a bug after using a high movement skill. 

And I wonder if these ppl talking sh1t about ranked players and supporting these stupid lockouts are the same that stay afk almost a entire match "defending" a node,a door or just doing nothing in a corner waiting for the match to end so they get a useless reward. Sry,but if u are one of those,u are not entitled to discuss about pvp since u arent a pvper at all.😉

Edited by DougTheNoob

i play.  i try.  i guard.  i play objectives.  i don't deathmatch for funzies.  i don't queue with other people.

is it really a quit count timer is per week?  that does seem a bit much.

i do support longer lockout times though.  maybe have the window be a day instead of a week though.

i don't care about winning or losing.  just get the match done and move on to the next.

honestly, i think pvp should be removed from this game.  then we don't have to worry about balance issues it causes in pve.

everyone who is subbed is entitled to discuss whatever they'd like to, according to the forum rules.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chryptyk said:

honestly, i think pvp should be removed from this game.  then we don't have to worry about balance issues it causes in pve.

That explains a lot lol. If u think pvp should be removed,u probably dont really like or care about pvp .But as u said,everyone is entitled to discuss whatever they like,yes. But why would anyone bother to dicuss about something they dont really care about? I mean,u'll never see me dicussing about nim ops,even tho I run some from time to time(mostly to help a guildie or a friend).Why?Bcos I really dont care about ops. 

Edited by DougTheNoob

because i don't care is why.  an outside perspective is needed for certain things.  it is my belief that pvp breeds all kinds of nasty behaviors and there's been ample demonstration of that going on.  additionally, pvp design screws things up elsewhere in the game.  so it's important to still keep tabs of things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, PrivateerArris said:

1 hour lockout is not enough. Ragequiteers must suffer, im tired of this quitin crap.

24 hours is good. But this only my dreams. A pity

The sanctimony of your post is completely tone deaf.  I cannot wait until you lose connection during PvP and it debuffs you for 24 hours and it is not your fault.  I will rejoice when it happens.  

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, PrivateerArris said:

1 hour lockout is not enough. Ragequiteers must suffer, im tired of this quitin crap.

24 hours is good. But this only my dreams. A pity

You assume that when someone drops from a match that they rage quit.  I know that people dc from the game on a regular basis, and think it is probably more likely that disconnects are a major contributor to the problem.  

In pve people dc from the game all the time.  I was even in one group yesterday where we had two people disconnect from at the same time.  Each time this happens the group ends up waiting for the people to reconnect for a couple of minutes and then moves on.  However, in pvp a person that disconnects is dropped from the group, and people like you assume that they rage quit.

Your assumption that people are rage quitting and should be made to suffer does nothing to fix the problem, and only adds to the toxicity seen in pvp in this game.

That is why I am opposed to all lockout timers for people who drop from matches.  People should not be made to suffer because they were the victim of a disconnect.  They should be able to requeue if they want to and enjoy the game without BioWare feeling the need to punish them for their misfortune.

• Like 3

A one-side slaughter, where the other team is dragging the match to have fun at your expense, is not entertaining (should be the purpose of a game), it's just frustrating and a complete waste of time. The "learning experience" excuse is just BS. There's nothing to learn from eating missiles the moment you spawn.

The team should be allowed to deliberate about ending the match quickly, by letting the enemy cap all sats, or colliding with the nearest solid construct.

Sadly, there's always the individuals that will hold the team hostage in that situation, under threat of kick or snitch. Don't quit the match. You shouldn't be punished for the lack of balance in the game (Dev's fault), or other players wanting appeasement for their big egos.

When in such situations, i turn off the game sound, and put a music selection i like.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Exly said:

You assume that when someone drops from a match that they rage quit.  I know that people dc from the game on a regular basis, and think it is probably more likely that disconnects are a major contributor to the problem.  

In pve people dc from the game all the time.  I was even in one group yesterday where we had two people disconnect from at the same time.  Each time this happens the group ends up waiting for the people to reconnect for a couple of minutes and then moves on.  However, in pvp a person that disconnects is dropped from the group, and people like you assume that they rage quit.

Your assumption that people are rage quitting and should be made to suffer does nothing to fix the problem, and only adds to the toxicity seen in pvp in this game.

That is why I am opposed to all lockout timers for people who drop from matches.  People should not be made to suffer because they were the victim of a disconnect.  They should be able to requeue if they want to and enjoy the game without BioWare feeling the need to punish them for their misfortune.

I feel bad for people who are on a winning team, game has a few minutes left and they get disconnected. That's happened to me and I'm like what ever, but I just move to another server. I feel worse for others because that maybe the only game they get to play for the day.

9 hours ago, PrivateerArris said:

Then buy better provider

that's not an option for most people in the US. You have one provider that throttles the heck out of your connection about 2-3 days into the new month.

Edited by illgot
  • Like 1

I would agree that it's frustrating to encounter an unexpected disconnect when you're in the middle of a PVP match/operation. That said, BW/EA should be able to distinguish between a clean exit, one that was initiated by the client, and a "dirty" exit that is the result of packet loss and the client timing out over a period of time. The issue here is that, there's no way to easily distinguish between an intentional disconnect, (routing issues, ISP related disconnects, ethernet cable being pulled, network card being disabled, etc.). It all looks the same on the server side and sadly, when you're in a match if something like this occurs, the best course of action is to penalize the player regardless. If this isn't done, it leaves room for this mechanic being intentionally abused by players seeking to get out of matches they're not having a good time in. 

In the case of the OP, he intentionally left the match so the subsequent timeout that was issued, was warranted. If a claim could be made that the mechanic that increments the punishment interval over a period of unintended or intended quits from a match isn't working properly, then that would obviously need to be looked into and addressed. I don't have any sympathy for someone that intentionally and willingly leaves an in-progress PVP match. You're doing the rest of your team a disservice regardless of how the match is going. If you're unwilling to deal with the "you win some, you lose some" constant that is PVP, I would suggest not queuing so that you can spare your teammates the inconvenience of you bailing on them mid-match.

On 1/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, illgot said:

that's not an option for most people in the US. You have one provider that throttles the heck out of your connection about 2-3 days into the new month.

too bad they can't bring it back, when you could switch,  better competition. Now it's just a take it and live with what we give you

1 hour ago, KumbayaGOD said:

and also please remember there is a real life situation 

As i mentioned earlier in this thread:  the SWTOR game code doesn't know (nor care)  why  a player  disconnects.

Unless you want BioWare to have access to your computer's camera lol , so then maybe  their detection code could make case-by-case judgements and then apply the 'lockout' timer accordingly.

Edited by Nee-Elder

On 1/10/2023 at 7:00 AM, Nee-Elder said:

As i mentioned earlier in this thread:  the SWTOR game code doesn't know (nor care)  why  a player  disconnects.

Unless you want BioWare to have access to your computer's camera lol , so then maybe  their detection code could make case-by-case judgements and then apply the 'lockout' timer accordingly.

I don't think even this would help. No, the only way I see to alleviate a bit the disconnect trauma is to limit the comeback in the que to the same exact match and if you don't que until that match ends, than you get the lock. Probably won't help with arena or with the dc's that happen to the end of an warzone, but re-quing during the match while knowing that you will be returned to the same match and same team is the only way that a disconnected player could differentiate himself from a lame quitter. I  made a bit of a more ample suggestion in the dedicated forum section.

On 1/6/2023 at 11:21 AM, Nee-Elder said:

The problem is, unless a player types actual commands like /logout or /stuck,  the current  SWTOR 'detection system'  cannot tell the difference between the 2 ^ you mention ( as far as i'm aware* ) .

In other words, SWTOR game code  doesn't know whether or not  Player-X  goes 'LD' (link dead) because of accidental ISP outage (whereby Player gets auto-booted back to prior 'phase' ) or from purposefully manually clicking the Exit Area button because they're rage-quitting a "bad team" out of protest or pouting.

Either way, SWTOR game priority at that point is twofold:  Fill the missing queue spot and apply the timer penalty to gone Player-X.

That's it.  The code can't/doesn't  play favorites nor discern any potential mitigating circumstances (or nuance) .

*BioWare: please correct me if i'm wrong here but.... Within your server-logs, the game prompt doesn't specifiy whether 'Exit Area' effect was specifically initiated/clicked by the PLAYER or just generally resulted by the GAME , correct?

I know in pve, if a player disconnects from the game, a message appears in the chat window, and the operation frame shows that player with a clear indicator that they have dc'ed.  That means that there is a way for BioWare to detect disconnects and they do it on a regular basis.

I don't know why they don't use the same logic when deciding whether or not to impose a lockout timer penalty to people who dc.  

In my opinion, BioWare should display the same disconnect message in the chat window for pvp to help people to understand the reason a person has been removed from the match, and they should not penalize people who were removed from the match by them because of a dc.

3 hours ago, Exly said:

I know in pve, if a player disconnects from the game, a message appears in the chat window, and the operation frame shows that player with a clear indicator that they have dc'ed.  That means that there is a way for BioWare to detect disconnects and they do it on a regular basis.

I don't know why they don't use the same logic when deciding whether or not to impose a lockout timer penalty to people who dc.  

In my opinion, BioWare should display the same disconnect message in the chat window for pvp to help people to understand the reason a person has been removed from the match, and they should not penalize people who were removed from the match by them because of a dc.

The game can't tell the source of the disconnect (eg, power outtage, or alt+F4). The same players who quit the match, would just shut off the game and come back in, instead.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, yandcabral said:

The game can't tell the source of the disconnect (eg, power outtage, or alt+F4). The same players who quit the match, would just shut off the game and come back in, instead.

Well then, I guess I'm back to believing that they should just eliminate the lockout penalties altogether.   People should not be punished for things that are out of their control, and I would rather see a system where no one gets punished than one where victims of disconnects are punished just to make the toxic few happy.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.