ETA on Faction Change and Cost

Superman_AZ

UPDATE:

Hey folks,

This is a good question! We have been asked this a few times at some of our Cantina Tours as well but I wanted to make sure we had the answer here in the forums for folks to be able to find it.

I am remiss to ever say the word never, but I can say that it is very, very unlikely that we would ever implement any type of Faction change. As some others have alluded to in this thread, a very many things are tied into your characters Faction, and the choices they have made throughout their story. Due to that, having your faction change has a lot of impact on many things, not only from a story sense, but also technically involving your character.

Because of that, it is very unlikely we will ever implement Faction change.

-eric

Well, I was never really sure it was possible, and it is still not a "No", but it's more like a 0.0000005% chance of happening :)

Thanks to all who participated in the discussion, and to the derailers who kept it on page 1.

Edited by Superman_AZ

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No thanks.

+1

Well , it would be nice if we can change our faction when we gain dark / light side points , but I dont think its so simple.

Maybe in the future , if SWTOR survive 5-10+ years , we could have neutral faction and your decisions will lead you to rep/imp side.

You seem to have a clear desire to buy your way through the game, which IMO defeats the purpose of playing a game to begin with. You expressed this views pretty directly before you abandoned the game last year... and with your recent return.. you are rinsing and repeating the desires to pay-2-complete content without actually logging in to the game to play. To most players.. that is considered PAY-2-WIN.. and Bioware has made it clear that do not intend to implement pay-2-win elements to the business model.

As for WoW... WoW did not provide this service until the game was 6 or 7 years old.... along with various marketing promotions to INCENT players who have left to return. And like all broad audience bases that play MMOs.. some players love and take advantage of it and others feel it is accelerating decline of the games life cycle.

Edited by Andryah

Time is Money. The more time you spend, the more money they make the longer they keep you subbed. The less time you spend means less money for them. As a for-profit company, it just makes sense to gate things. You might not like it, but this business model vastly outweighs your wanting to farm coms morning, noon, and night.

And having a faction change means mirroring a 55 toon, which saves one from having to level it. So nope, because ( see red bit in the quote ), right? :p

P.S. Attempting to skip the levelling part, requesting this item " because wow has it " at this point might as well ask for the insta-55 :)

Edited by Tachenko_Yuri

Have they ever indicated such a thing was ever going to happen? Absolutely everything in game is tied to your faction so I imagine this would be a monumental task.

They've indicated many things would happen, which never have, and mentioned things that would likely never happen, and have come close to being completed. I figure the worst thing anyone could do is say No.

And having a faction change means mirroring a 55 toon, which saves one from having to level it. So nope, because ( see red bit in the quote ), right? :p

P.S. Attempting to skip the levelling part, requesting this item " because wow has it " at this point might as well ask for the insta-55 :)

So you would agree that faction changing is about as likely as AC swapping? Fair enough.

Am I being baited? :p

Your recent participation in the thread on the potential for an AC swap ( http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=644159 ) means you can't plead ignorance on the developers last statement on faction change.

From http://dulfy.net/2012/11/16/swtor-f2p-future-content-interview-with-damion-schubert/

18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well. Doing a faction switch is considerably more difficult for us, though, due to the various quest flags set throughout the level up process, so this isn’t on the horizon anytime soon.

The quest tracking set up through the story and the interaction with companions makes this a considerable undertaking for a straight out faction swap. In fact the response flagging in romance options with your companions is why something as seemingly easy as the cosmetic gender swap is such a difficulty.

The underlying issue with keeping the companion stories would be even more of an issue. Just how do you cater to MX-41's anti imperial sentiment if you swap sides?

I could see a few ways of catering to this though....

If it's just the range of animations you want to use (for example, my Light Side Bounty Hunter views the use of flamethrowers as abhorrent and would switch to an Ion-pulse of the Rep Trooper in an instant to stun his opponents) you could set up an Advanced Class system that allows the ACs to be mirrored (also allows Darkside Jedi to start throwing out the lightning ;) )

Or, in going forward, say level 60 and on, the game introduces cross party reputation and allows for cross faction grouping if you share an alliegence to one of these factions instead. Several of the story lines hint at other movers and shakers behind the scenes.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Am I being baited?

Your recent participation in the thread on the potential for an AC swap ( http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=644159 ) means you can't plead ignorance on the developers last statement on faction change.

The quest tracking set up through the story and the interaction with companions makes this a considerable undertaking for a straight out faction swap.

The underlying issue with keeping the companion stories would be even more of an issue. Just how do you cater to MX-41's anti imperial sentiment if you swap sides?

I could see a few ways of catering to this though....

If it's just the range of animations you want to use (for example, my Light Side Bounty Hunter views the use of flamethrowers as abhorrent and would switch to an Ion-pulse of the Rep Trooper in an instant to stun his opponents) you could set up an Advanced Class system that allows the ACs to be mirrored (also allows Darkside Jedi to start throwing out the lightning ;) )

Or, in going forward, say level 60 and on, the game introduces cross party reputation and allows for cross faction grouping if you share an alliegence to one of these factions instead. Several of the story lines hint at other movers and shakers behind the scenes.

Yes, you are being bated. Despite claims that he has changed, it's blatantly obvious the OP is the same person he was 14 months ago when he quit the game.

Am I being baited? :p

Well, since that 18 month old statement is the most recent information, we should just lock this up now. Something someone said one time back in 2012 will dictate everything moving forward. :rolleyes:

So you would agree that faction changing is about as likely as AC swapping? Fair enough.

Also, if you had a 55 trooper for example, buying a mirror would mean a 55 bounty hunter, which would be like buying the legacy attack, and the little bit of coins for having " completed " the bh story.

This could however be offset by having the class story reset upon faction change. :)

As for paying to win, unless I can hand them a stack of money to give me every title, every achievement, every piece of gear, and put me at the top of the charts moments before they shut down the servers, there is no "winning" at an MMO.

You are not going to find much sympathy from other players with respect to how you personally want to pay to not actually play the game. ;)

It's not literally paying to win per se.. but that is the term commonly used by players.. so please stop with the pedantic nonsense about the use of the word "win" in an MMO.

Edited by Andryah

Also, if you had a 55 trooper for example, buying a mirror would mean a 55 bounty hunter, which would be like buying the legacy attack, and the little bit of coins for having " completed " the bh story.

This could however be offset by having the class story reset upon faction change. :)

I'd be good with that. Then I could go back and experience the class and pick up my companions. Would go pretty quick at level cap.

Well, since that 18 month old statement is the most recent information, we should just lock this up now. Something someone said one time back in 2012 will dictate everything moving forward. :rolleyes:

No. But, it does indicate their current view on the matter and in no way mitigates their reason for saying it is far harder to implement with quest flagging.

I feel getting me involved in this thread was your sole reason for opening it. Especially since you haven't cared to quote the two examples where I suggest methods it could be implemented without introducing the unnecessary complication of quest flagging and all the horrors of companions.

I apologise to any other posters, a failure to agree in a different thread has resulted in this one being added ;)

Personally, I feel the strict linear element of SWTOR in an MMO environment was a huge gamble that failed to pay off. The nature of the class stories set up e level of story telling that is rarely equalled anywhere else in the game and puts a very strong sense of completion at the end. The last thing you want a player to feel when playing an MMO is a sense the story has finished.

Also, while I understand the supposed need for two (or more) factions in an MMO, I feel the more compelling story developed in the core Star Wars experience is the classic Fall to temptation and subsequent Redemption. I feel the two factions should have been Lightside and Darkside with the ability to transition between both. But that is a bridge long since crossed.

Edited by Vhaegrant