The Super Secret Space Project is revealed... or at least teased!

jasoneth

If this is in fact PvP centric, and I hope it is, I seriously hope they leave any type of PvP upgrade (gear, mods, ship parts) OUT of it. Make it based PURELY on skill, that's real PvP.

It would also be great if they developed some PvE based scenarios around this system as well, perhaps with the use of our own personal ships. There I could see ship parts and such coming into play. Perhaps some kind of ship customization, skins, etc...

All in all I am super excited for this. Many of us have been asking for this since before the game went live. They said they were working on it and they told the truth. Well done Bioware. I wouldn't mind waiting for this to be a full blow expansion chock full of systems and features instead of 1 PvP map patched in. Think of all the possibilities! Free flight space combat, both PvP and PvE. Flashpoints and Operations based on this new system. It could be pretty amazing.

Indeed it could!!!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who thinks the teaser is showing more rails or "more of the same" - watch how the camera follows the ship, and is constantly behind it as it turns.

It's probably not "open" space - envision something more like boxes that you get to fly around in. But it certainly looks like full control of your ship within that box.

Sorry, maybe I am not over-analysing the way everyone else is, but that looked to me like exactly what we already have.

I didn't see anything there that looked new. That could have been a teaser for our current space missions as far as I could see.

So for the folks who can't seem to take a few seconds to look at the threads and the additional leaks I will make this very clear:

There is a variable on a datamined info sheet that says "ENTER PVP SPACE".

There are also 3 different fighters to pick from on each side. This is PvP people. Stop asking the question.

Edited by Arkerus

If this is in fact PvP centric, and I hope it is, I seriously hope they leave any type of PvP upgrade (gear, mods, ship parts) OUT of it. Make it based PURELY on skill, that's real PvP.

It would also be great if they developed some PvE based scenarios around this system as well, perhaps with the use of our own personal ships. There I could see ship parts and such coming into play. Perhaps some kind of ship customization, skins, etc...

All in all I am super excited for this. Many of us have been asking for this since before the game went live. They said they were working on it and they told the truth. Well done Bioware. I wouldn't mind waiting for this to be a full blow expansion chock full of systems and features instead of 1 PvP map patched in. Think of all the possibilities! Free flight space combat, both PvP and PvE. Flashpoints and Operations based on this new system. It could be pretty amazing.

This will be released as a patch. Waiting for this to be an entire expansion (a game within game) will take years. They don't have years to wait. Incremental changes are good. Changes every handful of years are bad.

The game already has a core design. This is a PvP centric change. This is not a change to the core game design.

Edited by Arkerus

So for the folks who can't seem to take a few seconds to look at the threads and the additional leaks I will make this very clear:

There is a variable on a datamined info sheet that says "ENTER PVP SPACE".

There are also 3 different fighters to pick from on each side. This is PvP people. Stop asking the question.

I hope their envision of *Super Secret Space Project* is not or will not end with a one or two space pvp warzones. Why name such a basic simple thing that should have been present here a while ago 'SSSP'

They added warzone maps in the past and now arenas and never called any super secret ground project because they are nothing groundbreaking, unique and/or special. Many games have them. By '''''SSSP''''' *code-name* i personally expect more then one pvp map/warzone in space.

This is my concern. However that to me looked like some kind of PVP scenario with generic ships.

Hopefully its part of something a lot bigger :)

Anyone else hoping that is like the Star Wars Battlefront space battles? Y'know, the ability to land your ships in the other person's capital ship and destroy it from the inside?

It's def NOT a rail shooter. Watch the video closely, even though it's quick, there are sudden jerky movement that suggest it's much more open. Now is it gonna be a total free roam with open area space zones around planets? I'm not sure about that. I'm leaning toward more of a Rogue Squadron style or possibly X-Wing alliance. Which I'm all for, ANY space game that isn't on rails is better than the current rail shooter we got that's worse than starfox 64.

To the people that are already throwing out assumptions about how it's PvP CENTRIC. I think you are wrong, I saw a few people say it's just a space warzone... REALLY? Seriously really? You think they have been working on this for 2 years now JUST to make a space warzone? No way in hell, I'm sure there will be pvp involved with it but that is not gonna be the centric main focus of it.

People are tryin to come up with literally ANY form of excuses atm to hate on this when the clip is super short. I think many are just in disbelief this is happening and aren't getting their hopes up simply cuz the space game we got atm is terrible. There was even one person in this thread that came up with the up most and totally ridiculous assumption that it's still a rail shooter than multiple people can do at the same time... lmfao what? :confused:

Me, I'm the opposite, I have high hopes for this and loved that little teaser which I'm wondering how it got leaked in the first place. I can't wait to see a real video and or demonstration of this new space game we got. :D

It would make sense if they made this PVP only. They already have a PVE type setup in place...the current space combat feature.

Now, if they could improve the current feature to include turret play and multiplayer and then add this feature as a persistent 24 hour PVP battleground like BF2 they would hit the mark IMO.

The "on foot" combat is very important IMO...really fun part of BF2 was to land and attack the ships internals, fight other players, etc.

How many times have I and other's told you the sssp WAS REAL and coming? Other accounts on me as well ;) I know it's hard to not get discouraged sometimes because it doesn't seem like something is happening because no news was reported on it. But it was not a carrot after all. It was never designed to be a carrot and you have to realize BioWare needed time to work on this until they could tease it to us.

Now, I hope all you doubters that bashed BioWare for saying "lol...sssp isn't real" will now apologize to them for all the accusations of it not being in the game. We have told you time and time again it is real. So this just proves it. Some people know ;)

Anyway, looks AWESOME!! :D

Looks like an instanced free flight zone for rvr style space battles. I know that's a big inference to make, but based on Daniel Erickson's comments about 3d free roam space being at the top of everyone's list combined with the lead in showing massive amounts of fighters on each side at least gives that inference some support. The brief gameplay footage also suggests more YPR control than the current rail shooter has. I'm just curious as to whether they'll implement tab targeting, a full HUD and a toolbar with some of the special abilities such as EMP, etc. (Would make it somewhat like JTLs droid programs).

I'm also glad they chose generic ship models as that should solve the rendering problems that bottleneck this engine when its forced to render too many unique meshes and textures, which in turn should allow for the large scale rvr.

Just remember people. You can speculate all you want about it being on rails (just stop saying that please, because it's not going to be) but when BioWare keeps giving more information to blow your socks off and hoot and holler, then you'll know even more. Keep looking to the future, like I said earlier great things are in store for the game ;)

It would make sense if they made this PVP only. They already have a PVE type setup in place...the current space combat feature.

just putting this out there that although pvp space combat sounds really fun, i really hope it's not only pvp.

if the current system was not on-rails, solo-only, and extremely scripted, i would be ok with this new stuff being pvp only, so i hope they flesh this out and give us some free-roaming cooperative missions that aren't scripted as well as pvp stuff.

an 'open world' zone with pvp and pve elements could be pretty cool too. fight enemy player-controlled fighters and npc-controlled capital ships. attack/defend space stations, etc.

It would make sense if they made this PVP only.

I disagree completely. While PvP is certainly fun(to me), the majority of players(aka cumsters) are PvE focused. So, seeing as how the majority of Bioware's customers prefer PvE, and pretty much everyone wants an overhauled "free fly" space system, it would make zero financial sense for Bioware to make it PvP only.

I disagree completely. While PvP is certainly fun(to me), the majority of players(aka cumsters) are PvE focused. So, seeing as how the majority of Bioware's customers prefer PvE, and pretty much everyone wants an overhauled "free fly" space system, it would make zero financial sense for Bioware to make it PvP only.

Maybe he was thinking "it makes sense" from the standpoint of BioWare making stupid decisions that cost them money :p

It's def NOT a rail shooter. Watch the video closely, even though it's quick, there are sudden jerky movement that suggest it's much more open. Now is it gonna be a total free roam with open area space zones around planets? I'm not sure about that. I'm leaning toward more of a Rogue Squadron style or possibly X-Wing alliance. Which I'm all for, ANY space game that isn't on rails is better than the current rail shooter we got that's worse than starfox 64.

To the people that are already throwing out assumptions about how it's PvP CENTRIC. I think you are wrong, I saw a few people say it's just a space warzone... REALLY? Seriously really? You think they have been working on this for 2 years now JUST to make a space warzone? No way in hell, I'm sure there will be pvp involved with it but that is not gonna be the centric main focus of it.

People are tryin to come up with literally ANY form of excuses atm to hate on this when the clip is super short. I think many are just in disbelief this is happening and aren't getting their hopes up simply cuz the space game we got atm is terrible. There was even one person in this thread that came up with the up most and totally ridiculous assumption that it's still a rail shooter than multiple people can do at the same time... lmfao what? :confused:

Me, I'm the opposite, I have high hopes for this and loved that little teaser which I'm wondering how it got leaked in the first place. I can't wait to see a real video and or demonstration of this new space game we got. :D

Those that are saying it's pvp oriented arn't saying it cause they are trying to hate on it. They are saying it because of datamined info like THIS strongly suggest that pvp is the central part of the space project. Not saying that's all of it but based on the info we have its a good majority of it

Also this isn't a leaked video this is the video Bioware themselves gave to the people who came to the cantina in Seattle

Edited by MisterBlackJack