Item Stack Resale Exploit

EricMusco

The credits existed in the multitude player's bank accounts.

i.e. - The only thing that happened was wealth shifting, where money is shifted from the many, to the few. The GTN was the medium.

What are you talking about... do you even know what exploit that's been discussed over the last 375 replies...? There not shifting credits from alts, there blatantly getting more from vendors by selling items that could of came in a infinite amount.

EDIT- THAT TRIPLE SLAM!!!

Edited by peter_plankskull

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The exploiters were like the Fed issuing their own currency (Credits),,injecting billions into any organic type economy is a disaster on what it does,some may benefit from it but many will lose out and it destroys the value of those holding credits.

Like i said in a previous post,just stop shopping on the GTN and direct purchase from the Cartel Market if you want anything.

Edited by Sathid

You really need to check your facts because you're really uneducated on the issue at hand.

I know the exploit, because I exploited it along with half the player base. It is you, and some of the posters above who apparently do not know how it worked. It was decorations that were bought with either event tokens, or data crystals. You bought a stack of deco and then separated the stack into a individual item, and then sold it back to the vendor. All you would get back was an event token, or a data crystal that matched the amount of the cost of the stack you originally bought.

i.e. - You bought a stack of 99 deco for X price. Break one off the stack and sell it back. Receive X price back. (X being event token or data crystal depending on the vendor and deco)

So no, credits were not coming into the game. Event Tokens, Data crystals, Companion gifts, and crates were coming into the game. The credits came from the players.

Edited by Darkside

I know the exploit, because I exploited it along with half the player base. It is you who apparently does not know how it worked. It was decorations that were bought with either event tokens, or data crystals. You bought a stack of deco and then separated the stack into a individual item, and then sold it back to the vendor. All you would get back was an event token, or a data crystal that matched the amount of the cost of the stack you originally bought.

i.e. - You bought a stack of 99 deco for X price. Break one off the stack and sell it back. Receive X price back. (X being event token or data crystal depending on the vendor and deco)

So no, credits were not coming into the game. Event Tokens, Data crystals, Companion gifts, and crates were coming into the game. The credits came from the players.

But the Q is how did they manage to dupe the bounty contracts, you cant buy those with crystals?

I know the exploit, because I exploited it along with half the player base. It is you, and some of the posters above who apparently do not know how it worked. It was decorations that were bought with either event tokens, or data crystals. You bought a stack of deco and then separated the stack into a individual item, and then sold it back to the vendor. All you would get back was an event token, or a data crystal that matched the amount of the cost of the stack you originally bought.

What if they instead of I don't know... sold these companion gifts on the GTN in stacks by the 100s??? Honestly you would of gotten a longer ban :rolleyes:, let alone after telling the world you did. Just because you didn't know how to make credits off this, doesn't mean others sure didn't.

But the Q is how did they manage to dupe the bounty contracts, you cant buy those with crystals?

You had to have the contracts to start with. 2 or 4 of them I believe. Then from there you could dupe your way to whatever amount of contracts you wanted. People were making billions from selling them and companion gifts on the gtn. Other players who were not exploiting directly, bought them up in droves, so they can profit on them in the near future after the exploit was fixed and players banned.

Edited by Darkside

What if they instead of I don't know... sold these companion gifts on the GTN in stacks by the 100s??? Honestly you would of gotten a longer ban :rolleyes:, let alone after telling the world you did. Just because you didn't know how to make credits off this, doesn't mean others sure didn't.

If you read my previous post then you would know that we are saying the same thing. I was telling them that the wealth came through the GTN from other players, and not actually directly created from the dupe itself like they are claiming.

Edited by Darkside

Billions were sold to and farmed by credit sellers as a result of this exploit and they are very experienced in obscuring the movement and storage of such credits.

Consequences of being incredibly slow to address currency exploit bugs.

Hell, I have it on good authority that on the PTS this bug was reported to Bioware.

THE PTS.

Edited by Gyronamics

Oddly the first week of KOFTE i was in Zakuul and went to repair my armor etc at the repair droid guy in the Cantina after you get the Gravestone and work your way towards that one guy you have to speak to that is the leader of the gang.

Upon repairing i noticed the blaster i had became unequipped and no longer bound,this blaster is the named one I purchased with Cartel Certs and have legend status that was Bind on Pick up,,,i went to fleet and asked if anyone had anything unbound after repairing,then i was asked in a few tells what i meant i kind of explained it,i assumed it was likely a one off bug and did not try to replicate it,i believe i sent a ticket.

Billions were sold to and farmed by credit sellers as a result of this exploit and they are very experienced in obscuring the movement and storage of such credits.

Consequences of being incredibly slow to address currency exploit bugs.

Sadly, I think credit sellers were the overall winners out of this whole fiasco. They were duping with dummy accounts, and they had players selling credits directly to them.

It was reported for the last 6 weeks. It took a letter to the devs from the dataminers to get their attention though. :eek:

Edited by Darkside

Right companion gifts being generated via duping i.e. for free ... and what can you do with rank 6 companion gifts? Oh that's right you can vendor them for around 2K each ...

But no I'm sure NO credits were made from this exploit :rolleyes:

Seems you just admitted to exploiting and you weren't even very good at it. Ban or no ban your reputation is mud.

Admitting you were exploiting the game on the open forums is pretty dumb, but given you don't seem to understand that everything bought by duped crystals and event currency could be sold to vendors for credits, and thus add credits to the game, I can't grasp the level of dumb in your statements.

Simply put, billions of new credits were created by players using this exploit as they bought stack after stack of gifts, and immediately sold stack after stack to the vendors for credits.

Only idiots posted stuff for sale on the GTN with giant neon 'Ban Me - I'm an Exploiter' signs.

The same way crystals were duped, buy decorations in stacks with Bounty Contracts, separate stacks into individual decos, return each individual deco for a refund of the number Bounty Contracts used to buy the stack.

All event currencies were duped this way using the decos each currency could buy, though only Bounty Contracts can be on the GTN, so stacks of Gree or Rakghoul currency were not floating around the economy.

Edited by DawnAskham

Admitting you were exploiting the game on the open forums is pretty dumb, but given you don't seem to understand that everything bought by duped crystals and event currency could be sold to vendors for credits, and thus add credits to the game, I can't grasp the level of dumb in your statements.

Simply put, billions of new credits were created by players using this exploit as they bought stack after stack of gifts, and immediately sold stack after stack to the vendors for credits.

Only idiots posted stuff for sale on the GTN with giant neon 'Ban Me - I'm an Exploiter' signs.

Not all the exploited items were from exploiters, most are from resellers as well

1. No real credits were really added to the game from the exploit. .

You do realize not all of them were selling to players just through the GTN.

Just 1 Legendary companion gift sells for 1,920 to a vendor. The dupe was exponential, 2 crystals to 4 to 8 to 16, so it wouldn't take the exploiters long to have huge amounts. So 1000 gifts 1,920,000 just selling to a vendor. That is a lot of created currency.

If you think they were just selling to the GTN, overloading it with items and devaluing them, you are fooling yourself. They likely did both while waiting for things to sell.

The worst offenders doing that with bots, which would have created a lot of EC, and then try to launder it through the GTN.

So no there is a lot of created money in the game economy that is going to hurt it down the line because of this exploit.

Edited by Deyjarl

Right companion gifts being generated via duping i.e. for free ... and what can you do with rank 6 companion gifts? Oh that's right you can vendor them for around 2K each ...

But no I'm sure NO credits were made from this exploit :rolleyes:

Seems you just admitted to exploiting and you weren't even very good at it. Ban or no ban your reputation is mud.

you're not understanding what he's saying

he's saying that he was duping items for tokens, not currency.

this is different than say, selling items back to a vendor for credits. this would mean currency being injected into the economy.

items he duped for tokens were sold to players. players provide the currency that was already in rotation.

he can sell to the vendor or players...players pay more. so your point is worthless unless he admits to selling to vendors.

jumping to a conclusion without a sound premise.

you make it sound like selling on the GTN is riskier....why?

no one from bw players the game, they only look at backend data.

players cant ban other players.

and on top of everything, bw never punishes players severely. read reddit. do you think anyone that made billions off this would care about a 7 day ban in December?

Edited by Pagy

this is different than say, selling items back to a vendor for credits. this would mean currency being injected into the economy.

items he duped for tokens were sold to players. players provide the currency that was already in rotation.he can sell to the vendor or players...players pay more. so your point is worthless unless he admits to selling to vendors.

and on top of everything, bw never punishes players severely. read reddit. do you think anyone that made billions off this would care about a 7 day ban in December?

The person I quoted claimed that the exploit did not allow for the creation of credits into the game implying that the exploit was not a problem for the general economy, not that he himself did not sell exploited items to vendors for credits, therefore my point stands (and your reading comprehension fails) that the exploit did in fact allow players to create credits and thus did harm the game's economy.

As pointed out by many here and on those same reddit threads you referenced, many players did in fact sell exploited items to vendors, as doing so did not require spending time listing items and waiting and hoping players bough their items, it just required clicking a vendor.

As to your last point, sadly it is probably true that it doesn't matter what exploiters did to turn exploited items into credits as it appears Bioware is simply removing credits from the exploit account, not tracking credits transferred or converted to valuable items such as rare CM goods.

Anyways, not sure what your point was with regard to calling out my post as I, along with several others, were simply debunking the OPs claim that the exploit did not create credits.

Edited by DawnAskham

items he duped for tokens were sold to players. players provide the currency that was already in rotation.he can sell to the vendor or players...players pay more. so your point is worthless unless he admits to selling to vendors.

What he was personally doing is not relevant. The fact remains that credits could be created from thin air via vendoring the gifts that were obtained via the exploit. It happened. Reddit posts confirm it. That is new cash in the economy that devalues every existing credit. Once the suspended get back into the game and start spending, we will see the effects of that new money. Hyperinflation just might be the new normal.

What he was personally doing is not relevant. The fact remains that credits could be created from thin air via vendoring the gifts that were obtained via the exploit. It happened. Reddit posts confirm it. That is new cash in the economy that devalues every existing credit. Once the suspended get back into the game and start spending, we will see the effects of that new money. Hyperinflation just might be the new normal.
psssssssst credits are created everytime you grind mobs, vendor gear, open chests, complete quests etc.

psssssssst credits are created everytime you grind mobs, vendor gear, open chests, complete quests etc.

.... but not at that pace. You could create millions of credits in minutes. Show me another ingame activity that allows to create that amount of credits in that timeframe.

Edited by Neglience

.... but not at that pace. You could create millions of credits in minutes. Show me another ingame activity that allows to create that amount of credits in that timeframe.
ur right, it's probably faster to grind mobs than vendor gifts

items he duped for tokens were sold to players. players provide the currency that was already in rotation.

I don't really care what he did, he clearly missed the main aspect of the exploit ( as do you perhaps? ) in which if you dupe anything that allows you to get basically "free" companion gifts ( from the duped crystals if you will ) then you can vendor those injecting the credits into the economy.

Knowing what we know of botters and how easily they setup automation macros/scripts these days ( to the point they are available to anyone willing to do a bit of google work ) then it's not overly hard for them to automate this selling process after manually duping stacks and stacks of rank 6 gifts.

So say 20 stacks, macro breaking one off a stack and then vendoring it - rinse and repeat 98 times and then move 1 bay to the left - rinse and repeat 10 times move one bay up, 9 bays right - rinse and repeat from start. 20 stacks yield around 4 million credits. A full inventory, multiple times a day ...

Sure you COULD chuck things on the GTN and hope people buy them and you don't get undercut by the other cheaters etc. but why when you can get guaranteed credits doing the above.

he can sell to the vendor or players...players pay more. so your point is worthless unless he admits to selling to vendors.

They only pay more if they are buying and you're not instantly undercut by everyone else listing ill gotten gains.

Vendors always buy.

There is proof ( screenshots ) and many admissions all over reddit and other sites.

Unless of course you think they are "fake" or "lieing" but then I think you would be the one jumping to conclusions without a sound premise because based on the proof around Dawn's premise is perfectly sound.

Riskier because you run more risk of getting reported but in saying that BW are going to track anyone selling stacks of these items regardless ( one would hope ).