Bioware says NO LFD TOOL.

Montague

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want a knife to cut that irony? ;)

Perhaps you're confused about that word...and that expression?

I don't know if it was you specifically, as I wasn't addressing you specifically, but I've seen posts on here saying, and yes I'm paraphrasing,

"We don't need this tool, because I can get a group any time I want in just 1-2 general chat messages"

Well okay. But there have been numerous examples here (hours of play only one of them) why that doesn't work for others. I was listing my example, yes, but it wasn't the only one listed.

Edited by Raijinvince

no, you are most certainly allowed. but don't be surprised when you find yourself at a disadvantage.

some of you are reminding me of a vegetarian, coming to a burger joint and then complaining that they have no dishes to chose from.

And if that burger joint started to serve vegitarian food aswell, why would that be so bad?. Would your burger taste any diffrent?

I would be happy if they would allow mods and have a global LFG channel. Before The Burning Crusade released there was a global chat channel, and someone created a mod that took all the "lfg..." "LFM..." statements and put it on a GUI box and time stamped it. So when you felt like it you can see who typed in a lfg message and you didn't have to pay attention to all the other useless chatter that was happening in the same channel.

Something like that I would be happy with.

He only said they don't intend to make a cross-server LFD, not that they don't intend to make a LFD at all.

I will never understand how people think 'LFG (enter Flashpoint name here) ... " Over and over for thirty minutes is community. It is chat spam.

I'd take the tool any day. That way we would be 1/2 done with the flash point before the group is even formed.

Then don't do it?

Just so we're clear then. You think it's better for the social environment to tell people to completely skip all Flashpoints and Group Content than it is to have them do it through a LFD tool? Seems to me doing Flashpoints with other people regardless of how you came to be grouped with them is still more social interaction than not ever doing group content at all.

Edited by Raijinvince

I applaud them for this. It makes me happier to invest time and money into this game. Social community is what makes an MMO thrive, and I'm enjoying having to get to know my server. Whereas otherwise 90% of the folks would just be afk in the cities sitting in queue and we'd never get to know them.

Just..

like..

what..

happened...

in..

wow..

Edited by Jackjeebs

Agreed.

And skip the group content? Are you serious?

I only meant don't stand around and spam LFG.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

"Then don't do that."

There's other ways to get a group going that don't involve standing in one place in-game spamming general.

I will never understand how people think 'LFG (enter Flashpoint name here) ... " Over and over for thirty minutes is community. It is chat spam.

I'd take the tool any day. That way we would be 1/2 done with the flash point before the group is even formed.

My explanation: "I spam therefore I exist".

Those people just do not make sense.

Appart from the accountability issues, there is no serious argument against a LFD. And even this one can be addressed with an in-server LFD.

Can I have your stuff?

I was gonna post this but you beat me to it, so you should get the stuff. Also, in star wars, we should start saying, "Your stuff I can have, hmm?" or something more Yoda like. We will figure something out eventually.

Edited by Kleinone

"Then don't do that."

There's other ways to get a group going that don't involve standing in one place in-game spamming general.

Not when you've completed all the solo content for that world and are just looking to finish the group quests before moving on.

Since everything only works on a planet-wide basis, leaving to do other things somewhere else is not an option.

There better be an LFG tool, it's a fantastic social tool to bring people together that would otherwise not bother with content. RIFT was instantly a better game with an LFG tool, no doubt about it. I don't see a reason for a LFG tool between servers (not unless there are barren servers or massive tank shortages for endgame runs, that's yet to be determined), but a Server wide LFG is absolutely needed. It's a missing feature in my opinion, along with many others. The current LFG page you open up is clunky and terrible, along with much of the Interface in this game. I think it's certain Bioware is working on the interface. I've had to skip many group quests already because I didn't feel like waiting more than 30 minutes in some instances to get enough people to run. For a ton of players who aren't in guilds, this is pretty important to have this feature.

We don't need a tool that works exactly how it does in WoW for instance. Bioware has an excellent opportunity to advance the way group quests work in this game that fits. I think a "Social Page" could be added to the top middle pane of the UI. When clicked on, it shows your active Group Quests (and others that you don't have in your level range, doesn't matter). You then select the quest, it opens up a submenu and links to the 0/4 slots if it's 4+ heroic or whatever the number of slots, and you click the slot and it fills you in that position, simple. It takes your request and matches you with others that have selected open slots in a group and does the busy work in the background. You could then close the screen and there could be a smaller module that would sit in the corner (or movable that shows the status of LFG instance you "applied" for). This would get right to the point and I think this would be greatly bring order to a rather unorganized system in place. That way, I can que up myself in the social pane and not have to hang out on the Imperial Fleet to run a Flashpoint, and head out to do business elsewhere.

Don't like it? Join a guild and ignore it.

Whereas otherwise 90% of the folks would just be afk in the cities sitting in queue and we'd never get to know them.

You know...this is the part that's really amusing to me.

With a LFD tool:

People could be out questing/doing dailies/searching for holocrons/etc in the environment...on the various planets...while in LFD queue.

Without a LFD tool:

Everyone who wants to group up for a FP is sitting around in Fleet sending messages to General until they form a group.

The exact scenario you fear the LFD will cause, is the exact scenario that's currently occurring without it.

Right. Good advice. I guess I'll just go leave all of my real life friends playing the game so I can play on a Euro server from the United States. My three days off a week when I play during normal West coast prime time hours sure will be fun since everyone on my Light Euro server will be asleep. I'm sure glad they aren't implementing a LFD tool so I can enjoy all of these benefits.

Look my *specific* situation wasn't really the point I was trying to make. The point is a lot of people in this thread have very legitimate reasons why it's difficult or unreasonable for them to form groups by spamming general on the fleet. I'm glad it works for some of you, but you need to realize that just because it works for you...doesn't mean it should or does work for EVERYONE else. So try to pull yourself out of the equation when you're commenting on something that doesn't only affect yourself.

so group when you play during normal hours?

I swear, this "I want things my way and I want them now" attitude is... not surprising actually, but still sad.

Just so we're clear then. You think it's better for the social environment to tell people to completely skip all Flashpoints and Group Content than it is to have them do it through a LFD tool?

Again, false binary thinking. You don't have to spam LFG in general to get a group going- now, it may not be the answer you're looking for, but I'm not here to give you answers you WANT to hear.

What the problem is boils down to this: It seems to me that BioWare wants a real community, in the sense of what the word really means, and not just a bunch of people who happen to play on the same server occasionally running a group instance together without talking to one another.

That means forging relationships and friendships; it means doing more than ticking a box on a form and waiting in the queue until your turn to play solo MMO.

Now, I may be off-base in my interpretation of the facts on the ground, but I'm pretty confident in it at the moment, and while it's not the answer some would want, it seems to be the truth.

And I applaud BioWare for it. We don't need a "community" in name only. The game will be better with a real community as opposed to a glorified server browser for the latest dungeon.

"Then don't do that."

We are all ears.

Don't play your friends/guild list joker though. Not even the current /who LFG version.

Not when you've completed all the solo content for that world and are just looking to finish the group quests before moving on.

Since everything only works on a planet-wide basis, leaving to do other things somewhere else is not an option.

Why not?

When I finished Taris at some ungodly hour when all my guildies were in bed and the server was dead, I went on to the next planet, untracked the quests until some of my friends were hitting the Taris questline when I was back on the next day. I hopped back over to Taris and we went and did them together. It was fun because I had a little bit of an edge with a couple extra levels and didn't need any loot- just helping my friends.

You don't have to do it all in order to do it.