Please introduce dual spec ASAP

Ultrazen

For one very important reason, it would solve the looking for healer problem.

1. Specing heals isn't enough of a boost to healing to justify it as your only spec.

2. You tend to spend 90% of the game soloing missions, and having only a heal spec slows the game down quite a bit.

3. Constantly respecing isn't really a viable option long term for many reasons.

This game really could benefit from dual spec.

Short answer: no

Long answer: Specing heals is a major boost to justify it as only spec, you obviously havent played far anough into the heal tree.

You only spend 90% of your time solo of your own chosing.

Heal Spec does slow down leveling to some degree but not majorly so. Make sure to pimp your companions, use Presence Buffs etc, and it all goes rather smooth.

Constantly respecing isnt an option and i dont see why it should be.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SERIOUSLY?!?!?! Dual spec takes away from diversity????????????????????

What am I reading.

This isn't a freaking single player rpg where whatever spec you take doesn't matter because everything works.

I've been leveling all of my characters. I'm not as high as some, so perhaps it's possbile to change later. My Agent - while slightly slower - does just fine for his leveling as a Healer-spec.

My Sith Marauder, does just fine at killing **** fast. He has to stop more to use his Channel Hatred, but that's the trade off.

As for my Bounty Hunter Shieldtech, I don't know. I've had my friend with me the entire time.

What you're reading is someone who enjoys playing the game, and doesn't ***** about pointless things that don't need to be added. as I said, it's fine if they do, but my prefernce is they focus on other things, such as the major bug that makes it so people can't use their UI (Such as clicking the logout button, so a 'relog' doesn't work too well because they have to ALT+F4 it to exit.)

I'm sure BioWare has a reason for not wanting Dual Spec. I'm sure they've seen how it worked on WoW, and thought, 'Perhaps it's better if we don't stick our hand in a fire.' In the end, it's not in right now, and while you may be a vocal lot on the boards, it's not possible everyone wants/needs this system you propose.

2 words= two chars

You'll find that a lot less people are willing to do that now that nearly all modern MMOs allow for dual specs.

Whether it's great and fun or bad and community-destroying is irrelevant.

It's a feature that's expected of modern-day MMOs and it's on the way for TOR.

Q: Since it has been clearly stated that there will not be dual specs for characters in the game, can you explain your philosophy behind the skill trees and how you are taking into account players that want to be able to play PvP and PvE content on the same character? - illumineart

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

So everyone can rail for or against it all they like, it's going to happen.

Edited by carnac_fett

Already, the WoW players are screaming for ezmode crap. Ugh.

this perspective just blows my mind apart. ezmode? ezmode is having the ability to play 2 different styles so that you can be more useful to a variety of groups?

there's nothing 'ez' about dual speccing and I haven't played wow since before it was even introduced. but the concept is obviously a good one.

Meh, I'm leveling as Immortal with my Sith Jugg and have no problems whatsoever with either my damage or my questing speed. Rolling with Quinn I can pretty much chain pull one pack of mobs after another with little to no downtime. So while I might not do as much damage as a dps spec I don't have to stop and channel hatred after every pull while it really doesn't take me much longer to down enemies compared to others I have seen questing in my area.

And, since I'm spending all of my time in a tank spec, I'm actually, you know, learning the mechanics, abilites and limitations of a tanking Juggernaut, which in turn makes me a better tank than someone who only respecs for FPs and spends all their time not tanking.

this perspective just blows my mind apart. ezmode? ezmode is having the ability to play 2 different styles so that you can be more useful to a variety of groups?

there's nothing 'ez' about dual speccing and I haven't played wow since before it was even introduced. but the concept is obviously a good one.

A lot of the "old guard" of the MMORPG genre seems to believe that the more inconvenient and obtuse an MMO is, the better. They like that it weeds out the people who think an MMO doesn't need to be that much more needlessly complicated than any other video game.

They like to use phrases like "work for" and "put the time and effort into", because fun is secondary to them. They enjoy working in their video games, and they get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing people struggling with things that they themselves were able to deal with relatively easily due to their considerable experience with the genre.

The introduction of a dual spec feature is threatening to them because it allows people who aren't as dedicated and devoted to the genre as they are to succeed in the game and experiment with different specs. A lot of them have had years and years of MMO experience, and early on in the genre's history, if you wanted to play a different kind of character you had to roll one and "put the time and effort in" to level them up.

Dual spec means one player with a single character might be able to learn all three roles in much less time. They don't like that. They want respecializing into different roles to be a drawn-out experience requiring a lot of work and effort - requiring either a lot of currency farming to afford the respecs or the creation and leveling of entire new characters, just like they had to do once upon a time.

Edited by carnac_fett

Simple---they are selfish.

They have no need for dual spec so they see no reason to let you have dual spec.

Selfish?

hardly...I'm a dedicated healer, I spend my time leveling up as a healer, earning my stripes along the way, then have to compete with 50,000 DPSers that can't find a group for DPS, so they just jump the fence and take all the group roles as healers, that they never had to earned because they took the fast road of DPSing to level.

sorry, but it sounds a hell of a lot like the "I want my cake, and eat it too" group are the selfish ones.

You want to play a healer, earn it...level with it...otherwise play your damn DPSer like you chose to.

and to the guys saying if you don't want it don't use it...it doesn't affect you anyhow...as you can see, it does affect people even if they chose not to use it...you are just simply full of it, and really don't grasp how it affects people that don't want it.

Edited by LeComte

Selfish?

hardly...I'm a dedicated healer, I spend my time leveling up as a healer, earning my stripes along the way, then have to compete with 50,000 DPSers that can't find a group for DPS, so they just jump the fence and take all the group roles as healers, that they never had to earned because they took the fast road of DPSing to level.

sorry, but it sounds a hell of a lot like the "I want my cake, and eat it too" group are the selfish ones.

You want to play a healer, earn it...level with it...otherwise play your damn DPSer like you chose to.

and to the guys saying if you don't want it don't use it...it doesn't affect you anyhow...as you can see, it does affect people even if they chose not to use it...you are just simply full of it, and really don't grasp how it affects people that don't want it.

Amen.

Also for those complaining about leveling as a healing spec, l2use companions. They're in the game for a reason and some of them put out ridiculous amounts of damage if their gear is kept up to date, making up for a perceived lack of damage from a healing spec.

You DO realize they WANT you to roll other chars, correct? Story and missions for characters is what probably 80% of their budget was spent on. WHY would they want to help you circumnavigate that with a dual spec?

It would in essence negate most of their effort.

-You get pets to tank for you as a healer. Spend a little time upgrading their equipment...

You DO realize they WANT you to roll other chars, correct? Story and missions for characters is what probably 80% of their budget was spent on. WHY would they want to help you circumnavigate that with a dual spec?

It would in essence negate most of their effort.

They are already planning to implement a dual spec feature.

A lot of the "old guard" of the MMORPG genre seems to believe that the more inconvenient and obtuse an MMO is, the better. They like that it weeds out the people who think an MMO doesn't need to be that much more needlessly complicated than any other video game.

They like to use phrases like "work for" and "put the time and effort into", because fun is secondary to them. They enjoy working in their video games, and they get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing people struggling with things that they themselves were able to deal with relatively easily due to their considerable experience with the genre.

The introduction of a dual spec feature is threatening to them because it allows people who aren't as dedicated and devoted to the genre as they are to succeed in the game and experiment with different specs. A lot of them have had years and years of MMO experience, and early on in the genre's history, if you wanted to play a different kind of character you had to roll one and "put the time and effort in" to level them up.

Dual spec means one player with a single character might be able to learn all three roles in much less time. They don't like that. They want respecializing into different roles to be a drawn-out experience requiring a lot of work and effort - requiring either a lot of currency farming to afford the respecs or the creation and leveling of entire new characters, just like they had to do once upon a time.

Nice generalization. Part of my concern with dual-specs is always the lack of experience people have in their class - someone who has earned their blood being a healer is more likely to be a good healer than someone who switched to that spec 'because there's dualspec and I want a group!'

I started as a Healer in EQ/FFXI. I slowly worked into becoming DPS at times in WoW and FFXI, as well as PSU/PSO and an assortment of other games. I became a Tank in Rift, and finally got to see the horror of a **** healer. The people who want Dual-Spec are the ones that I think would reasonably use it - would use it and know both aspects of their class. But the ones who will abuse it and ruin good parties are the idiots I don't want to deal with.

Now, don't misunderstand. As I've said, when they add it, they add it. I merely want them to focus on things that are more important first, and yes I do believe it takes away from diversity, I am fine with it. In the end, as an MMO, this game is destined to become the same Min/Max as every other MMO.

So true, but it doesn't apply to all of us. I wouldn't make it a sweeping generalization but those people are out there. Playing an MMO like EQ1 back in the day felt like a second job and that was one factor why I quit. I already have one job, don't want a second one. Games should be fun and I think some old school players seem to forget that.

Edited by Cosi

I see all these good arguments for why there should be dual spec but haven't heard any good ones for keeping it out. All I see is "No thanks." Or. "It ruins the game." How exactly does it ruin the game?

I see nothing wrong at all with Duel Spec. It only helps the community out because you always see people needing tanks/heals and if a person is specced dps but can tank, then that helps out the group to get going asap. Also it helps for pvp. Maybe some rather heal in pvp but dps for pve.

Post the link please, thank you in advance.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

Q: Since it has been clearly stated that there will not be dual specs for characters in the game, can you explain your philosophy behind the skill trees and how you are taking into account players that want to be able to play PvP and PvE content on the same character? - illumineart

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

I don't see why people would be against a dual spec. If you don't want to use it then it has completely no effect on your character in any way but for those that do want it it's a huge convenience and time/money saver.

There are a lot of things that would be convenient. That doesn't mean they're good for the game. Add every "convenience" option people often cry out for and your game goes right down the toilet.

I'm on the fence over dual-specs. I think they're unrealistic and unnecessary, given that we have eight character slots, but it *is* only eight. Still, if someone wants to play roles, multiple characters are a real option.

Edited by imtrick

Nice generalization. Part of my concern with dual-specs is always the lack of experience people have in their class - someone who has earned their blood being a healer is more likely to be a good healer than someone who switched to that spec 'because there's dualspec and I want a group!'

I started as a Healer in EQ/FFXI. I slowly worked into becoming DPS at times in WoW and FFXI, as well as PSU/PSO and an assortment of other games. I became a Tank in Rift, and finally got to see the horror of a **** healer. The people who want Dual-Spec are the ones that I think would reasonably use it - would use it and know both aspects of their class. But the ones who will abuse it and ruin good parties are the idiots I don't want to deal with.

Now, don't misunderstand. As I've said, when they add it, they add it. I merely want them to focus on things that are more important first, and yes I do believe it takes away from diversity, I am fine with it. In the end, as an MMO, this game is destined to become the same Min/Max as every other MMO.

I appreciate the civility!

There will always be idiots in every MMORPG. The genre started out as a haven for intellectuals. You never had any jocks from high school playing Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot. However, they're more casual than ever now, and TOR is not going to buck the trend.

A lot of seasoned MMO players have the same automatic reaction whenever they run into a player who isn't very good at the game. "Ew! A bad player! Block him! Filter him out of my gaming experience! Everyone insult him!"

We were all bad players once upon a time. There are indeed bad players who will always bad, but many of them can become good players if the community doesn't shun them the way they do now.

Many MMO vets set standards for players in group content and if a player doesn't measure up, they are ostracized.

I'm not saying every 'idiot' and 'bad player' needs to be taken under wing and tutored, but us vets could stand to be a little more tolerant of imperfect play.

From my experience in games like WoW and RIFT, dual spec exposes more pure-DPS players to tanking and healing. I watched many of my guildies and friends grow competent at these roles that they would have otherwise never explored due to a fear of spending dozens of hours crafting a tank or healer that they might end up sucking at.

I see all these good arguments for why there should be dual spec but haven't heard any good ones for keeping it out. All I see is "No thanks." Or. "It ruins the game." How exactly does it ruin the game?

I see nothing wrong at all with Duel Spec. It only helps the community out because you always see people needing tanks/heals and if a person is speced dps but can tank, then that helps out the group to get going asap. Also it helps for pvp. Maybe some rather heal in pvp but dps for pve.

The individuals that don't want it can quit or take advantage of something that has far more of a positive impact on the game than negative. Denying the usefulness of dual-spec is selfishness and it's ironic that people refuting the selfishness claim provide distinct examples of how selfish they are.

Personally, I'll use dual spec and I will be good at every spec my class has, because I can easily switch between two specs and get more time in playing them and not running to a trainer. Is that not logical dual-spec haters?

Edited by settledown

I support this idea, I'm an avid WoW player, I just recently quit WoW only days before playing this game, I still like WoW, and I plan on playing WoW again.

get mad bro, deal with it.

Just because haters hate WoW so much, they attack anything that can be attributed to WoW. get over yourself. This idea has nothing to do with WoW; it has everything to do with talent systems. If i have multiple options, i expect to be able to play them all at the drop of a hat.

Just like how i prefer a car to have a sun roof. I had one once and now a car w/o one isn't good enough for me. My expectations were elevated by better features. Who still wants a radio that was made in the 1950's? I actually prefer quality sound over novelty ideas.

/logiced

Denying the usefulness of dual-spec is selfishness and it's ironic that people refuting the selfishness claim provide distinct examples of how selfish they are.

No, it's not. This is a bit of an aside, but why is it that on forums like this, people always seem to assume that anyone who disagrees is doing it out of spite? That's just not true, and flinging insults doesn't make your case any more valid.

Different people want different things. If someone wants something other than what you want, that doesn't make that person any more selfish than you are for having your own preference.

Edited by imtrick

What I have found dual specs to be vey useful for are for being able to raid with friends no matter what our "main specs" happen to be. For example, friends that all rolled dps characters can play together just by having a couple switch to their tank or healing spec. It would be a bummer to not be able to play together just because we all happened to enjoy the same role. I personally am playing a healer, but most of my other friends have chosen dps roles.