ETA on Faction Change and Cost

Superman_AZ

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well its alot more complicated than that.

for instance companions, they are tied to your char story, so how would they transfer? Would they just magically change to imp side versions?

The other issue is your class, say you are a Commando and swap to Imperial. Do you suddenly become a Merc (with two blasters instead of an assault cannon)?

Ship would be your other issue since those are also faction specific.

There is just too much tied to faction, class, gender, and story to just simply state (let us change _____ ) and ignore impacts/consequences.

I'm just happy Eric was nice enough to stop by and give us a more clear direction as to why it is extremely unlikely. Who knows? 10 years from now, things may be less complicated and it becomes more of a possibility. But for now, I have my answer.

I would be in favor of that. We could even call it an AC swap :D

AC has nothing to do with it though, I simply believe that allowing people to reply the biggest draw to this game would be a great move. Class story is broken up over a couple months 1-55. Allowing me to reply it with no distractions would be a draw for me since I skipped over everything I could while leveling.

AC has nothing to do with it though, I simply believe that allowing people to reply the biggest draw to this game would be a great move. Class story is broken up over a couple months 1-55. Allowing me to reply it with no distractions would be a draw for me since I skipped over everything I could while leveling.

I think having the option to replay your class story would be brilliant! Maybe selecting a quest terminal in your stronghold allows you to relive your 'glory years'. Get to play through the class story from start to finish as much as you want, but as for how the game treats you it'll still be based off your first playthrough.

Even better would be to also have the options to replay your class quests as a movie (with or without requiring you to actually do the full mission again) with the same dialog options that you already picked. Instead of the convo wheel it just plays straight through (you know, like a normal conversation).

It's been about two and a half years now since I've done some of my quests, and with all of the side quests that served as distractions, I've forgotten a lot of the stories.

I think having the option to replay your class story would be brilliant! Maybe selecting a quest terminal in your stronghold allows you to relive your 'glory years'. Get to play through the class story from start to finish as much as you want, but as for how the game treats you it'll still be based off your first playthrough.

Exactly!!! No "resets" on what you've done, just the ability to blow threw it again to enjoy the story. And for companion conflicts, that could be handled by either locking out the conflicting companion or ignoring what companion you have altogether.

Agreed. I would enjoy the idea of replaying just the class items at 55/60.

Hey folks,

This is a good question! We have been asked this a few times at some of our Cantina Tours as well but I wanted to make sure we had the answer here in the forums for folks to be able to find it.

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change. As some others have alluded to in this thread, a very many things are tied into your characters Faction, and the choices they have made throughout their story. Due to that, having your faction change has a lot of impact on many things, not only from a story sense, but also technically involving your character.

Because of that, it is very unlikely we will ever implement Faction change.

-eric

Good to hear. This is one of the few things I am very strongly against.

Now if you could strike down the class change threads as well that would be great.

Good to hear. This is one of the few things I am very strongly against.

Now if you could strike down the class change threads as well that would be great.

Interesting and harsh choice in words. Maybe Let down, or Ease down, or break it to, might be better fitting. :) No one likes to hear No, but when done with tact, it is more easily received.

I found this to be an extremely ironic statement, coming from you. :)

I am tactful when it comes to those who show respect, they get said respect in return. However, I am under no obligation to show tact to those who seldom exhibit it either ;)

How would that solve turning your BH into a Trooper? :rak_02:

On a related note, I was talking with Guildies about the idea of an Imperial Trooper Class/Story being added down the road...

"Dude, it wouldn't work."

"And why not?"

"It'd last about three missions and when you did something that a Sith disliked, you'd end up Force Choked to death."

"Valid point."

On a related note, I was talking with Guildies about the idea of an Imperial Trooper Class/Story being added down the road...

"Dude, it wouldn't work."

"And why not?"

"It'd last about three missions and when you did something that a Sith disliked, you'd end up Force Choked to death."

"Valid point."

True, if it were a story with a terminus. But, in a game world, where you are the hero, regardless of your affiliations, I would imagine a rogue trooper (level 55), breaks away from Havoc squad much the same way the original team betrays the Republic, would make for an interesting twist. You spend all this time tracking them down, killing them, and then... taking their place :) Plot twists are awesome. Though, in this case, we are talking more about defectors and less about the physical change from BH to Trooper, or Jedi to Sith. I think the defector's thing could work, if they wanted to give it a go.

True, if it were a story with a terminus. But, in a game world, where you are the hero, regardless of your affiliations, I would imagine a rogue trooper (level 55), breaks away from Havoc squad much the same way the original team betrays the Republic, would make for an interesting twist. You spend all this time tracking them down, killing them, and then... taking their place :) Plot twists are awesome. Though, in this case, we are talking more about defectors and less about the physical change from BH to Trooper, or Jedi to Sith. I think the defector's thing could work, if they wanted to give it a go.

ok, lets work this out and hopefully point out the problems.

char becomes a traitor and chooses to swap factions.

a) char either changes to the equivalent "BH class" and some how magically has a new spouse and companions

b) char remains a trooper but is now walking around an imp fleet with rest of companions (who wouldn't swap)

c) char remains a trooper but is a traitor still walking around pub fleet

given a) you have problems with swapping gear, companions, ship, titles, plot points, etc. which is what everyone ignores when requesting _____Swap

given b) you are completely out of place and should be killed by the first person to see you makes zero sense and is meaningless outside that you somehow magically gain access to imp fleet while retaining everything pub.

given c) this is basically the "RP" version" and you are free to play fairytale anyway you wish as it keeps everything as is, you just "pretened" you defected.

Hey folks,

This is a good question! We have been asked this a few times at some of our Cantina Tours as well but I wanted to make sure we had the answer here in the forums for folks to be able to find it.

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change. As some others have alluded to in this thread, a very many things are tied into your characters Faction, and the choices they have made throughout their story. Due to that, having your faction change has a lot of impact on many things, not only from a story sense, but also technically involving your character.

Because of that, it is very unlikely we will ever implement Faction change.

-eric

What if the class story itself provided a reasonable way of changing factions?

One of the way's you can end the imperial agent story is by becoming a republic double agent for the SIS. So if the class story was ever expanded...well I'm sure you can see where I'm going :)

What if the class story itself provided a reasonable way of changing factions?

One of the way's you can end the imperial agent story is by becoming a republic double agent for the SIS. So if the class story was ever expanded...well I'm sure you can see where I'm going :)

As has been pointed out, your char may switch sides, but even those within a position to do so may find it impossible due to companions.

At least three of your example's companions would throw an ungodly fit if your example were to try and switch sides. The other two probably wouldn't care much, though.

I don't see it a big deal. Even a busy person can level up relevantly quick and make a mirror of their class in TOR. This is one thing I really like about TOR, compared to WoW, you level really quick.

we definitely have very different experiences.

becasue I level a lot slower in SWTOR then I do in WoW. maybe its due to actualy listening to conversations, not sure, but even when I add flashpoints into the mix, it still takes me a lot longer to level then in WoW. :/

How would that solve turning your BH into a Trooper? :rak_02:

It's trivial to level a character on the other faction to 55. It's the equip that's an issue. If I have a BH with all BoL gear, all I have to do is create a trooper, level him up to 55 and then transfer all my gear. The investment of time in the toon is not the levels, it's the gear.

we definitely have very different experiences.

becasue I level a lot slower in SWTOR then I do in WoW. maybe its due to actualy listening to conversations, not sure, but even when I add flashpoints into the mix, it still takes me a lot longer to level then in WoW. :/

I'm curious (never having played WoW), how long does it take you to level a toon in that game?

I tried to find something about this when they started selling level 90 unlocks, and found a few people saying it takes about 150 hours to level a toon to 90. Is that your experience as well?

Take a PTS character, jump to 55, then play the class missions. Easy as that.