The Super Secret Space Project is revealed... or at least teased!

jasoneth

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

based on the datamined information its going to be probably pvp or some form of pvp. There is also a ton of information that there will be 3 types of ships involved light medium and heavy and each will have different roles to play

Somewhat disappointing, sounds like it's almost based off our armor types and is just a warzone in space.

Good that they're expanding on it but I expected more than that with all this time.

Edited by Glumish

No, the camera in that video is way too twitchy for it to be on rails. There's definitely some free flying in it and the video strongly suggests it's a warzone-like scenario.

From what i see it may be some what rail like,but multi player but i would imagine it will expand.

Yah know contrary to what many think there is a ton they can do with this Engine,all that matters is time and effort and lastly budget's.

is that the boss fights in starfox 64?

if so I have no clue how you came to that conclusion from watching that video.... :rak_02:

He's talking multiplayer fights in star fox, which i guess happened during certain boss fights in Starfox 64.

And he came to that conclusion based on the datamined informaiton that this will impliment some kind of pvp system dog fight style

From what i see it may be some what rail like,but multi player but i would imagine it will expand.

Yah know contrary to what many think there is a ton they can do with this Engine,all that matters is time and effort and lastly budget's.

Datamine of space 'pvp' not long ago:

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/6888/mma3.png

Your doubt that it won't be on rails seems to be based on the idea that it can't be done, yet the video shows the camera twitch out at least two times--as if a player was making a sharp turn. I don't see that kind of twitch activity with current space missions.

Here's hoping they don't make the same mistake SOE did with JTL and balance the entire thing around PVE with no real thought to PVP (which was just one shot kills all over the place, absolutely no skill whatsoever).

I'd be personally happy if it was just free flight with no PVP at all than what JTL had.

Not happneing. Matter of fact this new system will be primarily around pvp

Oh that's a FACT now, is it?

From everything discussed about this space project thus far, where can you come to the conclusion that PvP isn't a big part of the space project?

It's not like it's a bad thing either, I mean look at all of the devs who only focus on PvE anyways (Blizzard).

Space pvp can be done well, just give ships decent shields against blasters and abilities such as ion cannons and torpedoes or what have you, then you have skill involved beyond maneuvering your ship.

Edited by Glumish

Here's hoping they don't make the same mistake SOE did with JTL and balance the entire thing around PVE with no real thought to PVP (which was just one shot kills all over the place, absolutely no skill whatsoever).

You obviously didn't PvP much then. I took part in many, many tournaments and spent over a thousand hours Space PvP'ing in SWG and trust me when I say it was almost all to do with skill. Bad pilots lasted less than 1 second, granted but anyone with decent reflexes and who knew how to fly their ship (YPR setup, engine turn gradients, tactics etc) would be much harder to take down.

It was a bloody hard learning curve for the beginners though. So many were put off by that.

I could take down any new pilot in a heartbeat and yet spend 30 minutes non-stop dogfighting a pro. It wasn't brain surgery but it did indeed involve skill.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

You obviously didn't PvP much then. I took part in many, many tournaments and spent over a thousand hours Space PvP'ing in SWG and trust me when I say it was almost all to do with skill. Bad pilots lasted less than 1 second, granted but anyone with decent reflexes and who knew how to fly their ship (YPR setup, engine turn gradients, tactics etc) would be much harder to take down.

It was a bloody hard learning curve for the beginners though. So many were put off by that.

I could take down any new pilot in a heartbeat and yet spend 30 minutes non-stop dogfighting a pro. It wasn't brain surgery but it did indeed involve skill.

You're right I didn't once I realized the poor design of high weapon damage vs low shield/armor as opposed to what we dealt with in PVE (low weapon damage, high shield/armor). One shot kills didn't interest me AT ALL. Was looking for a Star Wars space fighter, not a FPS in space.

Course their timing was poor too as WOW came out a month later, so I did all the PVE stuff and got my shiny helmet and suit and quit the game for good :p

Edited by hadoken

You're right I didn't once I realized the poor design of high weapon damage vs low shield/armor as opposed to what we dealt with in PVE (low weapon damage, high shield/armor). One shot kills didn't interest me AT ALL. Was looking for a Star Wars space fighter, not a FPS in space.

Course their timing was poor too as WOW came out a month later, so I did all the PVE stuff and got my shiny helmet and suit and quit the game for good :p

That still doesn't sway the fact that this will definitely will have alot of pvp aspects to it

Oh I agree. It could have been implemented in a much better way. It really was too steep a learning curve PvP-wise.

To be able to compete against the most skilled players could take many, many hours. I had too many friends give up bothering with it and stick to Space PvE. A pity imo as I had some of the most fun gaming hours of my life in SWG's Deepspace (PvP zone) 2005-2011.

EDIT: You quit SWG in 2004 then. Pity as over the next 7 years they managed to add/change quite a few things space related.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Provided by BioWare at the Community Cantina in Seattle on Saturday 31st August 2013.

Enjoy!

"Strategic World" and "full scale battle" let think that it is a new planet + space combat PvP

Edited by Juriel

Great, it's just a warzone for space.

Well at least it's something, if barely what was begged for years before this game released.

Then again I could just be getting ahead of myself and they might actually add open world space, but that's kind of reaching out there at this point. Maybe, though. They have been spending a lot of time on this. Perhaps they'll develop it more, it'd be cool if you had your own Pilot talent tree and leveling system as well as a questline to progress through pilot ranks. Ship customization, etc.

Of course its a WZ in space. THESE THINGS TAKE TIME. Obviously the first iteration of anything is going to be a basic scenario.

Most likely it's a PVP warzone with side A versus side B. No, were not going to have light years of space to roam because thats not how this game works. Its a themepark game. End of discussion.

But for the love of star wars get some perspective people. They give us a teaser and already the self important yahoos who have nothing better to do than bag on Bioware because they don't get some infinite free roaming space scenario where you have to pause every couple of hours to make your character eat and take a crap out the airlock. Are you so bored that you criticize and downplay everything they do because it doesn't fit your ludicrously narrow view of what a game is and should be? You haven't even played a demo yet!

This kind of stuff take time, money and resources. Its complicated. I feel so bad for the impatient self absorbed armchair developers who are never happy with anything. Your life must be a miserable ball of self hate and loathing while you go around hating on everything you see. Its sad and hilarious all at the same time. Its funny because here you are, paying to play a product you don't even like. "Bioware is killing this game....waasaaaah, waaaaaaaah, SWG was given to us by Jesus."

If you really do have better ideas then get off your lazy rear end and go get a job in the industry where we can see all your grandiose ideas in action. I'm absolutely positive YOUR game will be the pinnacle of modern gaming. It will be bug free and all your ideas will blow us away. You will combine every game into some perfect amalgamation art, sound and light. Of corse we will all wonder how we lived without you gracing us with your tiny slice of heaven.

Or you can shut your yapper and be glad bioware is making some major, sweeping improvement to the game.

Edited by Arkerus

i don't understand what the hype is all about here...the video is a very short cinematic and not even actual game play...and to me, it looks like its still going to be on rails :/

am I missing something here?

The last 3 seconds seem very much to be ingame footage. Also they show a twitchiness in the screen shake that heavily implies free roaming space movement. Watch it again to see what I mean.

Some, myself included, see this as a great step forward for SWTOR. We obviously need more info but as a teaser it sure does it's job imo.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

The last 3 seconds seem very much to be ingame footage. Also they show a twitchiness in the screen shake that heavily implies free roaming space movement. Watch it again to see what I mean.

Some, myself included, see this as a great step forward for SWTOR. We obviously need more info but as a teaser it sure does it's job imo.

^this

and this little video kinda confirm some datamined info...

If this is in fact PvP centric, and I hope it is, I seriously hope they leave any type of PvP upgrade (gear, mods, ship parts) OUT of it. Make it based PURELY on skill, that's real PvP.

It would also be great if they developed some PvE based scenarios around this system as well, perhaps with the use of our own personal ships. There I could see ship parts and such coming into play. Perhaps some kind of ship customization, skins, etc...

All in all I am super excited for this. Many of us have been asking for this since before the game went live. They said they were working on it and they told the truth. Well done Bioware. I wouldn't mind waiting for this to be a full blow expansion chock full of systems and features instead of 1 PvP map patched in. Think of all the possibilities! Free flight space combat, both PvP and PvE. Flashpoints and Operations based on this new system. It could be pretty amazing.