The Super Secret Space Project is revealed... or at least teased!

jasoneth

Well, my prediction is that it will be 8v8 instanced space battleground. It won't be on rails, but it won't be free-roaming, you queue up for it, you fight a battle in space with different star ships. Not sure if you choose your ships, buy your ships, or different classes just have their own.

But I could be wrong about all of that!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my prediction is that it will be 8v8 instanced space battleground. It won't be on rails, but it won't be free-roaming, you queue up for it, you fight a battle in space with different star ships. Not sure if you choose your ships, buy your ships, or different classes just have their own.

I could see subscribers having access to all ship types, while F2Ps get access to a single ship. IIRC LOTRO does that with monster play

BTW everyone, according to Deirdre from TORWARS.com, this isn't everything the SSSP involves around. Apparantly there is potentially more to it than what was shown

"The video confirms some things that we’ve been told although BioWare is playing a lot of this close to their hearts. So, there’s a lot that we’ve heard that was not “confirmed” in this vid. I can only assume we’ll be hearing more when the Community Team returns home again". ~Deidre Hollis

Just to keep this grounded in pragmatism.....

You guys never learn. :)

It was a fragment of content, designed to demonstrate the project is alive and presented so as to wet appetite. Nothing more, nothing less.

UNTIL it's on PTS to actually kick, squeeze, and complain about..... best to all chillax.. lest you get yourselves so worked up with projected inflation of expectations that you melt down when you see the real thing.

Sorry for the buzz kill. I just wanted it on record for when it releases and people complain it did not meet their self-inflicted expectations. :)

My prediction is it will be free flight space with lots of action ;)

Exactly.

However, even when BW has spelled things out in the past there are those who choose to ignore it and project their own unrealistic/outlandish expectations on the game then complain when it doesn't come to pass.

Hell ,look at all the people who complained about the lack of sandbox/swg features after launch, despite BW clearly outlining the game would be a combat based MMO with an emphasis on story.

You are right but at least it will be more limited.

You obviously didn't PvP much then. I took part in many, many tournaments and spent over a thousand hours Space PvP'ing in SWG and trust me when I say it was almost all to do with skill. Bad pilots lasted less than 1 second, granted but anyone with decent reflexes and who knew how to fly their ship (YPR setup, engine turn gradients, tactics etc) would be much harder to take down.

It was a bloody hard learning curve for the beginners though. So many were put off by that.

I could take down any new pilot in a heartbeat and yet spend 30 minutes non-stop dogfighting a pro. It wasn't brain surgery but it did indeed involve skill.

SWG-JTL

With out a doubt I've spent more than a year on a re-e project. But thats what made it good. I killed people in a second then sent them a tell to come back I wouldn't shoot back to let them get some practice. I also got many "lets just call this a draw today" tells after a long fight. The pilot community was one of the best I've gamed with.

Instances meaning:

Pve and pvp scenarios (perhaps even involving docking with capital ships and switching to our characters models)

But also space zones like we have with planets now

I don't think we'll ever see completely free space exploration. It's not that sort of game.

I could see subscribers having access to all ship types, while F2Ps get access to a single ship. IIRC LOTRO does that with monster play

and mounted combat as well

i don't see them taking this approach, as it's viewed very strongly as p2w (and i tend to agree a bit).

in fact, i'm glad that the cartel market seems to take no page from how lotro conducts their online store.

could you imagine being able to pay for achievement titles or rep gear? lol, that would not go over well.

Edited by oaceen

It would make sense if they made this PVP only. They already have a PVE type setup in place...the current space combat feature.

Now, if they could improve the current feature to include turret play and multiplayer and then add this feature as a persistent 24 hour PVP battleground like BF2 they would hit the mark IMO.

The "on foot" combat is very important IMO...really fun part of BF2 was to land and attack the ships internals, fight other players, etc.

the most likely conclusion

I just don't see this as a paid expansion right now. With almost no information out, why would it be? No level increase, no story of any kind that we know of. I mean if it's just a few space warzones and some pve space missions, this seems more like a major update. If they start charging for updates, I'm out.

Hopefully it involves little of the mechanics from SWG's JTL. Over-reliance on missiles, Gear was just about EVERYTHING (for example, one TIE could one or two-shot a YT Freighter (like the Millennium Falcon) even though the YT - as shown in the movies - should have been able to take several hails of fire. There was a nice on-board mechanic where passengers could make repairs, but it never got to be used because the ship could be gunned down by a one-man fighter in 2 seconds.

The pilot community there was also EXTREMELY stuck up and didn't give a flying fig about keeping the game alive by making space flight accessible and fun to all. No, they insisted on their uber weapon insti-kills.

Battlefront 2 did a MUCH nicer, more fun version of space combat and I hope that's the route Bioware goes with this. For for all, not just an uber few.

No need to apologize, because I seriously doubt that 1 post from a random joe in a 15 page thread is suddenly going to kill anyone's buzz :p

Careful there...

andrea has an inside track(she gets the weekly word from BW on what to spread around).. and just warned the visioners, that their visions are wrong.