Upcoming Update of the Game Launcher

JackieKo

• Dev Post
3 hours ago, -Rachel- said:

Hello @JackieKo,  That doesn't work cause the repair button is not active on the launcher for me.  But I have the issue that I can log in.  But the "PLAY" button does nothing and acts like a toggle (highlight on/off) so the actual game never starts up.

@-Rachel-Can you please download the installer from the download page, run it, choose repair and confirm what state you are in afterward? 

Hello @JackieKo,  I also did download the installer, run it and selected 'repair'.  It did finish in like a second.  The launcher came up, I entered my password and security key code.  I can log in, but the state I am in is that pressing on the 'Play' button, doesn't start up the actual game.  I am still in the state I was in this morning after launcher update.

When I log in on the launcher, it does show a red bar for a quick second so I can't tell what it actually says as it quickly disappears.  My guess, the notification that there is a launcher update?  But I don't know.

Edited by -Rachel-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -Rachel- said:

Hello @JackieKo,  I also did download the installer, run it and selected 'repair'.  It did finish in like a second.  The launcher came up, I entered my password and security key code.  I can log in, but the state I am in is that pressing on the 'Play' button, doesn't start up the actual game.  I am still in the state I was in this morning after launcher update.

When I log in on the launcher, it does show a red bar for a quick second so I can't tell what it actually says as it quickly disappears.  My guess, the notification that there is a launcher update?  But I don't know.

Exact same scenario here... brand new laptop running Win 11 - never had this issue before. Worked fine this morning on both older laptops Win 10

20 minutes ago, Johnycat said:

Exact same scenario here... brand new laptop running Win 11 - never had this issue before. Worked fine this morning on both older laptops Win 10

My computer has Win 11 too.  Everything was fine last night till this morning.  Was doing an ops with friends, leaving when that was finished crashed the game so I wanted to log back in but got prompted with the game launcher update.  After that finished, I did not notice any problems, launcher restarted a few times.  Then I had that 35+GB check etc.  That finished also okay.  Then I logged in on the launcher, that worked.  It's just that when clicking on 'Play' button next, is where it stops.

One time, I thought it would go further cause the launcher did disappear after clicking on 'Play' button as it normally does, but it doesn't start up the actual game.  And in task manager, I do not see any swtor process running when that happens. It looks like it just closed SWTOR.  Retrying it again, the 'Play' button acts as a toggle, highlights on and off, and that being in some sort of loop.

So I did send in the file requested over email.  I got a response from CS with the same that I already tried. At this point I am not even sure if I should reinstall everything.  But that is probably not going to fix this issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, -Rachel- said:

So I did send in the file requested over email.  I got a response from CS with the same that I already tried. At this point I am not even sure if I should reinstall everything.  But that is probably not going to fix this issue.

They're not reading tickets when they first come in, but rather simply sending out a copy/paste response. 

I sent an email explaining that I was attempting to install the game on a computer that it hadn't been on before and that the files weren't available because the game won't install.    Literally as the first things I said in the email.

And I got a clearly copy/paste response requesting said files as well as the basic troubleshooting already outlined earlier.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ner_idia said:

They're not reading tickets when they first come in, but rather simply sending out a copy/paste response. 

I sent an email explaining that I was attempting to install the game on a computer that it hadn't been on before and that the files weren't available because the game won't install.    Literally as the first things I said in the email.

And I got a clearly copy/paste response requesting said files as well as the basic troubleshooting already outlined earlier.

Ah I see, thanks.

35 minutes ago, -Rachel- said:

My computer has Win 11 too.  Everything was fine last night till this morning.  Was doing an ops with friends, leaving when that was finished crashed the game so I wanted to log back in but got prompted with the game launcher update.  After that finished, I did not notice any problems, launcher restarted a few times.  Then I had that 35+GB check etc.  That finished also okay.  Then I logged in on the launcher, that worked.  It's just that when clicking on 'Play' button next, is where it stops.

One time, I thought it would go further cause the launcher did disappear after clicking on 'Play' button as it normally does, but it doesn't start up the actual game.  And in task manager, I do not see any swtor process running when that happens. It looks like it just closed SWTOR.  Retrying it again, the 'Play' button acts as a toggle, highlights on and off, and that being in some sort of loop.

I’m running Windows 7 still.  The game ran fine on the old launcher.  I got the new launcher on October 5 or 6.  The blue spinning disk started when I played, then logged out, then tried to get back in.  On a fresh start, the game loaded without any issues.

For a few days, I could get the game to load either on a fresh boot or by not entering the security code and making the launcher ask for it.  Then that quit working, and I needed a fresh boot.  Then that stopped working also.  

From October 12 on, I can’t get in at all.  On the occasion I got past the launcher, I used task manager to watch the SWTOR processes (4 of them, 2 large and 2 small) exit without any messages.  

2 hours ago, Ner_idia said:

This EXACTLY - have had two replies from "so called" support asking me to follow the same... download this file, use repair... and everything will work fine -  process. Tried 4 times - does not work. Can activate launcher, enter credentials, press PLAY button - then nothing... game does not launch and launcher just sits there. Can press Play over and over and over - nothing happens.

@JackieKo

So I've reinstalled the game and managed to get to my character screen, then i logged out again and now it's the same thing. The difference i did note here is that although the repair option is greyed out, unistalling it from my program list let me either repair or uninstall it.  Instead I get this:

https://i.imgur.com/7BMA9W6.png

Edited by Myzrahie

52 minutes ago, Johnycat said:

This EXACTLY - have had two replies from "so called" support asking me to follow the same... download this file, use repair... and everything will work fine -  process. Tried 4 times - does not work. Can activate launcher, enter credentials, press PLAY button - then nothing... game does not launch and launcher just sits there. Can press Play over and over and over - nothing happens.

UPDATE: uninstalled... then made a STEAM account... installed there (took about 10 minutes total). Everything works fine now. **PSA to players (and to support team... maybe try this recommendation instead of copy paste the same useless process that doesn't work)

end of line.

I have the same issue, click "Play" and then nothing happens.

• I have deleted and reinstalled the game several times. 
  • I have tried to repair the launcher several times.
  • I have sent the email to support and never received a response. 

Let me know if I am missing something else I should be trying. 

My  launcher has been working so far ( *knocks on wood* ) but  now it's doing something very strange:  During mid-launch, just before i can click PLAY,  a quick like half-second almost subliminal message  says  "There are no items available" with a circle symbol below (the 'illuminati' maybe?! :eek: ) pops-up and then disappears.

Anyone else notice this too????

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: am i just seeing things? and why did -Rachel- delete her post quoting mine?

While it is true that the new launcher does indeed connect to the server faster, the launcher itself takes longer to get to a ready state where I can input my account info. And I still have a daily one time password required.  So for me at least, there's not real improvement with the new launcher.

• Sad 1

**FIX FOR THIS ISSUE OF THE PLAY BUTTON NOT LAUNCHING THE GAME**

Delete the Bioware install, add SWTOR to your STEAM library, download from your library in Steam, and launch with your current account.
Steam version has less bloat in the files too.
I thank my brother for this fix

So, uh, anyone else have the launcher do an update that crashes it and then results in 'Windows cannot access the etc. You may not have appropriate permissions etc.'? Because that's what it just did to me. (Restarted the computer to see if that would help. Nope.)

EDIT: About eight hours later, it seems to have decided that it feels like working.

Edited by IzumiCurtis
New info

Hello @JackieKo, I am another one that having issues with the new launcher since last week when I receive the indication that I have been selected to test the new game launcher.

I'm pretty sure that I had follow all the available/proposed steps and read as well all questions and your answers to the the topic but until now the only action is work for me is to delete the game and copy all related to SWTOR:The Old Republic (not download, isn't working either) game files from a saved copy from my laptop to my PC, in dayly base

Further more that might help, by using an older version of game as I described above, there is LauncherDiag file available which I use it to run diagnosis and afterthen a WinRAR archive type of file is placed to my faulder. Is this something that can help either you and me? Please advise in case of yes about how and where can I send it.

Thanks in advance

23 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

We’re seeing some common issues players are reporting that can be fixed by using the Repair function. We wanted to highlight these scenarios for players, so they can get into a working state. 

• If you see these type of errors:
  • Game not launching
  • Launcher crashing
  • Blank launcher screen
  • Slow launcher

Please try:

• Open the launcher, go to settings, and run the Repair function
  • Or, if your launcher crashed during upgrade, please download the new installer from this page, run it, and choose "Repair"

If you are still experiencing issues and have not submitted your log file to Support, we highly suggest you do, so we can troubleshoot the issues further. 

The Repair Button is Grayed out, you cannot repair anything.  This is a Fresh Rebuilt computer, never having SWTOR installed.  I type in the username and password, and a Blue circle thing on the left just keeps spinning.  I tried leaving it there over never, after 8 hours, still spinning.

This has been a major headache for days now.  Canceling my Subscription.

I have never been a Steam User and have no intentions of being s Steam user.  If they cannot fix the problem, they do not need my money.

So far so good.  I got the new launcher earlier today.  The whole process took about 2 minutes.  

I still use windows 10, and am using a 5 year old pc with an i7 processor, a nvidia graphics card and an ssd drive.  I don't know if this information is useful, but I decided to share it just in case it helps.

17 hours ago, Nee-Elder said:

Anyone else notice this too????

yeah, just started for me like that .  I think the first time was about a day n a half ago.  I get it like every other time I launch the game.

also started recently,  go through the whole process , press play, launcher disappears (normal) and wait .  waiting ,  and still waiting, "hey didn't I press Play"  launch the launcher again. repeat 3 times, before game launches. 

It doesn't always happen, it just random

On 10/14/2022 at 9:02 AM, Johnycat said:

Same experience here. 

1st, login works regardless of if you put security key in on step 1 or 2

2nd, screen with the play button shows but it's disabled and everything else is contentless (Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ieD8hMBT1WHnXdJZ9  )

3rd, after a couple of minutes the same screen goes black and then the application quits

(Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QiTqVWe21PezKWmy7 )

=-=-=-=-

Above is using the latest repair launcher tool to fix the launcher. Without fixing the launcher even the latest launcher won't run. Game crashes with an error Host_WindowLoadTimeout (Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/K8vV43r14NhQsmTd9)

Also, you had to ensure there's a client_settings.ini file and it has  "Fullscreen = false D3DFullScreen = false RefreshRate = 60 Check NativeHeight, NativeWidth, Height and Width ( all 4 ) match your monitor resolution." (link

Tried a number of reinstalls off fresh install, and using the line above fixes, and nothing gets you past the Play screen in the launcher which just hangs, had a disabled button and shows nothing before turning black and quitting after a few minutes.

Logs aren't picking up anything. 

Not happy that I just got 180 days over on kinguin, can't get a refund, and not even one playable day once subbed due to launcher above stuffing up due to latest update

Edited by poyntz
Added text

12 hours ago, LordBritain said:

I'm getting that.  Shut down working last night, tried this evening and that's all I get.

So once again I have been "chosen". I'm getting the exact same thing. The launcher crashes with "Host_WindowLoadTimeout". It looks like this time I'm completely out of luck and nothing will fix it. Last month when I got screwed for a week, reinstalling fixed it. This time nothing works. I downloaded the new installer listed in this thread, I tried reinstalling, I tried restoring from backup. Nothing works. I'm really beginning to feel like this broken minority is an acceptable loss to you and we will never be fixed. No reparations or compensation have been made or even discussed. I receive no response from customer support after numerous email in the last month. It has been a month since the last time I was chosen and had to spend a full week troubleshooting and reinstalling rather than playing. I'm just really disappointed that this is how paying subscribers are treated.

So... just got a THIRD email from support... regurgitating the exact same useless "use the repair" feature advice - that DOES, NOT, WORK... for anyone that is posting here!?

Bioware - will you please resolve this, respond, offer some kind of remedy for impacted players... or at the very least advise your support team to share (imho) the ONLY fix that seems to work currently... uninstall game, make a steam account, download game from steam - works fine. Just a note, this is not a lengthy process - took me 10 mins total (mid-high range laptop).

Cheers,

J

5 hours ago, racknut said:

So once again I have been "chosen". I'm getting the exact same thing. The launcher crashes with "Host_WindowLoadTimeout". It looks like this time I'm completely out of luck and nothing will fix it. Last month when I got screwed for a week, reinstalling fixed it. This time nothing works. I downloaded the new installer listed in this thread, I tried reinstalling, I tried restoring from backup. Nothing works. I'm really beginning to feel like this broken minority is an acceptable loss to you and we will never be fixed. No reparations or compensation have been made or even discussed. I receive no response from customer support after numerous email in the last month. It has been a month since the last time I was chosen and had to spend a full week troubleshooting and reinstalling rather than playing. I'm just really disappointed that this is how paying subscribers are treated.

Just to be clear, I also tried installing via Steam and the regular launcher and both crash with Host_WindowLoadTimeout. So none of the solutions work for me. 

My launcher now launches, albeit slowly, but now I get the two spinny Blue circles and nothing further.

I'd been working fine up until a night ago with the new launcher.  I'll try deleting & re-installing, see how that goes. 

Something else to note, when the launcher fails, the rest of the PC runs like a dead hedgehog.

Edited by LordBritain