ETA on Faction Change and Cost

Superman_AZ

It's trivial to level a character on the other faction to 55. It's the equip that's an issue. If I have a BH with all BoL gear, all I have to do is create a trooper, level him up to 55 and then transfer all my gear. The investment of time in the toon is not the levels, it's the gear.

If you are gearing him to raid, which I am not. Otherwise, it takes 5 days to level a character and 5 minutes to gear him. With your suggestion, I would spend 10 days leveling and 5 minutes gearing.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are gearing him to raid, which I am not. Otherwise, it takes 5 days to level a character and 5 minutes to gear him. With your suggestion, I would spend 10 days leveling and 5 minutes gearing.

Five days? Is this game all you do?

we definitely have very different experiences.

becasue I level a lot slower in SWTOR then I do in WoW. maybe its due to actualy listening to conversations, not sure, but even when I add flashpoints into the mix, it still takes me a lot longer to level then in WoW. :/

Same for me. In WoW, my trip to 85 was 27 hours. In SWTOR, much longer. I actually want to hear the dialogue, and follow the interactions. In WoW, an addon will auto accept and turn in a quest while selecting the best reward and equipping it to you. There is so much more complexity in the SWTOR stories. So far, the Agent seems to be my favorite.

I'm curious (never having played WoW), how long does it take you to level a toon in that game?

I tried to find something about this when they started selling level 90 unlocks, and found a few people saying it takes about 150 hours to level a toon to 90. Is that your experience as well?

last character I leveled which was mistweaver monk? took me a little over a week from lvl 1 to 90. probably less actualy. I did have leveling bonuses on her, but I'm also counting that week as real time, not play time (I did a mix of questing and dungeons, basically the same thing I tend to do in SWTOR). I'm currently not subscribed and haven't been for at least half a year, so I cannot check /played time.

in SWTOR, even with xp boosts and guild xp boost, it takes me several weeks to level a character, of approximately same playstyle. double xp weekends cut it down somewhat, but they are few and far in between.

it used to take longer to level. after all it took me a month back in BC to get my first character to 70 (a little less to get my second, since I was a bit more familiar with a game at that point) but they kept reducing amount of xp you need to go from level to level, to the point where even if you ARE trying to quest to level, you outlevel the zone you started in, long before you get anywhere near the end of it.

Five days? Is this game all you do?

No. I have a business to run, a house to maintain, a wife to spend time with, dogs to walk, and I do woodworking in my garage. But, with XP Bonuses, guild xp, rested xp, legacy xp, boosts and more, you can eliminate most of the side missions. During a Double XP weekend, I seldom do anything other than class mission quests.

And hey, wait, why does BioWare swing in within a few pages to explain Faction Change fully but is completely silent about the AC thread for like... literally a year despite it still going?

VERY MYSTERIOUS.

Silence is it's own particular type of reply.

And hey, wait, why does BioWare swing in within a few pages to explain Faction Change fully but is completely silent about the AC thread for like... literally a year despite it still going?

VERY MYSTERIOUS.

Good question. In 47 threads, with 240+ pages in the largest one... makes you wonder why that topic is avoided. My guess would be the answer they would give would not be the one the proponents of the thread are interested in hearing. This way, instead of jamming a stick in the hornet's nest, they can just leave the nest alone til it fizzles out and the hornets move along.

I'm fairly certain that was only available during that one testing session. Not a very good solution if it's impossible to do. ;)

I don't see why not. ;)

Anyway, it was just a thought. I guess the next best solution is just to watch YouTube videos. :eek:

Good question. In 47 threads, with 240+ pages in the largest one... makes you wonder why that topic is avoided. My guess would be the answer they would give would not be the one the proponents of the thread are interested in hearing. This way, instead of jamming a stick in the hornet's nest, they can just leave the nest alone til it fizzles out and the hornets move along.

more likely - they are still working on the possibility and don't have definitive answer yet so they are staying silent until they have one, while faction change is basically "no"

more likely - they are still working on the possibility and don't have definitive answer yet so they are staying silent until they have one, while faction change is basically "no"

If they were working on it, I would imagine a 10 second post like:

Hey Everyone,

This is something we are still looking into. I would not anticipate seeing it soon, but it is still on our radar, and sometime in the future, we can certainly see this as being a feature. Not saying "no", just saying "not right now".

Pretty simple and ambiguous and would at least tell people they are even considering it.

VERY MYSTERIOUS.

Just because they don't give you a weekly update on this doesn't mean they are "completely silent". They've already said several times in the past that it's something they'd like to implement but it's not high on their list of priorities and there's no timetable on implementing this. Do they need to keep posting this statement every week to to let you know that nothing has changed in regards to AC changes?

Hopefully, today's post will end the weekly faction change threads, but that's doubtful as most people don't bother to search for info on stuff before posting threads.

If they were working on it, I would imagine a 10 second post like:

Hey Everyone,

This is something we are still looking into. I would not anticipate seeing it soon, but it is still on our radar, and sometime in the future, we can certainly see this as being a feature. Not saying "no", just saying "not right now".

Pretty simple and ambiguous and would at least tell people they are even considering it.

except... they have done something like that before and it made things worse, hell last time they said something like that is what started the whole thread in a first place. so I don't blame them for wanting to be sure before saying anything more.

except... they have done something like that before and it made things worse, hell last time they said something like that is what started the whole thread in a first place. so I don't blame them for wanting to be sure before saying anything more.

Yep, the incessant and unending threads is 'exactly' why they don't say something unless they know for certain that it's going to happen.

Because if they make an offhanded remark, it'll be quoted, engraved, laminated and turned into wallpapers to be saved and used and repeated at length for the next five years by anyone who wants to see that remark made into reality.

Hey folks,

This is a good question! We have been asked this a few times at some of our Cantina Tours as well but I wanted to make sure we had the answer here in the forums for folks to be able to find it.

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change. As some others have alluded to in this thread, a very many things are tied into your characters Faction, and the choices they have made throughout their story. Due to that, having your faction change has a lot of impact on many things, not only from a story sense, but also technically involving your character.

Because of that, it is very unlikely we will ever implement Faction change.

-eric

I think having the ability or option to defect to a different faction could help progress and increase story possibilities..

I think having the ability or option to defect to a different faction could help progress and increase story possibilities..

What do you do with the companions? The stories I've seen, the companions are almost always as dedicated to your faction as you, the Bounty Hunter excepted.

Can you imagine Havok Squad going with you?

So, if they don't, what then? Do you have them make up new companions? Where do they come from?

You might as well just roll a BH and pretend like he's a rogue Trooper who abandoned the Republic and go from there.

They've already said several times in the past that it's something they'd like to implement but it's not high on their list of priorities and there's no timetable on implementing this. Do they need to keep posting this statement every week to to let you know that nothing has changed in regards to AC changes?
Since the last statement about it was in 2012... yep, we could do with an update.

Which is my point — it's been almost 2 years since they last commented on it. Once could easily assume "Well, that idea's been scrapped". Wouldn't be surprising.

Buuuuuut while Mr. Musco is going around closing doors on definite "NOPE.GIF" ideas, the AC swap remains totally silent.

That's interesting.

Good question. In 47 threads, with 240+ pages in the largest one... makes you wonder why that topic is avoided. My guess would be the answer they would give would not be the one the proponents of the thread are interested in hearing.
Like... showing up in a Faction Swap thread to say that Faction Swaps aren't happening. :confused:

It's more likely to be the opposite — it's still on the table, and rather than unleash a thermonuclear firestorm of speculation, rage, and anticipation, they're just letting the topic simmer.

The contrast is interesting. Faction Change is just "No." AC change is quietly not locked, yet not commented on either. That suggests it's still a definite possibility.

If anything, that nightmare brawl of a thread may be considered an interesting social petri dish to BioWare sort-of testing the waters about potential community reaction.

Edited by SW_display_name