Legacy Ignore is a Bad Idea

kevinrex

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the OP is one of the people that will be legacy blocked by a ton of people....why else would they be mad at this

IMO ... some folks just want to complain. That's their right (when it gets right down to it)

As a community "legacy ignore" has been requested for some time now. There are two sides to the coin. As long as the "legacy names" are still private (leaving alt character names anonymous) the system should do quite well.

Even then ... some will always find fault.

I’ve only ever ignored credit farmers or personally abusive trolls. Most of my ignores were credit farmers. Since the legacy ignore feature was added, I’ve about 40 that just say unknown legacy. I’m assuming these are all the credits spammers I ignored over the years as I rolled new alts on starter worlds.

I’ve only ever ignored credit farmers or personally abusive trolls. Most of my ignores were credit farmers. Since the legacy ignore feature was added, I’ve about 40 that just say unknown legacy. I’m assuming these are all the credits spammers I ignored over the years as I rolled new alts on starter worlds.

The credit farmers I turn in as spammers ... etc.

The REALLY obscene and trolls that go out of their way to hammer people in chat ... they get an "ignore" .

The credit farmers I turn in as spammers ... etc.

The REALLY obscene and trolls that go out of their way to hammer people in chat ... they get an "ignore" .

I turn the credit spammers in as well. But then put on ignore so I don’t have keep seeing them. For some reason they really grind my gears more than gen chat trolls.

What’s funny is all the others I’ve got on ignore now because with 56 alts, you only need 1 or 2 ignores each and you’ve got close to 100 ignores, LoL

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Waiting for update so I can't check but, if I recall correctly, I have ignored very few people (5, I think?) since I started playing SWTOR back when level 50 was the top level. The ones that I have ignored are those who have either kicked me from the Dread Palace Op (whose behavior was so bad before they kicked me that I actually swore off Ops because of them) or people who were just staggeringly bigoted. I don't even ignore credit farmers so you can probably guess how crappy a player has to be before I bring the axe down.

As such, I welcome this change.

Yes this is a welcomed feature. Good job BW!

This community houses so much trolls and there should be tools present to protect yourself from this.

Legacy ban should not only work in chat, but also in guild. Now when you ban a troll from your guild, system removes all his characters from your roster, but troll can return with another alt from the same lagacy. So GM has to keep a hardcopy list of banned legacies, and what happens when troll changes his legacy name?

Now time for step 2, asked by community years ago - Stalker's list, so called "friends list".

Right now stalkers can add you to their "stalker's list" just to track your online activity, know when you are at home, without your consent or knowledge.

This should be changed ASAP. There should be friends request sent and other player should accept it first (or not).

In 2019 I left a guild, and one of these guys stalked me IRL. One of them knew where I live and they were able to know when I am at home thanks to "stalker's list". I had to call cops to sort this out.

Trolls/freaks/serial killers just add you to their list and harass you using their "backup legacy".

Friend's list should be fixed ASAP, there is so much talk about privacy these days, I doubt that "friends list" in it's current shape is even in compliance with EU law.

So GM has to keep a hardcopy list of banned legacies

Not sure where this requirement comes from. As a GL, when I go into the ban list, everyone I've banned is listed right there against the day that I might un-ban someone. No need to keep a separate list.

Edited by xordevoreaux

This community houses so much trolls and there should be tools present to protect yourself from this.

I'd have to disagree, yes we do have trolls, but I'd say it's only a small percentage, you sentence makes it sounds like we been overrun with them. The ignore does help deal with them (mostly)

Right now stalkers can add you to their "stalker's list" just to track your online activity, know when you are at home, without your consent or knowledge.

This should be changed ASAP. There should be friends request sent and other player should accept it first (or not).

Does it matter if they know you are online at the time? It's not as if they can reach in to your screen and get you. Just knowing your online doesn't give them access to any other information.

In 2019 I left a guild, and one of these guys stalked me IRL. One of them knew where I live and they were able to know when I am at home thanks to "stalker's list". I had to call cops to sort this out.

Trolls/freaks/serial killers just add you to their list and harass you using their "backup legacy".

Again, the friends list doesn't give this information away, you must have given it to them.

Friend's list should be fixed ASAP, there is so much talk about privacy these days, I doubt that "friends list" in it's current shape is even in compliance with EU law.

I'm sure if it was in contravention to EU law, the BW/EA lawyers would have sorted it out.

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. Hopefully the cops sorted it. Did BW/EA do anything to the player? Or rather, I know they won't tell you, but did the harassment stop?

Legacy ignore is too antisocial for an mmo like swtor. Swtor encourages altism with the legacy perks, buffs, heroic moment, and ch1-3 story. Altism is one of the things that makes swtor fun. Legacy ignore COMPLETELY blocks a player. Blocking a toon is fine, but blocking a player is cruel and very antisocial. This change was brought about because 2020 sucks cuz of covid and election,<------those r the things that made blocking a player seem like a good idea and not the awful, cruel, and antisocial idea that it is.

It's one of the best additions to the game since launch...and I have a HUGE freaking list of awesome additions since launch.

If you don't want to be blocked, play nicely on ALL your toons.

So, you guys realize this is a <Redacted> post, and you just dove right in and fed this <Redacted> a buffet...

Probably started that way, but decent people hijacked it, and had some interesting convos in it, so it doesn't really matter. If the admins aren't going to remove it as a <Redacted> post, nothing wrong with us chatting about the ingore feature, and having fun ;)

For my taste the legacy ignore function is not going far enough.

On the german server we have this one dude, who literally owns everything. He dictates prices. He buys up everything and list it again at insane amounts. For example we have hypercrates listed at 850 million atm. Everything beneath is immediatly bought and relisted. I know buying and reselling is a reasonable market strategy. And i'm fine with that. But if you have the funds to triple all prices and all what is stoping you, is the maximum amount you can list items at, something has to be done. Apart from that, it's an open secret that these toons, this one legacy, is funding multiple creditseller sites.

Why am i not allowed to legacy ignore this guy AND everything he owns and sells will not show for me on the GTN? He even mocks people on a different toon, and wants to convince people that he is the nice guy and sells hypercrates for „only“ 600+ million.

Please let me ignore him, and everything he lists on the GTN. Thanks,

Please let me ignore him, and everything he lists on the GTN. Thanks

If Legacy Ignore affected the GTN, a year from now with Legacy Ignore in place, no one would be able to buy anything because we couldn't see each other on the GTN.

There's a point where this mommy-he's-looking-at-me mentality needs to give way to the fact that we need to function in the game, especially engaging with the GTN.

If you somehow are in a mental pissing contest with this guy, that's between the two of you, or maybe just you in your mind and he's not really aware of you even care that you exist at all, but here you are on the forum requesting changes to a new feature that would have profound and unfortunate unintended consequences for the rest of us.

No thanks.

Please let me ignore him, and everything he lists on the GTN. Thanks

This idea gets worse the more I think about it.

Consider. Let's say that I piss you off on the forums. So, you decide out of spite to /ignore my character named Xordevoreaux, which exists as a level 1 placeholder on every server.

You just ignored all of my high-dollar GTN mules selling crap you're probably not going to find too much of elsewhere, like end-game mods and augments. Maybe some not-so-high-end stuff, but stuff you were wanting.

Same too with other players you get spiteful with who have GTN mules who never see play time but just exist to sell stuff.

And the reverse is true. You get pissy with someone on the GTN, you don't like how they're selling stuff because they're prices are too high, too low, whatever... and /ignore that toon... you just cut yourself off from all of that person's PvP toons, or Ops toons, or flashpoint toons, toons that maybe you liked to run with, but had no idea that GTN mule was in any way related to those other characters.

Think your suggestion through again.

Legacy ignore should NOT affect the GTN.

Edited by xordevoreaux

/snip

No, for everything xor has said, I agree with him 100%

Also, if the guy is selling hypercrates for so much, the people on the german server have to stop buying them. When stuff starts going for crazy prices, it will take people power to stop it. Ignore won't fix it, the devs won't/can't fix it, it's up to the players to say no, and stop. If I could list hypercrates for 800 mill, I would, but if people stopped buying them, I'd soon stop, and start to drop my prices.

Please let me ignore him, and everything he lists on the GTN. Thanks,

I would take that function, and raise you a full embargo - full legacy GTN block so they could not buy your stuff either.

odds of them ever working out such mechanics and us seeing anything that affects blocking buy/sell of the GTN will never happen, but if one is going to go nuclear anyways...

Legacy ignore is too antisocial for an mmo like swtor. Swtor encourages altism with the legacy perks, buffs, heroic moment, and ch1-3 story. Altism is one of the things that makes swtor fun. Legacy ignore COMPLETELY blocks a player. Blocking a toon is fine, but blocking a player is cruel and very antisocial. This change was brought about because 2020 sucks cuz of covid and election,<------those r the things that made blocking a player seem like a good idea and not the awful, cruel, and antisocial idea that it is.

When I logged in, I went to my ignore list which had been converted to Legacy Ignore. In the past, I've ignored the Korri, DK, and Fleet Gen chat political trolls. Some for names like <Ilikebuttsxx> which I find childish, and they are usually chat trolls too. There have also been those who have have chosen to make political names trolling chat. Then you have the racists, sexists, etc etc folk who think it's funny to troll chat in this manner.

Since my before ignore list, now legacy ignore list, I'm wondering how many players out there made these toss away toons to vent, troll, etc. etc, now find themselves legacy ignored by "regular players"? How many hardcore raiders won't find groups because they got ignored by large numbers of those launching raids? Are they going to pay now for their trolling toons? I almost feel sorry for them.

Since this patch, I have noticed a HUGE change in general chat channels. HUGE change. It's almost like a different game. I've seen a couple toss out troll comments, and someone will post something "TY Legacy Ignore" and then that person either complains, corrects, or just shuts up.

I'm considering clearing my ignore lists for a fresh start. Don't know though.

I'm considering clearing my ignore lists for a fresh start. Don't know though.

That's what I did, cleared out my entire ignore list to start over, mainly because I'm not sure when EA nukes an account for gold spamming / reports whether that process then circles back and updates our ignore list. Suspecting that it doesn't, I cleaned it out.

That's what I did, cleared out my entire ignore list to start over, mainly because I'm not sure when EA nukes an account for gold spamming / reports whether that process then circles back and updates our ignore list. Suspecting that it doesn't, I cleaned it out.

I did the same, had nearly 200 'Unknown' legacies (probably gold sellers), the rest probably trolls. Started fresh, and within the first min I had my first re ignore.

Edited by DarkTergon

I'm going to have to hard-disagree on this. I'm usually not someone who puts people on ignore for minor things such as a dungeon flame, considering that everyone can have a bad day and I don't really like to clutter my (limited) ignore list like that, but I do so when I know for a fact I absolutely don't want to talk to them.

I disagree that an ignore list is entirely anti-social. It's a tool to regulate your social circle. Even IRL, you probably have people you don't want to talk to anymore. It's the same principle. And an apology can't simply fix every behaviour out there. If someone was harassing me or doing something reprehensive like making racist/homophobic comments, I don't want them to apologize either. I want CS to look at it and not talk to them ever again.

I get that this seems a very "cut and dry" stance, but this is an entertainment medium, not a political debate. People should have the ability to curate their entertainment medium in a way that makes them comfortable.

I ended up purging my entire list and starting fresh.

There were those unknown legacies but also some of very old entries I had on some toons contained people I play with now. On some days I also sometimes placed people I didn’t want to queue with because they were really bad l, kept popping in gf and I wanted fast clears but they’ve learned to play now and are no longer running like headless chickens. I also suppose that after all the years, some have gained maturity. One evening someone may have been a bit annoying (light trolling only, American politics, or RPers taking too much chat space) on the fleet on one toon but ok at other times. It didn’t matter much when such people ended up on the list of one of 40 toons but when all the lists got merged it changed things.

What would be really nice is the possibility to add a comment beside each name, a bit like for the guild roster. I’d like to be able to enter the reason and the date because in some cases I do not mean it to be permanent. A very bad player can get decent in a matter of days, American politics in the chat will hopefully diminish soon, but I have no pity for people calling others names, racist/misogynistic idiots and creepy ERPers that whisper you their sexual fantasies. Still for those people BW should have more active moderation especially since this is a PG-13 game.

I tend not to put all the credit spammers there as they don’t last very long and can use up a lot of space.

Edited by Eriamea