ETA on Faction Change and Cost

Superman_AZ

except... they have done something like that before and it made things worse, hell last time they said something like that is what started the whole thread in a first place. so I don't blame them for wanting to be sure before saying anything more.

The last thing they said on this topic was 18 months ago, and no one will talk about it. I make a thread and 24 hours later have a response. Feel free to think as you please, but I would lay money on what I said as being the real reason. When there is nothing to hide, there is nothing to fear. But since there have only been 47 threads out of a few hundred thousand on this site, the topic is likely not even a concern. But if that were true, how did I warrant a response?

Ponderous man... really ponderous.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The contrast is interesting. Faction Change is just "No." AC change is quietly not locked, yet not commented on either. That suggests it's still a definite possibility.

It wasn't a "no", just a very, very unlikely. So, with AC, they could say:

This is likely, just not at this time.

That would give people hope without a real yes or no. The main problem is, some of those people are so keyed up, something like that could spark even more speculation and would get twisted into:

WOOHOO! They said YES!!!!!

Things tend to get blown out of proportion in threads, and they are likely just better off letting people hope for the best rather than prepare them for the worst.

It wasn't a "no", just a very, very unlikely. So, with AC, they could say:

This is likely, just not at this time.

That would give people hope without a real yes or no. The main problem is, some of those people are so keyed up, something like that could spark even more speculation and would get twisted into:

WOOHOO! They said YES!!!!!

Things tend to get blown out of proportion in threads, and they are likely just better off letting people hope for the best rather than prepare them for the worst.

Or...they could say nothing more on the topic and just spring it on us when it's ready, kinda like they did with housing.

Hey folks,

This is a good question! We have been asked this a few times at some of our Cantina Tours as well but I wanted to make sure we had the answer here in the forums for folks to be able to find it.

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change. As some others have alluded to in this thread, a very many things are tied into your characters Faction, and the choices they have made throughout their story. Due to that, having your faction change has a lot of impact on many things, not only from a story sense, but also technically involving your character.

Because of that, it is very unlikely we will ever implement Faction change.

-eric

This is actually outstanding news. There's too many imps as it is and allowing a faction change would only make it a lot worse.

I know that some imp players would probably like the opportunity to switch over to the Republic with a max level character, but way more pubs would change than imps. it's just human nature to want to join the perceived "winning" or "cool" side because reasons. Look what happened to WoW. As soon as faction change was available an overwhelming number of Alliance players and guilds changed to Horde.

Today, WoW is an incredibly one-sided game with a definite Horde-centric feel. SWTOR already has an imperial feel, imagine how it would be if BW allowed faction changes. They'd pretty much have to turn the game into a one faction MMO and then change the PvP servers to FFA.

Again, I see little harm in someone changing over to opposite faction, through a short quest perhaps, to their mirror class and spec at level cap.

1) The class story has concluded

2) The class is mirrored, difference in gameplay style (with a matched spec) is almost non-existent.

For instance, there is little to differentiate a rage build for a warrior from a focus build for a knight. They were specifically designed to be almost exact mirrors to each other. Therefore, someone that plays that spec on the Republic side can probably drop into the same spec in Warrior with little to no difficulty.

It would be important, IMO, that the initial transformation be from one identical spec to another.

I would say that Mr Musco's stance of never saying never, considering the games recent design history is a wise move ;)

But it seems they are not too keen on the idea at present. Considering the amount of work to make sure everything changed over properly (titles and the like) I can understand why.

Edited by LordArtemis

Again, I see little harm in someone changing over to opposite faction, through a short quest perhaps, to their mirror class and spec at level cap.

1) The class story has concluded

2) The class is mirrored, difference in gameplay style (with a matched spec) is almost non-existent.

For instance, there is little to differentiate a rage build for a warrior from a focus build for a knight. They were specifically designed to be almost exact mirrors to each other. Therefore, someone that plays that spec on the Republic side can probably drop into the same spec in Warrior with little to no difficulty.

It would be important, IMO, that the initial transformation be from one identical spec to another.

I would say that Mr Musco's stance of never saying never, considering the games recent design history is a wise move ;)

But it seems they are not too keen on the idea at present. Considering the amount of work to make sure everything changed over properly (titles and the like) I can understand why.

/Agreed

Now, if we could only kidnap Mr Musco for 10 minutes and get him to make a comment in the AC change thread.....

probably won't happens as it doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as faction change. my prediction is few months down the road, after strongholds and stuff we MIGHT hear more definitive yes or no. but I think its highly unlikely that we will hear anything before that.

Why not just give a warning when someone requests a faction change that all of their previous class' specific things like story and companion missions will be reset? Let them start at chapter 1 with their new faction. I know there are countless complications to faction changes, but I think the class specific story line argument is a weak one.

Hey folks,

This is a good question! We have been asked this a few times at some of our Cantina Tours as well but I wanted to make sure we had the answer here in the forums for folks to be able to find it.

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change. As some others have alluded to in this thread, a very many things are tied into your characters Faction, and the choices they have made throughout their story. Due to that, having your faction change has a lot of impact on many things, not only from a story sense, but also technically involving your character.

-eric

I stopped doing the stories six alts ago. Is there a checkmark for not giving a freak about the story options or something like that in order to do a faction change?

Hey folks,

-eric

Guess some would be disappointed still it's understandable such drastic changes would need major efforts to make them smooth. Your honest answer at least makes it clear, still you left the door open as we all know nothing is definitive in MMO.

Now it would be appreciated if you could come up with similar answers regarding hot topics like:

• Dual (or multi) specs
  • Advanced Class changes
  • Companion body customization
  • Companions kits (class change)
  • Chat bubbles

Seems to me letting these topics rot is worse than getting a clear and honest answer.

You will please and disappoint people but in the end everyone knows what to expect.

Guess some would be disappointed still it's understandable such drastic changes would need major efforts to make them smooth. Your honest answer at least makes it clear, still you left the door open as we all know nothing is definitive in MMO.

Now it would be appreciated if you could come up with similar answers regarding hot topics like:

• Dual (or multi) specs
  • Advanced Class changes
  • Companion body customization
  • Companions kits (class change)
  • Chat bubbles

Seems to me letting these topics rot is worse than getting a clear and honest answer.

You will please and disappoint people but in the end everyone knows what to expect.

I would imagine some of these topics are being avoided with good cause. It's tough to give a definite "maybe" without having it sound the same in every thread.

I would imagine some of these topics are being avoided with good cause. It's tough to give a definite "maybe" without having it sound the same in every thread.

Well being honest with your player base is better than leaving stuff to rot...

Anyway, I guess why bother? EA might certainly bury SWTOR when they launch their new open world SW Game.

Well being honest with your player base is better than leaving stuff to rot...

Anyway, I guess why bother? EA might certainly bury SWTOR when they launch their new open world SW Game.

Not sure they would have anything to gain by burying it. The new launch may just provide a boosted interest in other SW games, SWTOR included. Plus, considering how much money it took to make SWTOR, and the less than epic launch it held, they now have a stable, and enjoyable cash cow. I'm guessing it will be MANY years from now before this game is put out to pasture.

Hey folks,

-eric

Eric,

While this is disappointing; however, it is understandable. Yet there is somethings that can be done to show a Jedi or Sith changed sides, especially when involving the force. That is allowing the one that has joined the dark or light side use those faction specific powers. BW has already done this with Jaesa when she goes dark. She is using lightning among other things. Sages that go dark should have the ability of Sorcerers as they should of Sages when they go light. The precedent was set with Jaesa, so it can be done with the player's toons.