Producer's Road Map 2014

CourtneyWoods

It is interesting to see PVP people complain and threaten to leave, same as 1 year ago yet they are still here. Frankly, you should have left already. They are not doing what you want. They said that many times.

It's actually even more amusing to see PvErs who get content on a regular basis complain that there's not enough content.

Goes to show which crowd is easier to satisfy and should be catered to more. :rolleyes:

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•Two new Flashpoints on Tython and Korriban where the Empire and Republic confront each other directly, initiating a new storyline that will span updates across the entire year until its galaxy-shaking finale

Metaphor for shutting SW:ToR down? :D

Hey everyone,

As requested, Senior Producer Bruce Maclean has posted a road map for 2014. You can read it here! :jawa_smile:

Wow...that's a lotta time between 2.6 and 2.7. I thought 2.6 was going to be the REAL release of GSF with new maps...what happened to that? Gonna be a long 2 months coming up.

I'm not sure why you're assuming the bolded statement above. They stated that they're working on new Operations and that 2.8 would be the biggest update they've ever done. What makes you think that it won't include a new operation?

Well, if you look at the history of this game it was always like this. First they stretch current content with Nightmare modes, which will introduce another tier of gear, and then there will be new operations with another tier of gear.

Assuming they would release DF nightmare with 81 gear, then release DP nightmare which drops 81 gear as well + a new Operation which should have the next tier of gear (=84) would not make sense. So, we will have DF and 2 months later DP. Then another 2 months+ later a new Operation with another new tier of gear.

Remember my words, it will happen like this.

Edited by tman_ac

Probably because it takes away your gear grind advantage and makes it more skill based than regular PvP, which exposes to your fragile egos that you really aren't as good as you think you are.

Don't be foolish. You're comparing apples to road apples. FPS in space is NOT the same as ground PvP.

There is a minimal gear grind advantage, which does not in and of itself deliver wins.

You made a big stink about the ESO CE, so I helpfully pointed out that every game these days has a big, superfluous CE that bestows a bunch of advantages on the player.

Sorry if that wasn't obvious.

But the point is, that - to the contrary - many people see the ESO Imperial Edition not as superfluous, but essential (and thus a shamless money grab) since it is the only way to play as an Imperial.

Would it be superfluous (i.e. only pet. mount, cosmetic items, etc.), like it was in SWTOR, nobody would give a damn about its price.

Well, if you look at the history of this game it was always like this. First they stretch current content with Nightmare modes, which will introduce another tier of gear, and then there will be new operations with another tier of gear.

Assuming they would release DF nightmare with 81 gear, then release DP nightmare which drops 81 gear as well + a new Operation which should have the next tier of gear (=84) would not make sense. So, we will have DF and 2 months later DP. Then another 2 months+ later a new Operation with another new tier of gear.

They've kinda been all over the place to date, but I'd expect the ROTHC style expansion with or near 2.8, with no new operations, then two months later they drop in the new operation(s) based on the expansions storyline.

Keep in mind that PvErs will have been killing what is essentially the same instance for the better part of a year before we even see a new ops (read: an instance that isn't DF/DP).

I'll be surprised if we see said new ops before August, maybe even longer.

The good news is that even if Wildstar pushes back its release date that it'll still have 6 months before we even see a hint of a new ops >_>

Predictable moanage galore lol.

It's good to hear there are 2 digital expansions to look forward to this year. And an epic culmination at the end of the year could herald in a third non digital one...

Less speculatory, 2.7 looks proper beefy. Seems to be something for everyone in it, flashpoints, nightmare mode, warzone, GS... and 2.8 is larger still apparently.

Yea DF and DP are rehashed scenery but hey isn't it about the CHALLENGE *wink*?

All in all the blog doesn't say much, as expected, but it paints a satisfactory image for me. Would I like a hutball league announcement? You bet ya. Still Ill take the one map and a promise of a 2014 that looks better than 2013, which is the most I dare to expect after 2012. :p

Heh, 7 pages before I found the first post I agree with. :)

This thread will be an outstanding lightening rod for complaints though... so it has that going for it. :p

Quote: "Two new Flashpoints on Tython and Korriban where the Empire and Republic confront each other directly, initiating a new storyline that will span updates across the entire year until its galaxy-shaking finale."

Eager Statement: Super excited for this. Can't wait to facilitate communication with the enemy and terminate all potential hostiles.

I'll bet all the money I've spent on CM packs that a 3 week patch schedule helps to fix absolutely zero extra bugs.

So.... you are sticking around then.... in spite of all your expressed disappointments?

Guess their plans are not so bad after all.

Don't be foolish. You're comparing apples to road apples. FPS in space is NOT the same as ground PvP.

There is a minimal gear grind advantage, which does not in and of itself deliver wins.

It's funny because the gear advantage in GSF is just as important as in the ground game.

If you don't believe me, then try flying a ship with zero upgrades vs. a fully upgraded one and see if there's a difference.

Looking forward to the new FP tomorrow. Scenario variations are a nice touch -

And April looks like a lot of fun to me. A new Huttball arena will be a welcome addition.

I hope the 2.7 FP's bring high level toons into the vicinity of the starter areas. Its kind of fun to be a new player in any given MMO and catch sight of someone in end-game gear running by to who-knows-where.

In 2013, the team fulfilled the promise of delivering Game Updates every 8 weeks, and introduced an enormous amount of amazing quality gameplay content and new features.

Yes. This was very impressive. The Dev team certainly deserves a pat on the back for this. You guys are definitely pumping out the content on a regular basis like you said you would, although I did think the GSF expansion was pretty underwhelming.

Nightmare Mode Dread Fortress Operation and a new tier of gear

Question: Does this mean PvP is getting a new tier of gear as well?

New Huttball Warzone on Quesh

Outstanding! Should be good times.

Expect to see two digital expansions in 2014

Wow! If this is the case, then 2014 will indeed be very good for SWTOR. Interested to see how this turns out. I assume one of the expansions will contain a raise of the level cap.

While this does mean we are moving to a 9 week cadence for the major content updates, we feel the benefit of catching pesky bugs and improving quality is worth it and we remain committed to hitting our deadlines for all of our major content updates this year.

This is actually good news and well worth waiting an extra week for. While I believe the Dev team deserves a solid pat on the back for hitting the 8-week content mark, the quality of that content was pretty bad. Here I'm thinking of the release of Arenas as an example and how long it took to fix bugs that we spotted in the Beta well ahead of time.

Just actually paying attention to and listening to your Player Test Server feedback would go a long way to fixing those pesky bugs that appear in releases even after Beta discovery.

I appreciate the transparency.

I honestly believe this is what Bioware thinks they are doing in 2014 at the time of this posting.

Please, please, please please, when plans change, let us know. I'm still waiting to hear what happened with "Season 1" PVP's cross-server which was said to be the reason "Season One" of PVP waited until now: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120330

So it's nice to see past the curtain, but don't close it again so soon! You will infuriate some of us off if you do!

It's funny because the gear advantage in GSF is just as important as in the ground game.

If you don't believe me, then try flying a ship with zero upgrades vs. a fully upgraded one and see if there's a difference.

So I take there is no bolster in GSF?

So.... you are sticking around then.... in spite of all your expressed disappointments?

Guess their plans are not so bad after all.

Lol wut

Where did you even extrapolate that from? I was referring to the money I've spent in the past on CM packs, not the nonexistant amount I'm going to pay for them in the future. Are you daft? :rolleyes:

I've already posted that I barely log on anymore, I'm not sure how that constitutes a desire to "stick around". Nearly everyone in my guild is looking for an excuse to jump ship. We're all pretty upset atm. If this is all we can expect from PvE in the future, thanks but no thanks.

So I take there is no bolster in GSF?

Nope, so you can't even cheese the bolster like you can in the ground game.

Edited by Beslley

Thanks for the road map, much appreciated! :)

The Tython/Korriban FP's look kind of neat, but the only thing that really piques my interest is mention of an "expansion" similar in size to RotHC. And at this point it is impossible to tell if it is worth getting excited over.

Then again, I tend to get more excited about the "fluff" things than NiM modes and the like. Announce a new Companion to obtain, plans to fix all that terrible hood clipping, new items to craft, or new character customization options . . . those are the sort of things that will make me squee. Mostly, stuff not important enough to be put on such a brief road map. :p

Nice, I always like to hear news about this game. I bloody love it. People usually say it would be nice if SWTOR was a sandbox, but personally I think that'd be impossible, since the differents planets has no continuity between them.

This proves the game is not dead, and trolls can just go f*ck themselves.

Although there's a few people looking forward to see if we get to level from 55 to 60. I, personally, cringe every time i get a wiff of a level cap increase. Serves myself right for being an alt-oholic.

Can't say anything has really gotten me excited in the road map. Apart from the Emp vs Rep stuff starting on starter planets. I'm assuming alot of people (mostly negative posters) are burnt out with new FP's and WZ's in terms of hyping the crap out of it for months for the novelty to wear off after a day or two. Myself included - I would of thought FP's and WZ's would of been slotted in to updates rather than the main focus of. But that's just me.

Here's to hoping the two expansions and/or biggest update will provide some new original content. Quality rather than quantity. That my wish for some variable (none static / linear) activities become available.