why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

Capt_Beers

I don't even understand why people feel the need to label things as such. All of these are part of the game as a whole. All of them together comprise "the game." They are different activities in the game, not their own game. Why can't we just leave it at that?

EXACTLY what I've been trying to say! No preferred playstyle is better or worse or the 'main one'...everything in this game is a mini-game/activity, even RPing.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. A PvP server in this game just means the enemy is always open to attack from me in cross faction areas. That doesn't make SWTOR a PvE game. PvP is just a preference, like PvE or RP is.

I would imagine what makes SWTOR a PvE game would be the PvE Storylines, the PvE missions, and the PvE Lore. PvP is just for certain servers and instances. Everything else is PvE.

Wow... lots of strong emotions...

I'm a PvE'er most of the time... but casually play PvP.

One thing that seems to happen in every MMO... the division between PvE Players and PvP Players... not sure why.. from the comments above PvE'ers tend to believe that PvP'ers are the source of the nerf hammer. Thing is... I have never seen this actually play out.

Here's why, the Dread Council can't complain if a particular power/ability is OP or broken. Its only when it is used on another player that the issue manifests. When the power is looked at the dev's generally see that it isn't acting the way it was intended, and adjust it accordingly.

Besides, when this type of thing occurs, I have never seen a dramatically bad impact on PvE... which, for the most part, is relatively easy (mechanics are always the same, mobs stand in the same spot, etc... its only a matter of time before you master the PvE). PvP however, is dynamic. You never know what the team composition is going to be, how good their healer is, etc etc etc. So even when the nerf hammer comes out... its generally the speed runners in PvE who complain the loudest.

Oh, I get it now, Flash Bang was always intended to be a single target skill, despite it having a limited AoE since it's inception. I get it now...

EXACTLY what I've been trying to say! No preferred playstyle is better or worse or the 'main one'...everything in this game is a mini-game/activity, even RPing.

Never said one was better, or worse. I simply said the PvP in the game was built on the PvE which makes up the bulk of the MMO-RPG we're playing.

But... who cares?

Apparently PvPers are annoyed by the fact that PvE is the dominant platform and basis for SWTOR. I never said PvPers were lesser players, I simply stated SWTOR's primary focus is PvE and PvP is a mini-game in this MMO-RPG. I would imagine someone took it personally and as a PvPer, they are somehow "defending their honor" by continually shouting about how PvP is not a mini-game.

Apparently PvPers are annoyed by the fact that PvE is the dominant platform and basis for SWTOR. I never said PvPers were lesser players, I simply stated SWTOR's primary focus is PvE and PvP is a mini-game in this MMO-RPG. I would imagine someone took it personally and as a PvPer, they are somehow "defending their honor" by continually shouting about how PvP is not a mini-game.

Well, honestly, it isn't. But it's just semantics. Why even bring up the issue (if you can call it that)? What's up with the labels?

Oh, and, welcome back?

actually we call it a mini game to irrittate them so they get their panties in a bunch. then they forget about the last slice of chocolate cake in the fridge and we can eat it later.

The operation story lines are completely separate from the class stories, which many would say are the biggest draw this game had. They aren't even dependent on each other, I have never done EC but I have done some of the ones that came after it. So if they were important to the story I wouldn't be able to skip them. If literally no one completes an op the next one will come just the same.

Yeah, while you do get comments - the Gree event mentioned I beat the TFB and Oricon mentioned S+V, most stuff doesn't mention your Ops achievements.

Pvp is a test of player skill and class knowledge

I laughed. PVP is a test of who can gang up on the worst player and whether or not your teamates have opposable thumbs.

Generally, they do not.

Edited by Elfa

Well, honestly, it isn't. But it's just semantics. Why even bring up the issue (if you can call it that)? What's up with the labels?

Oh, and, welcome back?

I'm just a firm believer in calling things what they are. SWTOR is a PvE MMO-RPG which also happens tp provide some PvP entertainment. No big deal really. Just a reality check for PvPers that they are in a PvE game. True PvP is Mortal Kombat on Nintendo ;)

If pvp is a minigame then why does the PvP forum section have eight times as many posts as the Flashpoint, Operations, and Heroic missions section?

Because generally the loudest and most angry tend to group together and try to be heard.

Because generally the loudest and most angry tend to group together and try to be heard.

The number of people in this thread vehemently bashing PvP begs to differe with your assessment of "loudest and most angry"

I can understand PVP naturally generating more, but seriously eight times as many?

Besides the context of the OP was PvE as in Operations and endgame Flashpoints, not common lowbie questing.

Edited by Zoom_VI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APB:_All_Points_Bulletin

I've not. But, according to the description, it is an MMO where you pick a faction, Enforcers or Criminals, and according to the description:

There is also a neutral zone where players from both sides interact without the ability to harm one another. So it is a PvE game, on a PvP only style server. You still have more to do than just PvP to earn points and upgrades for your faction/rep. Just like in WoW, you can kill each other anywhere, but step into Shattrath or Dalaran, and there is no fighting, even on a PvP server.

Like I said, even MMO-TPS like this still have a PvE foundation, even if the majority of your actions have you flagged for combat. Just like WoW on a PvP server.

No, that neutral zone is a very small area that is for customizing your character in different ways. It's separate from the other areas (in such a way that you can't actually go there, you have to warp there).

Every single mission that you can take is a mission where you fight other players. There are no missions whatsoever where you fight NPC's.

The only way to earn rep and level up is by fighting other players.

You should try it and make your own judgement.

The number of people in this thread vehemently bashing PvP begs to differe with your assessment of "loudest and most angry"

I can understand PVP naturally generating more, but seriously eight times as many?

Besides the context of the OP was PvE as in Operations and endgame Flashpoints, not common lowbie questing.

Your question was about the PvP forums not about this thread.

Edit: APB is also doing a complete engine upgrade. Kinda sad that a F2P MMO like theirs has the ability to do it and SWTOR can't.

Not so strange if you think about it. The current owners bought a complete game for a pittence while BioWare spent millions building SW:TOR.

It makes sense for the current owners of APB to upgrade the game since they actually have almost no money invested in it from the start, AND they are not changing the engine, they are just upgrading it. Kinda like what BioWare has done constantly with SW:TOR

I always considered PvP Warzones a minigame (the one I actually chose to play most of the time) because it's totally seperated from any story that is going on. And it's scenarios repeat over and over.

Now, a way to get it to be more would have been:

• You have to join the war effort / enlist to the service of the republic / imperials.
  • You then get a few missions of walking and talking maybe hitting 'something' to prove you are a worthy <class>
  • After that you'd have to enter the "training program" - aka skirmish warfronts like dropship stuff where 'rookie material gets burnt or survives'. Maybe after 3 losses get sent to the Huttball tournament or Arenas...
  • Add Story around valor ranks.
  • Add warzones that get reached or even are dependant on prior victory in another warzone (like a boarding party (8) vs a crew (8) after the boarding party has won a shuttle ramp... And a medal for getting it all done... to pin on your uniform...
  • Add consequences to winning / losing that drive the story... send you to fights over other planets... tell you "Well, PRIVATE, we do NEED a foothold on that freakin beach! Thanks for letting the enemy hammer our bunker... I'll be sending you to Sector C. GET ME THAT BEACH! dismissed!" / "My lord... you have secured this beach against all odds. Consider me and the Crew utterly impressed. Would you like a StimCaff? Oh... I did write this letter of recommendation to my good Friend the Admiral BarAck on Tattooine. Last time we talked he mentioned a problem with republic insurgents..."

There would have to be a story... with the "queue up and fight" thing... it's a minigame compared to the pve, alright.