ETA on Faction Change and Cost

Superman_AZ

I said the same thing to people who want an AC swap option.

Apples and oranges, but you know that and you're just trying to make a point with foolish comparison.

With an AC swap, I haven't skipped ONE BIT of class story or changed ONE bit of my companions or ship and over half of of my skills are identical! AC swap is purely cosmetic with minimal functional change. Faction change doesn't even compare.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apples and oranges, but you know that and you're just trying to make a point with foolish comparison.

With an AC swap, I haven't skipped ONE BIT of class story or changed ONE bit of my companions or ship and over half of of my skills are identical! AC swap is purely cosmetic with minimal functional change. Faction change doesn't even compare.

Try not to light my strawman on fire ;)

Edited by Superman_AZ

Also, while I understand the supposed need for two (or more) factions in an MMO, I feel the more compelling story developed in the core Star Wars experience is the classic Fall to temptation and redemption. I feel the two factions should have been Lightside and Darkside.

/Agree with your assessment here.

While it could be argued that players won't play a mainstream MMO that lacks factions.... I honestly think that SWTOR could in fact have done so successfully by not having pre-defined factions.. but rather let players select dark/light at the time they pick their AC and the game then applies normal faction dynamics that players expect (particularly for PvP) and live moves forward. But see the thing is.. as "innovative" and "open to new play opportunities" many players profess to be.... the fact is the majority of them spend their time comparing one MMO to another and lobbying MMO devs to change one MMO to look, feel, and play like some other MMO.

Uh-- Oh so for, let's say, an inquisitor, there's minimal functional change from sorc healer, to tank sin. Kk lol :p

I said the same thing to people who want an AC swap option.

except its not nearly the same thing and it amazes me how you can be simultaneously FOR buying a max level character, while being against existing character having access to both AC's available to the class. sence? you make none.

except its not nearly the same thing and it amazes me how you can be simultaneously FOR buying a max level character, while being against existing character having access to both AC's available to the class. sence? you make none.

My position on that changed. In another thread I even mentioned how it is a bad idea. After living through the wow lvl 90 boost, I see the error of that decision..

Please bookmark this post so it will sink in and you can stop throwing that in my face in every thread.

Uh-- Oh so for, let's say, an inquisitor, there's minimal functional change from sorc healer, to tank sin. Kk lol :p

So changing the AC in that case would make for a completely different experience, like say a PowerTech tank becoming a Trooper Tank. :D

My position on that changed. In another thread I even mentioned how it is a bad idea. After living through the wow lvl 90 boost, I see the error of that decision..

Please bookmark this post so it will sink in and you can stop throwing that in my face in every thread.

not as long as you keep making threads with a purpose of asking to buy ability to skip actual content.

So changing the AC in that case would make for a completely different experience, like say a PowerTech tank becoming a Trooper Tank. :D

different story, different quests, different companions.

you are not just comparing apples and oranges, you are comparing apples and steak, yet claiming they are both vegetable.

mechanically trooper and bounty hunter might be very similar (animations make a bit of a difference in how they feel when played) but in terms of coding - they are drastically different. its not a matter of flipping a single switch.

Edited by Jeweledleah

There are of course changes per role, but swapping from an Sorc to a Sin you would maintain ALL of your class skills and you could spec into the shared tree if you're looking for a functionally minimal change. Roles the classes play are of course different though, but that's per role and independent of AC. Learning how to play ANY role is only something that you are able to do with experience.

not as long as you keep making threads with a purpose of asking to buy ability to skip actual content.

So if I made a thread asking to hit the reset button on my Character and take them back to level 1, but keep all my money and companions I earned by playing, that would be acceptable?

WoW has been doing this for quite some time. BW could make it just as easy considering their technology is much newer. Also, it would make for a nice source of additional revenue.

Just because Bioware's technology is newer does not mean that Bioware "could make it just as easy". SW:TOR does not have speech bubbles, yet games on older technology do. Bioware has stated this is not an easy fix.

Expecting (and ETA does imply 'expecting') a faction change seems very overoptimistic at best, when we're aware they delayed a GSF role to work on their Galactic Strongholds, and then delayed their Galactic Strongholds anyway.

What I'm trying to say is the opportunity cost of implementing this feature is very high, and therefore quite unlikely this will be developed any time soon. I encourage you to rethink your expectations.

What I'm trying to say is the opportunity cost of implementing this feature is very high, and therefore quite unlikely this will be developed any time soon. I encourage you to rethink your expectations.

/Agree.

And I just want to say... it is refreshing to see other forum members that actually understand opportunity cost and how it factors into business investment decisions. :)

I am still waiting for a Summoning portal. With all the technology in this game it would be awesome to have a crafting skill it would be viable.

Not 100% sure what you mean by a Summoning portal, but if you mean a way of getting more players to your location they have mentioned this will be a feature available to you for your guild members with the Guild Ships.

Full letter here: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20140423

Bruce Maclean, senior producer.

•Guild Flagships will now offer expanded functionality for Guilds:

•Provide powerful buffs to Guild members from orbit

•Transport entire groups to your personal coordinates instantaneously

Edited by Vhaegrant

I am still waiting for a Summoning portal. With all the technology in this game it would be awesome to have a crafting skill it would be viable.

You mean kind of like this?

Guild Flagships will now offer expanded functionality for Guilds:

• Transport entire groups to your personal coordinates instantaneously

source

I would imagine other features like AC swapping would likely fall into the same category. As for my expectations, the only ones I have left are the ones that remind me the moment I comment in any thread, someone will be there waiting to pounce. I appreciate the earnest response without making it personal.

As for my expectations, the only ones I have left are the ones that remind me the moment I comment in any thread, someone will be there waiting to pounce.

This isn't "any thread" where you're innocently commenting on it...you started this thread with the sole intention of trying to make a point about AC swaps....and you've failed.

This isn't "any thread" where you're innocently commenting on it...you started this thread with the sole intention of trying to make a point about AC swaps....and you've failed.

Did I? Seems like others have pointed it out for me. This idea, and others like it often cost more than they are worth. Plus, it is an option so few people would ever really use anyway. Much like the AC swap, this is something that would take time and resources to build into the game as it exists NOW, not 18 months ago. I would say I proved my point well enough.

Did I? Seems like others have pointed it out for me. This idea, and others like it often cost more than they are worth. Plus, it is an option so few people would ever really use anyway. Much like the AC swap, this is something that would take time and resources to build into the game as it exists NOW, not 18 months ago. I would say I proved my point well enough.

But why would you need to have the last word? Why couldn't you have said your piece in the original thread and walked away? Now you're coming across as hostile and aggressive, with a particular need to demonstrate your superiority. You're not coming across as particularly pleasant in a lot of your posting at the moment in my opinion.

But why would you need to have the last word? Why couldn't you have said your piece in the original thread and walked away? Now you're coming across as hostile and aggressive, with a particular need to demonstrate your superiority. You're not coming across as particularly pleasant in a lot of your posting at the moment in my opinion.

Because a zebra cant change his stripes. He returns the antagonist he left as, arguing just to argue and completely failing to see the point.

Actually, I walked away from that one, just as I will walk away from this one. The goal was take the argument out of the comfort zone of that thread, and reveal it from another angle. As for being hostile, or aggressive, I am neither. In fact, this topic is actually growing more boring by the minute. Strange thing about text on a page, everyone always assumes the other person is mad, or bent outta shape, when in fact, I've barely elevated my pulse by typing in here. People should stop assuming that everything everyone ever says is fighting and that they are mad.

Because a zebra cant change his stripes. He returns the antagonist he left as, arguing just to argue and completely failing to see the point.

No, when I left, I had 4 or 5 trolls who had banded together to get under my skin. I won't allow that to happen twice. So, whenever you read something I type, just imagine the guy doing the color commentary on a golf game saying it :) No topic is worth blowing up about. Two of the biggest trolls I ever had to deal with have gone. Only 3 remain, and they are honestly not worth my time or my effort.