New Dyes Added, Then Removed?

Saregon

Hey folks,

I just want to add a little bit of clarity and to reiterate what happened with the dyes on the Cartel Market. I know there is some thought that we have some sinister intent here, or that we just pulled the dyes out of reaction to some of the negative reaction around price, the truth is simple, I messed up.

We could have done a better job of messaging around that timeliness in the patch notes and we never actually made any posts following up to that to let folks know it was temporary in the forums. In both cases, the blame falls on me. Although we wont always message everything that changes on the CM all the time (sales, etc.). I will make it a point to make sure we are as crystal clear as possible about new items, or sales around limited time/availability items.

What I can say is that the dyes will be returning the CM in the future (I don't have timing right now) and when they do they will return at the same price you saw them at this past weekend. I will make sure you guys know they are coming when they do return!

Thank you again for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion I caused!

-eric

what the **** is wrong with you people. I'm sick of your amature ****

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,

I will take the blame for this one as I forgot to post about the dyes at the end of the week to let everyone know about the limited availability. They will come back to the market at some point, but I have no details on when as of right now. This was planned as a limited time sale.

As a reminder, our store is subject to change at all times. We will have sales available for limited times and in some cases (like this) items which are only available for limited times. I recommend checking the store often!

-eric

B.S.

I checked each morning, including Sunday morning. Since I didn't see them Sunday morning, I didn't bother checking again that day.

No, I'm not start going to check hourly. That's even more B.S.

Hey folks,

I will take the blame for this one as I forgot to post about the dyes at the end of the week to let everyone know about the limited availability. They will come back to the market at some point, but I have no details on when as of right now. This was planned as a limited time sale.

As a reminder, our store is subject to change at all times. We will have sales available for limited times and in some cases (like this) items which are only available for limited times. I recommend checking the store often!

-eric

Translation. We wanted to see if anyone would buy them and get a good idea on if people would let us milk them for more money. Nobody took the bait so I'll hide behind let me remind you we can change things at anytime. You need to work on you Customer Service skills a little better Eric. It's getting pretty transparent.

Edited by Darth-Malice

Hey folks,

I just want to add a little bit of clarity and to reiterate what happened with the dyes on the Cartel Market. I know there is some thought that we have some sinister intent here, or that we just pulled the dyes out of reaction to some of the negative reaction around price, the truth is simple, I messed up.

We could have done a better job of messaging around that timeliness in the patch notes and we never actually made any posts following up to that to let folks know it was temporary in the forums. In both cases, the blame falls on me. Although we wont always message everything that changes on the CM all the time (sales, etc.). I will make it a point to make sure we are as crystal clear as possible about new items, or sales around limited time/availability items.

What I can say is that the dyes will be returning the CM in the future (I don't have timing right now) and when they do they will return at the same price you saw them at this past weekend. I will make sure you guys know they are coming when they do return!

Thank you again for your patience and I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion I caused!

-eric

How do you - or the guys in marketing, guessing this was their idea - feel about the conversations currently surrounding the price and other accessibility, anyway? Has some of the voiced concern been noticed - not just about the price current, but this might be indicative of a larger trend (as HK was precedent for putting all future companions on the CM, rather than through game play; as some argue that the majority of design effort goes into CM gear sets, rather than in-game or end-game etc.)? Also, what about the question of whether you will put other, popular or rare dyes on the CM for individual purchase? Is the price then tied to the rarity of the item within the packs, the popularity/desirability of it in the player base, or - as some are arguing - that CC carry an inherent coin-to-credit ratio that you are using?

Also, Dev and Companion Blogs. What the hell. *indicates to extremely empty blog reel*

Hmm.

I think they Jumped the Shark long ago with the CM so would that make this...

Jumping the Sharknado or the Sharktopus?

Sharktopus-nado

Edited by Tatile

LOL! Good on you Bioware. I for one applaud the move. Basically, you control the supply to justify the price and now the conversation has turned from whining about the price, to whining about availability. And, the kicker is, that yes, many that were complaining about it the price will now buy them without further note and or buyers remorse.

And for those of you that missed it? So sorry... the dyes were there for at least two days if not more. So, yeah, it falls on you because you didn't pull the trigger. But if you missed it, they will be back. Bet you won't hesitate next time.

Eric, Thanks for the apology, but really, I don't require it. Like all markets, I expect things in the CM to come and go. I check when I want and buy what I want. This hand holding players through every nuance is a disservice to you and your team. I'd rather you guys work on the game and improvements therein instead of wasting all of this time coddling.

Hey folks,

-eric

Patch notes still aren't updated. There's no point in saying you're going to take the blame for something if you don't take the responsibility to fix it.

B.S.

I checked each morning, including Sunday morning. Since I didn't see them Sunday morning, I didn't bother checking again that day.

No, I'm not start going to check hourly. That's even more B.S.

I will make sure you guys know they are coming when they do return!

-eric

*Jedi mind trick on Bioware* The dyes will not be the same price, they will be half the price. Half price....

• Dev Post
Patch notes still aren't updated. There's no point in saying you're going to take the blame for something if you don't take the responsibility to fix it.

Fair point, I will get the patch notes changed to reflect that the dye was only available for a limited time.

-eric

PS - This may not happen until tomorrow.

It is amazing how 1 black dye costs 4 months of subscription. I know a lot of fanboys will start raging at me for saying this but truth is the 500cc we get for supporting this game are a joke. That's ~1 cartel pack a month... and a black dye is 2000cc. I like the game but this is absurd just like everything else cc-related so far (e.g. appearance kiosk).

Instead of making f2p have a good time and subscribers have an amazing time, they make f2p suffer ridiculous restrictions and subscribers just don't have these restrictions and have some 50% reputation bonus... I know I am getting a bit off topic but I honestly don't feel like a valued supporter.

I will see what arenas are about and then I'm out.

[...]

Can't you just admit you overpriced them and removed them to rethink the price points? Announcements like this just destroy a lot of the credibility you built which is bad considering since impressions of how much credibility you have vary widely as is.

/true

But dont wait for an answer. They wont give.

Another thing. I guess we are being punished for so many complains.

"Are complaining about the price? How about we get it off the market for some time?"

This is sad. So many diferent aproaches and ideas could have been used. Many players give real good ideas for the dye system. And they go for the lowest solution.

Im felling sorry for some Devs. I bet that inside BW its happening some good argumentations, and i guess many workers are feeling bad about these company ways to work. Its not like work on Tobaco industry or whale fishing, but defnitlily isnt the best company to be proud of working...

It is amazing how 1 black dye costs 4 months of subscription. I know a lot of fanboys will start raging at me for saying this but truth is the 500cc we get for supporting this game are a joke. That's ~1 cartel pack a month... and a black dye is 2000cc. I like the game but this is absurd just like everything else cc-related so far (e.g. appearance kiosk).

Instead of making f2p have a good time and subscribers have an amazing time, they make f2p suffer ridiculous restrictions and subscribers just don't have these restrictions and have some 50% reputation bonus... I know I am getting a bit off topic but I honestly don't feel like a valued supporter.

I will see what arenas are about and then I'm out.

Stop buying cartel packs and save your cc and wallah dye!

Hey folks,

-eric

Then be ready for the same negative reactions.

Translation. We wanted to see if anyone would buy them and get a good idea on if people would let us milk them for more money. Nobody took the bait so I'll hide behind let me remind you we can change things at anytime. You need to work on you Customer Service skills a little better Eric. It's getting pretty transparent.

Heh. You couldn't be more wrong. So first, people were buying. I know many that did and the evidence on the fleet shortly after they were posted is that bait worked. Saying nobody bought them is pure hyperbole.

And guess what? Buy pulling them, they have created more demand for these dyes. Yes, instead of a non-unique item you can purchase at any time, they made them rare item available in limited quantities justifying a high price. Lol! They aren't hiding from anything. What is transparent is their scheme to justify the price!

And... it will work. Oh yes. People will line up to get milked next time and be happy to do it.

BTW, is someone getting milked if the are happy with their purchase?

/true

But dont wait for an answer. They wont give.

Another thing. I guess we are being punished for so many complains.

"Are complaining about the price? How about we get it off the market for some time?"

This is sad. So many diferent aproaches and ideas could have been used. Many players give real good ideas for the dye system. And they go for the lowest solution.

Im felling sorry for some Devs. I bet that inside BW its happening some good argumentations, and i guess many workers are feeling bad about these company ways to work. Its not like work on Tobaco industry or whale fishing, but defnitlily isnt the best company to be proud of working...

Speculation at it's finest. They gave you the reason for their removal and you insist it's something else. The reason is right there, just move on already.

Fair point, I will get the patch notes changed to reflect that the dye was only available for a limited time.

-eric

PS - This may not happen until tomorrow.

*Emphasis mine*

After the hoopla regarding timely communication (or lack thereof) I can't help but chuckle at this.

Why don't you have a timer on items that are limited time or on-sale only for a limited time? Just having stuff (or discounts) appear and disappear without warning kind of defeats the entire purpose of limited time deals. B&M stores have weekly circulars that state the sale times, Steam has timers all over the place, etc.

Hey folks,

-eric

If you're the one who screwed this all up, why don't you put them back on immediately for about a week, for people who were hoping to save up some money to buy them??

Good grief, there are 5-year olds with better problem solving than you people.

If you're the one who screwed this all up, why don't you put them back on immediately for about a week, for people who were hoping to save up some money to buy them??

Good grief, there are 5-year olds with better problem solving than you people.

This comment was certainly productive and constructive.

You know.. it's not helpful to /smack Eric when he comes into a thread and explains what happened and that they will not duplicate the mistake. ;)

IF.. they duplicate the same mistake twice.. then you get one free /smack OK. :)

LOL! Good on you Bioware. I for one applaud the move. Basically, you control the supply to justify the price and now the conversation has turned from whining about the price, to whining about availability. And, the kicker is, that yes, many that were complaining about it the price will now buy them without further note and or buyers remorse.

And for those of you that missed it? So sorry... the dyes were there for at least two days if not more. So, yeah, it falls on you because you didn't pull the trigger. But if you missed it, they will be back. Bet you won't hesitate next time.

Eric, Thanks for the apology, but really, I don't require it. Like all markets, I expect things in the CM to come and go. I check when I want and buy what I want. This hand holding players through every nuance is a disservice to you and your team. I'd rather you guys work on the game and improvements therein instead of wasting all of this time coddling.

/Agree.

Though I do think they should put the next listing cycle up with some discount (25%) as a gesture of goodwill for not communicating they were due to come on the market for a limited window.