Upcoming Update of the Game Launcher

JackieKo

I've followed all those steps and asked to be "patient" whilst you investigate the issues.

Really, are you having a laugh mate?  Whilst others may log in and enjoy their subscription, the lucky chosen few must suffer in silence. 

After resubbing last month for the first time in years, I'm infuriated at how you have decided to do this.  If i'm not compensated appropriately, i'm off

Edited by -Ashton-
  • Like 1

• Dev Post
2 minutes ago, -Ashton- said:

I've followed all those steps and asked to be "patient" whilst you investigate the issues.

Thank you for following the steps. As the Support team said, please be patient while they investigate the issues you're having. And no, I do not find this funny. We are working to help out any player who is reporting issues with the new launcher. While I understand your frustration, I ask that you are respectful in the content you post here or anywhere on the forums. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Thank you for following the steps. As the Support team said, please be patient while they investigate the issues you're having. And no, I do not find this funny. We are working to help out any player who is reporting issues with the new launcher. While I understand your frustration, I ask that you are respectful in the content you post here or anywhere on the forums. 

And when exactly should I expect to be able to play the game I’m paying for? Whilst others continue to benefit/ progress in my absence?

And what about compensation?  An apology for being forced into this SWTOR jury duty

• Like 1

I've never frequented these forums much over the past decade, but the new launcher has done something I find unacceptable. I am no longer able to change my loading screen to an image of my choice without it being replaced by the one from the current expansion. I have used the vanilla launch screen for as long as the game has been out and I would very much like to do so for whatever remains of the game's lifetime. Is the launch screen really so important that it cannot be customized by each player?

Edited by Darth_Terminus
  • Like 4

Hello,

It seems I was one of the users apparently selected at random today to "test" this launcher update. I certainly wish I had at least had some sort of option to opt out of this trial, because this update may have effectively cheated me out of the game and subscription time I've paid for until this new launcher's issues are fixed.

To delve into the exact details of the issue I encountered, the launcher itself seemed to update just fine before I logged in to it,, after opening it's application, even though it did take some time to update and restart itself. Once this was over with, I was able to log in like normal. However, to my immense surprise, I was then prompted by the launcher to accept a whopping download of 35 GB or more, even if SWTOR is obviously fully and properly installed on my computer (no issues whatsoever before today at that) . I cannot actually spare an additional 35 GB of space on my hard drive. Had I allowed this forced download to finish, my hard drive would very likely have crashed. As it stands, I had no way of even pausing this download normally, the launcher froze up my computer, and I feared the worst. I had to terminate power entirely in order to avoid having this update destroy my entire system.

I did notice the claims made by users in the relevant EA forums thread opened recently with regards to this update that the download was not truly 35 GB, but such claims were made only by a few users, and other posts in the same forums seemed to indicate that they did indeed need to download not only 35 GB, but 45 GB in total. I simply cannot risk the chance that the ones claiming the download is nothing to be concerned about are mistaken.

I sincerely hope that this issue is fixed in a prompt and timely manner by BioWare so that I can play the game and make use of the play time I renewed less than a week ago again, otherwise I will unfortunately have no choice but to cancel my subscription for good and pursue a refund, regardless of what is done to my account. I hope that this issue is fixed for the sake of my fellow players who were included in this "trial" as well.

On a related note, it is absolutely disgusting and unscrupulous, to say the very least, that the beta testing of a new launcher has been forced on unsuspecting players with virtually no true warning or ability to opt out. This would be a lot like forcing regular players who intend to log in to the Live servers to spend valuable time with friends into the PTS server. Leaving your players and subscribers with no options in this matter whatsoever is a horrible policy, especially if they are expected to allow a massive and potentially damaging download onto their system.

Edited by LordNocturnis
  • Like 2

Seems I was now chosen for this new launcher test.  Luckily, I didn't encounter any issues with it.  It restarted three times in a row and then, after seeming to pause for about a minute, started downloading data.  Everything after that was fine.

However, when you are testing things, you ask for volunteers, you do NOT force it upon random subscribers and hope for the best. I would have been more than happy to test this on my second account and PC.

Yet another horrible decision by Corporate leading to a horrible experience for the PAYING Customer (me). Not only did I not choose to be a lab rat for your sub-par product (new game launcher), said product does not work. I let it update and surprise! Now the game does NOT launch and for some reason, not included, was a way to use the old launcher that worked perfectly. And now I'm missing my progression raid team. Thanks! In the old days, people got fired over debacles like this.

It is taking every bit of patience to not cancel my 10 yr sub. Hope this is fixed SOON.

• Like 1

It would seem the games attempt to upgrade to the new launcher when I wasn't expecting it on my Linux setup caused it to thrash a bunch of the files, forcing me to re-download the game to even get the launcher to, well, launch.

Edit: Even after re-downloading the assets, the game still does not launch, nor will the launcher after the re-download and re-installation. I was supposed to be helping my guild in multiple operations this evening, but that's been delayed significantly as a result of this.

Edited by conmkeating

The launcher DOES NOT WORK.   I'm doing a clean install on a computer that the game isn't on before. 

First I got a ".dll" error, which is a really big red flag.

Then after finally fixing that...I got the client to up date.   And it just closes without doing anything.    It's not saving login information (like username) any longer, and there's no log or setup files BECAUSE THE GAME WON'T INSTALL.

I even turned off my anti-virus...with no effect.

Launcher already updated and I played yesterday and this morning. Tonight I went to log in and the launcher refused to work due to a .dll error. Deleted the game, re-installed now it does nothing, won't launch at all. I deleted the game for good this time. After 10 years I'm done.  Still have Lotro and WOW to play whenever I want.

over 14 hours 

No update, no clarification on whats going on

I completely uninstalled SWTOR and re-installed it, the launcher is larger but the issue is the same. Launcher is fully updated, game is ready to start, hit play and nothing

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JackieKo said:

So, we're expected to be patient, meanwhile, we can't play the game at all, we have paid for our subscription, Conquest continues to go on in which we cannot participate, there is nothing we can do about it except bend over and say "thank you sir, may I have another.", and we are supposed to trust that you are going to properly compensate us when your track record on issues such as this are laughable to say the least? I don't think so. Guess I'll go find something else to play as this game is officially dead.

• Like 1

By way of update. My solution was to install the game to my Steam Launcher, and then launch the game through Steam. This worked fine. IMO, the issue is with trying to make the non-Steam launcher so much like the Steam launcher that those of who had uninstalled BitRaider in the past are having issues with it.

• Thanks 1

Until yesterday everything worked fine on my Mac M1, but then I needed to install the new launcher and now nothing works. I cannot even reinstall the game via CrossOver. I know MacOS is not officially supported and CrossOver is a 3rd Party Application, but it worked since the introduction of M1 and the new launcher killed that. That's really a pity.

It appears support staff are non-existent over the weekend. So after their botched launcher changes that leave many players unable to play, but we are expected to simply rot in their absence.

what an absolute farce, there is literally nothing of equal value you can compensate us for at this stage.  

Missed community pvp events, missed raid progress and missed conquest.

unless your going to ask me what I want in compensations based on my chosen gameplay experience? I genuinely  gutted I’ve missed the ability to play on a Friday/Saturday evening I had free. My first time in a few months to be honest.

Not even a word from you to acknowledge what your doing help,  it’s almost as if your closed for the weekend. So poor.

• Like 1

Can't they place a second launcher , in the selected testers game directory the next time? 

I'm one of the happy few, who can't start the game at the moment.

Edited by -PMG-

I am playing it through wine on linux mint  and the game just crashed today. Had to uninstall it completely, downloaded the newest setup file and I and it even won't run. Tried installing some older version which somehow boots but gets stuck on on the whole "launcher update".