Please introduce dual spec ASAP

Ultrazen

I'm leveling as a healer and 'earning my stripes' so to speak. If you take dual-spec out only the elite will have dual spec. i.e. if you got the credits to respec you can. That doesn't wash with me. You're trying to limit peoples ability to play the game artificially and the only ones that get hurt are the non-hardcore players. People are going to switch specs.

Question for the "stripe earners" do you want to take respecs out of the game? Seriously thats the next logical step.

bottom line tho, dual spec will be implemented not because it's cheesy or easy or feeds the masses of instant gratification whores, but because it's MORE FUN.

I've played EQ1 as recently as last year and you know I don't mind earning my stripes, but this is a new mmo and a new age for them. Time to move on.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dual spec for the fail. It will create a bunch of people that dont know how to play either spec well at all. Star Wars is a game of decisions, so make the decision and stick with it. Thus is the way of real life.

Edited by Qishari
edited to fix margins

Wrong, as a very good healer myself I watched it give the ability for people that sucked to be able to heal -- and then be actually chosen based on the fact they were a good TANK.

In fact I watched this happen alot. I have raided end game since the start of WoW and I can safely say my toon "Rokareot" if you want to look him up has seen alot... trust me when I say I watched DUAL spec make some people less viable and useful.

It became a (Well we dont need a healer XXX can change specs and heal right)?.. THUS taking person B right out of the equation. Now while you may say this is ok... it posed a problem in the game where people that could not get better or practice... got worse.

So while you may think it is one way based on YOUR need at the time, somewhere it affected the need for a person to stay a healer (perse) to become better or try it even.

I have been both.. and watching how Duel Specs really changed the way WoW and raiding got crappy made me see how much damage it did.

Remove the need and you have no reason for a lot of things.

Your guild was garbage then, sorry. In my guild you apped as a spec and you played that spec. If it was an alt night, a goof-around night, or a boss that had been on farm forever and we could underman it, then sure someone could switch.

If you were pugging then you deserve what you get for relying on a PUG.

Dual spec for the fail. It will create a bunch of people that dont know how to play either spec well at all. Star Wars is a game of decisions, so make the decision and stick with it. Thus is the way of real life.

Then those people won't get groups, because everyone on their server will know they are bad. I already have a list of "people to avoid" because they are bad at their chosen spec.

Edited by Bekkal

how does it harm you?

Because I am playing the game as it is intended.

I make a class choice and stick with it.

If I find I need a healer I group, if I find I need a tank I group.

What you want is one toon that carries a maxed out healing tree, a maxed out dps tree and a maxed out tanking tree that you can switch between instantly.

That is NOT how the game was designed to be played. Simple as that and it cheapens my game experience.

BW have already said a big NO to LFD on the basis that they want players to interact and form a community. I therefore doubt they will acquiesce to over powered demands like dual spec for the same reason.

You just want to be a one man army and that is not how the game is designed to be played.

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

For one very important reason, it would solve the looking for healer problem.

1. Specing heals isn't enough of a boost to healing to justify it as your only spec.

2. You tend to spend 90% of the game soloing missions, and having only a heal spec slows the game down quite a bit.

3. Constantly respecing isn't really a viable option long term for many reasons.

This game really could benefit from dual spec.

Dual spec is not at all needed (nor is group finder). FYI, all of my info is coming from the fact that I am playing a Jedi Sage specced into the Seer (healing) tree.

1. I have no problems healing in warfronts, flashpoints, or soloing where other people do. If it is not enough of a boost for you, don't use it.

2. If you are speding 90% of the game soloing, you need to get some friends and play the game with them or ask in generl chat if anyone wants to quest with you. I am ONLY soloing with my Sage so that I can experience the story my way, for now, and I have no problem soloing. Already have another character (Trooper) that I will only play when my friend is also online on his group only character.

3. Why are you constantly re-specing anyway? I started at level 10 in the Seer tree and have had no probelms. There really is no need to re-spec often at all unless you are just trying to blow through the quests as fast as you can in a DPS spec but be heals for flashpoints.

Also, I said this in one of the other many threads about adding a dual spec, so here I go again. I will allow Bioware to implement a dual spec tool into the game if, and only if, it hinders you in a way for using it. You now have the ability to learn the ways of two different paths, but with reduced stats or reduced skill power or something. I say this because of Bioware's whole philosophy of "Coices Matter". If you have learned two different fighting styles over just one, you will be hindered in both. "Jack of all trades, master of none" mentality. (Now let the hating commence)

Edited by Kemosobe

Stop soloing for starters? And/or stop playing DPSs?

Why bother to have classes at all? You people want a classless system with access to all the skills so you can cherry pick what you like and be able to change it when you desire.

You were probably being sarcastic, but... Actually... that would be totally awesome.

Imagine a system balanced around a number of ability choices, flexabile enough to let you change your abilities to suite your own specific playstyle, and how you want to approach your current task. Then, imagine a system that restricts you to a cookie cutter class, and only allows you to optimize it with awkward talent trees. The Rigid system also punishes you with high respec costs if you want to chance your talent tree choices.

No, really. I'd MUCH rather have the idea that you proposed as a joke.

On topic..... Just get rid of respec costs please. Respeccing on the fly seems a bit OP, but returning to a trainer and resetting talent points seems like a reasonable compromize that would be easy to implement. So... Just remove respec costs. Problem solved.

People saying they don't want dual spec are extremely unaware of our reasoning.

Actually it is the other way around.. We are fully aware of your reasoning as to why you want it.. You want to dumb the game down and be superman.. You want to be able to do everything with a single character.. You don't want to roll another character, so you want to dual spec so you don't have to..

Reasons we don't want dual speccing..

I don't want people rolling for off spec.. I don't want to roll a sage and then be pressured into created a healing spec so I can heal if needed.. If I wanted to heal, I would have made one.. This game allows you to play the game solo as your spec, you still do about the same DPS.. Not to mention you have companions that can augment your spec.. If you are heals.. You can get a DPS companion or a tank.. Qyzen is a beast when it comes to DPS.. He also happens to be a tank..

I don't want the loot issues nor do I want people trying to tell me how to play my character.. Besides, the best healers or tanks are those that want to be healers or tanks.. Not those that dual spec.. A person in my guild is making nothing but tanks.. My wife is making all the healers.. His wife is DPS and I am DPS.. I don't want to be left behind for a dps that can be a healer or tank..

Please understand.. There are real reasons that people don't want dual speccing.. I have yet to hear a real reason for dual speccing..

As for LFG?? Not a fan of that either.. This is an MMO.. How social is it to push a button and wait for spots to fill.. Even from other servers.. Will then ninja loot and be jerks because they know they are not with people from their own server.. LFG is the worst thing that could happen to this game.. I have no problem filling a group with chat or the LFG system already in the game.. You all should try it.. :cool:

What you want is one toon that carries a maxed out healing tree, a maxed out dps tree and a maxed out tanking tree that you can switch between instantly.

That is NOT how the game was designed to be played. Simple as that and it cheapens my game experience.

BW have already said a big NO to LFD on the basis that they want players to interact and form a community. I therefore doubt they will acquiesce to over powered demands like dual spec for the same reason.

You just want to be a one man army and that is not how the game is designed to be played.

Driz

What I want is for the entire server to be able to group for Heroic 4's more often, Flashpoints more often, and the community to grow and evolve as people get to know each other. I want this to happen in an organic way that promotes communication (I.e. no LFD). What I do not want is to have to track down a Skill Mentor every time I group because either I or someone else in my group needs to switch specs.

Leveling as a healing operative is less fun for me than leveling as a pvp-specced operative because I can't engage in random-encounter pvp in any meaningful fashion. Healing as an operative is what I want to do in groups. Spending a fortune respeccing because you have some "belief" about MMOs that is provably false is absurd.

You're the selfish one, and you have made no logical argument to support your position whereas I have made many in support of mine.

Edited by Bekkal

Driz

well I am sorry that bioware disagrees with you. they have already stated that they will be adding a dual spec. You are free to only play one spec, I still dont see how you are harmed by someone else having more choices with how they play the game and have fun.

if the game was designed the way you say, then there would be no ability to respec, that alone negates your claim.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

Q: Since it has been clearly stated that there will not be dual specs for characters in the game, can you explain your philosophy behind the skill trees and how you are taking into account players that want to be able to play PvP and PvE content on the same character? - illumineart

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

Edited by Basiliscus

Already confirmed it will be added eventually, so don't bother asking for them to do otherwise

Now the question is, when will it get added?

You got a source for that, other than the one thats says dual speccing is "something we would like to add..."?

Cus last time I checked that does not mean its definitely coming by any stretch....

Driz

I am going to say this.

Dual spec leads down the path to ezmode. Darkness lies down that path, nothing good can come of it. First we get Dual Spec... then we get a LFD feature... then, the next thing we know, we have Space Panda's running around.

I played WoW, I enjoyed having dual spec. But if I had known that it would lead down the path of darkness that it honestly did, I would have fought against it at the time.

well I am sorry that bioware disagrees with you. they have already stated that they will be adding a dual spec. You are free to only play one spec, I still dont see how you are harmed by someone else having more choices with how they play the game and have fun.

Lol...you guys still trying to pretend the words "want to add" mean "are definitely adding"...more fool you.

BW also said they wanted to add LFD and have since come out and said its not happening because they want to create a sense of community.

A series of one man army toons who dont need to rely on other classes at all does not sound like a community therefore I would hope BW stick to their guns on the whole community thing.

Dual speccing simply is not conducive to creating a community.

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

I am going to say this.

Dual spec leads down the path to ezmode. Darkness lies down that path, nothing good can come of it. First we get Dual Spec... then we get a LFD feature... then, the next thing we know, we have Space Panda's running around.

I played WoW, I enjoyed having dual spec. But if I had known that it would lead down the path of darkness that it honestly did, I would have fought against it at the time.

I really dont think dual spec caused WoW to be what it is today. The devs killed off Arthas, who was basically the Darth Vader of WoW, now they are sc****** the bottom of the lore bucket.

The mere point of 4 man flash points and need for 25% tanks and 25% healers will make dps cry out in agony for dual spec soon enough because no one will be able to find groups. 40-50 min queues in wow with 3:1:1 ratios were bad 30 min dps queues in Rift.... This game will top them all, then again i am playing tank...

Get a guild BS answer doesn't hold any watter, 16 man operations require 2 tanks, while runing flash points for 16 people require 4 tanks... so either people need to be tank but not taken to rading or they need to sit out and wait for tank to finish with other groups.

I am going to say this.

Well said my friend. We must not go down the path of the dark side.

You got a source for that, other than the one thats says dual speccing is "something we would like to add..."?

Cus last time I checked that does not mean its definitely coming by any stretch....

Driz

Q: Since it has been clearly stated that there will not be dual specs for characters in the game, can you explain your philosophy behind the skill trees and how you are taking into account players that want to be able to play PvP and PvE content on the same character? - illumineart

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

From http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

And there are other posts I'm sure. If you want confirmation, lrn2useGoogle

if the game was designed the way you say, then there would be no ability to respec, that alone negates your claim.

BS...the ability to respec at a cost which increases exponentially the more often you do it is a prime example that BW DID NOT intend you to respec often.

Your logic fails.

Driz

I want to not only dual spec, but dual class! I get light armor and shield drops for my merc that he can't use, this is wrong! I should also be able to switch these roles in combat as i never know which one will work better.

All of the above is sarcasm and isn't ment to hurt anyone's feelings.

Lol...you guys still trying to pretend the words "want to add" mean "are definitely adding"...more fool you.

BW also said they wanted to add LFD and have since come out and said its not happening because they want to create a sense of community.

A series of one man army toons who dont need to rely on other classes at all does not sound like a community therefore I would hope BW stick to their guns on the whole community thing.

Dual speccing simply is not conducive to creating a community.

Driz

The mere fact that you CAN respec, again, makes your point moot, all that is being asked is a little more convenience for a mechanic that is ALREADY IN THE GAME.