Upcoming Update of the Game Launcher

JackieKo

4 minutes ago, Enki said:

I posted a cure for this launcher issue, scroll up for it. I'm not trying to get a spam warning,

hey Enki,  i think you mean THIS post from sunday by you? --> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/924959-upcoming-update-of-the-game-launcher/page/9/#comment-9723944

(remember you can always  use that 'Link' button on forums EDIT toolbar ^ to hyperlink within  one of your posts , so you wouldn't have to re-post  repeatedly or whatever)

Edited by Nee-Elder
  • Like 1

I also have decided to install Steam and then install SWTOR through that last week on friday.  On Steam, it works.  On orginal, it doesn't cause the launcher does absolutely nothing.  I must say that I am also in DM's with JackieKo and she is really nice and being very helpful and I am letting her know with various options so the team can troubleshoot.  Those that can't play, do it through Steam for now. Installing it goes pretty fast than it was like 4 or 5 years ago.  Because it's done in like 20 minutes.

I have tried the repair as directed and still does not work.  NO, I do not want to uninstall and launch from a Steam app.  NO, I do not want to do a complete removal of game and then new install.  The old launcher is working fine, and I have no plans to change any time in the future.

• Like 2

Hello, I  have problems too :) Couldn't log into game after new launcher update for 3 days, so decided to uninstall all game and install again. Downloaded SWTOR_setup file from main page and now i can't install the game. Setup file is opening window with info - Host_IEVersionFail, so i turn off antivirus and firewalls and.... nothing happened, stil the same info. A few days ago everything was working, so someone must create "the best launcher in the world". Could enyone help with this ****? I would be very grateful for help. Or i go unsub, why to pay money for something that don't work. Sorry for my english, didn't use for eleven years. Best regards.

• Like 2

• Dev Post

Hello everyone, 

Update from the team. 

We have been looking at the issues that players have reported. After researching and replicating these issues locally, we have the following suggestions/fixes for players:

Nothing happens when you click on play or the play button is grayed out:

• This usually means that an external application (like an antivirus) is stopping the launcher from running the SWTOR game client. This launcher was a big upgrade and sometimes antiviruses see these differences on game executables and block them. Most antiviruses offer “exclusions” or “exceptions” that you can add to allow or permit applications. Usually, these options are found on settings.
  • Once you go to your antivirus settings, add the exception/exclusion and make sure you add your SWTOR install directory to this list. This will make sure that you can run the game client without an external application stopping it.
  • The usual install directory is on C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
  • If this doesn’t work, then a full uninstall and a reinstall will be needed.

Launcher upgrade fails and crashes:

• We have seen issues with some BitRaider installations. If you still have a BitRaider folder in your install location, delete it and relaunch the launcher.
  • The usual install directory is on C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\BitRaider
  • If after deleting your BitRaider folder you can’t restart the launcher, you can repair it by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

• This is a very similar issue to #1 as there are some files of the launcher that can’t be called because they are being blocked by an external source. Make sure that you allow or permit the installation directory on exclusions/exceptions of your antivirus but also, that you add the swtorlaunch.dll file as well. 
  • This file is located inside your installation folder, C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtorlaunch.dll
  • If this doesn’t work, then a full uninstall and a reinstall will be needed. Note: you can also save your app data before a full uninstall. It is typically on C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Launcher freezes, crashes or shows a white screen: 

• It may mean that your computer crashed during the upgrade. You can repair it by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

Launch error: Code 964:

• This is an Operating System error, so chances are that your computer crashed during upgrade. You need to repair your launcher installation by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

Launch error: Code 961

• This is a timeout error and that usually means that there may be connection issues. Close the launcher and try again. You may need to repair your launcher installation by downloading the latest installer from our website and running the launcher again.

Important note: In the event you must perform a reinstall, you can save your app data before a full uninstall. It is typically on C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings to be later restored in that same location after reinstalling the game.

If none of the above works for you, please let us know as your scenario could be a unique situation and we will work together on troubleshooting further. 

Thank you

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hello everyone, 

Update from the team. 

We have been looking at the issues that players have reported. After researching and replicating these issues locally, we have the following suggestions/fixes for players:

• This usually means that an external application (like an antivirus) is stopping the launcher from running the SWTOR game client. This launcher was a big upgrade and sometimes antiviruses see these differences on game executables and block them. Most antiviruses offer “exclusions” or “exceptions” that you can add to allow or permit applications. Usually, these options are found on settings.
  • Once you go to your antivirus settings, add the exception/exclusion and make sure you add your SWTOR install directory to this list. This will make sure that you can run the game client without an external application stopping it.
  • The usual install directory is on C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

• We have seen issues with some BitRaider installations. If you still have a BitRaider folder in your install location, delete it and relaunch the launcher.
  • The usual install directory is on C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\BitRaider
  • If after deleting your BitRaider folder you can’t restart the launcher, you can repair it by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

• This is a very similar issue to #1 as there are some files of the launcher that can’t be called because they are being blocked by an external source. Make sure that you allow or permit the installation directory on exclusions/exceptions of your antivirus but also, that you add the swtorlaunch.dll file as well. 
  • This file is located inside your installation folder, C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtorlaunch.dll
  • If this doesn’t work, then a full uninstall and a reinstall will be needed. Note: you can also save your app data before a full uninstall. It is typically on C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

• It may mean that your computer crashed during the upgrade. You can repair it by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

• This is an Operating System error, so chances are that your computer crashed during upgrade. You need to repair your launcher installation by downloading the latest installer from our website and try again.

• This is a timeout error and that usually means that there may be connection issues. Close the launcher and try again. You may need to repair your launcher installation by downloading the latest installer from our website and running the launcher again.

Important note: In the event you must perform a reinstall, you can save your app data before a full uninstall. It is typically on C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings to be later restored in that same location after reinstalling the game.

If none of the above works for you, please let us know as your scenario could be a unique situation and we will work together on troubleshooting further. 

Thank you

The game should work without the players having to go into their own antivirus software and fixing it themselves. Thats IT work your making random people do. 

I suggest you fix your launcher that we didn't really ask for.... 

So that all people have to do is click install. If your making people do IT work that sais something about the company here. Do the players also need to learn how to code? 

Fix the launcher yourselves I say please. Dont let us do the work for you.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hello everyone, 

Update from the team. 

Thank you

@JackieKo @CommunityTeam Any progress on addressing the "Host_WindowLoadTimeout" error message problem, which appears AFTER install, and when TRYING to install (or reinstall, as in my case)?

Edited by Coirbidh
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hello everyone, 

Update from the team. 

Thank you

I haven't antiviruses or any programs that block them, but i try ...

Fresh install on Windows (& Linux) has no effect

process swtor.exe is launched by launcher.exe, but exit

Hello everyone, 

Update from the team. 

• This usually means that an external application (like an antivirus) is stopping the launcher from running the SWTOR game client. This launcher was a big upgrade and sometimes antiviruses see these differences on game executables and block them. Most antiviruses offer “exclusions” or “exceptions” that you can add to allow or permit applications. Usually, these options are found on settings.

That's all well and good, but even Whitelisted and placed in exceptions, the launcher does something that triggers my A/V software to stop it.

Whatever went around the 14" October really upset my Anti Virus.  The new launcher had been working fine before that.  Just to add, wont launch via Steam either.  Only way to enable the game to run is to disable the A/V software, launch the game, then alt-tab out to re-enable the A/V.

Edited by LordBritain
Cleaning.

I use McAfee live AV, which is generally game-friendly.  I also use Malware Bytes as a backup.  I disabled the McAfee firewall with no effect on the launcher.  Then I also disabled the AV scanner, also to no avail.  Then I disabled the Malware Bytes, and the launcher still doesn’t launch.

With GS3 starting I didn’t want to get too far behind, so I installed Steam.  I didn’t want to get another user ID and password, and I shouldn’t have to go to a third party to bypass BioWare’s crippled launcher.

The steam installer went into an infinite do-loop on the account installation, asking for a Captcha, and then refusing to take it.  I opened the website to create the account and that worked where the installation application wouldn’t.  I can get into the game via Steam, but it’s not going to un-cancel the account.

@bioware

So, is there any News for users that have nothing happens after press play button ?

Could you upload a new version with more logs for us ?

Any ideas why i see this on my terminal " | Variable USERNAME cleared." any relations with bug ? "|" is very strange and i've not this message before this new launcher

• Like 1

@-Fabien-, as @racknut perfectly put it earlier,

On 10/19/2022 at 4:08 AM, racknut said:

Given the silence from customer support [@CommunitySupport and @CommunityTeam] and @JackieKo, I think we are on our own. Their silence on this matter speaks volumes.

(Emphasis and brackets mine)

It really does speak volumes, @racknut; it really does.

The way I see it, they haven't responded since Friday either: a) because they don't have an answer; b) because the EA higher-ups don't care (we're the acceptable "broken eggs" for their new launcher "omelette"); or c) both.

The second month of my prepaid two-month subscription started a few days ago; I'm really starting to get ticked off.

To be clear, I don't think it's fair to direct our anger entirely at @JackieKo, @CommunitySupport, and @CommunityTeam. In fact, I think they deserve relatively little of our blame. I know that they are constantly bombarded with mentions and PMs, and it takes a while to get to everyone. I'm sure everyone here is aware that the SWTOR division of BioWare Austin, and BioWare Austin itself, operate as a skeleton crew on what appears to be little more than a shoestring budget. I do not envy the position that they are in.

But really, EA, this mess and ensuing silence are just not workable as a business model. For the money we pay you and the product we receive ("year of content" my &@%)—for all the hard work your limited SWTOR team tries to do with what relatively little resources they have—this is very poor customer service indeed. Your ship seems quite clearly to be, as the sea dogs of old would say, held together with spit and hope. Pretty soon we're all going to bail out before it sinks.

EA: the paying customers deserve better, and your hard-working team deserves better. Please, please—invest more time and money in your SWTOR and BioWare Austin teams. Hire more support staff to handle the bug reports and complaints, and to respond to us to let us know we're heard. Hire more and/or better devs so that every update doesn't seem like "one step forward, two steps back." FIX THIS.

Edited by Coirbidh
  • Like 4

w

10/25/2022 2:57:30 PM
Behavior Blocker detected suspicious behavior "TrojanDownloader" of F:\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor.exe (SHA1: FF256C5E6DF4908CAF03EB874EB107C44C25A91A)

elp...... it crashes my system to a reboot, AV software detects it as a trogan  and blocks swtor.exe

• Dev Post
On 10/21/2022 at 9:48 PM, Coirbidh said:

@JackieKo @CommunityTeam Any progress on addressing the "Host_WindowLoadTimeout" error message problem, which appears AFTER install, and when TRYING to install (or reinstall, as in my case)?

Hi Coirbidh, please send logs to the Support team, so we the team can take a look into what's happening. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Dev Post
18 hours ago, Kantook said:

w

10/25/2022 2:57:30 PM
Behavior Blocker detected suspicious behavior "TrojanDownloader" of F:\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor.exe (SHA1: FF256C5E6DF4908CAF03EB874EB107C44C25A91A)

elp...... it crashes my system to a reboot, AV software detects it as a trogan  and blocks swtor.exe

Please add that to your allowlist as noted here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Please add that to your allowlist as noted here

@JackieKo I tried adding to my Whitelist, didn't make a jot of difference.  Still have to disable my A/V to launch the game.  Was fine until the 14th October. 

Have tried both Steam & New Launcher with the same results.  At least I have a work around, shouldn't have to though.

In case this helps anyone else here, or on the BioWare side of things (@JackieKo, @CommunityTeam, and/or @CommunitySupport), here is my host.developer.log:

1. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 Log Level: DEBUG
  2. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 Version: 6.1.0.149
  3. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 File Version: 6.1.2.30
  4. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 Product Version: Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher 6.1.0.149
  5. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 Company: BioWare
  6. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.exe" --debug
  7. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - No desktop shell is present
  8. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Unable to open desktop user key, defaulting to current user
  9. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 INFO - System: Windows NT 6.1.7601.17514 32bit
  10. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 INFO - Elevated: true
  11. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 INFO - Process Id: 32
  12. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Intranet IP: ***REDACTED***
  13. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Machine Name: ***REDACTED***
  14. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Machine Id: ***REDACTED***
  15. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Session Id: e5c185c4f78b4342b9372dc26e42f7d1
  16. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added read only registry path to whitelist (machine\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\)
  17. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added read only registry path to whitelist (user\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\)
  18. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (127.0.0.1)
  19. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Opening deprecated app config app.json. Consider migrating to app.yaml.
  20. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (54.205.151.73)
  21. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (cdn.solidstatenetworks.net)
  22. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (d303dzhguvwbav.cloudfront.net)
  23. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (netstorage.solidstatenetworks.com)
  24. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (solidstatenetworks.net)
  25. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (support.solidstatenetworks.com)
  26. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (www.solidstatenetworks.com)
  27. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (feed.solidstatenetworks.com)
  28. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (snxd.akamaized.net)
  29. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (qa.solidstatenetworks.com)
  30. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (qa.snxd.com)
  31. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (auth.snxd.com)
  32. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (axis.snxd.com)
  33. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (capi.snxd.com)
  34. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (solidstatenetworks.akamaized.net)
  35. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (wasabi.solidstatenetworks.com)
  36. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (wasabi-https.akamaized.net)
  37. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (bioware-akamai.aws.snxd.com)
  38. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (bioware-akamai.aws.snxd.com.akamaized.net)
  39. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (cdn-patch.swtor.com)
  40. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com)
  41. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com)
  42. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (www.swtor.com)
  43. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (patchnotes.swtor.com)
  44. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (cdn-d6patch.swtor.com)
  45. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (ts9a.swtor.com)
  46. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - Added host to whitelist (launchpad.swtor.com)
  47. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - SkinWebServer.01fcd878 - WebServer.01fcd900 - Running [36]
  48. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 DEBUG - SkinWebServer.01fcd878 - WebServer.01fcd900 - Listening for incoming connections (127.0.0.1:53182)
  49. 10/26/2022 12:31:56 INFO - CEF 75.1.14+gc81164e+chromium-75.0.3770.100
  50. 10/26/2022 12:31:59 DEBUG - Crash reporting enabled
  51. 10/26/2022 12:31:59 DEBUG - Failed to localize (STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™)
  52. 10/26/2022 12:31:59 DEBUG - NotificationEndPoint.e742deaa - WebServer.01fb21b0 - Running [36]
  53. 10/26/2022 12:31:59 DEBUG - NotificationEndPoint.e742deaa - WebServer.01fb21b0 - Listening for incoming connections (127.0.0.1:53183)
  54. 10/26/2022 12:31:59 DEBUG - WorkflowManager - Overall Progress - -2.00 (0)
  55. 10/26/2022 12:32:29 ERROR - Timeout waiting for window to load
  56. 10/26/2022 12:32:29 DEBUG - Failed to localize (Host)
  57. 10/26/2022 12:32:29 DEBUG - Failed to localize (Host_WindowLoadTimeout)
  58. 10/26/2022 12:33:10 DEBUG - SkinWebServer.01fcd878 - WebServer.01fcd900 - Uptime - 1m 14s 0684ms
  59. 10/26/2022 12:33:10 DEBUG - NotificationEndPoint.e742deaa - WebServer.01fb21b0 - Uptime - 1m 11s 0351ms
  60. 10/26/2022 12:33:10 INFO - Exit Code - 0

As you can see, I also get the "Host_WindowLoadTimeout" error notification.

Edited by Coirbidh
Formatting

That looks exactly like what I posted several days ago and sent to Support. They have obviously made no progress on it if they are still asking for the same information. smh. This is getting really frustrating after more than a month of intermittent interrupted play, no answers, and no compensation for lost subscription time.

Edited by racknut
  • Like 1

Ok, still don't know what to do. Can't install game from SWTOR_setup.exe file from main page. Still instalation launcher give me window with info - Host_IEVersionFail. Sadly, after 5 years of playing, only because something like a "launcher problem" happened i can't play and can't have fun with my guild mates. Must going to unsub. sorry. One day maybe i'll be back.

• Sad 1