Item Stack Resale Exploit

EricMusco

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

Here is the first update on use of the stacked item sale exploit. As of this afternoon we have sent out our initial set of warnings, suspensions, and permanent bans for accounts participating in this exploit. I say initial, because it was important to action the accounts and prevent any further damage to the economy.

WARNINGS?!? You gotta be kidding me.... Just like the chair exploit... 3 day ban and back at it... What are you guys the Raiders? If you ain't cheating you ain't trying?

I am 100% glad that this exploit was fixed, and I fully support not discussing exploits publicly on the forums for the most part. I am also quite happy that the people who where exploiting this error are getting the punishments that they deserve.

I am disappointed though that this was not thoroughly tested before it got onto the live servers. If you would just start to push patches to the Public Test Server then errors like this could be tested, found and discussed publicly on the section of the forums dedicated to the PTS. Please BioWare I love the Star Wars universe and want to continue to play this game, but if you aren't going to take the need to test seriously I'm going to be leaving permanently at the end of my sub time in less than 90 days.

WARNINGS?!? You gotta be kidding me.... Just like the chair exploit... 3 day ban and back at it... What are you guys the Raiders? If you ain't cheating you ain't trying?

Warnings make sense if the person wasn't doing it repeatedly. Granted if I did it and realized what happened I would have sent in a bug report, but still there is that off chance that someone did it without realizing what happened. Don't over react as if everyone is a cheater like those silly Fooseball players.

So, you are saying that whales will get off lightly if they happen to be one of the more egregious exploiters simply because they drop stacks of cash on the game? I'm sorry but the idea of that is sickening to me. If anything, banhammering a couple of whales would go a long way towards making it clear that cheating and exploiting of any kind will not be tolerated no matter who you are.

Does BW have the balls to do it? Would we even know if they did? We may never know the answer to either of those questions. I would hope BW would have the stones to back up their policy with action. I'd also wager if a whale (or whales) were to be heavily actioned (all credits etc wiped) or permabanned, they would go public somewhere with cries of "You can't do this to me! I spend thousands of dollars on packs every day!!!!" I would welcome the chance to laugh at them.

I would also give Bioware an epic high-five for having a spine and showing some integrity. It's a lot easier to support a company like that with my sub fee than one who lets people slide simply because they choose to throw cash at them.

No I'm not saying that at all.

What I am saying is that those in the 'ban them all and ban them for good' crowd are not thinking straight as Bioware is a business, and a business has to consider impacts to its bottom line in its decisions.

An account which spends hundreds a month on this game and used the exploit to get a few gifts for themselves but didn't generate credits is probably not someone Bioware wants to lose, regardless of how you or I feel, and thus will probably get a suspension or warning.

At the same time, I would expect accounts that generated a billion credits while posting stacks and stacks of gifts on the GTN flaunting the exploit will get banned permanently, regardless of how much they spend.

In both cases though, I am saying that Bioware will consider their bottom line, including the potential loss of revenue, in making those decisions.

eric, is it possible to answer a question? Someone is sending me and others in my guild exploited items from characters that are named similar to ours. This person has sent stacks so far to more than one person. CS isn't being helpful so far, can you assure us that this won't affect us? So far we deleted the mails containing the items, but this person or persons seems rather adamant on getting us banned.

Top right corner of mail window is a "report" button, click that on every mail you receive from them

...I can only reiterate, if you discover an exploit, do not use it...

-eric

So if you're the one to have discovered an exploit how can you not have used it at least once? hehe :D

I know I know.

BioWare would never do it, but I would be a little interested in seeing a post from them about past exploits that were in the game (but are no longer) and how, specifically, they worked. I'm always interested when I hear of an exploit what it involved because I'm curious about what lengths people are going to to try and discover them.

This was all a massive conspiracy to buy out Cartel stuff, remove it from the player who bought it, let the player who sold it keep their creds. Then encourage the player base to buy more Cartel stuff and Bioware cashes in on it, has to be the only pure explanation for why it wasn't contained when they were notified by Potato and others.

Greedy greedy greedy.

Hey folks,

As of today’s patch, we fixed the following bug: It is no longer possible to purchase a stack of items and resell individual items for the price of the entire stack.

In a previous exploit, we were very up front and very public about its existence. We raised warnings as soon as we discovered the issue associated with the Temple Chair, with the hopes our players would not use it. What we discovered, were many players using a variety of ways to try and mask what they were doing and who they were. So, this time, we returned to removing visibility until we resolved it.

This bug created an exploit where a player could make large quantities of various currencies in the game with minimal effort. Use of the bug in this manner is something we absolutely consider an exploit. We are looking over the data of players who participated, and to what degree. We will begin taking action against accounts within the next few days. Action that will be taken includes:

• Suspension, up to and including permanent suspension
  • Removal of credits
  • Removal of Commendations and other currency
  • Removal of Companion affection

I can only reiterate, if you discover an exploit, do not use it. Report it to the team immediately. You can do so via an in-game /bug or feel free to PM myself or Tait about it on the forums. Please, do not post about it publicly.

Thanks everyone. I will pass on updates as I have them.

-eric

How about fixing the damn exploit, quit fast and in a hurry instead of punishing people for availing themselves to them.

Can't believe how many people in this thread don't think the hard core exploiters should be perma banned. When a guild bank balance can go from 80 million credits to over 1 billion in a month and a half this is not a minor issue or just a handful of trouble makers. This is a large group of people intent on destroying the game.

If these rocket scientists have figured out how to launder the credit trail rest assured they have also figured out how to spam as a gold seller and those silly credits turn into real dollars. That folks is both fraud and theft.

Guilds with a massive influx of credits over the past month tied to this should be dissolved and the GM's perma banned if they were logged in and had any guild bank deposits or withdrawls tied to their toons. As a guild leader if you are present in the game you are responsible for the actions of your followers.

Can't believe how many people in this thread don't think the hard core exploiters should be perma banned. When a guild bank balance can go from 80 million credits to over 1 billion in a month and a half this is not a minor issue or just a handful of trouble makers. This is a large group of people intent on destroying the game.

If these rocket scientists have figured out how to launder the credit trail rest assured they have also figured out how to spam as a gold seller and those silly credits turn into real dollars. That folks is both fraud and theft.

Guilds with a massive influx of credits over the past month tied to this should be dissolved and the GM's perma banned if they were logged in and had any guild bank deposits or withdrawls tied to their toons. As a guild leader if you are present in the game you are responsible for the actions of your followers.

It's already easy enough to obtain 1b+ in a guild tbh, if a reseller can obtain multiple billions themselves.

I'm glad this is finally closed. I want to trust Bioware to do what is right about this. Some players who exploited probably did so a little on their own accounts, taking advantage of some bug without thinking of the consequences to the economy or the game in general. They probably deserve less punishment than those who purposefully and maliciously used this exploit to stockpile billions of credits. Those accounts, and those accounts that have participated in multiple exploits in the past, should probably be banned outright.

And before anyone asks, no I didn't take part and don't even know how people were doing it other than it had to do with companion gifts.

It was a companion gift thing? I've purchased stacks of the companion gift rank 1s and 2s mostly to feed to my lower influence companions. Anything I had left over, I just put in my legacy bank for the next batch of companions I have. ****, now I'm wondering if I sold any of it back and got more than I should have. I wasn't even paying attention either. Aw, damnit. *sigh* I really hope I didn't sell any of it back.

Correct - about how far this easily could have gone with the bug running so long.

A true hooligan hacker would take advantage of the bug, pile up some billions - 'sell' those billions of credits to actual gold farmers for 'real' $$, and then split. Anyone doing any less is a troublemaker for sure and should have the hammer dropped hard. It's the true hooligans that were in/out while this 4 week Bug was running, that are the ones laughing at Bio - as usual.

You have to think like them to catch them - warfare (cyber) 101

Apparently 'another' job role at Austin Bio they can't fill due to EA's death squeeze - Cyber Security Expert. Such a person would have been slapping the devs in the back of the head until this was fixed, not let it roll for so long.

Edited by Dreadicus

Who cares if you get perma banned when you can just sell exploited credits to gold sellers to make phat dollars, person could probably make $1b a day and turn it over for like $800 to $1000 and rinse and repeat

It wasn't just about companion influence. The exploit allowed people to generate in game currencies; Data Crystals, Grey Helix, Bounty Contracts, Rakghoul DNA Canisters etc. The companion gifts on the GTN was just the most visible sign that something was going on because a lot of the exploiters chose that as a way to convert other currency into credits.

Bounty contracts too? Holy crap! There's someone on the gtn, who had like 30 stacks of 99 completed bounty contracts. Bounty week has been out almost 2 years I think? Even if I had 22 toons do bounty week every day until now, I wouldn't have 30 stacks of 99 completed contracts.

I have no idea HOW they did this exploit and I KNOW I didn't do this because I never got more of anything then I should have. Just WOW.

Who cares if you get perma banned when you can just sell exploited credits to gold sellers to make phat dollars, person could probably make $1b a day and turn it over for like $800 to $1000 and rinse and repeat

I'm not quite sure that this won't end in a lawsuit.

As soon as Bioware ever busts that ring in a lawsuit, your account is on the agenda. They could then open a lawsuit and get your adress from your provider.

With in-game benefits, they'll likely end it with a perma ban. But using their game to make thousands and thousands of € with fraudulent activity? I guess that could get the lawsuit going.

How about quickly responding to the PVP exploit whereby BW is taking our hard-earned money and in return; no new warzones, wacky class balances, and no responses to any of the legitimate questions asked in the PVP forum. Really, scroll down the pages and find a yellow post (excluding ranked season (07/15 x 2), rewards (04/14). I did...only went 64 pages (if I'd kept going I would most likely see a post from launch time period) and a yellow post about tokens 07/15.

So, you are saying that whales will get off lightly if they happen to be one of the more egregious exploiters simply because they drop stacks of cash on the game? I'm sorry but the idea of that is sickening to me.

Welcome to the real world... It takes a LOT to have society really punish a whale... in any place in life. It happens, rich people can and do get into trouble, but not to the same extent as the rest of us...

Look at Lindsey Lohan for example...

If anything, banhammering a couple of whales would go a long way towards making it clear that cheating and exploiting of any kind will not be tolerated no matter who you are.

While I agree with you in principle, that just isn't how it works...

Eric, I sent you a PM on this matter over a months ago. Thanks for a quick turn around on fixing the exploit before it got out of hand...

Only a cynical person would suggest that nothing is allowed to slow down the reskinning of cartel market gear and colour crystals.

Or that an economy twisting bug was allowed to continue for weeks because cartel coins were immune to it, merely causing havoc with credits and minor currencies.

Let alone that if it in any way endangered the cartel market a hotfix would be rushed out the next day after throwing the entire team at it instead of one guy doing what he could on his lunch breaks.

Good thing there's no such cynics among us eh.

Edited by Gyronamics