Hood Toggle has been "in the works" since February, 2012

Pingonaut

Did you miss that line there where you declare what all of those who are seeking immersion desire? For the record, nearly all players are seeking some level of immersion, that is why we are playing the game.

Immersion is fundamental to all entertainment media such as books, movies and games. The key is that what works for some does not work for others.

"All wanting things like this to improve their immersion." You're really exaggerating with that, "I doth declare what they all desire." If you read it in an extremely literal way I suppose you could see it that way. The general idea is that things like hood toggle, an immersion improvement, is what people want to improve their immersion. I'm sorry if I offended you in some weird way.

"Things like this."

it was listed in a state of the game in the beginning of 2013 as being one of the incoming qol features. Then, in a video q&a a few months later, Bruce said it was "too hard" to do. That was the last I've seen of it from BW but you can't get anything more official than from Jeff or Bruce in this game.

Was this an officially posted video or a video of a live Q&A?

Edited by Pingonaut

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was a pet project of damion, but i think hes hung up on achievements now. im not sure when was the last time he went to a cantina, but he was pretty jazzed about hood toggle at the SF one (not the EA GSF one... he wasnt there).

i remember the 1.2 or 1.3 PTS i was able to use kalligs helm with hood up and was psyched about it going live, but when it went live, kalligs didnt allow the hood to be up, and i was super sad.

this was a pet project of damion, but i think hes hung up on achievements now. im not sure when was the last time he went to a cantina, but he was pretty jazzed about hood toggle at the SF one (not the EA GSF one... he wasnt there).

i remember the 1.2 or 1.3 PTS i was able to use kalligs helm with hood up and was psyched about it going live, but when it went live, kalligs didnt allow the hood to be up, and i was super sad.

When was the last time he went to a cantina? I mean how long ago?

• Dev Post
It has been more than two years since the game launched, and that's two years of players asking for a way to toggle the hoods on their outfits. In this Community Q&A from February 2012 we were told that the hood toggle likely be in the next major patch after Game Update 1.2. Delays are acceptable, this is not.

He even goes so far as to say that the functionality will be available for our companions, as well. This means that the feature was being tested and worked on enough to where they could release such information. If there were problems or bugs with the hood toggle option that kept it from being released, why not tell us? Why just leave us in the dark, waiting for a word about it for two years?

Why did they suddenly stop talking about it? Did they forget? Were they hoping we would forget? Just give us some explanation. Be it good or bad news it cannot be worse than knowing nothing at all.

Hey Pingonaut,

I know that hood toggle is something we have talked about intermittently at some cantina tour events but I know we haven't made a more "formal" reply about it on the forums. We know that this is a feature that some players really want to have as another method of customization for their characters. As it stands right now, this is not a feature we are actively working on. However, I can tell you that our team also has interest in this as a feature and it is something we regularly revisit to try to fit into our development schedule. Unfortunately it just isn't something that is in the cards at this time.

Hope that answers your question.

-eric

Hey Pingonaut,

I know that hood toggle is something we have talked about intermittently at some cantina tour events but I know we haven't made a more "formal" reply about it on the forums. We know that this is a feature that some players really want to have as another method of customization for their characters. As it stands right now, this is not a feature we are actively working on. However, I can tell you that our team also has interest in this as a feature and it is something we regularly revisit to try to fit into our development schedule. Unfortunately it just isn't something that is in the cards at this time.

-eric

And there you have it. Time to move on, at least for now.

Hey Pingonaut,

-eric

That's good to know but what exactly happened that caused it to fall out of the plans to be in next update after 1.2. It's good that you tell us things but some of us would like to know the why behind it? Was it a simple you didn't have enough resources after the layoffs or ran into an unexpected bug that would of taken a lot of work to get around?

Edited by MarsherMeow

Hey Pingonaut,

-eric

Other than housing what is being worked on?

While I can imagine that adding a hood to something that doesn't have one is a lot of work there are some types of head gear that have removed hoods. Surely then most hooded armour already has the option to have it removed built in. So a remove hood is a more simple option that I can't imagine will take that long to implement. While not in the same league as class story or generic story or new content or new playable species it is something people want and I would have thought a fairly easy cost effective way to make at least some people happy.

Now clearly if its the choice between a hood toggle or a new species I know where my money would go but is it really that time intensive a project?

O boy, might as well delete this thread now, this is going to have a huge snowball effect about how this relates to everything that is wrong in swtor, sorry eric.

Ps I've seen a couple outfits that was like man wish that didn't have a hood, but this is not important to me at all.

Hey Pingonaut,

-eric

Time for a new excuse, every single time its "oh well we said that but were weren't being quite serious enough ty have a nice day" for every bloody thing you guys get called out on.

Do I care that the function got scrapped for the meantime, no not at all, im just sick of reading the same excuse for everything.

Please Man Up.

On a side now Learn to Manage your forums from the best http://forums.marvelheroes.com/ they post and interact with players more in a day then you guys do in a year.

Edited by WillHolmes

That's good to know but what exactly happened that caused it to fall out of the plans to be in next update after 1.2. It's good that you tell us things but some of us would like to know the why behind it? Was it a simple you didn't have enough resources after the layoffs or ran into an unexpected bug that would of taken a lot of work to get around?

I'll tell you what happened... after 1.2, the game lost a million subs and EA took the whole thing in another direction after letting half of the original development team go.

That is why so much of what was "originally talked about" means nothing today. F2P and CM have changed a lot.

Except they AREN'T working on it.

You don't know that...they could be...they were 2-years ago! And if you should have learned anything from their comments 2-years ago, it's that you shouldn't trust anything they say.

You don't know that...they could be...they were 2-years ago! And if you should have learned anything from their comments 2-years ago, it's that you shouldn't trust anything they say.

Not sure if you missed the dev post up above but they just said that they aren't right now.

Not sure if you missed the dev post up above but they just said that they aren't right now.

They weren't then (allegedly), they could be now. They were in 2012. Could be an on again, off again type of project.

Hey Pingonaut,

-eric

First thanks for a clear and bold answer.

Honestly we see more of them lately and while the content is kind of sad it's good to have a real answer.

Now it might sound being picky about your wording but the following raises an eyebrow:

We know that this is a feature that some players really want to have as another method of customization for their characters.

The first part seems to mean: as only few players wants it, we can't really afford to do that right now.

The second part initially left me a bit puzzled as what it really meant or should we say what are the real consequences. For now it looks like, and I hope I'm wrong, that character customization isn't that important for the producer.

Then some of us don't get how it's that complicated (ie: costly) to develop and as such not already implemented.

You already have most of the functionality as some of the head gear actually hide hoods

So?

Because if they did it properly, they would have to revisit pretty much every item that has a hood because the head gear doesn't lower the hood, it removes it. That's not a hood toggle. Also, what about items with the hood lowered? Like Relnex? They would have to add a hood up version to all those items as well, and there are a ton.

If they don't, people would scream and whine that they are lazy. So, before people make the typical nonsensical "I know better than actual Devs", please consider things from a broader perspective than just what *you* think.

Now it might sound being picky about your wording but the following raises an eyebrow:

The first part seems to mean: as only few players wants it, we can't really afford to do that right now.

The second part initially left me a bit puzzled as what it really meant or should we say what are the real consequences. For now it looks like, and I hope I'm wrong, that character customization isn't that important for the producer.

Then some of us don't get how it's that complicated (ie: costly) to develop and as such not already implemented.

You already have most of the functionality as some of the head gear actually hide hoods

So?

Take off the tinfoil hat.

Some players = Not all players.

He didn't say 12 players, he didn't say 376,000 players.

It's a generic phrase.

Clearly there are some players that couldn't care less about hood toggles and therefore it would be inaccurate to say "everyone."

Another method = in addition to the existing customization methods.

Again, it's a generic phrase and not a sign of exasperation that players are demanding even more than we've already been given.

Having every statement they make scrutinized like this is exactly why it's so hard to get information from them.

Other than housing what is being worked on?

While I can imagine that adding a hood to something that doesn't have one is a lot of work there are some types of head gear that have removed hoods. Surely then most hooded armour already has the option to have it removed built in. So a remove hood is a more simple option that I can't imagine will take that long to implement. While not in the same league as class story or generic story or new content or new playable species it is something people want and I would have thought a fairly easy cost effective way to make at least some people happy.

Now clearly if its the choice between a hood toggle or a new species I know where my money would go but is it really that time intensive a project?

Remember they are working on the 2nd paid expansion along side of GSH so that's taking up most of their Dev work