Item Stack Resale Exploit

EricMusco

I'm not quite sure that this won't end in a lawsuit.

As soon as Bioware ever busts that ring in a lawsuit, your account is on the agenda. They could then open a lawsuit and get your adress from your provider.

With in-game benefits, they'll likely end it with a perma ban. But using their game to make thousands and thousands of € with fraudulent activity? I guess that could get the lawsuit going.

And they are going to sue someone in Brazil? China?

You're assuming these people are in the US. Even suing someone in the EU would be expensive. And for what? To gain what?

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly believe most if not all of the individual designers and developers want nothing more than to be able to create a fun and entertaining game, they just don't have the support structures in place necessary to do so.

And now it's my turn to almost spit my coffee over my screen.

Have you seen the balance changes this lot have come out with? Over-tuned operations? Buggy operations? Over-tuned HM flashpoints? Over-tuned Tactical flashpoints?

If they wanted to create a "fun and entertaining" game they would take some care and pride in the work that they do, we'd actually see content released on a proper schedule and have a proper roadmap released each year.

Not some hint at a "wall of crazy" for things that may or may not end up in the game at some future point in time. The only team that has any "support structures" in place is the Cartel Market team, as that is the only content released / fixed / adjusted exceptionally quickly compared to every other area of the game.

Bounty contracts too? Holy crap! There's someone on the gtn, who had like 30 stacks of 99 completed bounty contracts. Bounty week has been out almost 2 years I think? Even if I had 22 toons do bounty week every day until now, I wouldn't have 30 stacks of 99 completed contracts.

22 characters can, if you have the time available, between them do 154 (7*22) normal contracts and 22 Kingpin contracts in a single Bounty Contract week. That's a total of 176 contracts a week. 30 stacks of 99 is 2970 contracts, and 2970 divided by 176, rounded up to the next whole number, is 17 bounty contract weeks. If there was one contract week a month during those nearly-two years, then certainly there have been at least 17 of them in total, and that means it is possible. It's probably easier to make the necessary credits and buy up all the ordinary-sized stacks on the GTN than it is to have the required level of religious adherence to grinding almost three thousand bounty contracts.

And then there's the time aspect during those weeks. If it takes 10 minutes to do a single contract, say, then the 176 that you can do in a week would take 1760 minutes, or almost 30 hours. So during each BC week, you'd have to spend more than four hours each day logging in to one character after another, grabbing a contract, doing it, and switching to the next, including three kingpin contracts a day, although if I was doing it, I'd be inclined to displace the kingpin contracts to 11 on Saturday and 11 on Sunday.

No, I think these guys have exploited their way to being able to afford to buy these contracts and then bundle them up.

Cant go back and reverse all sales - don't know which are legitimate or not. It's a giant web that can't be cleaned up.

It is too difficult to fully trace all the accounts and gains to the cheaters.

How hard is it to link account A the benefited from account B that exploited when they are same or similar IP or billing addresses, large amounts funneled for one character to another over and over.

I don't think it is as difficult as you make it out to be to get most of the major one participating and doing so through alts. Only a few will have laundered it enough to get away with it.

Hahaha, suckers!!!

I was wondering over the last few days how this one guy on Harb, had 300 to 400 grade 6 companion gifts for sale per day. He had best prices and I bought a couple stacks from him one day. He immediately replaced those two stacks of gifts that I bought with two new ones....

I asked in chat about a crystal exploit or something, because there's no way to earn coms that fast. Many actually replied that there was a way....

Good riddance to all of you, rot in hell, hahaha!

You to buddy and very far away from me

7 day ban, removal of influence, coms, credits.

Checked the money that I laundered using an alt account, it all remains. 7 day ban for 7 billion credits that I get to keep.

That's a great message BW is sending to all players who didn't cheat. Next time many of them will

Edited by SackTheCoruscant

I'm not quite sure that this won't end in a lawsuit.

As soon as Bioware ever busts that ring in a lawsuit, your account is on the agenda. They could then open a lawsuit and get your adress from your provider.

With in-game benefits, they'll likely end it with a perma ban. But using their game to make thousands and thousands of € with fraudulent activity? I guess that could get the lawsuit going.

not sure if serious

is there any precedent anywhere where a video game company sued people for cheating at their video game?

their power starts ands tops with the account. all they can do is ban access to their licensed product.

So what you suggest is the following: Exploiters should not be banned at all because they bring in money? Good, next time everyone should and most likely will exploit. The gain a player can get out of an exploit is huge and with BWs "no ban police" everyone is safe to exploit like there is no tomorrow.

Maybe a exploiter gets a few days off, maybe they can track everything back and remove all of it. If not = profit.

they will always balance losing exploiters via bans vs losing subs via unsubbing

your post is sort of funny given the fact bw has ALWAYS been gentle with exploiters in the entire history of the game.

Why cant they just have the game run a script to check accounts holding above x amount of credits to be further checked for how x amount was aquired.

7 billion credits magically aquired in a weeks time should be suspicious anyhow... :p

Edit◆◆ And yeah markets already borked, was looking to see if new packs were for sale on gtn, jung ma as usual has none, so popped to Harbringer, hypercrates: 16m, packs 800k

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Quit a few players on reddit claim, that their main accounts did get away with a 7 day ban, while their mule accounts still have billions of credits.

Good work BW.

Yeah, that worries me. If people truly did make billions off this, that's not going to have a positive impact on the game long term...

So a 7-day ban (first time offender) and he gets to keep his 7 billion creds he exploited reddit link

That's some punishment!

Seriously, if this doesn't encourage exploits I dunno what does.

I'm starting to think either BW is lying or just covering up how many actually did this with what they posted.

I can't stand cheaters and exploiters but the ban is once again very light for the people I personally know that did this and so far their main account where everything ended up is untouched. Just the exploiting account is banned and the most has only been for 7 days PLUS they got to keep their millions upon millions of credits as well as event tokens and rep tokens.

I'm just blown away at how bad this was handled and for a second time after the ravagers exploit and the warning BW gave out.

Edited by Quraswren

I'm starting to think either BW is lying or just covering up how many actually did this with what they posted.

I can't stand cheaters and exploiters but the ban is once again very light for the people I personally know that did this and so far their main account where everything ended up is untouched. Just the exploiting account is banned and the most has only been for 7 days PLUS they got to keep their millions upon millions of credits as well as event tokens and rep tokens.

I'm just blown away at how bad this was handled and for a second time after the ravagers exploit and the warning BW gave out.

I've got to agree. The fact that they didn't shut this down with an emergency patch, blows my mind...

Why didn't they move quicker? The only way I'm able to justify their gross incompetence is, this will increase Cartel Market sales. 5mil won't go nearly as far any longer, so players won't need to get that one lucky draw of a rare item, they'll need several lucky draws...this has GOT to be why they moved so lazily.

Anything less than a permanent ban for ALL accounts involved is unacceptable and another slap-in-the-face to whatever playerbase you have left.

By, Accounts involved what do you mean? I had this fear last exploit (temple chair). say person 1 uses the exploit and they get 100,000 credits, they then buy a decoration and put it on the GTN. Person 2, unknowingly then buys this item off the GTN, they then donate to a friend as a gift. the friend (person 3) then donates to guild, the guild master then places it in their stronghold.

would the guild master be charged with exploitation? I release this is a bit far fetched but even if it stopped at person 2 would they be banned? they would have no idea the are working with an exploiter but would they be classed as one?

By, Accounts involved what do you mean? I had this fear last exploit (temple chair). say person 1 uses the exploit and they get 100,000 credits, they then buy a decoration and put it on the GTN. Person 2, unknowingly then buys this item off the GTN, they then donate to a friend as a gift. the friend (person 3) then donates to guild, the guild master then places it in their stronghold.

would the guild master be charged with exploitation? I release this is a bit far fetched but even if it stopped at person 2 would they be banned? they would have no idea the are working with an exploiter but would they be classed as one?

I believe what he meant was the ones that actually performed the exploit not the ones that obtained the items cause that would take way to long to fish out the legit people that used / or reselling them tbh.