New Dyes Added, Then Removed?

Saregon

Hey folks,

I will take the blame for this one as I forgot to post about the dyes at the end of the week to let everyone know about the limited availability. They will come back to the market at some point, but I have no details on when as of right now. This was planned as a limited time sale.

As a reminder, our store is subject to change at all times. We will have sales available for limited times and in some cases (like this) items which are only available for limited times. I recommend checking the store often!

-eric

That's kind of a large mistake considering the amount of controversy the dyes have caused (at least on the forums). I guess those threads were being completely ignored too :p

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

I will take the blame for this one as I forgot to post about the dyes at the end of the week to let everyone know about the limited availability. They will come back to the market at some point, but I have no details on when as of right now. This was planned as a limited time sale.

As a reminder, our store is subject to change at all times. We will have sales available for limited times and in some cases (like this) items which are only available for limited times. I recommend checking the store often!

-eric

This is becoming all too typical. First, you don't add them when the patch goes live. It takes a "few days" for them to surface, so everyone who spent the first what... 48 hours waiting for them didn't see them. Then they get added with no announcement about the limited time availability... and now, at least a day after they are gone, you finally speak up and explain that part?

Seems like the last time there was a big hubbub made about a limited availability sale... it was pretty well documented exactly when that would happen. Revan's Heir ring a bell? How about we get a little more consistency. Then the folks who are interested in supporting your efforts can actually participate.

Hey folks,

-eric

IMO you should let the market be open for some period of time and let people have their fill.. like you did with Gold Scalene and the Secant speeder.. THEN take it into limited sales rotation.

It will kill your dye pack sales probably.. but I still think you would come out revenue neutral and people can have easier and lower cost access to these dyes.

But hey.. your game, your market, your rules. :)

That said... you did admittedly forget to announce on Friday so people would know the business model (limited time listing cycles) for these dyes.. so in fairness.. you owe the players a redo.. and another swipe at buying the dyes from the market. :D A 25% discount as a show of goodwill on the next listing cycle would be good as well IMO. ;)

Edited by Andryah

Hey folks,

-eric

So it's official... the "B" now stands for Blunder, I will now refer to them as BlunderWare

So BW is taking the blame for - well, not telling anyone. But they're not going to fix it by giving the dyes another day of sale in the near future?

Bravo.

I doubt this is even a fix.. I'm pretty sure it was their intention to only have these dyes up for a few days and then add them back to the cm a few weeks later.

As for the dye itself.. I find it hard to believe they took subscriber CC allowance into consideration when pricing this dye. A four month wait for dye and they think "yeah that's reasonable".

IMO you should let the market be open for some period of time and let people have their fill.. like you did with Gold Scalene and the Secant speeder.. THEN take it into limited sales rotation.

I agree, especially since this item was quite expensive. It's quite possibly that some people were sat there comtemplating whether the cost was worth it. Then when they went to buy it, it was gone.

Edited by Iggster

Forums are awesome.

First they complain about how overpriced an item is and claim they will never buy it at that price.

Then they complain when said item is only up for a limited amount of time.

Are both of those populations of 'complainers' the same, or did some people complain about the price/claim they would never buy it and other people complain about availability?

In any case, I guess it'll be back at some point for those that want it. Not really sure why Bioware isn't more generous with the availability, though, it's likely they're just reducing the amount of money they can make.

Edited by Lesaberisa

Interesting still no answer for having such a high price. Bioware definitely seems to be getting worse and handing out information and the timing. I wasn't going to buy the dye because of the price. I may have considered it with the 50% option but that seems to be gone. Just another thing to go in the ever growing disappointment column for this game. Kind of funny the expansion was the same price as a single use dye. Edited by manchusabre

Are both of those populations of 'complainers' the same, or did some people complain about the price/claim they would never buy it and other people complain about availability?

No he's just throwing a blanket statement out there without looking at the individual people involved. I never once complained about the price, I think it's cheap actually.

Hey folks,

-eric

***? You guys really need to work on your messaging about the market sales. I'm the kind of person who buys stuff like this, but at almost two years in I'm primarily a raider and event player, so I'm not logging in every day. Even when I do log in I'm not very likely to open the market if I haven't heard something new is going to be there. If you don't get the word out about sales, people won't know, and you will be leaving money on the table.

A yellow post that shows up in the dev tracker every time a price changes or something shows up in the market would be a good start, but you should also have a separate twitter feed, rss, and probably an email list. It does no good to have a sale if nobody shows up to the store.

I am not going to complain that they disappeared. They needed to disappear.

However ....

There has been debate about these things since they were announced and all of a sudden they were limited availability??? SERIOUSLY?

Can't you just admit you overpriced them and removed them to rethink the price points? Announcements like this just destroy a lot of the credibility you built which is bad considering since impressions of how much credibility you have vary widely as is.

Can't you just admit you overpriced them and removed them to rethink the price points? .

The price points were in-line with the 2-3 million credits the dyes fetched of the GTN before this. I wouldn't complain if they had sold them cheaper, but they were probably trying to not undercut the people selling them already.

Although I think (in general) all the hubbub over the dyes and their prices is overblown, I do agree that people should be given another chance at buying these in the near future. I understand the desire to keep the supplies limited, and to provide incentives for people to check the market, but given that people did not know supplies would be limited I can see why they would get annoyed.

So I would support a call to put them back up for a couple of days now that everyone knows how it's going to work.

And, before anyone asks, I have no intention to purchase these for myself either to sell or to use, so I've no personal stake in it. I just think there was a slip up in communication (it can happen, even to Eric) and people should get a second chance as a result. (IMO)

Edited by Brewski

Hey folks,

-eric

Awesome, you guys couldn't have ballsed this up any harder if you tried. :D

From the ridiculous price to the ridiculous unannounced sales window, it's been the worst handled cash grab in MMO history!

Gratz!

I am not going to complain that they disappeared. They needed to disappear.

However ....

There has been debate about these things since they were announced and all of a sudden they were limited availability??? SERIOUSLY?

Can't you just admit you overpriced them and removed them to rethink the price points? Announcements like this just destroy a lot of the credibility you built which is bad considering since impressions of how much credibility you have vary widely as is.

This^ was the point of my previous post.

Some people are still complaining about the price...in a thread started by people who are upset that they no longer have the option to buy the items at said price.

Shouldn't this thread tell all the "price complainers" something?

The price points were in-line with the 2-3 million credits the dyes fetched of the GTN before this. I wouldn't complain if they had sold them cheaper, but they were probably trying to not undercut the people selling them already.

"Act now! Because we can't do this all day!"

Bioware has become one of those idiots selling the Snuggy and the Shticky. At least those hucksters offer comedy value in their scams.