Legacy Ignore is a Bad Idea

kevinrex

If there is ANY reason that could be stated as to the potential problems with legacy ignore, it is going to be a RP one.

Many players in the RP community have alts they make to hide upon and get away from it from time to time. With Legacy Ignore, you can now check people's legacies and find those alts. The ability for people to keep their secrets is going to be much harder. This only gets worse when you add in relationships and RP romances. I am predicting fireworks in time because many will view this as an invasion of privacy to which they have become accustomed to.

I also support having the option to toon ignore vs legacy ignore. The basic example is one I used often myself.

People I know liked to make alts and tease me by getting on and chatting me up on a new alt. They would tell me I know their main but not say who. That was, anyway, until I started ignoring their new alts. At that point they would get upset and feel bad because they then felt like they had let me down, which they had. They would get on their main and tell me who they are. Then I could remove the alt from ignore.

Now, I can't do that nearly so nicely. Yes, I can legacy ignore and see who they are without them having to swap, but doing so will also purge ALL of their toons I have on friends, off of it and strip any keys I may have given out. This then means I have to go back and re-add each toon and tell them I legacy checked them and need to re-hand out SH keys to them.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you want to block a player on one of their characters but not another? Do you think they act / play differently on different characters?

this person... unacceptable behavior... while wearing a rabbit mask, but hey! Now he took off the rabbit mask to put on a squirrel mask, so I guess he's okay now that he's wearing a different mask. We can be friends.

#mrobviouscalled

use it, or don't, its your choice. its called free will. so long as your choices or actions do not affect another in an unwanted manner, you can go do whatever you want. just like its mine to ignore you for whatever reason i want.

Edited by Kaveat

Not really. Ignoring someone now gives you the message "You are now ignoring Unknown Legacy", and, similarly, "Unknown Legacy" is what shows up in your Ignore list.

That means the person in question has not yet set a Legacy name.

Edit: Those are the people you see on a guild roster who show up with a blank or empty legacy name.

I have 3 on my list right now. All 3 show a name.

Edited by Maddhawk

Edit: Those are the people you see on a guild roster who show up with a blank or empty legacy name.

Generally it means it's a new player, credit spammer, or a troll who doesn't want to use his main.

Fair enough though the general principle still applies. You don't know who those people are when they get on an alt. They'll simply still be ignored.

Even still, I want the OPTION to ignore just a character versus ignoring their entire Legacy.

It's ok to have that opinion but you're not going to get it. If you noticed, how it works now is that the ignore lists of all your characters have been combined into one. So you ignore a legacy with your legacy. Great stuff for people with lots of alts and such.

However, that means that ignore now works in an entirely different manner and wouldn't allow for you to use it for what you want. So yeah, it's fine to want what you want, but it's not going to happen. Especially considering the point that most people are happy with this change.

Of the thousand or whatever changes in this latest patch, this one, Legacy Ignore, doesn't nerf any class ability, doesn't take away any pvp dps, doesn't change the look of any armor, doesn't cap any item mods, it literally does not affect anyone's gameplay except for the person who chooses to use it.

Yet so many are coming out against it. I don't understand it. The only reason I can think of to say that LI is a bad idea, is because you are the type of person who runs their mouth reckless in general chat, knowing you are going to be ignored. But that was ok, because you could always hop on another character and pretend to be a nice person.

I've put 3 on LI so far. Just 3. And the difference in general chat is amazing. I'm loving it. Well worth my $15 bucks a month not to have to listen to some pimply faced kids 5 minute repertoire of poop jokes before launching into how he wants to take everyone's mom over the edge of the couch and do butt stuff to her.

Well done DEVS.

If there is ANY reason that could be stated as to the potential problems with legacy ignore, it is going to be a RP one.

Many players in the RP community have alts they make to hide upon and get away from it from time to time. With Legacy Ignore, you can now check people's legacies and find those alts. The ability for people to keep their secrets is going to be much harder.

Legacies names are not unique however are they? What’s to say someone or several people don’t have the same name as you? You can’t know for 100% but it still leaves room for privacy. But I understand your point even though I’m not sure what secrets are revealed as I don’t rp

Legacies names are not unique however are they? What’s to say someone or several people don’t have the same name as you? You can’t know for 100% but it still leaves room for privacy. But I understand your point even though I’m not sure what secrets are revealed as I don’t rp

Legacy names at one point in time were unique, but not any more.

BW has hidden numbers attached to our accounts. So while the the name we see is not unique, BW associates this hidden number so if we ignore a certain player that hidden number will be attached to the legacy name.

Seriously, am I the only one who see's the original post as a Troll :rak_02:

Please don't feed the Trolls.

I'm sort of with you on this.

The only thing I see that is needed ... could be the possibility of more space for "Legacy Ignore" ?? Maybe ?

At any rate ...

Things will eventually sort itself out.

With a Legacy name and achievement point count, you can be 95% sure who someone is.

As to what secrets people have? Mainly has to do with relationships if you get my meaning. A LOT of drama can be had there. Personally, I am a dancer and a healer. I also show my legacy name as my last name. I have nothing to hide. Others though...totaly different story.

Seriously, am I the only one who see's the original post as a Troll :rak_02:

Please don't feed the Trolls.

Nope, I think you are dead on

Or more specifically, we got ourselves a habitual troll who just found a significant number of his troll avenues blocked and is salty about it.

Next step, account ignore shared between the game and forums...

I actually ran into a Copy of my Legacy name a while back, including character name with a letter deviation on Satele Shan Server. My concern is that if anyone has a copy as I do on Satele Shan Server, how does one know that in all fairness the "Right" Legacy is ignored. I work hard to be a good player and kind and keep my nose clean as one would say and don't want to be caught in that trap that may exist...

Legacy ignore is too antisocial for an mmo like swtor. Swtor encourages altism with the legacy perks, buffs, heroic moment, and ch1-3 story. Altism is one of the things that makes swtor fun. Legacy ignore COMPLETELY blocks a player. Blocking a toon is fine, but blocking a player is cruel and very antisocial. This change was brought about because 2020 sucks cuz of covid and election,<------those r the things that made blocking a player seem like a good idea and not the awful, cruel, and antisocial idea that it is.

I am going to have to disagree with you there are lots of legit reasons for legacy ignore. It is a feature that players have asked for for a long time. There are many reasons to block an entire legacy, none of which have to do with being anti social. I know of several people who were harassed by people they would simply go from alt to alt to harass them. This feature has nothing to do with covid or the election. I have a friend that had this feature been in the game three years ago perhaps she would still be playing, she just left the game rather than continue to deal with the harassment she was getting. You are free to not like the feature but there are many people who are extremely happy about this feature.

I actually ran into a Copy of my Legacy name a while back, including character name with a letter deviation on Satele Shan Server. My concern is that if anyone has a copy as I do on Satele Shan Server, how does one know that in all fairness the "Right" Legacy is ignored. I work hard to be a good player and kind and keep my nose clean as one would say and don't want to be caught in that trap that may exist...

My understanding from when they did server merges is that your actual legacy name is a lot longer than what appears in game that there is additional information tied to it so that people cannot be confused.