ETA on Faction Change and Cost

Superman_AZ

Actually, I walked away from that one, just as I will walk away from this one. The goal was take the argument out of the comfort zone of that thread, and reveal it from another angle. As for being hostile, or aggressive, I am neither. In fact, this topic is actually growing more boring by the minute. Strange thing about text on a page, everyone always assumes the other person is mad, or bent outta shape, when in fact, I've barely elevated my pulse by typing in here. People should stop assuming that everything everyone ever says is fighting and that they are mad.

If you had really walked away from that thread, you wouldn't have created this thread just to prove that everyone in there that wants the AC change is wrong, and unlikely to get their wish. I should add that someone can post aggressively without being mad or angry. Some of your posts seem hostile in their language, almost as if you're intentionally trying to bait people. As others have said in other threads, you need to dial it back a little.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if they did do this. For the most part the classes are the same for both sides with only story differences of course. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who would like to see this as an option.

Being able to buy a faction change (or an Advanced Class change) removes the need to level a toon to play the end-game content with a different AC or faction. While some players may like that, it has a negative impact on the game because it reduces the number of players who are leveling low-level toons.

Here's the reasoning: When a new player joins SWTOR, it is nice if they had plenty of people to do PvP, FPs, and Heroics with, and nicer still if those people had some experience and could provide them with advice and the like. Reducing the number of experienced people who are leveling alts by letting them buy their way out of doing so would therefor have some negative effects on new players.

So while short-term, letting players buy a faction or AC change might make BW a little money, it might also lead to fewer new people staying with the game because they never got involved with the veteran community when they started leveling.

BW doesn't just want your money - they want you online, playing the game, because an MMO needs that. There is only so much you can do solo on this game.

BW doesn't just want your money - they want you online, playing the game, because an MMO needs that. There is only so much you can do solo on this game.

I agree with you on this point...to an extent...Bioware wants your $, they don't give a flip if you play or not.

Edited by TUXs

and now I am in the mood for steak :D

All I saw was steak...

I think it would be cool to see this. Not sure if I'd ever use it but I think the more options players have the better. The game needs to have a higher QOL and higher fun factor than other games.

I agree with you on this point...to an extent...Bioware wants your $, they don't give a flip if you play or not.

I'll bet you there are people working on this game at Bioware (as in, individuals) who DO care whether or not people are playing the game.

I can't imagine an artist, coder, writer, designer or any other creative personnel in the video game industry that didn't give a crap if anyone liked their product or wanted to play it. Surely you can imagine how someone would be happy if other people play a game they helped create.

I would only want to see faction changes if we could keep our current class. Still not sure I would do it, but I wouldn't want a class change to go with it. And, logistically, it just doesn't make sense from a story standpoint. And, anyway, what would happen when they expand stories or whatever? How can I justify a Dark V assassin joining the republic? Would I need to have neutral or light alignment? But then again, why shouldn't a bounty hunter be able to work for the republic? I'm a hired gun... I go where the money is and I'm sure the republic has plenty.

I kinda don't know how this would work all things considered.

The only way I could really imagine it is if they restricted it to level 60, and from next xpac forward designed with 4 overall plots:

• Republic loyalist
  • Imperial defector
  • Imperial loyalist
  • Republic defector

Essentially, there's still the 2 "Republic" and "Imperial" storylines, but you can undergo a betrayal quest that affects all content from 60 forward. This means they don't have to touch the 1-55 storyline or its complicated flags — you were a Jedi, but now, you're a Sith. etc.

So all they have to do is acknowledge your "past" sometimes in NPC dialogues and then otherwise leave it alone.

Not sure how they would explain your new Crew, though, unless part of your Faction Change was the penalty of being stuck with only neutral Companions (since your old Crew abandoned you in horror), or they somehow explain why all your Companions come with you.

It's workable with enough limits set. Could even be kind of cool, giving each faction "two" of each class plotwise — Hero of Tython, and Redeemed Wrath... etc etc.

The question then becomes, "Is it worth the effort and time to implement?"

I'll bet you there are people working on this game at Bioware (as in, individuals) who DO care whether or not people are playing the game.

I can't imagine an artist, coder, writer, designer or any other creative personnel in the video game industry that didn't give a crap if anyone liked their product or wanted to play it. Surely you can imagine how someone would be happy if other people play a game they helped create.

On a personal level, I'm sure they do. People like Chris, who created GSF, I'm sure he cares on a personal level that you play and enjoy GSF, but EA/Bioware as a whole is much more concerned with your $ than you playing.

On a personal level, I'm sure they do. People like Chris, who created GSF, I'm sure he cares on a personal level that you play and enjoy GSF, but EA/Bioware as a whole is much more concerned with your $ than you playing.

Agreed. Regardless of their personal opinions, when it comes to BW, or ANY $ MMO for that matter, we are just 16 Digit credit card numbers to them. Nothing more, nothing less. They will hug us and high fives us as fans for the great publicity, but never assume we are anything more than paychecks to them.

This is technically difficult and completely pointless. Why would you ever want to switch factions? Sure, some of the combat abilities are mirrored, but that doesn't mean that a Juggernaut is nothing but a Guardian in black armor with red animations instead of blue.

Seriously... if you want a toon of the opposite faction, roll one! It's not like it takes long to level a character, especially with the subscriber bonus and all the flashpoint content we have access to from level 10 or 15. I jut skipped half of Dromund Kas because I am so over levelled from running FPs... and I'll be over levelled when I reach Balmorra too.

This is a total non-issue.

This is a total non-issue.

Never said it was an issue, simply suggesting an alternate concept. Had I stormed in here yelling about how broken the game is and how this is a much needed addition to it, then you could use that comment. As it stands, it really isn't an issue, but thanks for your input.

Well, considering the thread about the much easier to implement AC class change is a year old and approaching 500 pages with no word of any kind from Bioware, I would say this thread is a complete non-starter.

Sure, ask all you like. Its free. I just think you knew the answer before starting this thread.

Never said it was an issue, simply suggesting an alternate concept. Had I stormed in here yelling about how broken the game is and how this is a much needed addition to it, then you could use that comment. As it stands, it really isn't an issue, but thanks for your input.

Well, since you ignored the bulk of my post and chose to twist the meaning of my last sentence, let me spell it out for you: this alternate concept is unnecessary, undesirable, is designed to address a demand that isn't present, should not be met if it were, and it would siphon resources away from things that actually matter.

It would be interesting to have stories, that lead up to having the option to change sides, or remain steadfast...mmm stories. Yes, I like stories.

Do I see this happening though? Unfortunately for the OP...I don't see it happening any time soon.

Edited by Lunafox

Well, since you ignored the bulk of my post and chose to twist the meaning of my last sentence, let me spell it out for you: this alternate concept is unnecessary, undesirable, is designed to address a demand that isn't present, should not be met if it were, and it would siphon resources away from things that actually matter.

I knew what you meant, but didn't bother addressing it all. Wasn't really important. To quote a more well known phrase from another game: "It's gonna cost us a raid tier."

Well, considering the thread about the much easier to implement AC class change is a year old and approaching 500 pages with no word of any kind from Bioware, I would say this thread is a complete non-starter.

Sure, ask all you like. Its free. I just think you knew the answer before starting this thread.

With a feature removed at launch and no answer in the prior 47 threads, I'm guessing the others had their answer too. Just figured I would toss this out there since ACs are on the table, might as well put something else on their plate. Though I suspect this topic and the AC topic will likely get pushed aside... like broccoli in lieu of the mac n cheese.

If a character can swap species why can't they swap gender?

Since you can race change in a video game... they could. Oh yeah, this is just a video game... so I suppose anything is possible. Race change, faction change, WoW has it all. What they don't have is a Class change. Maybe BW should catchup. ;)

Edited by Superman_AZ

Since you can race change in a video game... they could. Oh yeah, this is just a video game... so I suppose anything is possible. Race change, faction change, WoW has it all. What they don't have is a Class change. Maybe BW should catchup. ;)

You can change Species because it is just a cosmetic choice. You can't change gender because there are underlying technical issues with conversation tracking in companion romances.

You can't change Faction because there is an underlying technical issue with tracking quest flags as you progress through the class quests, and the associated companion arcs. What you are asking for with a Faction change (or a Class change) is a change in story, something I don't recall WoW having that much of.

AC swap is a matter best left for the other thread.