New Dyes Added, Then Removed?

Saregon

Welcome to basic marketing.

The items are really, really rare. If you buy gambling boxes in hopes of getting one, you'll probably spend more than 20 bucks USD to get one unless you're extremely lucky.

If they put them up for a limited time for 20 bucks USD, they will see a spike in CC sales as people line up to dump money on them to either use or sell for 10 million credits on the GTN.

If they take them away because they "forgot" to tell us they were only up for a limited time, it psychologically focuses weak-minded people on how much they just have to have this particular item and when it shows up again they'll be first in line to waste 20 USD on a one-time use item that really isn't very attractive on most outfits.

PT Barnum said it best.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that instead of saying that the mistake will not happen again I think they should just put those damn dyes back on the CM for a few days. They'd earn more money.

They will. They're just creating a feeding frenzy and sharpening up their harpoons.

Fair point, I will get the patch notes changed to reflect that the dye was only available for a limited time.

-eric

PS - This may not happen until tomorrow.

Fair enough, but I still think (going forward) that you're better off keeping features/fixes (patch content) separate from cartel market availability of items as much as possible, even if you're planning on it all happening at "around" the same time.

Also, it might be better to separate the Patch Notes themselves into "client" and "server" sections (yeah, it exposes some design decisions, but maybe more people would understand why some fixes have longer down time and not gripe. As much.).

I think that instead of saying that the mistake will not happen again I think they should just put those damn dyes back on the CM for a few days. They'd earn more money.

Oh they will, but not our schedule. They are making the items rare.

I don't have a problem with it. Their prerogative.

Edited by Rafaman

Why don't you have a timer on items that are limited time or on-sale only for a limited time? Just having stuff (or discounts) appear and disappear without warning kind of defeats the entire purpose of limited time deals. B&M stores have weekly circulars that state the sale times, Steam has timers all over the place, etc.

Actually a timer is a good idea. And I think it will spur on sales as well as loggins. But this first time, I think the "pull" has had the desired affect.

Hey folks,

I just want to add a little bit of clarity and to reiterate what happened with the dyes on the Cartel Market. I know there is some thought that we have some sinister intent here, or that we just pulled the dyes out of reaction to some of the negative reaction around price, the truth is simple, I messed up.

We could have done a better job of messaging around that timeliness in the patch notes and we never actually made any posts following up to that to let folks know it was temporary in the forums. In both cases, the blame falls on me. Although we wont always message everything that changes on the CM all the time (sales, etc.). I will make it a point to make sure we are as crystal clear as possible about new items, or sales around limited time/availability items.

What I can say is that the dyes will be returning the CM in the future (I don't have timing right now) and when they do they will return at the same price you saw them at this past weekend. I will make sure you guys know they are coming when they do return!

Thank you again for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion I caused!

-eric

This is actually pretty close to what I was looking for. Color me impressed.

It's still too expensive.AND don't do it again.

If you're the one who screwed this all up, why don't you put them back on immediately for about a week, for people who were hoping to save up some money to buy them??

Good grief, there are 5-year olds with better problem solving than you people.

I started this thread and after reading the actual BW response this is exactly what I was thinking...minus the whole insult part. If you screwed up, then maybe you should put them back up for a little bit, ANNOUNCED, tell us how long they will be there, and call it a day...oh wait, it's past 5:00 PM central time, I'm sure you're long gone from work by now.... :rolleyes:

Although we wont always message everything that changes on the CM all the time (sales, etc.). I will make it a point to make sure we are as crystal clear as possible about new items, or sales around limited time/availability items.

The point of sales is to sell things and to get people to buy other stuff while they are there. If you don't give people enough info about sales and things are constantly being changed without people knowing about the changes, then you're defeating the purpose of these sales.

Right cause if it's too expensive for you it must be too expensive for everyone else... :rolleyes:

You know, you're totally right! Come to think of it, some people can probably afford to spend $100 on black dye. Maybe the price should be increased. I mean, someone can probably afford it, so I guess that means it'll be peachy keen for the rest of us too, right? :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I played off and on during the weekend and not once did I see them in the Cartel Market. :confused:

It's just one fiasco after another with this game *sigh* ....

You know, you're totally right! Come to think of it, some people can probably afford to spend $100 on black dye. Maybe the price should be increased. I mean, someone can probably afford it, so I guess that means it'll be peachy keen for the rest of us too, right? :rolleyes:

Back on topic, I played off and on during the weekend and not once did I see them in the Cartel Market. :confused:

It's just one fiasco after another with this game *sigh* ....

They were there, I don't understand how people can be blind and play swtor...

They were there, I don't understand how people can be blind and play swtor...

They couldn't have been there for more than a few hours, as I was online quite a bit over the weekend and was opening my CM window quite frequently to see if they had been added yet. Didn't see them on there until Saturday evening, and they were gone by Sunday morning...

It is amazing how 1 black dye costs 4 months of subscription. I know a lot of fanboys will start raging at me for saying this but truth is the 500cc we get for supporting this game are a joke. That's ~1 cartel pack a month... and a black dye is 2000cc. I like the game but this is absurd just like everything else cc-related so far (e.g. appearance kiosk).

Instead of making f2p have a good time and subscribers have an amazing time, they make f2p suffer ridiculous restrictions and subscribers just don't have these restrictions and have some 50% reputation bonus... I know I am getting a bit off topic but I honestly don't feel like a valued supporter.

I will see what arenas are about and then I'm out.

AMEN Brother! If you didn't outline what all subs are feeling, you sure did for me!

Hey folks,

I just want to add a little bit of clarity and to reiterate what happened with the dyes on the Cartel Market. I know there is some thought that we have some sinister intent here, or that we just pulled the dyes out of reaction to some of the negative reaction around price, the truth is simple, I messed up.

We could have done a better job of messaging around that timeliness in the patch notes and we never actually made any posts following up to that to let folks know it was temporary in the forums. In both cases, the blame falls on me. Although we wont always message everything that changes on the CM all the time (sales, etc.). I will make it a point to make sure we are as crystal clear as possible about new items, or sales around limited time/availability items.

What I can say is that the dyes will be returning the CM in the future (I don't have timing right now) and when they do they will return at the same price you saw them at this past weekend. I will make sure you guys know they are coming when they do return!

Thank you again for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion I caused!

-eric

Wouldn't the honest solution to this be to release them for a few more days this week? I mean, you certainly have the power to do so...

I'm so glad I only paid for a random dye pack and got a W/W. Of course I never used it cause It looked like crap. B/B looks the same on most armors. The ones I liked were the Black or White with another color. This whole fiasco just amuses me.

It's all relative isn't it. There are several styles that can be made to look good with w/w, or b/b, but an even smaller number can look good with yellow/green. There are uses for those colors, but if no one has noticed, the black/black will lighten up some items, and the w/w will make items that already have white look grey in comparison to the original.

Unfortunately, the people they get design much of this stuff have zero talent for color coordination. The few they do get acceptable from the start can't even be altered by dyes.

It's all relative isn't it. There are several styles that can be made to look good with w/w, or b/b, but an even smaller number can look good with yellow/green. There are uses for those colors, but if no one has noticed, the black/black will lighten up some items, and the w/w will make items that already have white look grey in comparison to the original.

Unfortunately, the people they get design much of this stuff have zero talent for color coordination. The few they do get acceptable from the start can't even be altered by dyes.

It's very hit and miss and depends a lot on the way each armour set is originally designed. Unexpectedly, a lot of the earlier armours respond better despite predating the dye system. Perhaps this says something about the quality and/or staffing levels of the art department then and now.

In some cases black/blue can serve as an acceptable poor mans black/black (if that's your thing) because the secondary colour areas are missing or so minimal not to matter. For my tastes the black/black dye is too black anyway, too much detail gets lost.

As for the rest of the colours, the vast majority are too crayon box for my tastes so I've really come to appreciate the native colours of some of the original designs more.

Hey folks,

-eric

Wow... just wow.

If in the future, you guys want a use-case that relates to why your clients feel little to no loyalty for your company or your product, you may want to bookmark this and show them this.

I mean, they're dyes, at the end of the day not a really big deal. But I was really looking forward to them. I know it's not a popular opinion but I wanted to get these. My server average for these dyes are insane and I don't play 8 hours a day so I can't afford them in the foreseeable future, this was going to be an okay trade off for me. Instead, the dyes get released on a day I'm working a double **** and they're on for 24 hours and gone.

To be released "at some point in the future".

Really, not cool but whatever.

Wouldn't the honest solution to this be to release them for a few more days this week? I mean, you certainly have the power to do so...

Listen here Mr. Common Sense - You just walk right back to your room young man. No diner for you and don't you dare come out until you start talking crazy bs again.